Not new to Linux

Promote Puppy !
zapjb

Not new to Linux

#1 Post by zapjb »

First I tried U____u. The user forum was nasty.

Then my true love (so far) for the last 3-4yrs PCLinuxOS. Hardware recognition & the friendly user forum make it for me. Course the OS itself. And it's a kick when the developer answers your posts & even PMed me once.

Now to Puppy. Been wanting a distro on a USB flash drive. Found 2 programs that make loading ISOs a breeze. UNetBootin & MultiBootOS. I don't know whether it's completely the simplicity & ease of Puppy or that I know a lot more about Linux than when I started. I really like Puppy on a stick. No mustard please! The save function & encryption features are simply genius the way they're implemented. The hardware wizards when I switch computers are 1st rate. Can't imagine anything better. I almost want to remove the HDDs from my laptop & netbook. And go strictly go with Puppy on a stick.

I truly am amazed by Puppy 5.2. It works on all 3 of my computers. All with very different hardware. Thanks to all who make Puppy.

starhawk

#2 Post by starhawk »

Welcome, as we say, to the Kennels.

Microsoft: "Oh, that? We put that bug in there to increase our tech support revenue. Give us $30 and spend two hours talking to a numbskull who doesn't know anything that we don't tell him/her -- and if you're the lucky one today, we'll actually solve your problem for you."

Ubuntu: "Geez, we dumbed it down this much and you still can't figure it out?! Go back to Microsoft you dumb ****!"

Puppy: "Oh, hi! Come on in, sit down, make yourself comfy. We'll be glad to help you out. No worries."

maxpro4u

#3 Post by maxpro4u »

starhawk wrote:Welcome, as we say, to the Kennels.

Microsoft: "Oh, that? We put that bug in there to increase our tech support revenue. Give us $30 and spend two hours talking to a numbskull who doesn't know anything that we don't tell him/her -- and if you're the lucky one today, we'll actually solve your problem for you."

Ubuntu: "Geez, we dumbed it down this much and you still can't figure it out?! Go back to Microsoft you dumb ****!"

Puppy: "Oh, hi! Come on in, sit down, make yourself comfy. We'll be glad to help you out. No worries."
Too funny :lol: I need to write that down......
Dell D610 1.7M w/1024mb
Testing Slacko and a few others
I'm Max Wachtel and I approve this message.
Registered Linux User #393236

zapjb

#4 Post by zapjb »

"Ubuntu: "Geez, we dumbed it down this much and you still can't figure it out?! Go back to Microsoft you dumb ****!"

Exactly. :P

starhawk

#5 Post by starhawk »

One of my computers is running XUbuntu right now... I've a mind to switch it to Puppy. Not because XUbuntu doesn't work for me (it does) but because of their attitude.

KusaNoKaito

#6 Post by KusaNoKaito »

The hardware detection capabilities, speed, stability, ease of use, AND package manager, make puppy the BEST small distro. And that's my sincere opinion. ( I don't use anything else! )

Dewbie

#7 Post by Dewbie »

zapjb wrote:
I truly am amazed by Puppy 5.2. It works on all 3 of my computers. All with very different hardware.
I'm curious...specifically, what kind of hardware?
Last edited by Dewbie on Mon 23 May 2011, 23:11, edited 1 time in total.

zapjb

#8 Post by zapjb »

1. desktop - AMD Athlon Barton 2500, 1GB DDR, ASUS A7N8X VM400, NVidia

2. netbook - ASUS 1005HA, 2GB DDR2

3. laptop - Gateway M-6862, 2.0 core2duo, 4GB DDR2, ATI 2600 Mobility Radeon HD

obxjerry

#9 Post by obxjerry »

1. desktop - AMD Athlon Barton 2500, 1GB DDR, ASUS A7N8X VM400, NVidia

2. netbook - ASUS 1005HA, 2GB DDR2

3. laptop - Gateway M-6862, 2.0 core2duo, 4GB DDR2, ATI 2600 Mobility Radeon HD
I don't see any doorstops there, nothing you likely picked from the trash or drug out of a closet. For me that just goes with Puppy. It's what I like to do but you can certainly get along fine here without stealing from the landfill. The only thing I think Puppy has to be is fun and for me it always is. I hope it's the same for you.
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup

I'd rather be sailing

Ridgy

#10 Post by Ridgy »

Well I am very happy to know that others had the same experience with the Ubuntu forum. It was an absolute shocker of a site and I had to conclude that very few of them had a clue what they were talking about. They were just there to big note themselves and abuse noobs for asking quite reasonable questions. They never seemed to answer any though.

nooby

#11 Post by nooby »

Thanks guys, a big stone fell from my heart. So even you had bad experience of that forum. How come them behave that way. Kind of odd is it not. Them being the biggest and most know should care about their reputation.

So zapjb you know PCLOS that well then.
I have tried several times now to make it work on frugal install on NTFS but most likely their iso wants a CDROM and not an internal HDD.

Are you good at doing iso boots on ntfs? I managed to boot Ubuntu 11.04 using a grub2 from usb memory but the files on the NTFS hdd.
Ubuntu, Lubuntu, and Peppermint that is a small version of the big LinuxMint and all of these require grub2.

What about PCLOS latest has them gone over to grub2 too or can one still boot it up using grub4dos?

Puppy was my rescue when I failed to learn all the permissions things to do simple things on Ubuntu. Without puppy most likely I would not have had linux now.

Now after practicing on Puppy since 2008 I also have found Porteus and two more Slax that can boot in frugal and that allow that one are root.

And latest Knoppix seems to have easier to use su I could do things in knoppix that ubuntu did not allow me to do.

Puppy is champion in that regard but also why so many are very upset about puppy running as root.

I guess Nimblex also is root by default but one can set up more users on that one than on Puppy so maybe that gives them less flack for being so permissive.

You coming from PCLOS are they not rather strict with permissions on files and so on?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Dewbie

#12 Post by Dewbie »

Ridgy wrote:
They were just there to big note themselves

Happens here, too...and it's gotten much worse lately.
Hopefully it will remain confined to certain threads, and not bleed over into the rest of the forum.

Ridgy

#13 Post by Ridgy »

I find this place quite refreshing actually. It is certainly much better than a lot of the forums I have seen over the years, including my own. A bit of heated debate is always a good thing as long as that is what it is and lets face it, if none of us had any opinion we would all still be sitting around in the cold trying to invent fire.

At least here I can just sit and read some posts without having my finger glued to the Ban Button. My forum is quite nice now but we do seem to have a lot less members.