How to install lexmark x2600 printer in puppy 4.2?

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
electric smurf

How to install lexmark x2600 printer in puppy 4.2?

#1 Post by electric smurf »

I have have been amazed with how well puppy works. It has made me want to ditch windows but I am unable to install my lexmark x2600.

I have managed to install puppy in 2 lap tops and 3 PCs as well as make bootable flash drives as gifts for friends and family. (Their printers worked right away)

But I cant figure out how to install my printer. Any help would be most appreciated.

And to everyone who has contributed to the puppy(s) project(s) my family and I want to say THANK YOU!

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

If you go to openprinting.org, you will find this printer listed as "works" but you need a driver from the lexmark website. Unfortunately, this driver is quite large so you will either need a big pup_save file or a full install to use it.

There are also some references in the openprinting forum to the scripting language "lua" with the x2600 series. This may or may not work in Puppy.

electric smurf

#3 Post by electric smurf »

Thanks rcrsn51

I had found that this printer was listed as "works" but I am not sure how to download the driver.

You pointed out that the driver is quite large but my smallest pup_save file is one gig. on my hard drive and my largest is 4 gigs on a Superfloppy USB flash drive though I think the max puppy can recognize is 1.8 Gigs.

Anyway I assume I have enough because I already downloaded it (lexmark-inkjet-08-driver-1.0-1.i386.tar.gz.sh.zip) but I don't know what to do with it.

Thanks for your time.

rcrsn51

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

Click on the lexmark-inkjet-08-driver-1.0-1.i386.tar.gz.sh.zip file to unzip it.
This will get you a new file lexmark-inkjet-08-driver-1.0-1.i386.tar.gz.sh. This is the installer program. To run it, go to a console and type:

Code: Select all

./lexmark-inkjet-08-driver-1.0-1.i386.tar.gz.sh

electric smurf

#5 Post by electric smurf »

Ok, I will list each step to see were I went wrong.

When I press download it ask me if I want to save to disk or open with pupzip.

I checked pupzip and downloaded.

After down load I clicked on the file and extracted it to /tmp.

Then tried to run it by going to the console and typing:

./lexmark-inkjet-08-driver-1. 0-1. i386. tar. gz. sh

Then press enter.

And it says "no such file or directory"

After you regain your composure from seeing the above error(s) could you please tell me what I did wrong?

Thanks again for the help.

rcrsn51

#6 Post by rcrsn51 »

The command needs to be run from the folder where the file exists. Assuming that the file is still in /tmp, type:

cd /tmp
Or you could do it this way:

/tmp/lexmark-inkjet-08-driver-1.0-1.i386.tar.gz.sh

electric smurf

#7 Post by electric smurf »

Thank you very much!

I have the printer installed in all but one computer.

The one computer that has a pup_save file on the hard drive instead of on a flash drive is the only one that does not work because the pup_save file is to small like you had said.

On that one I might just do a full install as for the others I think I'll leave them the way they are because I don't see any advantages to a full install.

come to think about it there are more advantages to running off the flash drives because each of us (my family) can take the flash drives any were.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

rcrsn51

#8 Post by rcrsn51 »

Glad to help. That was easier than I thought it might be!

alfbar1

#9 Post by alfbar1 »

I have a problem when run

console gives an error,

go tar
tar fail #1

stop and exit, I think is simple to resolve, my OS 5.2

rcrsn51

#10 Post by rcrsn51 »

I have converted this package into a PET. It supports the Lexmark 2600 series and the Z2300. Download it here.

Please report back with its success or failure.

This package also installs a scanner driver for Xsane.

horhota

Lexmark x2600 install crashes

#11 Post by horhota »

Thanks to rcrsn51 for directing me here. I read through the above posts and downloaded the lexmark-inkjet-08-driver-1.0-1.i386.tar.gz.sh.zip from Lexmark site, unpacked it and tried to run the lexmark-inkjet-08-driver-1.0-1.i386.tar.gz.sh job/script. The processs looked familiar and then I checked back and found that I had already tried this a year or two ago. I followed the prompts and a window/box showed files being loaded and run. However the install then quickly crashed with the error:
Lua error detected: config/run.lua:325: Lua error detected: config/run.lua:1200: Could not execute command: sh /tmp/selfgz99479315/pkg/files/SCRIPTS/preinst
I clicked on okay and the install stopped. Couldn't find out what had happened because the install cleaned up all the files so ran the install again but left the error on the screen while I traced back through /tmp/selfgz9947... etc to see what it was doing. I got down to the /files folder or directory and found that there was no /SCRIPTS folder and therefore no preinst file.(In fact I couldn't find a file by that name anywhere in the path/directories) Since the /tmp/selfgz9947.. directories were all built during the install it looks as though something wasn't in the .tar.zip file or didn't get built by the unzip.
Just for interest, I ran the lexmark install on a second, larger desktop computer and got same results.
A year or so ago I was using Puppy 4.3.1, now I'm using 5.2(Lucid) and getting same results - crashing. Can't recall the exact problem from year ago.
So... does anyone have any ideas as to what is going wrong and how to fix this? It's not urgent - I don't use Puppy much anymore because of the printing but I'd appreciate any help or suggestions. Thanks!

rcrsn51

#12 Post by rcrsn51 »

In the post directly above yours, I have packaged the Lexmark driver as a PET.

horhota

PET file worked! X2670 up and running

#13 Post by horhota »

Thanks, rcrsn51. I tried the PET file and it worked in PuppyLinux 5.2. I downloaded the file and then just clicked on its icon and it said that it installed properly. Somewhere I read to check the usr/share/cups/model path/folders and I found a Lexmark folder with a X26xx.ppd file. When I ran the CUPS add-printer function, I ignored the box to select a manufacturer and model and went straight to the provide a .ppd file box. I can't find the option to enter a .ppd file in Puppy 4.3.1 but some day I may go back and try the PET file with that version as well.
It would seem to me that PET files are the way to go when installing a printer. Up to now, my attempts to install printers were complicated and frustrating - something that I could never suggest to others. The PET files provide a very simple and user friendly solution that I can recommend! Thanks again for your support and suggestions.

rcrsn51

#14 Post by rcrsn51 »

Glad to help
I ignored the box to select a manufacturer and model and went straight to the provide a .ppd file box.
There is no advantage to doing this. In fact it's misleading, because it suggests that you only need a PPD file to install a printer.

Puppy 4.3.1 has the older CUPS, so you will install it the standard way by selecting a Make and Model.

If you read here, you will find PET driver packages for many printer manufacturers.

alfbar1

#15 Post by alfbar1 »

Thanks rcrsn51
I try only Xsane to scan, PET file works, lexmark x2650 and puppy 5.2

Frank Cox

Puppy savefile size

#16 Post by Frank Cox »

electric smurf wrote:Thanks rcrsn51

I had found that this printer was listed as "works" but I am not sure how to download the driver.

You pointed out that the driver is quite large but my smallest pup_save file is one gig. on my hard drive and my largest is 4 gigs on a Superfloppy USB flash drive though I think the max puppy can recognize is 1.8 Gigs.

Anyway I assume I have enough because I already downloaded it (lexmark-inkjet-08-driver-1.0-1.i386.tar.gz.sh.zip) but I don't know what to do with it.

Thanks for your time.
I have had savefiles 8 gigs with no problem.

Frank Cox

Thanks and Question

#17 Post by Frank Cox »

I tried all the command line options and the best I ever did was get the gui to work for a minute and then crash. I tried your pet and voila! No worries.

do you know how to download the Lexmark controls? Cups will print test page but not clean cartridges.

Thanks again!

rcrsn51

#18 Post by rcrsn51 »

Cups will print test page but not clean cartridges.
Are we talking about the Lexmark x2600?

First, you need to determine the "queue name" of your printer. This is the name that CUPS assigned to the printer, not the "description" that you gave it.

Find the name by running the CUPS wizard, or by using the command "lpstat -v".

Now go to the folder /usr/local/lexmark/lxk08/bin. Locate the program "prnutility". Run it from the command line with

./prnutility -h
Note the command for cleaning the print heads. Using the queue name from above, run it as

./prnutility -d queue -c
I don't have a printer to test this with, so please report back.

Frank Cox

Code works-Printer does not

#19 Post by Frank Cox »

I ran the code but apparently when you remove the cartridges you might as well chunk them.
When I told it to clean it said the black cartridge was bad and the color non-existent.