Barebones Lucid 5.01

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
hondasid

Barebones Lucid 5.01

#1 Post by hondasid »

I have missed building puplets from barebones since the squashfs change and Woof builds made Pet-Be-Gone, Unleashed, and Barebones obsolete. I may be the only one but I wanted a barebones with the new kernel to build from, without the built in files that come with Puppy official releases. So here it is, I hope everyone enjoys.

I only removed applications listed on the menu and libraries specific to those applications, so if you wanted a stock application, re-installing them from the repos should work fine.

This ISO was tested in QEMU and as a frugal install. I found no problems other than Viewnior need to be installed from the puppy 4 repos for Nathan wallpaper to work.

It is 91.8 MB, 36.3 MB smaller than standard Lucid 5.01.

If there are any problems please post them here. I am curious to know if my "new" way of building barebones puplets is a success.

FileDropper: http://www.filedropper.com/barebones-lucid-501
Instead of looking out Windows, I'm playing with my Puppy.

nooby

#2 Post by nooby »

I make a frugal install and tell you the result within some 30 minutes :)

Writing using your Barebone now. Did a Firefox pet install so now I only need Viewnior and GM player and Geany? to be complete :)

Works good did connect me to internet which many of the lite puppies totally fail.

So that is good.

But don't get angry on me now.

I prefer IceWm due to it show pictures and all programs screens in 1024x768 while JWM show it in 1024x600 even if one have 1024x768 loaded and the Hardware info says it is 1024x768 too.

Correction

I can install a iceWM pet in Think Linux puppy, I had never done such before

I had to log out to prompt and do startx icewm

If I find an iceWM compatible with lupu501 then how do I get it to always boot automatically. Does one have to add some script to the start up sequence?

Can one tell the Kernel boot up in menu.lst to startx icewm on barebone?

I'm in barebone now and one need nosmp on Acer D250 so if others also fail to boot do try put that one on kernel in menu.lst

Edit

Maybe I derail your thread too much. I end here unless you know how to get icewm going easily on your pup?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

stu90

#3 Post by stu90 »

Hi hondasid,

I will download and test tonight - if i am correct this is a puplet based on Lucid Puppy 5.1 and not Lucid Puppy 5.2?

Out of curiosity what process did you use to remove the built in packages?

cheers.

hondasid

#4 Post by hondasid »

nooby - I love icewm too but i left it out for size. It can easily be added, as u found out. To make it default, exit to the prompt, type xwin icewm. After it boots to the desktop it should be the default wm and will appear as such on the next reboot.

stu - Actually it is based on Lucid 5.01. I decided on this because the ndiswrapper seems to work better than 5.11 or 5.2. Also 5.2 gave me a few problems that i found out were reported already as bugs, so I decided to wait until a v1 or 2 is released.

The process I used involved manually removing all programs and their related files one by one using EditSFS and Pfind. It took me an entire day but I found it well worth it and a lot easier than Woof, Woofy, and T2.

I plan to make a barebones for all new kernel releases of Upup, Dpup, and Spup. I will be working on the Barebones Squeeze and Barebones Spup over the next week and will have them uploaded when they are finished.

nooby

#5 Post by nooby »

Thanks that worked well.

Your barebone are much bigger than the very small ones like slitaz 35MB or something.

What is it that make them that small. Or TinyCore being say 10MB or so.

No criticism just curious.

hondasid

#6 Post by hondasid »

Mostly the older kernel makes them smaller. Barebones puppy 4.21 was around 60 MB and it booted to a full x window, just no programs. The newer kernel (2.6.30 +) are fairly large by themselves with all the modules that have recently become available. Bare 5.01 is 91.8, which is roughly 25-30 MB extra from the last barebones release and it's mostly either libraries or kernel modules that make up the difference.

stu90

#7 Post by stu90 »

Thansk hondasid - Barebones Lucid installs and works ok here.

cheers.

bignono1

#8 Post by bignono1 »

Xine not working.
VLC works but does not support many formats.
Nathan wallpaper setter not working.(now it is working)
All the above tested running puppy from CD.
Last edited by bignono1 on Thu 03 Feb 2011, 07:33, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------
Please forgive my bad English.

hondasid

#9 Post by hondasid »

Check the first post. I said that viewnior is required for Nathan to work.

Xine and VLC will play but the xine libs must also be installed as well as gstreamer and a few other lib sets. If you r using this for building, check console output. If a pkg wont work, it's probably because I removed a lib for space. Track it down and install it.

Puppyt

#10 Post by Puppyt »

GOOD ON YOU hondasid.

I look forward to using your cutdowns as bases for slim workhorse puplets. Thanks for your efforts!
Search engines for Puppy
[url]http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html[/url]; [url=https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=015995643981050743583%3Aabvzbibgzxo&q=#gsc.tab=0]Google Custom Search[/url]; [url]http://wellminded.net63.net/[/url] others TBA...

bignono1

#11 Post by bignono1 »

Well done hondasid .
I might do a full install.

grimoire

#12 Post by grimoire »

I'll try this one, let's see the difference between pupgo and barebones :D

hondasid

#13 Post by hondasid »

Man, there is a huge difference between this and pupngo. Pupngo is way smaller than barebones 5, uses an older kernel, and doesn't support squash4. This barebones is designed to roughly follow the guidelines of the barebones 4 series. A functional Puppy with almost no programs.

Also I have discovered that Opera and Transmission do not work properly when added to this build. Opera will not recognize a flash plugin and Transmission will not start, giving no errors in the console. I will be working on fixing these issues, but until that time, I recommend using a different browser and torrent client. If you don't use flash, then Opera is probably the fastest browser I have used in Barebones. Other than the flash, it works amazing.

I recommend using QBittorrent. Works great in Puppy and has a nice interface that is set in GTK theme.

Sit Heel Speak

#14 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

hondasid wrote:Opera and Transmission do not work properly when added to this build.
Flash in Opera works, if you supply the missing libraries from Seamonkey, see
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 709#493709
Last edited by Sit Heel Speak on Mon 07 Feb 2011, 23:07, edited 1 time in total.

nooby

#15 Post by nooby »

Barebones works good on my Acer D250. I use IceWM for to get 1024x768

It connects to internet which I don't remember that pUpnGo do.

Sit Heel Speak

#16 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

As for transmission, before I can diagnose that I must ask, have you a preferred route for getting python into it? --in other words, which python .pet's are you loading?

hondasid

#17 Post by hondasid »

Ok, so i just saw all your replies Sit Heel Speak. I will be dl'ing and trying that asap. I believe that you have found a fix for this and I want to say thank you in advance.
As far as python, i haven't added any. Transmission usually works without anything. I opened it up in console and it didn't spit out any errors, just sat there. I had no clue where to go from there. I'm still kinda sorting out a plan of action on this one. Any help is appreciated.
nooby, glad to hear it. i have a pupngo frugal installed as a test bed for a new Pentium Pro and MMX Puppy build. It is way minimal, more so than I'm really looking for, so IDK if I'll be using it. I do have to say, i am impressed with it. I never thought i would see a desktop Puppy using only 18 MB RAM and less than 2% CPU on my 1.4 Ghz. I am going to keep it around for something. I have a ton of Pro's and MMX's sitting here.
And I get bored a lot....

nooby

#18 Post by nooby »

Thanks Hondasid.

Can one borrow the Atheros Ethernet card drivers from Fluppy or Barebone or 511 or whatever and somehow add it to pUpnGo?
That way I would get it to go out on the internet.

Nooby always hoping for miracles :)

Sit Heel Speak

transmission fix for Barebones Lucid 5.01

#19 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

The gtk builds of transmission depend on a library file, libxcb-xlib.so.0 which is a part of libxcb. Or at least, it used to be part of it. Evidently, it has been dropped from new builds of libxcb --see

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/x ... 04493.html
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/x ... -guide.xml
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1382332

I took the advice of this latter thread and downloaded libxcb-xlib from Ubuntu Hardy, attached. With this file installed, Michalis's transmission 2.20 .pet works. I also installed Michalis's recommended intltool-0.40.6-i486.pet, libevent-2.0.10-stable-i486.pet, and libevent_DEV-2.0.10-stable-i486.pet, but I don't know whether these were necessary or not.
Attachments
libxcb-xlib0_1.1.pet
libxcb-xlib from Ubuntu Hardy, so transmission-gtk works in Barebones
(2.37 KiB) Downloaded 654 times

DPUP5520

#20 Post by DPUP5520 »

This may not be the smartest question or place to put it but I can't figure out how to delete the banner that keeps popping up on top every time I boot up, im using a live-cd so im sure that it's set to run on first boot unless im wrong however when using pfind to search for keyword welcome or banner I can't seem to find it and theres no indication of it in the startup folder.