Lucid Puppy 5.2 feedback and bug reports

Please post any bugs you have found
jinx100

#161 Post by jinx100 »

Ideas to try:
ISO of Lucid 5.2 is bad download. It does happen. Internet hiccup.
Use the Boot flash program to setup the flash drive.
Reformat and or partition flash drive.
Flash drive needs to be clean for install. Old files mixing with new install. Can cause problems.
That helped! I did download a new copy of Lucid 5.2 and now the flashing flash drive problem is cured.

Doesn't look like either version, 246 or 5.2, can create a valid flash drive without the ISO file. Both now try with the Universal Installer but the resulting drives will not boot - invalid boot drive. The partition boot flag is set but the ldlinux.sys file is missing and just adding it to the drive doesn't help.

Thanks for the good idea.

stu90

#162 Post by stu90 »

Try zigbert's updated PPM - i'm using it on Lucid 52 and it shows all 5 repos.

http://208.109.22.214/puppy/viewtopic.p ... 1324268505

It is also included in the 'Puppy Control Panel Plus' bundle Playdayz packaged up in the Lucid thread.

http://208.109.22.214/puppy/viewtopic.p ... 1324268505

rjbrewer

#163 Post by rjbrewer »

jinx100 wrote:
Ideas to try:
ISO of Lucid 5.2 is bad download. It does happen. Internet hiccup.
Use the Boot flash program to setup the flash drive.
Reformat and or partition flash drive.
Flash drive needs to be clean for install. Old files mixing with new install. Can cause problems.
That helped! I did download a new copy of Lucid 5.2 and now the flashing flash drive problem is cured.

Doesn't look like either version, 246 or 5.2, can create a valid flash drive without the ISO file. Both now try with the Universal Installer but the resulting drives will not boot - invalid boot drive. The partition boot flag is set but the ldlinux.sys file is missing and just adding it to the drive doesn't help.

Thanks for the good idea.
Use "bootflash" with the iso to install to usb;
should have the ldlinux file when finished.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

marco07

Re: Puppy Package Manager Problems

#164 Post by marco07 »

I'm coming to believe to the title lengths of the repositries, or screen matrix (I use 1024x768). I am beginning to think it's actually there in the one line, just not being displayed as the box has a set size or is wrapping and therefore hidden.
Maybe something that needs it's own "bug" report in the Bugs section to be created and passed on to Barry for attention, if a code developer (maybe 8) technosaurus or 01micko can advise) can't handle it which way to go.

regards
scsijon
I can definitely confirm this. Mine shows only 1 repository in the title line, no matter how many I select. Restarting of PPM would not help either.

bigpup

#165 Post by bigpup »

marco07 wrote:
I'm coming to believe to the title lengths of the repositries, or screen matrix (I use 1024x768). I am beginning to think it's actually there in the one line, just not being displayed as the box has a set size or is wrapping and therefore hidden.
Maybe something that needs it's own "bug" report in the Bugs section to be created and passed on to Barry for attention, if a code developer (maybe 8) technosaurus or 01micko can advise) can't handle it which way to go.

regards
scsijon
I can definitely confirm this. Mine shows only 1 repository in the title line, no matter how many I select. Restarting of PPM would not help either.
Are you updating data after selecting other repositories?

gcmartin

#166 Post by gcmartin »

bigpup wrote:... Are you updating data after selecting other repositories?
This high-lights another area where if you dont know the correct procedure, we are bound to use it in-correctly.

Maybe time to publish a "PPM proper use" or a "Howto Properly Use PPM" procedure by someone knowlegible.

Hope this helps

rjbrewer

#167 Post by rjbrewer »

I really detest the new version of the ppm.

edit:

Figured out how to uninstall packages;
my "detestiness" has subsided. :)
Last edited by rjbrewer on Wed 26 Jan 2011, 20:08, edited 1 time in total.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

xman

#168 Post by xman »

I tried Lupu-5.2 by live-cd, but it isn't for my old laptop :( . First boot led to kernel panic, second boot was slow but success. Then... everything is working, working, working... until Firefox or Opera freezes, and show is over. And they can freeze without significant load of many open tabs or heavy scripts. Firefox is rendering some pages better in Lupu than in Quirky or Wary, but anyway, I'm back on Q & W.

666philb

#169 Post by 666philb »

First of all thanks for lupu520, it's amazing, definately the best puppy i've tried so far!

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but when you install or de-install an sfs file, all the icons on the desktop reset themselves to the first-start default, usually all over my custom icons.

thanks for lupu!

666philb
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

jinx100

#170 Post by jinx100 »

rjbrewer wrote:
Use "bootflash" with the iso to install to usb;
should have the ldlinux file when finished.
With a clean install that does work. Somehow it stopped working for me so I started from a fresh puppy 5.2 and made all my changes and it still worked. So I went back to a broken setup to see if it could be fixed. So, apologies to the knowledgeable readers, I hacked bootflash so it worked again. My theory is that formatting the partition after makebootfat erased the ldlinux.sys file. But then why would it ever work?

Here's the hacked version - simplified to a button panel with one button. Oops, I can't attach it and it's long for a post. Basically, I did not zeroize the first 512 bits of the drive or the partition - doesn't seem necessary and you'd need to write something back just to access the drive. Moved the makebootfat to just after the mkdosfs selection.

Code: Select all

if [ $DRVSIZEM -gt 1024 ];then #1GB
  #set partition-id to fat32 (0b=fat32, oc=fat32-lba)...
  echo -e 't\n0b\nw' | fdisk /dev/$USBDRV
  mkdosfs -F 32 /dev/${USBDRV}1 #FAT32.  -n puppysave
 else
  #set partition-id to fat16 (06=fat16, 0e=fat16-lba)...
  echo -e 't\n06\nw' | fdisk /dev/$USBDRV
  mkdosfs -F 16 /dev/${USBDRV}1 #FAT16.  -n puppysave
 fi
 # cd /tmp/makebootfat
  makebootfat --output /dev/$USBDRV --syslinux3 --boot ldlinux.bss --mbr mbr.bin --copy ldlinux.sys tempdir
 sync
 syslinux /dev/${USBDRV}1

bones01

sfs files and icons

#171 Post by bones01 »

666philb wrote:First of all thanks for lupu520, it's amazing, definately the best puppy i've tried so far!

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but when you install or de-install an sfs file, all the icons on the desktop reset themselves to the first-start default, usually all over my custom icons.

thanks for lupu!

666philb
philb, I've had the same issue, and it's not only with lupu520. However, having asked the question myself, I can direct you to the answer:
bones01 wrote:Found this today at http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 9&start=30

Could be the solution
Jim1911 wrote:
Eyes-Only wrote:This is when I go to change around desktop icons mate? If I should move them around the screen, or even delete some in favour of others - and then reboot - they'll be back, oft-times in their same places which will cause a real jumble upon the desktop space, see what I mean? Sometimes it'll remain fine for one or two reboots, then hit me on the 3rd or 4th. Sometimes as soon as the next. It's not predictable in other words.
"L'Peau-Rouge d'Acadie"
To correct this problem, arrange your icons like you want them, then goto /Choices/ROX-Filer and copy PuppyPin to PuppyPinMy. Then when you add an sfs or do anything else that changes the desktop simply copy PuppyPinMy to PuppyPin and restart X to restore your desktop.
Although it doesn't completely solve the problem, it does give you a very quick solution to return your desktop to the way you like it.

Bones
Dell Latitude D630 running Puppy 5.2.8 frugal, Macpup 525 frugal (if I can get it working again. Sadly, I couldn't get it fixed :? )
Precise Puppy 5.4 live DVD
Precise 5.7.3 on USB

666philb

#172 Post by 666philb »

cheers bones!
philb, I've had the same issue, and it's not only with lupu520. However, having asked the question myself, I can direct you to the answer:

It's a hell of a lot better than having to delete/rename/ and customise icons again!

thanks for the solution.

666philb
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

bigpup

#173 Post by bigpup »

666philb wrote:First of all thanks for lupu520, it's amazing, definately the best puppy i've tried so far!

thanks for lupu!

666philb
This program may give you a quick recovery from such problems.
Desksetup
It has an option to save a custom setup and restore it.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 133#488133

Also comes in PupComboPlus from Lucid Puppy News in Quickpet.
Attachments
desktop setup.jpg
Desktop setup
(41.22 KiB) Downloaded 1851 times

scsijon

#174 Post by scsijon »

Hi,
:( Main Sat box crashed, after looking at it (and what I had loaded and unloaded) I decided it was time to put 5.2 on (has been 511 for a while).

It was a full install so took a bit of manipulation so not too loose things (basically move root, printout of user-installed-packages, check for other keep areas and move them, reformat partition so it is "clean", install fresh 5.2, install pets from u-i-p list, copy back only what was needed after new install from saved material, change profile files for ff to use/match your old bmarks etc., (if you haven't started eudora or thunderbird between install and copy backof .thunderbird directory you shouldn't have to do anything to those programs as they only create them on first run if not already there,) quickcheck programs all working, redo internet and firewall, and off you go. :roll: easy :roll:.

However, with 5.2 were using Openbox, not JWM.
QUESTION, how do I set it to hide the menubar in ob, I can't see where.

In the meantime i've gone back to jwm.

regards
scsijon

bigpup

#175 Post by bigpup »

However, with 5.2 were using Openbox, not JWM.
QUESTION, how do I set it to hide the menubar in ob, I can't see where.

In the meantime i've gone back to jwm.
In Openbox it uses Fbpanel to control the menubar.
menu->desktop->desktop settings->fbpanel configuration->main tab.
In Fbpanel configuration you must select OK on main tab for any setting changes to work.

666philb

#176 Post by 666philb »

This program may give you a quick recovery from such problems.
Desksetup
It has an option to save a custom setup and restore it.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 133#488133
thanks bigpup, i've downloaded it and it works well, i might also give that PupComboPlus a whirl.

cheers for that

666philb

scsijon

#177 Post by scsijon »

thanks bigpup.

hudgrad

viotech 3100+ motherboard; sometimes the sound is gone

#178 Post by hudgrad »

my motherboard has VIA CN896/VT8237S chipset. my first install went well. but sometimes or somehow the sound is gone, but the soundcard itself is still normally detected by ALSA. is it a bug or something ??
:? :roll:
Last edited by hudgrad on Sun 30 Jan 2011, 11:33, edited 2 times in total.

hudgrad

viotech 3100+ motherboard; sometimes the sound is gone

#179 Post by hudgrad »

sorry double post. connection problem.
:oops:

bigpup

Re: viotech 3100+ motherboard; sometimes the sound is gone

#180 Post by bigpup »

hudgrad wrote:my motherboard has VIA CN896/VT8237S chipset. my first install went well. but sometimes or somehow the sound is gone, but the soundcard itself is still normally detected by ALSA. is it a bug or something ??
:? :roll:
Right-click the speaker icon in the system tray and choose Full Window. Enable Master, PCM, Front and any others that seem likely and also turn up the volume in each. This should fix things a good percentage of the time. If not, then please try Menu -> Setup -> Alsa Sound Wizard.