Lobster
Official Crustacean

Expect the Unexpected

#1 Post by Lobster »

The perfect Puppy does not exist.
Maybe it never will. :shock:

Lucid is our best Puppy to date
It is based on Barrys woof technology
which can be found in Spup, Quirky, Wary and Dpup.

It had more support from developers and testers
than any previous Puppy.

Lucid was created without using a version control system
(Many have been tried and tested and probably the only one
I know that has worked for Puppy development is Barrys Bone system)
http://bkhome.org/bones/index.html

Lucid was created without a full time team
Created without funding from a South African businessman

Puppy supports some of the best drivers
Puppy has some of the latest Linux software and technology
Puppy becomes easier to use with innovations such as Quickpet
and (coming soon) a Control Center

Puppy runs from SD, multsession, HD, USB
and manages to be voted the best Live CD/DVD of 2010
Yes you can run Puppy without effecting your hard disk
or your installed Windows or favourite Linux or BSD

Puppy users come from every continent
Speak many languages, have many ideas
Try many things. We have fun.

Soon the new Puppy will emerge.
I can not tell you from where
It could be Dpup, Spup, Saluki, Lucid 5.3
Tuxpup or something totally different

. . . totally different is often the way around here
After all you can always teach the new dog old tricks :D

Puppy Linux
Not bad for a small dog
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

GustavoYz

Re: Expect the Unexpected

#2 Post by GustavoYz »

Lobster wrote: Puppy Linux
Not bad for a small dog

8).

nooby

#3 Post by nooby »

Lobster don't get me wrong now but if Lucid is best then it would work as good as Fluppy puppy and Snow Puppy and maybe Puppeee does on my Acer D250 while Lucid often fails to boot on that machine.

that don't make it the best Puppy distro that makes it a narrow version that only works on some hardware and not on very common Netbooks that are sold in droves all the world over. Easy to carry low priced mini laptops that ordinary people can affort. Atom CPU and 1GB DRAM

So if Lucid is best then it would not fail to boot on it. That is logic to me.

But Lucid is very good on the computers it does work on. I love Lucid very much that is why I am so disappointed that the code that Jemimah had on her Fluppy and which pemasu also included in his Snow Puppy was not considered when making Lucid.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#4 Post by Lobster »

The next Puppy may well have a greater diversity of compatibility. I may be able to watch complete streaming programs from the BBC, rather than in 20 mins chunks.
The problem seems to lie with the Crystal ATI driver and Flash, both proprietray
and both very poorly coded bloatation we can not control.
I can watch in Ubuntu and Mint but have no inclination to

I prefer to dance
The next Puppy may even dance at the Window.

Change the logic to what can be done.

I have my sisters portable computer.
I have the Windows discs and I can not connect wirelessly. Not going to bother.

I will update her to VLC SFS so she can uses her Pilates DVD, Skype SFS and virtual box
and will maybe create a front end. That should be fun.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Lookinglass360

Expect the Unexpected

#5 Post by Lookinglass360 »

From A newbie
Lobster;
Spot on with this thread, Thanks for all that you do!

nooby;
When you go to the pet store to get a new puppy you don’t bring home the whole lot
you pick the one you like the best and train it or take it to someone to train it for you
if you are unable.
Don’t forget where puplets come from!

THANKS TO ALL THE DEVELOPERS AND THE COMMUNITY AT LARGE FOR A CHOICE!
....AND MAKING IT FUN TO LEARN HOW... "IT CAN BE DONE" :D

Cheers; To the future,....Where no dog's gone before!........What no roads?

Bob

obxjerry

#6 Post by obxjerry »

This post is a rant.

Currently I'm deciding which Puppy to give a person I have met that I think is ripe to move to Linux. I've been using Puppy for about a year now and somehow I see myself as part of the silent majority that just wants their computer to reliably do the things they do.

Puppy 431 saved me from buying new hardware because my software was losing support. It also made some even older hardware usable so now I have 7 computers running Puppy. I have had some issues with 431 on laptops but it's pretty solid on the desktops. 431 still works fine but it's not the latest, greatest Puppy.

A big part of this forum seems to be multiple Puppys. I have tried a few but hadn't installed them to HDD until recently. I don't think I have to go into why I chose 2.14x and Wary 104 as possible Puppys for the long haul. The first laptop I installed both to, ran both fine from the CD but, unbelievably slow when installed on the HDD. The second laptop I installed both to, started out OK but, Firefox will not start on 2.14x after an update and Wary 104 went from no problems with either wireless card I have, to won't connect with one and doesn't like the other. I have reinstalled Wary 104 and will stick to one card from now on.

So which Puppy do I give this guy to run on his 5 year old desktop? I'm thinking I have to go with 431. From my experience, I think it has a great chance of running right out of the box. If it does have an issue or two, a little tweaking may be a permanent fix.

So what's my point? I don't want to expect the unexpected. I don't mind new software if I have a new need. I'd like to think I can use 431 forever. Is that wrong? Is there a chance for an Old Dog Puppy or a Beetle Puppy, small, efficient, dependable and just works unchanged year after year? I'd like to have it and I'd really like to be able to recommend something like that to others.
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup

I'd rather be sailing

racepres

#7 Post by racepres »

Obxjerry:
The puppy I give to "friends" is always 4.2Retro nowadays.
I generally put the firefox.pet, the flash.pet and always the aceofpenguins.pet in them.
I also generally rightclick and "remove item" the icons on the desktop whick only either confuse or get the new user in trouble... I always leave home, browse, play. Some times I leave connect, email, chat, maybe a couple others.
Oh, and I generally add the weather widget [it is an indicator of network connection status] then I hide the tray, x the add widgets x the add icons... You know... K.I.S.S....
No complaints nor problems yet, as these are every one Windoze folks they seem passably comfortable with this setup.
My 2 1/2 Cents...
RP

obxjerry

#8 Post by obxjerry »

Thanks, racepres. I think you've offered good advice. I have used 421-retro on one of my old laptops and if this guy was running old hardware I'd do that. I do like Pwidgets. I do like KISS. I do think this guy may be as happy with 431 as I have. If not I think he'll be looking for another distro not a different Puppy.
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup

I'd rather be sailing

racepres

#9 Post by racepres »

I understand... Yes 431 is a neat one!
I just have great luck w/ 4.2 R
I hope you get him converted...
BTW I almost always leave potential converts with a dual boot option... But, I am beginning to realize that it may Not be the best way to go... Puppy only on a box, may be better in many ways.. especially w/ the grub timeout set at "0".
Then we can have "boot races"!! LOL
RP