Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 19 Sep 2014, 07:55
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
LibO_3.3.0 final just released
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 2 [22 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Henry

PostPosted: Wed 26 Jan 2011, 03:44    Post subject:  LibO_3.3.0 final just released
Subject description: Anyone have an sfs yet?

Thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.

The existing LibreOffice-3.3.0b3_sfs4.sfs works fine in Lupu52 of course and also in QirkyNop12, but I'm anxious to use the new features just added, for example wpg import.
wuwei

PostPosted: Wed 26 Jan 2011, 12:53    Post subject:  

Check this link

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/LibreOffice

This describes a method to install Libre Office 3.3.0 to /mnt/home in a frugal install. Much more convenient than an sfs.

Most of the listed dependencies are already in 5.2. Just add xz and then copy the long command line to your terminal and execute. That's all.
Henry

PostPosted: Wed 26 Jan 2011, 16:57    Post subject:  

Thanks, Wuwei,

Yes, I am familiar with that and it does install a /mnt/home/libreoffice-3.3.0.4 folder, but it doesn't run for me, perhaps because my /mnt/home/ is fat32, not linux?

Actually my frugal install is currently based on QirkyNop 1.2 but I have developed it quite a lot so it is "different." Anyway it works beautifully with /mnt/home/LibreOffice-3.3.0b3_sfs4.sfs, (I can't easily explain that here.) which is why I'm hoping there will be a similar sfs based on the latestLibreOffice.

I didn't mean to start a whole new topic for this - it probably should have gone into the lupu52 string. Maybe I'll ask there.
Henry

PostPosted: Wed 26 Jan 2011, 18:16    Post subject:  

As a test, I simply moved /mnt/home/libreoffice-3.3.0.4 into root, and it works.

That will do for now.

Thanks, Wuwei, coolpup
wuwei

PostPosted: Thu 27 Jan 2011, 06:54    Post subject:  

Glad you are happy Henry.

Just a couple additional remarks:

1. SFS's are a convenient way of adding large programs to frugally installed Puppy. They have two disadvantages, though. One is that they need to be added to the startup procedure. Two, any change in a SFS messes up the desktop icon settings.
The LibreOffice installation as described in the link is an excellent way of installing LO to a non-FAT partition.
2. If you have more than one Puppy frugal install, it is VERY helpful to create a linux partition for it. And be it only for the grub folder, or for shielding this partition off of any unintentional changes or deletions from Windows.

On the other hand, everyone has his own order of things.

Have fun
Henry

PostPosted: Thu 27 Jan 2011, 17:16    Post subject:  

wuwei wrote:

Quote:
1. SFS's are a convenient way of adding large programs to frugally installed Puppy. They have two disadvantages, though. One is that they need to be added to the startup procedure. Two, any change in a SFS messes up the desktop icon settings.
The LibreOffice installation as described in the link is an excellent way of installing LO to a non-FAT partition.
2. If you have more than one Puppy frugal install, it is VERY helpful to create a linux partition for it. And be it only for the grub folder, or for shielding this partition off of any unintentional changes or deletions from Windows.

Yes, I agree. For years I've been putting about everything possible (what I call data) outside the save file in sda1 vfat. Thus it's the same for and accessible to any pup-save I may use.

This is the first time I couldn't use fat32 for this. So I did go ahead and create a Linux partition for LibreOffice. I had only temporarily put it in root as a test.
Sit Heel Speak

PostPosted: Fri 28 Jan 2011, 22:48    Post subject: Libreoffice-3.3.0.4 .sfs
Subject description: posted here

Here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=64376

Last edited by Sit Heel Speak on Wed 02 Feb 2011, 20:52; edited 2 times in total
Henry

PostPosted: Fri 28 Jan 2011, 23:22    Post subject:  

That's great news, SHS, about the .sfs. I'm anxious to try it.

I hope it will be in the _sfs4.sfs format (I think). I'm not too handy about converting these things Smile

Sorry I don't have hosting space, though.

Actually I do have some other reasons for wanting an sfs, but it's too much to go into here and now.

About the menu categories, it doesn't matter to me as I set these up as I like in the .desktop files in xfce. I would put them all in the office category and simply not display javafilter, printeradmin, and startcenter, which I don't normally use.
drblock2

PostPosted: Sat 29 Jan 2011, 09:32    Post subject:
Subject description: Installing LibO3.3.0

wuwei,
Thanks so much for this wonderful self-contained LibreOffice. Since I run several Puppies on several machines, this is exactly what I have been looking for. Now I can set it up once, and run it from any linux installation and even copy the directory over to another machine.

Your command line installer is neat, but it only installs to /mnt/home. If this happens to be a vfat partition, you are out of luck.

Fortunately, it is easy to overcome this difficulty by copying the txz-file to an ntfs partition, unpacking it there with xarchive.. The same thing would, of course, work with a linux partition that doesn't happen to be /mnt/home. Perhaps you should consider including this work-around in the wikka along with code for a simple download of the txz-file.
Jim1911

PostPosted: Sat 29 Jan 2011, 11:57    Post subject:  

A new sfs of Libreoffice 3.3.0.4, prepared by 01micko for Lucid 5.2, should be available with Quickpet soon.
wuwei

PostPosted: Sat 29 Jan 2011, 14:59    Post subject:  

drblock2 wrote...

Quote:
wuwei,
Thanks so much for this wonderful self-contained LibreOffice.

I am tickled , but credit must go to coolpup, he is the owner of that web page I have linked to above.
Henry

PostPosted: Wed 02 Feb 2011, 20:11    Post subject: Help file for LibreOffice  

wuwei wrote:
Check this link

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/LibreOffice

This describes a method to install Libre Office 3.3.0 to /mnt/home in a frugal install. Much more convenient than an sfs.

Most of the listed dependencies are already in 5.2. Just add xz and then copy the long command line to your ter
minal and execute. That's all.

Have been using this method for a while. Very fine, but where's the help file? I just realized I didn't see one.
Sit Heel Speak

PostPosted: Wed 02 Feb 2011, 20:57    Post subject: Re: Help file for LibreOffice  

Henry wrote:
...Very fine, but where's the help...?
@Henry:

You have seen, that I posted the SFS a few days ago, haven't you?:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=64376

Yes, it includes the help.
Henry

PostPosted: Thu 03 Feb 2011, 02:13    Post subject:  

Yes, thanks, I did see it. I was much more interested in it as a replacement for the OpenOffice sfs before I got the Opera problem identified and fixed.

When everything starting working I had no reason to abandon the portable LibreOffice - until I realized the help files had been omitted.

I guess someone like coolpup will eventually add the help to the portable, so I'm waiting to see, the help files not being immediately crucial. In either case the files are outside the save file so size is not so important. What I do like about the portable is it puts practically nothing in the save file. One only has to make sure shortcuts and exes point to the right place outside.

Your help and these packages are appreciated!
Sit Heel Speak

PostPosted: Thu 03 Feb 2011, 06:52    Post subject: POSTED: the missing help files for the portable libreoffice  

(dbp October 29, 2011)
Last edited by Sit Heel Speak on Sat 29 Oct 2011, 17:34; edited 1 time in total
Page 1 of 2 [22 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: