#141 Post by marco07 »

bigpup wrote: For setting changes:
menu->desktop->desktop settings->
Openbox-window manager config
Fbpanel-configuration

If you change to JWM with X-WM switcher:
menu->desktop->desktop settings->
JWM configuration
Fbpanel-Configuration responds well and work alright.
JWM-configuration, however, does not stick no matter what!
I am frugal installed with a safe file size of 1GB.
bigpup wrote: You can get some very good add on programs with this package
http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/PupCo ... -Lucid.pet

If you download and install, use PupControl-panel
It will auto detect what window manager you are using and only provide the proper configuration programs to use.
They will be in:
PupControl->settings->Window Manager Settings.
I have already this installed as well. But still JWM configuration does not stick.
When i switch to JWM, it has a witdth covering only 1/3 of the screen width. I have not been able to make this to a full width either.
Any other solutions?

bigpup

#142 Post by bigpup »

When i switch to JWM, it has a witdth covering only 1/3 of the screen width. I have not been able to make this to a full width either.
Any other solutions?
Are you saying the desktop only covers 1/3 of the monitor screen?

rokytnji

IBM A22m Laptop

#143 Post by rokytnji »

No Bugs to report yet. Updated 5.1.1 frugal to 5.2 (with crossed fingers :) )

I installed Opera 11 this way http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... ost4216773

Using Netsurf as default browser (I am used to it)

No damage done. Kept my pianobar install. Not much in /temp/(was it upgrade folder? Can't remember right now since reboot) that I had to deal with. Installed recommends pets in 1st post. Thanks BigPup, for coaching for frugal update (yeah, I backed up pupsave in AntiX). So far so good. Sorry I can't post a bug yet.

Screeny pretty much tells it all. Just adjusted Openbox and fbpanel taskbar a little.
Attachments
Biker_Puppy_5.2_frugal.jpg
pianobar running and showing bash version plus showing devx installed.
(157.09 KiB) Downloaded 483 times
Last edited by rokytnji on Wed 02 Feb 2011, 16:23, edited 1 time in total.

oldmanemu

Newbie likes

#144 Post by oldmanemu »

After many days of trying to set up the internet I finally managed it, using a belkin f5d8053 and a 2wire telstra australia wifi modem. Now I am struggling to add raw support to gimp.
By the way I am a newbie to linux but have over 20 years of experience with PC's I love the distro and 50 years with a camera :D

tubeguy

clock analog clock skin keeps disappearing

#145 Post by tubeguy »

Frugal install of 5.2, pwidgets 2.2.7 and pwidgets extras 2.2.4 on Toshiba Satellite A25-S207. Clock keeps going away, comes back if I go to the pwidgets control panel and just hit apply again. I haven't timed it but it seems like if I go away for an hour or 2 it's gone. It only happens with the lappie.

Edit: Just realized I have an old version of pwidgets and extras :oops: , installed 2.3.2 and 2.3.0 respectively, will see what happens.

Edit 2: Gone again. Found this at the bottom of xerrs.log:

Code: Select all

sh: /usr/local/pwidgets/widgets/scripts/PuppyName: No such file or directory
Conky: setting bg window (2000001) 
xonclock: ../../src/xcb_io.c:249: process_responses: Assertion `(((long) (dpy->last_request_read) - (long) (dpy->request)) <= 0)' failed.
Last edited by tubeguy on Sun 23 Jan 2011, 15:51, edited 1 time in total.
[b]Tahr Pup 6 on desktop, Lucid 3HD on lappie[/b]

playdayz

#146 Post by playdayz »

oldmanemu
Now I am struggling to add raw support to gimp.
There are a couple of versions of gimp available in Quickpet and the Puppy Package Manager. Maybe one has raw capability.

You could also search the forums for Additional Software--there is a search link up at the top of the forum pages.

Here's another one to try.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 66&t=38294

playdayz

#147 Post by playdayz »

tubeguy,
Frugal install of 5.2, pwidgets 2.2.7 and pwidgets extras 2.2.4 on Toshiba Satellite A25-S207. Clock keeps going away, comes back if I go to the pwidgets control panel and just hit apply again.
You might want to post this in the pwidgets forum.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 38&t=35601

tubeguy

#148 Post by tubeguy »

playdayz wrote:tubeguy,
Frugal install of 5.2, pwidgets 2.2.7 and pwidgets extras 2.2.4 on Toshiba Satellite A25-S207. Clock keeps going away, comes back if I go to the pwidgets control panel and just hit apply again.
You might want to post this in the pwidgets forum.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 38&t=35601
Verily, I shall good sir. 8)
[b]Tahr Pup 6 on desktop, Lucid 3HD on lappie[/b]

jinx100

Degradation since 246 Beta?

#149 Post by jinx100 »

Some differences comparing Lucid Puppy 5.2 to the 246 beta.

With 5.2 when I plug in a USB flash drive the activity light on on the drive flashes twice a second for forever. With 246 it flashes for 15 seconds then stops. In both cases the drive is unmounted. With 5.2 the flashing stops if I mount the drive but returns when the drive is unmounted.

With 246 I can install Puppy to a flash drive without the iso file using the universal installer. With 5.2, the iso file is required. This is inconvenient on netbooks lacking an optical drive.

bigpup

Re: Degradation since 246 Beta?

#150 Post by bigpup »

jinx100 wrote:Some differences comparing Lucid Puppy 5.2 to the 246 beta.

With 5.2 when I plug in a USB flash drive the activity light on on the drive flashes twice a second for forever. With 246 it flashes for 15 seconds then stops. In both cases the drive is unmounted. With 5.2 the flashing stops if I mount the drive but returns when the drive is unmounted.

With 246 I can install Puppy to a flash drive without the iso file using the universal installer. With 5.2, the iso file is required. This is inconvenient on netbooks lacking an optical drive.
Computer specs please.
How you are running Lucid Puppy.

Lucid 5.2 full install
I am not seeing all this flashing of the drive light. Are you running stock Lucid 5.2 with no drive mount add on program?

How are you installing without using the Lucid Puppy 5.2 ISO file? The ISO file is what you download to get Lucid Puppy.

marco07

#151 Post by marco07 »

bigpup wrote:
Any other solutions?
No. Desktop is OK. However, the panel at the nuttom of screen is only 1/3 of its normal width. "menu" is at the buttom left corner and clock is 1/3 of the width of screen from "menu". The other 2/3 is blank.

jinx100

#152 Post by jinx100 »

Computer specs please.
How you are running Lucid Puppy.
Acer Aspire one AOA110 - N270 16GB SSD Linpus
Puppy is running from a Thumb Drive with .sfs and .2fs files while the SSD has Linpus Linux.
Lucid 5.2 full install
I am not seeing all this flashing of the drive light. Are you running stock Lucid 5.2 with no drive mount add on program?
The thumb drive is, of course, a frugal install. Only add-ons are Firefox 4, Aisleriot solitaire, Xorg high pets and Skype .sfs. Also loading pciehp kernel module to make the card readers work.
How are you installing without using the Lucid Puppy 5.2 ISO file? The ISO file is what you download to get Lucid Puppy.
Burned the ISO to a cdrom and made a bootable flash drive for the Acer. I wanted to make flash drive copies for friends with this Acer but had problems with Puppy 5.2 installer. Reverting back to the 246 beta solved this and the flashing drive activity problems.

Puppy is beautiful on this Acer. It runs fast in RAM without the SSD stalls Linpus has and the programs can be easily updated. Upgrading Firefox from 4b7 to 4b9 in Puppy went without a hitch.

vezuve

#153 Post by vezuve »

Hello,
Message original
Pc avec carte graphique et TV
Le problème est que l'on a plus le choix du serveur graphique au démarrage, donc a l'ouverture du bureau, j'ai des lignes dans tout les sens, donc impossible de voir le bureau.
Sur les anciennes version, on pouvait régler le serveur graphique et lui mettre une résolution de 600*400 et la aucun problème, le bureau s'affichait correctement
Comment faire pour avoir le choix du serveur graphique et la configuration de la résolution au démarrage :?:

Original Message
Pc with graphics card and TV
The problem is that one has no choice of graphical server at startup, so has the office opened, I have lines in all directions, impossible to see the desktop.
On older version, you could set the server to put a graphic resolution of 600 * 400 and no problem, the desktop appears correctly
How to have a choice of graphical server and configuring the resolution at startup :?:

@+
Recherche
[url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]sur PUPPY[/url] anglai + souven
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/PageIndex]PUPPY wikka tou sur tou[/url] anglai

bigpup

#154 Post by bigpup »

jinx100 wrote:The thumb drive is, of course, a frugal install. Only add-ons are Firefox 4, Aisleriot solitaire, Xorg high pets and Skype .sfs. Also loading pciehp kernel module to make the card readers work.

Burned the ISO to a cdrom and made a bootable flash drive for the Acer. I wanted to make flash drive copies for friends with this Acer but had problems with Puppy 5.2 installer. Reverting back to the 246 beta solved this and the flashing drive activity problems.
Ideas to try:
ISO of Lucid 5.2 is bad download. It does happen. Internet hiccup.
Use the Boot flash program to setup the flash drive.
Reformat and or partition flash drive.
Flash drive needs to be clean for install. Old files mixing with new install. Can cause problems.
ext4 format. Most builds of Puppy, including Lucid, are using syslinux version 3.x, which does not support ext4.
Every problem has a solution.
Attachments
image01717.JPG
Solution for any problem
(125.87 KiB) Downloaded 1937 times

chrismt

#155 Post by chrismt »

Can you please give me the option to individually update the repos instead of automatically updating all of them and wasting time?

Diamond

No sound

#156 Post by Diamond »

Hi to all puppy lovers!
I have been using version 4.3.1,but in puppy 5.2 there is no sound.
I have been using Sound blaster sound card.Puppy recognized it,but refuse to use it as a primary sound driver.
Second,I have problem with thunar manager.It wont start.
Thanx!

bigpup

#157 Post by bigpup »

marco07 wrote:
bigpup wrote:
Any other solutions?
No. Desktop is OK. However, the panel at the nuttom of screen is only 1/3 of its normal width. "menu" is at the buttom left corner and clock is 1/3 of the width of screen from "menu". The other 2/3 is blank.
Try changing /root/.jwmrc-tray
(it's a hidden file in you home or root folder, left click eye in Rox toolbar to see hidden files).
Open in text editor.
Check number 2 line and make it look like this:

<Tray autohide="false" insert="right" x="0" y="-1" border="1" height="28" >

Restart JWM in main menu>Shutdown.

playdayz

#158 Post by playdayz »

1.) First of all - vmware player is not running anymore!!! I get the message: Attempt to remove filter...
I have recognized that this comes from the deleted hal daemon. If i reinstall and start the hal daemon everything world fine again. PLEASE reactivate hal in the next release
robiwan, Here is the complete hal. We have reports that one program needs libhal, which is provided in 5.2. This is the first report of a program that needs hald. It takes space both in the iso and in memory, and uses cpu, so I do not think we will add it back in. But we will have it available in the Puppy Package Manager (as soon as ibiblio stabilizes). To use hald, install the pet and reboot.

------------------------------------------------------------
BTW, I have gotten behind uploading to the lucid-puppy-repo because ibiblio has been reorganizing.

TryingToUnderstand

Puppy Package Manager Problems

#159 Post by TryingToUnderstand »

Has anyone reported problems with Package Manager in 5.20?

I've updated PPM through QuickPet and also the database through PPM "Configure", and that didn't help.

Here's what I seeing:

I go to configure and select 5 repositories and then PPM only shows somewhere between 1 and 4 of those repositories under the title bar. Then if I got into configure and select 5 different repositories and hit ok, it won't update that list under the titlebar unless I close PPM and restart it, and even then it still only shows 1-4 of my 5 selected repositories.

I looked on the bug list http://www.diddywahdiddy.net/LupuNews/index4.html and it suggests PPM problems may be related to a small save file. My save file is 1GB with 865M free, so that doesn't seem to be the problem.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Steve.

scsijon

Re: Puppy Package Manager Problems

#160 Post by scsijon »

TryingToUnderstand wrote:Has anyone reported problems with Package Manager in 5.20?

I go to configure and select 5 repositories and then PPM only shows somewhere between 1 and 4 of those repositories under the title bar. Then if I got into configure and select 5 different repositories and hit ok, it won't update that list under the titlebar unless I close PPM and restart it, and even then it still only shows 1-4 of my 5 selected repositories.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Steve.
There has been a requirement for some time, that to see your new repositries, you needed to close and restart ppm, something to do with the repositry structures involved.

I've been getting only 4 if 5 selected often, due I'm coming to believe to the title lengths of the repositries, or screen matrix (I use 1024x768). I am beginning to think it's actually there in the one line, just not being displayed as the box has a set size or is wrapping and therefore hidden.
Maybe something that needs it's own "bug" report in the Bugs section to be created and passed on to Barry for attention, if a code developer (maybe 8) technosaurus or 01micko can advise) can't handle it which way to go.

regards
scsijon