spup-100 April 2011

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
DaveS

#461 Post by DaveS »

James C wrote:
01micko wrote: Install gnome-mplayer from the repo and it works just fine.
The url plays fine in SeaMonkey now.

The video was a lot more interesting than watching it snow outside...... :lol:
The video comes from the TED Talks web site. http://www.ted.com/talks
More interesting videos than you could ever dream of watching. It is updated pretty much daily so I have it set up as an RSS feed in Google reader.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

gerry

#462 Post by gerry »

Pnethood reports "No shares found" (or words to that effect). But Pnethood 0.66 in Wary Final does find the share folder and the printer on my XP computer.

gerry

yarddog

spup-055 built from latest woof

#463 Post by yarddog »

have a new item that i need your assistance on. have full install and when i boot notice following

waiting for modules to complete loading - USB 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0

what are the numbers following USB - don't have these on other hard drive installs

regards
yarddog

rjbrewer

Re: spup-055 built from latest woof

#464 Post by rjbrewer »

yarddog wrote:have a new item that i need your assistance on. have full install and when i boot notice following

waiting for modules to complete loading - USB 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0

what are the numbers following USB - don't have these on other hard drive installs

regards
yarddog
The latest Wary (Wary5) does that too. It's an extended delay while
loading devices.

I'm sticking with the earlier Wary.0.9.8 because it doesn't have that
problem.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

Tasgarth

#465 Post by Tasgarth »

have a new item that i need your assistance on. have full install and when i boot notice following waiting for modules to complete loading - USB 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0

Another possibility ( Puppy Lupu113 full install):
I had the same problem with a keyboard and (or) a mouse on a PC (8 years old) that accepts only the PS/2.
I wanted to change to USB keyboard and mouse using connectors USB-/PS/2 => Rebooted the PC ( Puppy Lupu113 full install): ....
It sought desperately in USB 'input' and not in the PS/2 ...=> USB 1,2,3, etc. ...

peebee

#466 Post by peebee »

gerry wrote:Pnethood reports "No shares found" (or words to that effect). But Pnethood 0.66 in Wary Final does find the share folder and the printer on my XP computer.

gerry
Same for me - pnethood in spup055 doesn't find any shares - lameSMB does connect though. pnethood in lupu520 works fine.

Cheers
Peter

Tasgarth

Bash 4

#467 Post by Tasgarth »

It seems that bash 4 does not work? (spup 55 pupsave)
Bash 3 commands only work.
I could be at fault or maybe I understood something wrong.
thanks for your help
Attachments
bash.png
(14.81 KiB) Downloaded 1633 times

01micko

#468 Post by 01micko »

gerry

Thanks for reporting that pnethood is not working. I will look into this, but it does seem Barry has recently made a patched version, pnethood-0.6.6.2, however it's not available at the moment due to problems at the ibiblio repo.

peebee

Thanks for reporting that lamesmbexplorer does work, that confirms that at least the smb-client backend is working so that the issue with pnethood should be only a scripting change.

Tasgarth

As far as I know, whereis is a separate executable and not part of bash4. Be aware that many execs such as whois, which etc., are busybox applets and not the full versions, whereis is not included in Puppy. This is of course a space saving measure.
I needed bash>=4 to compile gnumeric, it would not wotk in bash<4. That's one reason I included it.
There is also a minor bug in spup bash-4* that I fixed in the previous pages.

Code: Select all

ln -sf /bin/bash /usr/bin/bash
This is needed by some scripts, notably ldd.

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Stripe

#469 Post by Stripe »

Hi all

01micko I have compiled glib 2.26.1 as well as glibc 2.12.2 in spup and made pets if they are of any use just shout
(I am trying to compile and build spup with the latest releases all on one machine)

cheers

stripe

Hesse James

Frugal installation on USB Flash

#470 Post by Hesse James »

Hello all
Has anybody of you tried to boot a frugal installation from USB-flashdisk ?
Spup055 refuses to search for Safefiles on other attached storage media. This is independent of the pmedia entry in isolinux.cfg being usbflash, ataflash or CD. An identical behavior shows lupu520. With lupu511 this was different.
Not having red fully through the last 32 pages of this thread: is there an easy measure for a workaround ?
Thank you in advance for a solution.

By the way, does anybody of you have experience with checkinstall for Slackware ?
http://checkinstall.izto.org/
Does this checkinstall-1.6.2-i386-10.tgz work for spup too ? I have tried but I was not really successful at all. I need additional investigation time.

Best regards

Christian

MinHundHettePerro

#471 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

Hello :)!

As always, I don't want to de-rail the spup thread as such :roll:. ... Still, it's the most active slack-woofing thread, per se... :)
So, here goes; I uploaded my most vanilla build of K2.6.35.10 (I'll keep my berserkially cut-down versions on the machine they were built for) , which I had greater success with than BK's 2.6.34.1, or other recent puppy-kernels (I have a HDD that's not properly recognised by official puppy kernels of lately).

Anyways, just in case someone else woofing a slackpup wants to try it ... :shock:

Cheers :)/
MHHP
[color=green]Celeron 2.8 GHz, 1 GB, i82845, many ptns, modes 12, 13
Dual Xeon 3.2 GHz, 1 GB, nvidia quadro nvs 285[/color]
Slackos & 214X, ... and Q6xx
[color=darkred]Nämen, vaf....[/color] [color=green]ln -s /dev/null MHHP[/color]

01micko

#472 Post by 01micko »

Hesse James,

I have no problem with an USB stick and a an SD card both on my eee-701SD and a HP laptop (about 2 yr old). So I am at a bit of a loss :? . Are you using FAT32 or ext2/3/4 ? Maybe try the other to what you are using to see if that makes a difference (I recommend ext2, make sure the boot flag is set). I have also used the bootflash method with success.

MHHP, cool, I may even try it myself one day.

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Stripe

#473 Post by Stripe »

Hi all

Hesse James

I usualy run from a usb pen drive but never make save files, (running in ram)

I tried placing a save file on the hard drive and could not get the puppy that made it when loaded from a usb to recognise it. I mainly use an ext4 file system with a frugal install using shinobars grub4dos to make a grub menu and to make the drive bootable (and I can have more than one puppy on a drive)

sorry I cant be more help

stripe

Thanks again 01micko spup 055 is great, I have had a look at 4 other 'top 10' distros live cds (all 600mb +) and they just dont measure up.

Have found a useful command when running make on a multi core machine. (courtesy of kde)
#make -J3 (3 = number of cores (2) +1)
have tried it out on a twin (-j3) and quad core (-j5) machine and it uses all the cores to run make (instead of just one) cutting the compiling time down greatly

Hesse James

#474 Post by Hesse James »

Hi
Thank you for your kind support but I was not successful, neither with ext2 nor with ext3 and neither with Universal Installer nor with Bootflash Installer my SD-cards was willing to detect the Savefiles on the harddisk.
But good idea 01Micko I will test it on my EEE-PC too.
Finally it doesn't really matter because my target platform will be a SSD with all files stored on it. For development reasons with a larger number of different Safefiles a quick harddisk would have been better...

Thanks

Christian

Brown Mouse

Re: Frugal installation on USB Flash

#475 Post by Brown Mouse »

Hesse James wrote:Hello all
Spup055 refuses to search for Safefiles on other attached storage media. This is independent of the pmedia entry in isolinux.cfg being usbflash, ataflash or CD. An identical behavior shows lupu520. With lupu511 this was different.
Not having red fully through the last 32 pages of this thread: is there an easy measure for a workaround ?

By the way, does anybody of you have experience with checkinstall for Slackware ?
Does this checkinstall-1.6.2-i386-10.tgz work for spup too ? I have tried but I was not really successful at all. I need additional investigation time.

Best regards

Christian
I cant really comment on spup055 but I have spup053 and Fluppy placed on a usb stick,booted by grub4dos with both savefiles stored on the Windows XP hdd.no problems at all.

Brown Mouse

Re: Frugal installation on USB Flash

#476 Post by Brown Mouse »

Hesse James wrote:Hello all

Best regards

Christian
I cant really comment on spup055 but I have spup053 and Fluppy placed on a usb stick,booted by grub4dos with both savefiles stored on the Windows XP hdd.no problems at all.

Stripe

#477 Post by Stripe »

Hi all

I have been trying to compile a later version of metacity wm but it needs gtk+-2.0>=2.20.0 the current version is 2.18.9
I have compiled and made pets of 2.99.0 and 2.20.1 but when installed along with the dependencies it just makes the system unstable with a lot off apps not working, anyone have any ideas? or is it just not feasible at the moment?

I have also tried to install the latest gnome to get around this but their installer does not let you run as root and when I #su spot I can only write to the /root/spot/ dir

if I found the source code I would only need the windowmanager and the taskbar +deps? as rox would still take care of the icons wouldn't it?

Cheers

stripe

ICPUG

#478 Post by ICPUG »

Re frugal on USB and pupsave elsewhere:

I don't actually use spup and have no idea of the chronology of the various versions. I assume it uses woof to make the build. If not, then please ignore what I say below!

Barry made some changes in woof towards the back end of last year to make sure the location of files was targetted. Previously, if pmedia, pdev1 and psubdir were used, Puppy would still go searching everywhere for the pupsave file. Of course, this would allow booting off USB but storing the save file elsewhere. The downside is twofold:
(a) bootup time is increased while it searches everywhere. This is quite noticeable on systems with many partitions and older slower devices.
(b) save files from other frugal installs can sometimes be picked up by mistake and updated without the user having the option to say no. This can be extremely annoying if it corrupts one you wanted to keep!

As I understand it, with the latest woof, Puppy will NOT go searcing everywhere now. If specified, Puppy will search where pmedia, pdev1 and psubdir tell it. If you want it to search everywhere try removing some or all of these bootcodes.

Barry's blog has details of the changes to woof, but I leave it as an exercise for you to find it in the archive!

Iguleder

#479 Post by Iguleder »

Hey guys, I just got back home and I rewrote PetThing. I'm going to build a spup with this thingy to compare it with Quickpet, I'm getting to like this approach :)

petthing-002.pet

Features:
- Simple interface, straight-forward, 1-click operation
- Fully modular design
- Browser installer mode
- An extensive configuration file, /usr/local/petthing/petthingrc - you can specify what packages and what categories you want to display!
- Locales! 8)
- Unavailable packages are not listed
- A logo for each package, /usr/local/petthing/images
- Cross-Puppy compatible, not Lupu or spup-specific! :)
Attachments
browser-installer.png
(50.93 KiB) Downloaded 1041 times
installation.png
(18.19 KiB) Downloaded 1025 times
locales.png
(44.75 KiB) Downloaded 995 times
main-window.png
(64.42 KiB) Downloaded 1008 times
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

Jim1911

#480 Post by Jim1911 »

Hi Iguleder,

PetThing is a nice little application and is similar to 01micko's Quickpet. Unfortunately it doesn't work, it appears to work and download the application selected, however, the download ends too quickly, and PPM posts an error message that it failed to install. I tried it on a pristine spup-055 with only a libreoffice.sfs and a java.sfs loaded.

Glad that you are still able to visit us on the forum and contribute your jewels.

Thanks,
Jim