Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 21 Aug 2014, 22:08
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
e-Sword bible software installation
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 7 of 8 [114 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
Jim1911

PostPosted: Fri 04 Feb 2011, 16:25    Post subject:  

Latest version of e-Sword is v9.8.3. Above comments still apply about the download function.
jblake

PostPosted: Sat 05 Feb 2011, 07:28    Post subject: Re: e-Sword bible software installation
Subject description: How to install e-Sword to run under Wine in Puppy (updated Jan 2011)

Jim1911 wrote:

Extras - www.e-sword.net/extras.html

That does not link to topical files.
I don't have the URL for topical files. Sad

The Resource Download manager doesn't link to the Bible Illustration that e-Sword offers. http://www.e-sword.net/illustrations.html is the old link for that resource.

jonathon
Jim1911

PostPosted: Sat 05 Feb 2011, 11:53    Post subject: Re: e-Sword bible software installation
Subject description: How to install e-Sword to run under Wine in Puppy (updated Jan 2011)

jblake wrote:
Jim1911 wrote:

Extras - www.e-sword.net/extras.html

That does not link to topical files.
I don't have the URL for topical files. Sad

The Resource Download manager doesn't link to the Bible Illustration that e-Sword offers. http://www.e-sword.net/illustrations.html is the old link for that resource.
jonathon
Sorry, nothing we can do about Rick's e-Sword site. Unfortunately the download links that are still available outside of e-Sword are from the older versions and they don't link to all available e-Sword resources. Sad
    There are two solutions from my standpoint:
    (1) Solve the problem with the e-Sword downloader running correctly under Wine. (This is above my skill level.)
    (2) Redesign the new web site to allow browser links to check all available resources as it did previous to the 9.8 updates.

I have brought this problem to Rick's attention, he has been unresponsive to suggested changes to his web site to make it more browser friendly. His only suggestions are for linux users to use an older version or fix Wine so his downloader works. Sad See page 1 for current links that are found in older versions. Very Happy Maybe he will respond to someone else's request for a more browser friendly site.

You may want to take a look at Bibletime and Xiphos, both have linux versions that are as good as or better than the corresponding Windows version.
disciple

PostPosted: Sat 05 Feb 2011, 17:53    Post subject: Re: e-Sword bible software installation

Jim1911 wrote:
His only suggestions are for linux users to use an older version or fix Wine so his downloader works. Sad

But he only provides a download of the latest version... is he happy for us to redistribute the older version(s) if necessary? (IIRC this is explicitly forbidden in the license agreement)

- - -
Beware the demented serfers!
Jim1911

PostPosted: Sun 06 Feb 2011, 10:48    Post subject: Re: e-Sword bible software installation

disciple wrote:
Jim1911 wrote:
His only suggestions are for linux users to use an older version or fix Wine so his downloader works. Sad

But he only provides a download of the latest version... is he happy for us to redistribute the older version(s) if necessary? (IIRC this is explicitly forbidden in the license agreement)
It may help for you to tell him about the problems he has caused linux users, I have, and got nowhere. Maybe, he will at least redesign his site to make it more browser user friendly, and if nothing else, provide links for older versions for new linux users who must link with browsers.

It would also be nice if browser links were available for the newer resources that are available for a fee.
Jim1911

PostPosted: Sat 12 Feb 2011, 15:58    Post subject: Link to CrossOver Linux  

For what it's worth, the e-Sword site now has a link on it's home page to Codeweaver's CrossOver Linux. However, looking at Codeweaver's e-Sword forum link, I get the impression that it's not worth downloading the trial that's offered.
Frank Cox

PostPosted: Sat 12 Feb 2011, 18:43    Post subject: New Deal  

I am going to add esword to puppy for the first time since they changed the download format. The solution I came to in Ubuntu was to add the program with the installer and manually add old modules.

What I am going to attempt now is to load the old program in Puppy . Would you be so kind as to post how to copy the program from one puppy to another?

If its legal I will be happy to send anyone the modules I do have which include many of the books and most of the graphics.

I may also go ahead and get Cross Over , mostly for Quicken and the games and see if it solves the problem of downloading the modules. For 1/2 price it may be a good deal.

Will let you know how it went.
Jim1911

PostPosted: Sat 12 Feb 2011, 19:56    Post subject:  

Frank Cox wrote:
I am going to add esword to puppy for the first time since they changed the download format. The solution I came to in Ubuntu was to add the program with the installer and manually add old modules.

What I am going to attempt now is to load the old program in Puppy . Would you be so kind as to post how to copy the program from one puppy to another?

If its legal I will be happy to send anyone the modules I do have which include many of the books and most of the graphics.

I may also go ahead and get Cross Over , mostly for Quicken and the games and see if it solves the problem of downloading the modules. For 1/2 price it may be a good deal.

Will let you know how it went.
Procedure is simple:

1. Boot into your old pup and copy the hidden file /root/.wine to a safe location.

2. Boot into your new pup, install wine if you haven't already done so. Then delete the hidden file /root/.wine. After deleting, either link your old /root/.wine that you copied to a safe location or copy it to /root.

3. Next install the esword.pet from page 1 that you used to set up your old pup to launch e-Sword. Then launch e-Sword. Wine will reconfigure and your program should launch.

4. To install the latest e-Sword just download the new 9.8.3 version from the e-Sword site (link on page 1), and double click to install. Now you should have the latest version working.

As for Crossover, I don't believe it's worth a download. It appears to have problems even with the older versions of e-Sword that we already have working perfectly in puppy using Wine.
Frank Cox

PostPosted: Sat 12 Feb 2011, 20:16    Post subject: Crossover  

Jim1911 wrote:
Procedure is simple:

1. Boot into your old pup and copy the hidden file /root/.wine to a safe location.

2. Boot into your new pup, install wine if you haven't already done so. Then delete the hidden file /root/.wine. After deleting, either link your old /root/.wine that you copied to a safe location or copy it to /root.

3. Next install the esword.pet from page 1 that you used to set up your old pup to launch e-Sword. Then launch e-Sword. Wine will reconfigure and your program should launch.

4. To install the latest e-Sword just download the new 9.8.3 version from the e-Sword site (link on page 1), and double click to install. Now you should have the latest version working.

As for Crossover, I don't believe it's worth a download. It appears to have problems even with the older versions of e-Sword that we already have working perfectly in puppy using Wine.

Thanks for the quick reply Jim. That sounds easy enough.
I was planning on getting Crossover for the games and for Quicken before this came up, I would not buy it for this.
It is odd that they would try and use Esword for a hook seeing it seems to be no better and apparently even worse than wine alone.
Jim1911

PostPosted: Sat 12 Feb 2011, 20:23    Post subject:  

Crossover will be worthwhile if they can show with their trial download that it will successfully run e-Sword 9.8.3 perfectly, including the eSword downloader that doesn't work in puppy or ubuntu. Otherwise, when new modules are desired, we are forced to use MS Windows.
Subito Piano

PostPosted: Wed 23 Feb 2011, 23:29    Post subject:  

Forgive me if this was already addressed, but has anyone tried TheWord? This is the only Bible study I have seen that is substantively better than e-sword, BibleTime, Xiphos, etc. I mean, it's not simply that i "prefer" it, this program really has MUCH more packed in it. It easily installs under WINE, no fuss, no muss. Very customizable, maps, Greek/Hebrew, even BOTH the KJV and the HCSB with Strong's links, etc. Definitely worth a look.
Frank Cox

PostPosted: Thu 24 Feb 2011, 01:52    Post subject: Th Word  

Subito Piano wrote:
Forgive me if this was already addressed, but has anyone tried TheWord? This is the only Bible study I have seen that is substantively better than e-sword, BibleTime, Xiphos, etc. I mean, it's not simply that i "prefer" it, this program really has MUCH more packed in it. It easily installs under WINE, no fuss, no muss. Very customizable, maps, Greek/Hebrew, even BOTH the KJV and the HCSB with Strong's links, etc. Definitely worth a look.

I will try it but it sounds pretty limited from your description. Esword has many bibles as well as commentaries, maps and books.
Subito Piano

PostPosted: Thu 24 Feb 2011, 09:36    Post subject:  

Sorry if i was unclear -- it has many other translations plus commentaries; i meant that unlike most programs that only index the KJV to Strong's this also indexes the Holman Christian Standard Version to Strong's -- of course, it has the usual ESV, NET, and many other translations as well.

Do post back your thoughts after you try it! Smile
Jim1911

PostPosted: Thu 24 Feb 2011, 10:51    Post subject:  

Subito Piano wrote:
I tried it and it's a keeper. I have started a new thread on theWord. Please use it for further discussion and preserve this tread for e-Sword concerns.

Thanks,
Jim

Frank Cox

PostPosted: Mon 21 Mar 2011, 13:37    Post subject: You're the man!  

Thanks Jim, solving the download issue was brilliant, you and David both have been incredible!
Page 7 of 8 [114 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
Jump to: