Opera 10 wont see my flash!

Using applications, configuring, problems
hondasid

Opera 10 wont see my flash!

#1 Post by hondasid »

I am currently building a puplet based off the Barebones Lucid 5.01 I made. The problem is that somewhere in the building of barebones, I have seriously injured the flash install. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I have searched the forum and google. I have all the mozilla plugins but opera still doesn't see them. updated to 11 and still didnt work even ff and sm wont see it. what did I do?
Instead of looking out Windows, I'm playing with my Puppy.

hondasid

#2 Post by hondasid »

ok, so a fresh install of FF 3.6 finds and uses flash perfectly. how can i port this capability to opera 10? Opera 11 didn't see it either and it was way slower than either FF or Opera 10. Plus FF 3.6 still has a page tearing problem (it tore this page I am writing). Someone said use ldconfig, but all it did was go to the next line on the terminal. Any ideas?

Sit Heel Speak

#3 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

In Opera:

(Ctrl-F12)->Advanced->Content->Plugin Options

(screencap)

The plugin path, at least on the Opera 11.01 .pet and .sfs I created, is

/usr/lib/opera/plugins:/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins:/usr/lib/xulrunner-addons/plugins

...so if libflashplayer.so is in any of these, and provided you have run ldconfig (if ldconfig just returns to a prompt, that means it completed correctly, with no errors) then Opera should find it.

If there is no "Shockwave Flash" plugin listed in the upper window of the Plug-ins dialog...then left-click the "Find New..." button at upper right on the Plug-ins dialog, and this should find libflashplayer.so.

If you want to block Flash animations unless you tell them to play, check "Enable plug-ins only on demand" on the Preferences screen. Otherwise, just check "Enable plug-ins".

As for the page tearing, I saw this in Opera, until I installed the ATi Catalyst driver for my ATi HD 4550 video card, as per the recommendation of the Lucid 5.20 Quickpet->Drivers dialog. Now scrolling is smooth as silk.

As for Opera being way slower than Firefox, try playing with the settings of Opera Turbo (little clock in the status bar at lower left, left-click the down-arrow beside it, Configure). Sometimes Turbo Auto or Turbo On helps tremendously. Sometimes not. Depends on the site.

HTH, SHS

hondasid

#4 Post by hondasid »

all of those plugins are there and the options are set in the right place. it still doesn't see them, not even java.

the page tearing i was referring to was in FF 3.6.3. I experience no problems other than loading plugins in Opera. And I meant FF was slower than Opera. Opera 11 was slower than 10, but still fast than FF. The auto-turbo feature is very nice.

Sit Heel Speak

#5 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

hondasid wrote:all of those plugins are there and the options are set in the right place. it still doesn't see them, not even java.
Well then, something isn't right. If Firefox can use it, then Opera should be able to.

Are you using my Opera 11.01 .pet or .sfs, Michalis's, one of the installers from opera.com, or some other distribution of it?

I am finding Opera 11 to be significantly faster than 10.

hondasid

#6 Post by hondasid »

yeah i know, thats what i'm trying to figure out. i don't even know where to go. I'm gonna have to pull out my linux textbook and see what i can find that may help me debug this thing.

The installs I'm using have come straight from the puppy ibiblio site.

Sit Heel Speak

#7 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

hondasid wrote:The installs I'm using have come straight from the puppy ibiblio site.
I take that to mean,
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... -Lucid.pet

I'll have it downloaded in 15 minutes, then take a look at it.

Meanwhile, have you tried

View->Developer Tools->Plug-Ins

and make sure they are all Enable'd?

hondasid

#8 Post by hondasid »

theyre not showing up to enable. when i click on plug-ins options it shows no plug ins recognized at all. I have 5 folders listed to search for plug-ins and not a single one is recognized. i have figure out the java problem and that is my fault. i still can't beat this flash thing though.

Sit Heel Speak

#9 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

Hmm. I remember now, I tried Opera-11.00-Lucid and found it to be lacking in fit, finish, and feel. Which was one reason why I set out to create my own.

Attached is the file /root/.opera/operaprefs.ini from my present installation of 11.01. Compare it to the /root/.opera/operaprefs.ini from your present installation of Opera-11.00-Lucid and you'll see that much is left unset in the latter. Actually, I do not believe that a fresh package of Opera should contain anything in /root at all, in other words /root/.opera should not exist inside the .pet, it should rather be allowed to be created and initialized by Opera itself upon first run--in other words, not pre-set by the packager (and, yeah, I know, I violated that rule in my pre-11.01 Opera packages. With experience comes whizdumb.).

I suggest you uninstall Opera-11.00-Lucid, reboot and delete /root/.opera, then install my 11.01 .pet. And give it the mods I suggest in the second post in that thread. Set up this way, it really kicks a$$.
Attachments
operaprefs.ini.gz
/root/.opera/operaprefs.ini from the SHS Opera-11.01, as presently configured
(6.47 KiB) Downloaded 246 times
Last edited by Sit Heel Speak on Fri 04 Feb 2011, 07:59, edited 1 time in total.

hondasid

#10 Post by hondasid »

ok, I'm downloading ur version now and will look at the file difference. I'll post the result in a few minutes.

Sit Heel Speak

#11 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

Great. I'm going to bed now. Back in 12 or so.

hondasid

#12 Post by hondasid »

Sorry, no good. It works great and ur right, it is a lot faster than the repo version, even than 10, so I'm keeping it. Now I just need to solve this pesky plugin problem. Great job on the pet and I'm sure my error has nothing to do with it. I have it working on at least 2 other pups of the same version. I believe the problem lies somewhere in a removed file in barebones. maybe I'll go back and rebuild it and leave the flash and browser libs alone.

anyone have any ideas about how i can figure out what file is missing? (terminal commands, etc.)

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#13 Post by Béèm »

This is really silly.
There was a thread about it.
I found a solution, something about some dll's.
But I can't remember exactly what.

Maybe searching on opera or/and flashplayer with the puppysearch link in my sig can lead you to the thread.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

hondasid

#14 Post by hondasid »

beem, I've spent three days on this problem now. I've gone through the forum and puppy search and all of the solutions I have found have not worked.

Sit Heel Speak

#15 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

I'm downloading Barebones-501 overnight, and tomorrow will run it through my Clipper script and see that way what the differences are between it and regular Lucid-501. Maybe something obvious will jump out at me. Also, will see if my Opera package has any problems running under Lucid-501.

Meanwhile, have you tried running

Code: Select all

cd /usr/lib/opera
ldd opera
and see if anything shows as missing? Here it is in Puppy Studio 3.3, which is Lucid 5.20 under the hood:

Code: Select all

# pwd
/usr/lib/opera
# ldd opera
	linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0xffffe000)
	libX11.so.6 => /usr/lib/libX11.so.6 (0xb7655000)
	libXext.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXext.so.6 (0xb7645000)
	libSM.so.6 => /usr/lib/libSM.so.6 (0xb763b000)
	libICE.so.6 => /usr/lib/libICE.so.6 (0xb7622000)
	libXft.so.2 => /usr/lib/libXft.so.2 (0xb760e000)
	libfreetype.so.6 => /usr/lib/libfreetype.so.6 (0xb7598000)
	libpthread.so.0 => /lib/libpthread.so.0 (0xb7580000)
	librt.so.1 => /lib/librt.so.1 (0xb7577000)
	libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0xb7572000)
	libz.so.1 => /lib/libz.so.1 (0xb755d000)
	libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6 (0xb7467000)
	libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0xb7441000)
	libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib/libgcc_s.so.1 (0xb7422000)
	libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0xb72d9000)
	libfontconfig.so.1 => /usr/lib/libfontconfig.so.1 (0xb72a8000)
	libXrender.so.1 => /usr/lib/libXrender.so.1 (0xb729e000)
	libxcb.so.1 => /usr/lib/libxcb.so.1 (0xb7284000)
	libuuid.so.1 => /lib/libuuid.so.1 (0xb727f000)
	/lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xb7774000)
	libexpat.so.1 => /lib/libexpat.so.1 (0xb7258000)
	libXau.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXau.so.6 (0xb7253000)
	libXdmcp.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXdmcp.so.6 (0xb724d000)
#

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#16 Post by Béèm »

Thanks Sit Heal Speak.
Now I remember. That was the way I went, but I think for flashplayer.
(Well could be opera)
There where missing lib's, which I found in the SeaMonkey directory.
I copied (or symlinked) them and all went ok.
Time savers:

Béèm

#17 Post by Béèm »

@hondasid.
Are you sure you used the puppy search link in my sig?
Within minutes I found the post in which I found the solution.
Time savers:

hondasid

#18 Post by hondasid »

Yeah, that was one of the first pages i visited. the search link in your sig is my browser home page, i use it more than google.com. I have all of those libs linked in opera, mozilla, ff, and sm folders. Nothing. I've checked and unchecked and rechecked enable plugins box, set 5 different paths to search for plugins, and reinstalled a clean copy of another pet from a different source. I get the same result each time. No flash. I will try the ldd opera and post results. I tried ldd libflashplayer.so and got a long list of libs, but none missing.

Sit Heel Speak, I would appreciate that. I would be interested in this clipper script you speak of. I was thinking of running diff on the individual filesystem folders and seeing if that yeilded anything wild, but haven't yet. I will probably do that after running the other ldd command and I will post results.

EDIT: I ran the ldd opera in /usr/lib/opera and got the exact results you posted. IDK if this is related, but transmission for lucid from the repo freezes when the command is given. I ran it in terminal, it dropped to the next line and stayed there. Ran up a lot of CPU and RAM for like 10 minutes before I killed it. Maybe something common is missing that I don't see?

Thank you guys for your hope and I hope we can solve this problem soon.

tuxtoo

#19 Post by tuxtoo »

Hello

I had the same problem with opera-10.10 on puppy-412. I don't know if you tried the solution at the bottom post here

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=48514

Hope this is of some help.

tuxtoo

hondasid

#20 Post by hondasid »

yeah man, all of those libs are there and symlinked.