Puppy 1.08 on an old Dell Latitude CPi notebook

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
svic53

Puppy 1.08 on an old Dell Latitude CPi notebook

#1 Post by svic53 »

I've been running Puppy 1.08 for about two weeks on an old Dell Latitude CPi, which was recently purchased for about $75 US, plus s/h, etc. Primary hardware: Pentium II @ 266MHz, 128MB RAM, 6GB HD. This notebook doesn't have a CD-Rom drive, although one could be easily added. The notebook only has a floppy, so I've been booting from a 512MB Creative MuVo TX FM MP3 Player. It does work as a USB flashdrive with Puppy on this notebook when booted with Wakepup. It also still functions as an MP3 player and FM radio when removed from the 1.1 USB port of the notebook.

I've also used this system with WiFi, but only one time so far with any success. The WiFi card is an old Linksys 802.11b WPC11 card, version 3, which is 16-bit (i.e., not a CardBus card). It worked in one small local restaurant when setup with WAG. It did not work when an identical method of setup was attempted in another small restaurant. For the time being, I'll attribute this to pilot error, until I become more comfortable setting up WiFi access.

At home, a Buffalo Tech Wireless Router WHR-HP-G54 is attached to my cousin's DSL line, which I access from a Buffalo Tech wireless ethernet converter, WZLZZI-TX4-G54HP. These were chosen as WPA encryption is automatically provided via the router & ethernet converter without placing more of a load on the computer. I'm also using a 16-bit SMC PCMCIA ethernet card to add the necessary ethernet port to the notebook.

I don't have the sound running yet, but the soundchip is listed as a Crystal 4237B from the BIOS. I'll see if I can find the driver for this chip when by looking around the Puppy websites some more.

One question I do have is whether or not it would be feasible to develop a Wakepup floppy which can boot Puppy from a Compact Flash card installed in a PCMCIA conversion card? I'd actually like to have the conversion card in one of the PCMCIA slots, containing Puppy and additonal data storage, plus the WiFi card in the other slot. Possible, or isn't there sufficient demand for this type of notebook setup? Thanks in advance to everyone for your help!