Puppy? Boot Multiple ISO from USB via Grub2 using Linux

For discussions about programming, programming questions/advice, and projects that don't really have anything to do with Puppy.
nooby

Puppy? Boot Multiple ISO from USB via Grub2 using Linux

#1 Post by nooby »

They describe how to do the install from CLI but one should be able to use the programs in puppy to do the first preparations and then one chose the many Linux isos that can be booted.

Great to ahve as show off when your good neighbor complain about his or her Ms Windows acting up.

I managed a year ago to place four isos on a 4GB usb memory.

Puppy maybe can not boot from iso directly on Grub Legacy or Grug4dos but here they make use of Grub2 so that would most likely make it boot anythign in frugal install so that looks great.

So now I only need the courage to start doing it. Should I?

Have any of you tried?

Edit typical of me to forget the link.

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/boot-multi ... ing-linux/
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

nooby

#2 Post by nooby »

I used the wellminded search to find good descriptions on how to place an grub2 on an usb but failed to find one.

How is grub2 different from grub4dos?

Suppose I use grub4dosconfig and make a bootable usb mem stick with puppy on it.

Can I then just replace the grldr file with the grldr2 whatever name the grub2 has? Okay I need to change the Menu.lst to what grub2 need

_Mark_

#3 Post by _Mark_ »

I boot 4 frugal puppy installs on a USB HD using grub2

not really sure what you are asking regarding booting iso's, but in a nutshell what I did create 4 directorys suitably named and copied the contents of each puppies iso into them and then configured grub2 to boot from them.

As I don't know your current setup and how you want to set it up I can't really give more details, I already had grub2 installed in a Ubuntu install so that made it pretty easy

by the way grub2 doesn't use menu.lst it uses /boot/grub.cfg

nooby

#4 Post by nooby »

Thanks yes that is one way to do it. To boot up a live os and tell it to install itself to a usb memory. but it has to be an OS that use grub2 and ubuntu latest is such an os.

Hm wonder which OS I have that easily can do that thing.

Do we have any puppy that can install grub2 or some pet that do it?

_Mark_

#5 Post by _Mark_ »

You don't need to install an OS just to get grub2 just download grub and install to whichever partition you want.

I just used Ubuntu because it was already installed

nooby

#6 Post by nooby »

Yes but typical for me I fail to find where those files are to download and which they are how many and and so on.

in grub legacy it was easy I went to ICPUG and he had it on hos site lin'nwin and grub4dos was simple Shinobar in grub4dosconfig place it automatically on the USB.

Now with grub2 I feel lost and have already forgotten how one prepare the usb using gparted. In what sequential order one do things.

I've searched and searched.

Most likely they are on sourcforge or some similar named site but they have so abstract text I totally fail to use them.