Wary Puppy 5.0-final feedback

Please post any bugs you have found
BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Wary5 Xorg Intel setup issues

#261 Post by BarryK »

otropogo wrote:Now for the important problem:

I'm running an Intel Motherboard. I can't find the model number right now, but it uses a 2.5Ghz Celeron cpu and has a 400Mhz FSB and embedded video (I do know it's pre-PCI-Express).

I assumed it would use an Intel video driver, so I told the xorg wizard to try i810, and it responded by removing the Intel driver. After that started a game of musical drivers.

The essential problem - the wizard doesn't know which driver to use, and when trying drivers, can't tell what either the chip or the monitor can handle (the Monitor, admittedly, is a bit difficult, being a converted Sun Microsystems 20" CRT). Puppy 4.3.1's wizard has some difficulties with this combo too, but handles them much better.

Whether using the Intel or the i810 driver, the Wary wizard presents a full complement of resolutions and colour bits, up to 1600x1200x24, and pronounces every one of them "OK for Monitor, OK for video card".

NOT!

So basically, one has to try each combination to find out what will work. The problem then is that, when one combo is aborted with CTL-ALT-BACKSPACE, the wizard removes the driver in use and replaces it with the other one, and you start all over. So you end up going back and forth between the i810 and the Intel driver (oh, there's also a mention at some point of a "newer driver", but I failed to discover how one accesses that one, much less whether it would work).

Eventually, I found a combination that worked under the i810 driver (1280x1024x24), but had to tweak the dsiplay rates downward to 64 Horizontal and 60 refresh (which seems a mite slow - at least I'm pretty sure I get faster rate reports from Puppy 4.3.1).

But the bottom line is, that after all this monkeying, I still don't know whether I'm running the best driver available under Wary. I suspect not.
Why didn't you just let the Video Wizard choose the best driver? For Intel video it would have automatically chosen the 'intel' driver. For for any reason that failed, you could then have tried the 'i810' driver.

If none of them work, you can fallback to the generic 'vesa' or 'Xvesa' drivers.

...pretty straight forward.

Then, if you decided that you need a more recent Intel video driver, click the 'setup' icon on the desktop and choose 'Upgrade X drivers..."

There is also an even more recent video upgrade PET that I have announced on my blog and which will be available in the next Wary.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Wary_500 corrupts multisession CD during save

#262 Post by BarryK »

otropogo wrote:I burned Wary5 to a multisession CD. As reported in the Pburn thread, I successfully did a complete disk blank with pburn 3.3.1, then burned the iso with burniso2cd, and successfully verified it, before booting up.

When I ended my session by using the shut down option, I got an unfamiliar save screen (blue, instead of the regular grey, IIRC), and selected Save to CD.

That evoked a blue screen with IIRC large black lettering, telling that if the save was delayed unduly, I should make sure the tray was closed and hit enter.

This line repeated several times before I finally hit enter. The line keep rewriting.

Meanwhile, the tray continued closed, and the disk light was blinking furiously.

Finally, I gave up and hit CTL-ALT-DEL, and the display turned black and announced "Puppy is shutting down".

This was followed by the familiar grey save screen, and again I selected "Save to CD", which resulted in a black terminal screen on which I could type.

Obviously, the save function wasn't working (since no prompt for file size appeared), so I did a hard reset.

The disk is no longer bootable.

In restrospect, I'm wondering whether the issue is because the sfs file wasn't written to RAM, and Puppy was unable to read from AND write to the CD (I do have a swap file on one of the hard drives which Puppy 4.3.1 manages to find, but there's in indication Wary noticed it).

Or maybe Wary doesn't know how to write to a CD-RW?

Oh, well, I should be used to this sort of mess by now after all these Puppy years. And I should have known better than to get sucked into using the multisession option just because Flash swears by it.
I noticed that other people have commented about your bad attitude, but I have only just now got around to reading and replying to your posts -- and I see what they mean.

Actually, the multisession CD/DVD normally works very well. You need to have at least 256MB of RAM, but more is better, I think 512MB is more practical. You should also allow the default behaviour of the main .sfs copied to RAM.

As I say, normally it should "just work", but from the above post and your previous post, you are going about things in a devious manner.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#263 Post by BarryK »

technosaurus wrote:I'm not sure if this is a bug report or more likely just acknowledgement of my ignorance of dynamic device setup.

The /dev/.udev/db directory _appears_ to be pre-populated with broken symlinks

I don't know whether they are supposed to be this way but it all still works, as adding a usb flash drive added the appropriate entries:
block:sdb
block:sdb1
usb_device:usbdev2.2
usb:2-1
(all with apparently broken symlinks and a working flash drive)

Not a bug - just a little disconcerting. Now I see further why people complain about udev being finicky.... if only mdev could handle more nuances
My guess is that it is ok, udev uses those symlinks to point into /dev, they are only broken from our point of view.

Here is another puzzled person:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=763655

BarryK
Puppy Master

#264 Post by BarryK »

otropogo wrote:
Aitch wrote:
otropogo wrote:What does it take to get Puppy's doodoo removed?
I would think a PM/post to Barry K is best, explaining, with links, what you went through [Yes, I remember it well! :wink: ] and results, and current finding/disappointment

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/privms ... =post&u=52

http://bkhome.org/blog/

I can only assume it wasn't previously brought to his attention or it's a n other oversight?

Aitch :)
Hi Aitch. Barry knows about the LS120 problem or did, because he mentioned way back when having an LS120 drive but no disk for testing. I then mailed him a brand new one, and he acknowledged receipt. But I don't recall seeing any further report on the matter after that.
That is some time ago... at the time, I did test installations to LS120 and Zip drives, reported on my blog I think.

The problem is, it is so incredibly slow, to boot and to run, I realised just how impractical it is, so took it no further.

...I found a note that I made about booting from a Zip drive: it took 20 minutes!

So yes, I should remove that option from the Universal Installer.

...ok, have done so, the option is now removed, or rather I have left in the menu choice, but it pops up a message explaining why this option is too painful to offer (even if it did still work).

But, you should still be able to use a Zip or LS120 to hold a save-file, but that would be slow too.

Sage

#265 Post by Sage »

at the time, I did test installations to LS120 and Zip drives
Yes, I distinctly remember the discussions: after a while I succeeded in getting an installation to an LS120 ( a lot of Compaq machines had these fitted at one time). As I recall, about 30mins to boot a full installation. The advantage of the LS120 was it's massive storage capacity, and all on a 3.5" floppy. I still use my LS120 daily as a convenient storage medium - extremely reliable and the magnetic recording seems to outlast optical ones, as well as flash. I still have a 1.44 FD from 30yrs ago - I check it annually. Kept dry, dark and away from magnetic fields the data remains viable indefinitely.
As I said a few days ago, this Forum requires a decent index; there are many pearls, but 'Search' makes finding them impossible for the longer threads.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Need a 10x20 font in Urxvt

#266 Post by BarryK »

don922 wrote:I am using Wary 5.0 Lite on a PII 350 with a new 17" monitor.

I would like to get a 10x20 font to use in Urxvt. Where can I get it and How do I install it?

Wary 5 is supposed to be an "old equipment" Puppy. Old eyes need something better than 7x14; even 9x15B is too small for my eyes.

I don't want to sound like "otro", I can't read the screen in Urxvt -- I am using Sakura, but it uses TTF and I can't find anything that works as well as 10x20. Any suggestions?
I just tried 8x15B, made this entry in /root/.Xresources and restarted X:

Code: Select all

!*font: -misc-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed--13-120-75-75-c-60-*-*
!*font: -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--13-120-75-75-c-70-*-*
!*font: -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--14-130-75-75-c-70-*-*
!*font: -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--15-140-75-75-c-90-*-*
*font: -misc-fixed-bold-r-normal--15-140-75-75-c-90-iso8859-1

Xft.dpi: 78
Quite big for my eyes!

Yeah, you can get a bigger bitmap font, put it in /usr/X11R7/lib/X11/fonts/misc.
Here is a blog thread where we discussed this awhile back:
http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=01222

After adding a font, you need to open a terminal window and run 'mkfontdir' to regenerate 'fonts.dir'. As far as I can recall, you have to manually edit 'fonts.alias'.

As to where you would get more .pcf fonts, Puppy 2.x has heaps more. I will attach some, can't test them myself right now as have to restart X.
Attachments
9x18-ISO8859-1.pcf.gz
(4.74 KiB) Downloaded 364 times
9x18B-ISO8859-1.pcf.gz
(4.72 KiB) Downloaded 374 times
9x15-ISO8859-1.pcf.gz
(4.67 KiB) Downloaded 375 times
9x15B-ISO8859-1.pcf.gz
(4.74 KiB) Downloaded 377 times

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: JWM tray error

#267 Post by BarryK »

don922 wrote:Adding a new launch button to tray causes the screen selector boxes to be removed. Compare graphics below.

I have used these same launch buttons on Puppy 4.12, Puppy 4.00 and Puppy 214X without a problem.

Can this be fixed?
I think that I used the latest jwmconfig PET supplied by the Japanese Puppy developers, as it is supposed to have many bug fixes.

01micko mentioned something about the latest JWM handling the screen selector boxes differently -- latest JWM will be in the next Wary, so I will have to look into that.

Ah, I found 01micko's PET:
http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02091

BarryK
Puppy Master

#268 Post by BarryK »

abushcrafter wrote:The man PET was added to "/usr" not "/". So in the Devx, one ends up with "/usr/usr" "/usr/etc".
Thanks for that, I have fixed the 'man' PETs.

whatupuppy

#269 Post by whatupuppy »

For some reason the boot process halt right at scanning for disk when the hard disk is removed from the laptop.

Tested on :
IBM A21m 800Mhz 196MB RAM
IBM A22m 1.1Ghz 512MB RM
IBM R30 1.2Ghz 512MB RAM

Please let me know, how to resolve how to boot without a HD installed?

Also, I heard there is a way to boot from floppy and use the USB to save.
If that is true, can you let me know what the process is?

If you need more specs on the IBM, let me know.

Thanks

neurino

#270 Post by neurino »

Wary Flash plugin freezes on Settings dialog.

One example is worth a thousand words: https://bubbl.us/

The user is prompted to allow local storing but the dialog is not responding.

l2ulinux

Wary

#271 Post by l2ulinux »

I was looking for a new release of 431 and someone told me to try Wary-500 and it works great for the problem I had. I will tell all my friends about it.

whatupuppy

#272 Post by whatupuppy »

Hello, again I on the IBM A22m, I used the option of puppy acpi=off got further but stuck at lupu_520.sfs not found (image attached).

Where do I go from here?
Attachments
Error01.JPG
(44.96 KiB) Downloaded 700 times

Sage

#273 Post by Sage »

I hate laptops - I've said it before, many times. Yesterday, in an infrequently tidying up session, I dusted off an old Cq Presario 1200, previously upgraded to a faster cpu (which?) and 256Mb. It has a Xircon pcmcia fitted - one of those dual purpose implements with a DUN modem and NIC. It had worked before in duel (sic) boot mode with an early Puppy (which? no longer booting!) and WME (death to that appalling conconcotion). This time, Wary, Lupu and Fluppy all boot from the CD OK, but loading the Xircon driver fails to activate the netwreck features - nothing causes it to connect. The panel says so, the LAN l.e.d on the modem remains stubbornly off. Switching over to the 'doze section on the HD, bingo on-line immediately.
No interest in using Ndiswrapper, but would be interested in comments and reports of similar experiences, esp. wrt Wary. Maybe the old Puppies were k2.4 ?
I kept this (gifted) luggable mainly because it didn't have a broken lid(!), the internal components were accessible and swappable, and it had a Li-ion battery (novel back then, but it has since died).

starhawk

#274 Post by starhawk »

Try turning it on, then unplugging and re-plugging the Xircon card. I've heard that that's the only easy way of making PCMCIA/Cardbus cards work on Puppy.

peebee

#275 Post by peebee »

Sage wrote:but would be interested in comments and reports of similar experiences, esp. wrt Wary.
I also have an old laptop - Thinkpad 600 with just 196MB ram and a 2GB swap partition, frugal install.

I have been having problems with pcmcia in recent puppies.

I have found that you may need to issue the pcmcia-socket-startup command even though it is meant to happen automatically. Without this the card isn't even detected.

I have 2 wifi cards - a Netgear 16bit 5v card and a recently acquired Level-One 32bit 3.3v cardbus card.

The puppy that seems to work best with both the Thinkpad and the Netgear card is Insidious Puppy 002 courtesy of pemasu / iguleder with k2.6.35.9.

So far I can't get any Puppy to recognise the Level-One cardbus card even though it works fine under XP and is seen by pups as an unknown 3.3v cardbus card.

The commands to use to see if your card is being detected and assigned a driver are:
lspcmcia
pccardctl info or status or ident

wary500 simply dies / freezes if pcmcia-socket-startup is issued with the Netgear card plugged in - have to power off to recover. wary is no better or worse than any other pup with the cardbus card - none work.

Cheers
Peter

Sage

#276 Post by Sage »

unplugging and re-plugging the Xircon card
So far I can't get any Puppy to recognise the Level-One cardbus card even though it works fine under XP
Thanks guys. The plug-unplug didn't work.
What is galling is that:
a)although my memory is faint, I am convinced it used to work
b)it knows it's there - lspcmcia has no trouble finding it
I did various other things - don't ask, guided by ignorance - none worked.
Also discovered an old TDK 10BaseT port on pcmcia. Ditto, ditto, ditto.
Switch back to UglyOS and they all sign up - it even found the TDK, installed the driver and switched it on - without loading anything!
Anyone like to guess the last Puppy that worked outa-da-box with these grisly devices?
All too easy to enter the one-step-forward, two-steps-backward syndrome. RougueOS hit this snag with their DOS-based GUIs - backward compatibility, that is - forcing them to swap to their (grossly inferior) poor imitation of the Unix method. Still W7 has the added advantage of giving one time to prepare lunch while it contemplates booting up.

starhawk

#277 Post by starhawk »

Someone on here had a similar problem and wound up going into the BIOS and changing the mode of the PCMCIA slot.

I don't remember who, or what forum (my old 486 had more memory than my brain does), and I'm sorry that I'm not able to be more helpful. All I remember is that the slot needs to be in "CardBus" mode, and I'm pretty sure no other mode will work.

Sage

#278 Post by Sage »

the slot needs to be in "CardBus" mode
Looks as if BK might've done something on that score because it does actually sign on as 'Card-bus' - but still doesn't work!

starhawk

#279 Post by starhawk »

What are the options in BIOS? I remember there being another option that sometimes works, but I'd only remember the name if I saw it...

Aitch

#280 Post by Aitch »

Sage

That Xircon card should be OK with xirc2ps_cs module - the Presario 1200 is cardbus, [type 2/3, I believe]

see if this gives any clues, and you are really getting an APIPA [169.254.x.x - check: type ifconfig in a console]

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=398031

If so, try going into the advanced settings in the network wizard [sorry I only know the old one] and select manual configure
Set up an IP address one or 2 larger than your router....i.e. if your router is 192.168.2.1, use 192.168.2.3 for the laptop, THEN include DNS servers 4.2.2.2 and 4.2.2.3, save and exit and try a browser again

There have been reports of some networking problems with Lupu/Wary

Aitch :)