#1 Post by TheAsterisk! »

Latest 4-series release: 4.2.13
Latest 3-series release: 3.2.14

My Packages:
Guide, by VirtualBox release version
Mirror

Alternate VirtualBox Packages:
shinobar's VirtualBox 4.2.2 SFS module

My packages are mainly dot-pets, but there is a combined SFS4 module available for several 32-bit Puppy releases as well. (Most Precise, Slacko, and Lucid releases are supported, as well as Puppy 431 and the most recent releases of Quirky, Wary and Racy.)

I've made VirtualBox packages (several versions) for and tested on the following Puppy versions: Lucid Puppy 5-series, Wary and Racy 530, Quirky 142, Slacko 531 & 533 (including PAE versions), Slacko 540, Precise Puppy 540-543, the Puppy 4-series, Puppy 301, FATDOG-64 521 and 601, and LighthousePup 514-B4. Other Puppy versions may also have current or older VBox packages available or new ones may be prepared upon request (it doesn't hurt to ask, anyway :P). I do ask that you please check the HTML guide linked above for your Puppy version before you make a new request, though. :)

Packages for puplets and additional Puppies may be requested, but no guarantees that I'll get to them.

There is also a package that should work for any kernel, provided you have loaded or installed the devx and kernel source modules for your Puppy.
In a later post below, Geoffrey says that the Lucid Puppy package works on Quirky 1.20 NOP.

The extension pack is installed through "File -> Preferences -> Extensions".
--------------------------------------------
VBox 3-series to 4-series note:
The interface for VBox's VM management has a few new features, and there is a "Preview" function which shows the current VM as it runs. While it's a neat thing to see, it also eats up memory like nobody's business, so you might want to consider turning that off or making its display update less frequently via a right-click.
Generally, this version just uses more memory, too. You may get a warning dialogue that claims the host memory is too low with nothing more than your old settings, but if you dismiss it, wait a minute and then resume from the menu it usually works just fine.
I can only test so many versions of Puppy, but it may well be that the packages I've already made will work on other versions of Puppy just fine. If they do, let me know which combination of Puppy and package worked, and I'll update my information, and maybe my package names, too.
Vers. 4.1.8 Update Notes: Audio remains an issue for Lucid Puppies, but all others seem fine.
Vers. 4.1.6 Update Notes: Audio still an issue in Lucid Puppies, but back in good shape for Slacko! More packages coming soon!
Vers. 4.1.2 Update Notes: Audio in some of the Lucid Puppies (as host) is still an issue. The PulseAudio/OSS workaround is functional again in Lucid-528, though. I've tried to get the balloon-ctrl service to start alongside the normal vboxdrv- it seems that feature is supposed to let you change the amount of RAM assigned to a VM while it's still running. I haven't tried it, so let me know what happens if you do! :D
Vers. 4.0.6 Update Notes: Audio on Lucid 525 doesn't work at all, even with the PulseAudio or OSS workaround for previous 4-series VBox packages. (The workaround still works for Lucid Puppies 510 through 520.) Because of that, I've left up the Lucid package for 4.0.4 if anyone needs audio, and as always the fully-functional 3.2.8 packages remain available.
Vers. 4.0.4 Update Notes: I've finally got around to working in shinobar's script revision, in the process greatly simplifying most of my dot-pets' pinstall.sh scripts. (Making SFS modules out of these pets should be easier now, too, as a result.) The audio issue with Lucid Puppies 510-520 is still present. Finally, the simpler install scripts are working for me in Puplite 4.0 and in Puplite 5.0.
Last edited by TheAsterisk! on Tue 21 May 2013, 10:35, edited 84 times in total.

sc0ttman

#2 Post by sc0ttman »

lovely! gonna test soon :)
[b][url=https://bit.ly/2KjtxoD]Pkg[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2U6dzxV]mdsh[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2G49OE8]Woofy[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/bzBU1]Akita[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/SO5ug]VLC-GTK[/url], [url=https://tiny.cc/c2hnfz]Search[/url][/b]

shinobar

SFS for all Puppies 4.3.1 / 5.x

#3 Post by shinobar »

Thanks, TheAsterisk!
(UPDATE: 2014-07-02)
virtualbox-4.3.12.sfs for Puppy 4.3.1 and most of Puppies 5.x including Lucid, Precise Puppy, Slacko and more.
Available from http://shino.pos.to/party/bridge.cgi?puppy/opt/

It has pre-build kernel modules for Puppy-4.3.1, Lucid, Precise-5.7.1, and Slacko-5.7.
For other kernels, you need devx and kernel source packages to build the kernel modules.
Type 'virtualbox' on a terminal after loaded the virtualbox-xxx.sfs.
Note that this SFS does not support 64bit Puppies.

The extension package is already applied.

You can change 'Default Machine Folder' to /mnt/home/VirtualBox or somewhere.
The setting is at VirtualBox menubar, File>>Preferences>>General.

If you have ever installed another or older virtualbox PET/SFS and trying new, remove old ones and delete '/lib/modules/*/misc/vbox*.ko', /opt/VirtualBox, if they are exists, before loading the new.

OLD VERSIONS:
(23-Oct-2013)] virtualbox-4.3-1.sfs
(8-Oct-2013) virtualbox-4.2.18-1.sfs
(30-Oct-2012) virtualbox-4.2.2.sfs
(22-Jun-2012) virtualbox-4.1.18.sfs
(27-May-2012) virtualbox-4.1.16.sfs
(20-May-2012) virtualbox-4.1.14.sfs
(24-Mar-2012) virtualbox-4.1.10.sfs for Puppy 4.3.1 and most of Puppies 5.x including Lucid Puppy and Slacko.
(28-Dec-2011) virtualbox-4.1.8.sfs for Puppy 4.3.1 and most of Puppies 5.x.
as for Slacko, use virtualbox-4.1.6-slacko.sfs.
(16-Nov-2011) virtualbox-4.1.6-2.sfs for Puppy 4.3.1 and most of Puppies 5.x.
(24-Oct-2011) virtualbox-4.1.4-4.sfs for all Puppies 5.x.
as for Slacko, use virtualbox-4.1.4-2-slacko.sfs.
It does not support Puppies 4.x.
(4-Oct-2011) virtualbox-4.1.4-1-dpup.sfs for all Puppies 5.x.
Made a SFS for Wary, virtualbox-4.0.4-w5.sfs.
Including modules for both kernel Wary-5.0/5.1x.
for Lucid Puppy, virtualbox-4.0.0-lucid.sfs.
This SFS includes SDL. Tested on LupQ-511. Also may work on Lucu.

I add small code to setup in /etc/init.d/rc.vboxdrv at line 162(in function 'start'):
[code] # shinobar: Add
if [ "$(modprobe -l vboxdrv)" = "" ]; then
depmod -a
sleep 2
$MODPROBE vboxdrv
sleep 5
fi
# shinobar: Add end[/code]
Last edited by shinobar on Wed 02 Jul 2014, 12:23, edited 33 times in total.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

TheAsterisk!

#4 Post by TheAsterisk! »

Not too surprising, since Lucid 511 and 520 apparently use the same kernel, but the 511 package works in 520 more or less exactly the same way it does in 511. I'll update the package name in a little bit to a more generic "-lucid5xx" or something.

Using the drivers from vers. 3.2.8 to get sound working doesn't seem help anymore, either, and it was never a very good idea in the first place, so I'm removing that whole directory from my uploaded files. If you still want the old drivers or the work-around text for some reason, the whole 3.2.8 dot-pet is still available and you can PM for the rest.

EDIT: I just noticed your SFS for 4.0.0 is in the Lucid repository, shinobar!

shinobar

VirtualBox 4.0.4 for Wary-500/511

#5 Post by shinobar »

Updated the SFS for Wary, virtualbox-4.0.4-w5.sfs available here.
Including modules for both kernel for Wary-5.0/5.1x.

I compiled the VirtualBox 4.0.0 against Wary-500, exactly speaking Wary-500j03.
The sfs is available here.
7c100d200fe55b047560fa32e44ad9c3 virtualbox-4.0.0-i686-k263114-w5_500.sfs
08-Jan-2011 13:28 63.7M

Tested on Wary-500j03 but also may work on Wary-500.

Notes:
1. The initial 'Default Machine Folder' is set to '/mnt/home/VirtualBox'. You can change the location by the preferences under the 'file' menu bar.
2. The sfs contains '/usr/share/mime' contents.
But the .vbox files do not show its MIME, 'application/x-virtualbox-vbox'.
The command 'update-mime-database /usr/share/mime' seems corrupt the MIME of Wary.
(update-mime-database is in wary_devx_500.sfs)
Last edited by shinobar on Thu 03 Mar 2011, 13:49, edited 1 time in total.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

TLM

#6 Post by TLM »

Hi...and THanks! I have wanted Vbox on puppy for a long time. However I cannot get the application to open after installing on either 431 stock or 431 NOP. Running from terminal says i need libSDL. Running a dependency check shows many missing. Is there anyplace I can get libs since puppylinux.ca is no longer online? Thanks again.

TheAsterisk!

#7 Post by TheAsterisk! »

TLM wrote:Hi...and THanks! I have wanted Vbox on puppy for a long time.
Glad to help!
However I cannot get the application to open after installing on either 431 stock or 431 NOP. Running from terminal says i need libSDL. Running a dependency check shows many missing. Is there anyplace I can get libs since puppylinux.ca is no longer online? Thanks again.
You can use one of the two following links to a dot-pet:
ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributio ... 3-i386.pet
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... 3-i386.pet
They're from the official Puppy 4 repository.

Let me know if there are any problems. Good luck!

TLM

#8 Post by TLM »

Thanks! I had been to ibiblio looking for it, but I was looking under the letter L thinking the package would be named lib.....

Thanks again. I'll see if I can get it to work now.

TheAsterisk!

#9 Post by TheAsterisk! »

@TLM: I just checked my deps.txt file (there's a link in the first post) for Puppy 431 quickly, and you'll also need libGLU if you didn't already install it.

I used to just use this package:
ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributio ... ri-7.3.pet
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... ri-7.3.pet

If you want, though, libGLU by itself seems to do, and it's a whole lot smaller.

TLM

#10 Post by TLM »

Thanks again. I installed the SDL and now Vbox is running good on NOP 431. I did not install GLU, so I assume it is already present. Again, the Vbox is working great, but I can run a dependency check and see.

TheAsterisk!

#11 Post by TheAsterisk! »

Version 4.0.2 seems to be out. It's a maintenance release. The changelog is here, if anyone is interested.

The *.run installer worked just fine, and I've already made a Lucid 5 series package for myself, so other Puppy versions shouldn't be hard.

Does anyone want me to package up more for 4.0.2 and upload them, or should I wait for a later release and let things take a more sedate pace?

gcmartin

I would like to see a 64bit version of your work on FATDOG

#12 Post by gcmartin »

Is there a chance you may have a FATDOG version of this PET? I would be interested in your package.
TheAsterisk! wrote:Version 4.0.2 seems to be out. It's a maintenance release. The changelog is here, if anyone is interested.

The *.run installer worked just fine, and I've already made a Lucid 5 series package for myself, so other Puppy versions shouldn't be hard.

Does anyone want me to package up more for 4.0.2 and upload them, or should I wait for a later release and let things take a more sedate pace?
Thanks in advance.

TheAsterisk!

Re: I would like to see a 64bit version of your work on FATDOG

#13 Post by TheAsterisk! »

gcmartin wrote:Is there a chance you may have a FATDOG version of this PET? I would be interested in your package.
If FATDOG is the 64-bit puplet (my memory can be spotty at times), then I'm afraid I don't have a package for it. All the computers I have access to are 32-bit machines circa 2003-2005, so there's no easy way to run Fatdog or compile the drivers for VBox properly.

Considering how well the 32-bit installer Oracle distributes worked for me, though, you might be able to install straight from their 64-bit installer, too, assuming you can install the kernel source and a devx module. If that works, and if you want to package it and need help for any part of that process, then I'd be more than glad to help. Hosting, too, if you need it.

VirtualBox-4.0.2-69518-Linux_amd64.run
md5sum = 494de209709e86840ecb6430c9619992
Thanks in advance.
A yes, then? :D

I've packaged and uploaded the files since my post above, but I probably won't make a new post this time. I'll just edit my original here, but I'll leave the version 4.0.0 packages available.

Geoffrey

#14 Post by Geoffrey »

The virtualbox-4.0.2-k2.6.33.2-lupu5.pet works with Quirky1.20 NOP,
I just had to install the nvset-195.36.15.pet as I had a libGL.so.1not found error, get it from here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 5c27fc60b1
I'm not sure about SDL , I think I may have already had it installed, if it is needed get it here ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dist ... es-quirky/

TheAsterisk!

#15 Post by TheAsterisk! »

@Geoffrey: Hey, thanks for the info!
If I remember correctly, though, there were some difference between the Lucid Puppy kernel and the Quirky kernel, so unless I somehow find out they're really the same, I won't update the package names.

I'll make a note referring to your post in the OP, though. Might be helpful.

I was thinking of making a few packages for Quirky and Wary later tonight or tomorrow anyway. We'll see how that goes! :D

Geoffrey

#16 Post by Geoffrey »

TheAsterisk!

I'll see if it will run in the original Quirky 1.20, there should be no reason that it won't with a couple of updates, I'll let you know how it go's

Geoffrey

Edit

Well I can confirm that virtualbox-4.0.2-k2.6.33.2-lupu5.pet works with Quirky1.20, it doesn't need all of the video drivers installed only
libGL.so.1.2, libGLU.so.1.3.060502 and the system links to them libGL.so.1 and libGLU.so.1 as well as SDL-1.2.14-q1.pet
I would imagine that is all that is required for Quirky1.20NOP also
Download for SDL-1.2.14-q1.pet ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dist ... .14-q1.pet

Here are the /usr/X11R7/lib files
Attachments
quirky-virtualbox.jpg
(54.24 KiB) Downloaded 3539 times

TheAsterisk!

#17 Post by TheAsterisk! »

I've added a package for Wary 5 and for Quirky 1.4, and made notes for those in both the packages guide and the dependencies text file.

I also added notes for sc0ttman's puplet "Puplite." I tested version 4.0, but it's probably more or less the same for earlier versions of Puplite.
Puplite sometimes encounters trouble starting the vbox services at installation, so I added a note on how to restart the service, too.

Finally got around to linking back to this thread in the HTML page, just in case anyone gets linked to that from elsewhere.

BHINTZ

#18 Post by BHINTZ »

Is there some special requirement to get sound working in Virtualbox. I have tried two different computers with lupu520 and vbox402. Everything seems fine except sound.

I have tried different puppies and even windows xp, so I am guessing it something to do with vbox.

any suggestions would be welcome.

bob

nooby

#19 Post by nooby »

Cool thanks indeed I have longed for to have Vbox in Lupu 511 and 520.

I want to use it for running TCL so I learn how to use it. :) TCL can not use NTFS so if I format the virtual drive to be Ext2 then it should be able to save my changes.

Has any of you tested if TCL works fast in Vbox? Being only 10MB it should be able to run in half the memory I give it?

As I know Vbox ask for how much of Ram that it take from Puppy to run in so Puppy don't crash? so say I have 500MB or Puppy to run Vbox and 500MB for Vbox with TCL loaded?

I did dl and installed and run ran it too but I need how to get an iso installed on it as guest. Maybe there are forums for beginners of vbox?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

TheAsterisk!

#20 Post by TheAsterisk! »

BHINTZ wrote:Is there some special requirement to get sound working in Virtualbox. I have tried two different computers with lupu520 and vbox402. Everything seems fine except sound.

I have tried different puppies and even windows xp, so I am guessing it something to do with vbox.

any suggestions would be welcome.

bob
I'm afraid something about Lucid Puppies 510, 511 and 520 just doesn't work as expected. It's a known issue; there's a note about it at the bottom of my little packages-chooser HTML page.
To get sound in the guest system, you lie to VBox and tell it the host uses PulseAudio or OSS instead of Puppy's actual ALSA. While this works to enable the guest's sound, though, Puppy then can't use sound while a VM is running.
I'll attach a screen shot showing the menu where you can make the change.

If simultaneous sound for both host and guest is a critical requirement for you, you can run VirtualBox on another Puppy version or you can install VMware Player, which doesn't seem to have any similar audio issues. (My thread for VMware Player is here.)
Alternatively, I had previously made packages for an older version of VBox ( 3.2.8 ), and they don't have any such audio issues. The thread is here if you want to try that option.
nooby wrote:Cool thanks indeed I have longed for to have Vbox in Lupu 511 and 520.
I have a certain fondness for testing other distros in VBox, too! :lol: That's precisely why I keep making these packages!
I did dl and installed and run ran it too but I need how to get an iso installed on it as guest. Maybe there are forums for beginners of vbox?
If you would please reference the bottom of my packages-chooser page (here), it contains links to all kinds of stuff, from notes about the Lucid audio issue discussed above to the guest additions *.iso.
Attachments
lucid-510-511-520_audio.png
Audio Settings Kludge - Screen Shot
(34.08 KiB) Downloaded 2644 times