LibO_3.3.0 final just released

Using applications, configuring, problems
Henry

LibO_3.3.0 final just released

#1 Post by Henry »

Thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.

The existing LibreOffice-3.3.0b3_sfs4.sfs works fine in Lupu52 of course and also in QirkyNop12, but I'm anxious to use the new features just added, for example wpg import.

wuwei

#2 Post by wuwei »

Check this link

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/LibreOffice

This describes a method to install Libre Office 3.3.0 to /mnt/home in a frugal install. Much more convenient than an sfs.

Most of the listed dependencies are already in 5.2. Just add xz and then copy the long command line to your terminal and execute. That's all.

Henry

#3 Post by Henry »

Thanks, Wuwei,

Yes, I am familiar with that and it does install a /mnt/home/libreoffice-3.3.0.4 folder, but it doesn't run for me, perhaps because my /mnt/home/ is fat32, not linux?

Actually my frugal install is currently based on QirkyNop 1.2 but I have developed it quite a lot so it is "different." Anyway it works beautifully with /mnt/home/LibreOffice-3.3.0b3_sfs4.sfs, (I can't easily explain that here.) which is why I'm hoping there will be a similar sfs based on the latestLibreOffice.

I didn't mean to start a whole new topic for this - it probably should have gone into the lupu52 string. Maybe I'll ask there.

Henry

#4 Post by Henry »

As a test, I simply moved /mnt/home/libreoffice-3.3.0.4 into root, and it works.

That will do for now.

Thanks, Wuwei, coolpup

wuwei

#5 Post by wuwei »

Glad you are happy Henry.

Just a couple additional remarks:

1. SFS's are a convenient way of adding large programs to frugally installed Puppy. They have two disadvantages, though. One is that they need to be added to the startup procedure. Two, any change in a SFS messes up the desktop icon settings.
The LibreOffice installation as described in the link is an excellent way of installing LO to a non-FAT partition.
2. If you have more than one Puppy frugal install, it is VERY helpful to create a linux partition for it. And be it only for the grub folder, or for shielding this partition off of any unintentional changes or deletions from Windows.

On the other hand, everyone has his own order of things.

Have fun

Henry

#6 Post by Henry »

wuwei wrote:
1. SFS's are a convenient way of adding large programs to frugally installed Puppy. They have two disadvantages, though. One is that they need to be added to the startup procedure. Two, any change in a SFS messes up the desktop icon settings.
The LibreOffice installation as described in the link is an excellent way of installing LO to a non-FAT partition.
2. If you have more than one Puppy frugal install, it is VERY helpful to create a linux partition for it. And be it only for the grub folder, or for shielding this partition off of any unintentional changes or deletions from Windows.
Yes, I agree. For years I've been putting about everything possible (what I call data) outside the save file in sda1 vfat. Thus it's the same for and accessible to any pup-save I may use.

This is the first time I couldn't use fat32 for this. So I did go ahead and create a Linux partition for LibreOffice. I had only temporarily put it in root as a test.

Sit Heel Speak

Libreoffice-3.3.0.4 .sfs

#7 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

Last edited by Sit Heel Speak on Thu 03 Feb 2011, 00:52, edited 2 times in total.

Henry

#8 Post by Henry »

That's great news, SHS, about the .sfs. I'm anxious to try it.

I hope it will be in the _sfs4.sfs format (I think). I'm not too handy about converting these things :-)

Sorry I don't have hosting space, though.

Actually I do have some other reasons for wanting an sfs, but it's too much to go into here and now.

About the menu categories, it doesn't matter to me as I set these up as I like in the .desktop files in xfce. I would put them all in the office category and simply not display javafilter, printeradmin, and startcenter, which I don't normally use.

drblock2

#9 Post by drblock2 »

wuwei,
Thanks so much for this wonderful self-contained LibreOffice. Since I run several Puppies on several machines, this is exactly what I have been looking for. Now I can set it up once, and run it from any linux installation and even copy the directory over to another machine.

Your command line installer is neat, but it only installs to /mnt/home. If this happens to be a vfat partition, you are out of luck.

Fortunately, it is easy to overcome this difficulty by copying the txz-file to an ntfs partition, unpacking it there with xarchive.. The same thing would, of course, work with a linux partition that doesn't happen to be /mnt/home. Perhaps you should consider including this work-around in the wikka along with code for a simple download of the txz-file.

Jim1911

#10 Post by Jim1911 »

A new sfs of Libreoffice 3.3.0.4, prepared by 01micko for Lucid 5.2, should be available with Quickpet soon.

wuwei

#11 Post by wuwei »

drblock2 wrote...
wuwei,
Thanks so much for this wonderful self-contained LibreOffice.
I am tickled , but credit must go to coolpup, he is the owner of that web page I have linked to above.

Henry

Help file for LibreOffice

#12 Post by Henry »

wuwei wrote:Check this link

This describes a method to install Libre Office 3.3.0 to /mnt/home in a frugal install. Much more convenient than an sfs.

Most of the listed dependencies are already in 5.2. Just add xz and then copy the long command line to your ter
minal and execute. That's all.
Have been using this method for a while. Very fine, but where's the help file? I just realized I didn't see one.

Sit Heel Speak

Re: Help file for LibreOffice

#13 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

Henry wrote:...Very fine, but where's the help...?
@Henry:

You have seen, that I posted the SFS a few days ago, haven't you?:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=64376

Yes, it includes the help.

Henry

#14 Post by Henry »

Yes, thanks, I did see it. I was much more interested in it as a replacement for the OpenOffice sfs before I got the Opera problem identified and fixed.

When everything starting working I had no reason to abandon the portable LibreOffice - until I realized the help files had been omitted.

I guess someone like coolpup will eventually add the help to the portable, so I'm waiting to see, the help files not being immediately crucial. In either case the files are outside the save file so size is not so important. What I do like about the portable is it puts practically nothing in the save file. One only has to make sure shortcuts and exes point to the right place outside.

Your help and these packages are appreciated!

Sit Heel Speak

POSTED: the missing help files for the portable libreoffice

#15 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

(dbp October 29, 2011)
Last edited by Sit Heel Speak on Sat 29 Oct 2011, 21:34, edited 1 time in total.

Henry

Re: POSTED: the missing help files for the portable libreoffice

#16 Post by Henry »

Thanks again, SHS,

You make it so easy.
. . .
Here it is. Just download this into libreoffice/basis3.3/help and unpack it

http://myfreefilehosting.com/f/499554a180_8.71MB
File name: libreofficehelp_en.tar.gz
File size: 8.71MB . . .

musher0

#17 Post by musher0 »

Hi, "Sit Heel Speak"!

Many thanks for your LibreOffice 3.3 sfs package and for the related info! Splendid! :D
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

Henry

LibreOffice 3.3.1 just released

#18 Post by Henry »

This sounds encouraging. New logos, too :-).

I am looking forward to coolpup's new .txz files(s). Including help when available.

Henry

#19 Post by Henry »

is the place for the latest LibreOffice 3.3.1. Grab the convenient download script there. Run it in terminal to put it into /mnt/home/. Since that was vfat in my case I moved it to an ext2 partition, sda2, which I use for such things.

Actually I copied it over the previous install which preserves my huge standard.dic spell check dictionary.

Thanks, coolpup

Here's a new icon set:
http://www.datafilehost.com/download-7c751872.html

Henry

LibO_3.3.4 recently released

#20 Post by Henry »

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/LibreOffice is where it was convenient to download and install the last LibreOffice version.

However 3.4.0 has been out for a week or so and I haven't seen a single mention of it in the forum. And coolpup seems unavailable by pm.

Any hints for an easy install including help? I normally put it in an ext2 partition outside the save file.

Thanks