Pup in the air

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
Cust0dian

Pup in the air

#1 Post by Cust0dian »

Good day, sirs and madams.

Not a long time ago I looked into Turbopup thread and saw that people weren't able to download this (gorgeous) distro. It was (and now again) hosting on SendSpace — great service for file exchange with friends… who will download something only a couple of times and then forget about it. Nothing personal, SS, you just can't be a good shelter for our dogs, and here's exactly why (aka SendSpace limitations):
  • Maximum file size: 300MB
  • Lifetime of uploaded file: 30 days from last download
  • Also: speed limit for downloading, no direct linking, no download-accelerator support…
So I thought, that there must be a better way to share PUPs for such independent developers. I started to look into file-hosting services that would have at least 1GB file size limitation to upload (I really like Lighthouse, and you know… it's relatively BIG), uploaded files will never expire and direct linking will be supported (I just hate ads and leapfrogging from page to page). And all this for free. Also meeting all this requirements will mean that if you're not a developer, you can simply backup your Puppy savefiles there and leave more space on your real hard drive.

For some of you this might sound quite ambitious, I know — it's like having your own FTP, but made from air. But our world is moving on and we have a chance to benefit from it.

Others will think: "DropBox". Yes, you're definitely right — DropBox is a "must have". But I'll get to it later, for now I want to share one service, that doesn't fit my starting conditions: files do expire here.

0. GE.TT
Ge.tt ­— quite new, completely web-based (no Java or Flash) service. Sometimes I see it in topics like "Drop.io alternative", but I don't think there is that much similarity between them. Well, there is actually one thing ­— design. Drop.io had superb look, Ge.tt following that style: simple and effective. So, here's what we have at ge.tt:
  • Maximum file size: 2GB (actually, browser/system limit, but I haven't test it with Puppy)
  • Lifetime of uploaded file: 90 days from last download
  • Also: direct linking, some speed limit, no download-accelerator support
The idea is that you create a "Share" ­— a shared folder, and upload files there. Just like this: http://ge.tt/9CMDr15 — folder and if you go to that folder and right-click on download under needed file (in my case it's lupu-525.iso) and then choose Copy link location in context menu, you'll get your almost direct link — http://api.ge.tt/0/9CMDr15/0/blob/download. I said almost because downloader must be able to follow redirection to get that file, but it will work with any browser or command line downloader like wget or aria (the only thing which, unfortunately, wasn't able to download anything from ge.tt was a web-service called BurnBit, and I'll talk about it later).

So, in my opinion, ge.tt ­is a notable service: all you need is browser with JavaScript enabled. If you won't register, your share will expire in 30 days. And one more thing about ge.tt is if you enable AdBlock all ads will magically disappear.

1. DropBox
DropBox — well-known service for backup and cloud storage. Strait to the point:
  • Maximum file size: 300MB from web interface, unlimited with DropBox application (for Lucid [PortableLinuxApps.org] — make executable and run)
  • Lifetime of uploaded files: infinite
  • Also: direct linking, download-accelerator support, no notable speed limit
  • Storage size: 4GB, here's exactly how:
    1. Register with referral link, here's my for example: http://db.tt/25CI0rm (granting you 2.25GB)
    2. Complete "Getting Started" and become mighty DropBox Guru (+250MB)
    3. Connect DropBox to someone's (it may be even your's) Twitter and Facebook accounts from HERE (+640MB)
    4. DropQuest #1 is finished, so stay tuned for next one (thanks, GustavoYz) Take a look and try to complete at DropQuest and when you'll recognize that you're pure genius, follow this little guide or this one (thanks, noryb009), it's like having personal tiny devil sitting on your shoulder (and he also makes magic, so DropBox gives you +1GB of free space)
Everything you need is to upload your file into "Public" folder and copy public link, it will look something like this: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9363239/lupu-525.iso

One thing about DropBox application is to make sure you configured it to create "DropBox" folder outside Puppy savefile, because this folder automatically synchronizing with cloud and can "eat up" all your free space.

DropBox might be the best choice, but it doesn't like really intense usage (a lot of downloads at the same time). Sadly, but I don't know how next services deal with such moments. Maybe they are more loyal because of their less popularity.

Apart from this all, DropBox can be used as hosting for HTML site with CSS, simply put them into Public with index.html file, and try to download it :D

2. Wuala
Wuala — another solution for cloud backuping. So, overall picture:
  • Maximum file size: 14GB (thanks again, green_dome)
  • Storage: 5GB (6GB if you register with promocode, here's my for example: 637AKA5GCNH77AJHCPMF) (thanks again to green_dome for keeping information up-to-date)
  • Lifetime of uploaded file: infinite
  • Also: direct linking, download-accelerator support, no speed limit
There is no web interface for Wuala, but their application is written in Java, so you need Java Runtime Environment (JRE) installed, which is available in PPM, and you can launch it (Wuala application) from HERE. From there (application) you can register and upload/download your files. Make sure that you first made new folder and change its status to shared. From that moment your files are available on links like this: http://content.wuala.com/contents/Cust0 ... 5.iso?dl=1 (note that ?dl=1)

After once starting Wuala application from there, it will be stored in /root/wuala folder, and you can start it simply clicking on wuala executable file. I would also recommend you to change the location of Data folder so it will be outside your savefile. (It can be done from the app: Tools → Options… → Local cache) and Estimate your Bandwidth (Tools → Options… → Connection)

As of 4 October, 2011, Wuala has disabled their Trading feature, which makes it just another Dropbox-like service, I'm afraid. But they still emphasize on security of your data, so take this in consideration. (Thanks, green_dome)

3. SmartBins
SmartBins — our last stop for today. It's a cloud storage service with web-based interface. Something between Ge.tt and DropBox. Let's take a look:
  • Maximum file size: 2GB (again, browser/system limitation)
  • Storage: only 1GB (but that's enough, isn't it?)
  • Also: direct linking, no download-accelerator support, speed limit about 90KB/s
Simply register and upload your files. After that you'll get something like this: https://login.smartbins.net/download/70 ... 84fd3a8140

I know, it isn't the best comparing to above two, but it will grant that your file will exist. Better slow, than none.

I really hope this topic will help someone and Puppy developers and users won't suffer from 404.

Update #1
———————————————————————————————————————
4. MyDrive thanks to emil
MyDrive — mostly a backup service, but also offering a Guest account, thus we can use it:
  • Maximum file size: 2GB
  • Storage: only 2GB
  • Also: no direct linking, no download-accelerator support, no speed limit
You need to create a Guest User, than use it to share your files with the community. For example: A bit longer, but who knows, maybe it's your best choice :)

Again, big thanks, emil.

Update #2
———————————————————————————————————————
BurnBit — summing everything up
BurnBit — not a hosting service as what I've talked before, but rather service that implements what I've been talking about in the comment section: peer-to-peer or P2P. In other words, if you have a file, you can share it from your computer and when someone gets it, he will share it too. It's like a snowball falling from the mountain — it gets bigger over the time (you can read more about it at Wikipedia). Here's how BurnBit works:
  1. You specify a direct link to your file
  2. BurnBit not downloading it, but "burning" — hashing it, so it can be distributed over BitTorrent network
  3. Then it creates a .torrent file which have BurnBit tracker in it and includes server you specified in the beginning as a Web seed
After that, you can download that .torrent file and import it to torrent downloading client such as Transmission or uTorrent. Also you can post a link to .torrent on the forum alongside with other download links. It guaranties that as long as at least one of the people (or servers as Web seeds) have your file and available, anyone can download it.

One thing to remember is that for creating a Web seed, server, hosting your file, needs to have download-accelerator support (or simply put, resuming feature for unfinished download), so we're tied to Dropbox and Wuala here.

So, my point is, you can take direct Dropbox or Wuala link and "burn" it, and you'll have torrent for your own derivative in a matter of seconds! Isn't that cool?
Last edited by Cust0dian on Fri 27 Apr 2012, 06:04, edited 14 times in total.

Aitch

#2 Post by Aitch »

There's also Mediafire,

[200mb upload/10gb total, no time limit, free...or personal]

http://www.mediafire.com/

Aitch :)

Cust0dian

#3 Post by Cust0dian »

But bare in mind, that your files can be deleted from Mediafire, though you'll receive notification before and all you need is simply log into your account to prevent that deletion

Thanks for comment, Aitch :)

Artie

#4 Post by Artie »

Thanks for this nice runthrough Cust0dian I will check these services out. And I also didn't know about portablelinuxapps.org. :)

Artie

emil

#5 Post by emil »

http://www.mydrive.ch

2 GB
gratis
lifetime: no deletion

Cust0dian

#6 Post by Cust0dian »

Thanks for reply, emil.

One problem with MyDrive — there is no way to make a direct link… But it's a great service for backuping though.

Added to first post.

noryb009

#7 Post by noryb009 »

This might be a better dropbox guide, but I haven't tried it.

Q5sys

#8 Post by Q5sys »

There are people here who will host puppy ISOs for the community on their servers. I've been considering dropping the coin myself and trying to make one massive repository of ISO files. I'd only do ISO files and leave hosting PETs and such to each individial person. Sadly the downfall of puppylinux.ca and the like, we've lost our main place to put things.
The thing holding me back right now is the bandwidth question... I dont know how much I'd need per month... and thus... what hoster would be the most economical.

Cust0dian

#9 Post by Cust0dian »

Yes, FTP is really good, but we can't rely on them all the time, as you sad, Q5sys.
My dream is PuppyTracker or something like this. Actually, there are open trackers like PublicBT, OpenBitTorrent… Official Puppy even uploaded on LinuxTracker and TuxDistro. Why can't we use p2p?

P.S. Great job on AP :)

Q5sys

#10 Post by Q5sys »

Cust0dian wrote:Yes, FTP is really good, but we can't rely on them all the time, as you sad, Q5sys.
My dream is PuppyTracker or something like this. Actually, there are open trackers like PublicBT, OpenBitTorrent… Official Puppy even uploaded on LinuxTracker and TuxDistro. Why can't we use p2p?

P.S. Great job on AP :)
we can use p2p... however we end up at the same situation, at least 1 computer (Server) somewhere that is hosting the files 24h a day. Becuase what if someone wants to download the files but there are no seeders. While I think using P2P is a good idea for new offical releases... its perhaps not the best for the smaller pupplets that are released... its an idea though.

Cust0dian

#11 Post by Cust0dian »

Q5sys wrote:we can use p2p... however we end up at the same situation, at least 1 computer (Server) somewhere that is hosting the files 24h a day. Becuase what if someone wants to download the files but there are no seeders. While I think using P2P is a good idea for new offical releases... its perhaps not the best for the smaller pupplets that are released... its an idea though.
If we, Puppy Community, could create a server where all isos will be available all the time and then make it a seeder with some tracker, it will reduce bandwidth consumption on active Puppy derivatives on the server and therefore price for maintaining, won't it? And not active isos will be still available.

Well, it's just a thought :)

Q5sys

#12 Post by Q5sys »

Cust0dian wrote:
Q5sys wrote:we can use p2p... however we end up at the same situation, at least 1 computer (Server) somewhere that is hosting the files 24h a day. Becuase what if someone wants to download the files but there are no seeders. While I think using P2P is a good idea for new offical releases... its perhaps not the best for the smaller pupplets that are released... its an idea though.
If we, Puppy Community, could create a server where all isos will be available all the time and then make it a seeder with some tracker, it will reduce bandwidth consumption on active Puppy derivatives on the server and therefore price for maintaining, won't it? And not active isos will be still available.

Well, it's just a thought :)
yea I was thinking about combining the two... however I'd have to spend time learning how to run a tracker and then seed on the same server. Most setups like that, that I have seen before use 2 servers.
I'm not so much looking for somewhere to put offical releases... I think ibiblio works great for that..

green_dome

#13 Post by green_dome »

Cust0dian, in your post, you mention Wuala as having "Maximum file size: unlimited". I do not think that is correct. It appears to be 14GB. [Ref.1][Ref.2]
I have not tested this limit.

Cust0dian

#14 Post by Cust0dian »

Updated. Thank you, green_dome. I don't have such a file either, let's trust Wuala staff.

green_dome

wuala

#15 Post by green_dome »

Just a small correction on file size limit for wuala.
After mentioning the references to 14 GB to Wuala staff, the FAQ on their site was updated. It now states: Up to 12 GB.
[Ref.]

GustavoYz

#16 Post by GustavoYz »

DropQuest its over... :(
It's all over...

We had a great run but Dropquest is now closed to new entrants (your friends who already started can still finish, though). This was our first Dropquest, but it won't be our last. Keep a look out for the next one! And get there early...
Thanks for this useful post!
8)

ocpaul20

#17 Post by ocpaul20 »

Can't Hostgator be used? I realise it is not free, but you can have unlimited bandwidth and unlimited space and unlimited subdomains. I believe Babycroc hosting package is about 100-150 USdollars.

Q5sys

#18 Post by Q5sys »

ocpaul20 wrote:Can't Hostgator be used? I realise it is not free, but you can have unlimited bandwidth and unlimited space and unlimited subdomains. I believe Babycroc hosting package is about 100-150 USdollars.
As with most places that claim 'unlimited bandwidth and unlimited space' its not. The moment you use a certain amount of % of the bandwidth on the box or a certain % of the storage on the shared box, you get a call and they complain. If you read the fine print (which usually isnt available until after purchase) the plan isnt really unlimited. Its just no set limit, the limit is whatever starts to cause issues for the other hosting packages on that box.
Since its not defined... they can claim that whenever they want and there is nothing you can do about it. It's better to pay for X amount of bandwidth so you know how much you have, than it being a sliding scale that you have no clue about.

russoodle

#19 Post by russoodle »

You're spot-on there, Q5sys. Don't forget the resources such as cpu and memory usage, too.

Because Eric hosted everything relating to Puppy, not just ISOs, his b/w usage averaged out to approx. 70GB PER DAY, IIRC, which is quite mind-boggling :shock:

Mine, thank goodness, is nowhere near that or i couldn't afford to keep it up! BUT, you just need a very popular or long-awaited release or two to drive the traffic into a feeding frenzy.

A few good examples of this are the releases of Hacao, the Vietnamese/English adaptation, which always attracts multitudes of downloaders, Legacy OS (TEENpup) and more recently, 10wt3ch's Puppy Studio, which was consistently eating up, at a guess, around 75% of bandwidth allowance all by its little self. In one month recently, my usage was 900+GB, mostly PS downloads. These examples all weighed in at over 200+MB too and it's amazing how it manages to add up.

I don't know what the answer is. I'd like to be able to host every bit of Puppy-paraphernalia there is going but i can't and realistically, i doubt that anyone else can, either. I mean those of us kennel-dwellers, not places like ibiblio or Internode.

Perhaps those who would like to host, or do so already, could work out a way of balancing the load between us, if that's possible.....i don't know..
Anyway, i'm willing to help if anyone has any suggestions.

My 0.2c for now.
[i][color=Green][size=92]The mud-elephant, wading thru the sea, leaves no tracks..[/size][/color][/i]

p310don

#20 Post by p310don »

I do like the decentralised nature of p2p. It helps minimise the risk of losing everything like what happened with puppylinux.ca. If enough users with decent broadband and decent quotas could seed torrents, for example, then a lot of major iso's could be shared.

Even things like the open/libreoffice sfs's and other large programs could be shared efficiently across a large number of seeders.

Then if the host site only had torrent files on it, it'd be a comparatively small bandwidth usage, as opposed to whole iso's.