Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 20 Dec 2014, 04:45
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Lucid Puppy 5.2 Official Release JAN 5 2011
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 53 of 71 [1064 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, ..., 69, 70, 71 Next
pemasu

PostPosted: Thu 20 Jan 2011, 02:25    Post subject:  

I have seen a report that Aqualung in repo does not have mp3 encoding aka ripping enabled. Coolpups Aqualung from wikka page stripped mp3 ok.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=64040
pupadakat

PostPosted: Thu 20 Jan 2011, 07:19    Post subject: Any Ideas?  

I tryed many possibilities but in my case only Puppy 4.3.1 works ok on sound. When trying lupu 5.1.1 or 5.2 it's the same problem: the sound tucks (and repeats the same fragment endlessly until the program using it is closed (by me)).
Is there any upgrade for audio configuring? is alsa corrupt or something in lucid puppy?
stu90

PostPosted: Thu 20 Jan 2011, 11:03    Post subject:  

01micko wrote:
stu90

Nice "radkyfication" Laughing (I'm sure he's flattered Wink )

An issue with pupradio, did you see the buttons at the bottom were chopped off?

Here's an alternate gui which will handle mods better but may not fit tiny screens so well. (attached)

Cheers

Good catch 01micko, missed that one Embarassed - updated now cheers.
playdayz

PostPosted: Thu 20 Jan 2011, 13:29    Post subject:  

Puppy Control Panel Plus

By radky, stu90, and 01micko

Too many cool features to list: Control Panel, App Launcher, Desktop Icon Control, PupSnap, many programs with similar theme

Install the pet and then click the Setup icon on the desktop. There are also new listings in the Menu.

Time for testing. Thanks everyone.

http://www.diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/PupComboPlus-1.1-Lucid.pet

radky, I changed Settings -> Country and Settings -> Timezone because we want all of that to go through countrywizard now.

Last edited by playdayz on Thu 20 Jan 2011, 18:39; edited 3 times in total
playdayz

PostPosted: Thu 20 Jan 2011, 13:43    Post subject:  

Quote:
I tryed many possibilities but in my case only Puppy 4.3.1 works ok on sound. When trying lupu 5.1.1 or 5.2 it's the same problem: the sound tucks (and repeats the same fragment endlessly until the program using it is closed (by me)).
Is there any upgrade for audio configuring? is alsa corrupt or something in lucid puppy?

This is the first we have heard of this problem with sound. Can you provide more details please--what program, what kind of sound file, etc.

I would recommend trying to use a different sound program--Pmusic is installed, and Audacious and aqualunq and deadbeef are all in the Puppy Package Manager.

Also, of course, try some different sound files. If that doesn't help, you might try Menu -> Setup -> Alsa Sound Wizard.
pupadakat

PostPosted: Thu 20 Jan 2011, 17:26    Post subject:  

Thank you for the reply.
See, now I'm on Puppy Linux 4.3.1 and everything goes ok. But when I open some web pages such as a facebook photography, the speed/framerate becomes a little slow, and that's why I want to change to Lucid Puppy 5.2.

On Puppy Linux 4.3.1: when doing on a terminal cat /proc/asound/card the result is: HDA-Intel on irq 5. Besides, alsaconf tells me this hda-intel is "8086:2668 (rev 04)".
On Lucid Puppy 5.2 it told me hda-intel was "Realtek 82801... a very long phrase I can't remember right now.

On that Lucid Puppy 5.2 (and on LuPu 5.1.1 too) what happened was: Just at the beginning of my live-USB or live-CD, when prompting a Lucid Puppy welcome page (with the default web browser) instead of 2 barks, I hear them repeatedly woof-woof-woof-woof-... until I close the window. On those same LuPu's, if I run alsa wizard, the program (aside from that difference of Realtek...) ends up in the same way: when starting the default probe sound of the 2 barks, it doesn't stop barking. On the other hand, I've seen that when I open that alsa wizard, in Lucid Puppy versions the rapidly disappearing white terminal window says a "something not found" and passes to the blue screen with the ok option to go on with the configuration process. On Puppy 4.3.1 this error doesn't appear; the white window is too fast and passes rapidly to the blue one and another orange prompt appears quite rapidly as well, saying a warning.

Well, I hope it's enough. Maybe it's just my LuPu's have a corrupt alsa program and I have to change it, or maybe you can help me configure the soundcard manually (step by step if possible) on LuPu.

Thanks!!!
playdayz

PostPosted: Thu 20 Jan 2011, 18:34    Post subject:  

Pup Control Plus
Now Version 1.1, with PupClockset 1.2
http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/PupComboPlus-1.1-Lucid.pet
Install the pet and click the Setup icon on the desktop, or check Menu -> General Utilities
pupscreen.png
 Description   
 Filesize   170.65 KB
 Viewed   2131 Time(s)

pupscreen.png

playdayz

PostPosted: Thu 20 Jan 2011, 18:43    Post subject:  

Quote:
I have seen a report that Aqualung in repo does not have mp3 encoding aka ripping enabled. Coolpups Aqualung from wikka page stripped mp3 ok.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=64040

pemasu provides the fix in the thread.
playdayz

PostPosted: Thu 20 Jan 2011, 19:13    Post subject:  

pupadakat, Try this, Menu -> Multimedia -> Media Tools -> Alsamixer and then press F6. That should give a list of the sound cards that alsa thinks it has found. The newer alsa's "find" video cards with sound and sometimes call that a soundcard. But that will not reset the default, which you need. The Alsa Sound Wizard can do that, if it shows a "real" soundcard. But I assume you have tried changing the default--if you even get a list.

Another suggestion, try 01micko's Spup as a live CD. He has a cool utility at bootup that lets you choose a default sound card.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=62750
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Fri 21 Jan 2011, 00:49    Post subject:  

Quote:
Pup Control Plus

For some reason the desktop icons would turn off on occasion, usually when I reset some other setting. Then equally obscurely they would return. I liked them off. It was a nice effect.
With the Pup Control Panel (under desktop) it seems I can control that option. With wbar, my own wallpaper and settings and right clicking to bring up the menu and the Pup Control Panel, I now have an ideal degree of simplicity and control. Cool

Is it possible (just an idea) to scroll over the tabs in the Pup Control Plus and make the options just appear? In effect this would make it more like a menu system . . .

Thanks guys Smile

mamasboy

PostPosted: Fri 21 Jan 2011, 10:41    Post subject:  

playdayz wrote:

This looks promising.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?search_id=1972129241&t=59846

I just made this
http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/apache2-2.2.14-Lucid.pet

thanz playdayz... i will try it soon!
playdayz

PostPosted: Fri 21 Jan 2011, 12:36    Post subject:  

Quote:
For some reason the desktop icons would turn off on occasion, usually when I reset some other setting. Then equally obscurely they would return. I liked them off. It was a nice effect.
With the Pup Control Panel (under desktop) it seems I can control that option.

Yes. That is 01micko's Desksetup Templates for Desk Icons--the second listing under Desktop in Pupcontrol. It also has its own menu entry under Desktop. We should include it in 5.2.1--even though 5.2.1 is mainly only going to be bug fixes. This is a real enhancement imho and it is something many people have wished for. It should solve the problem of losing one's desktop icon setup when upgrading, because you can save particular setups.

I forgot to mention earlier that PupControl Plus also has zigbert's alternate interface for Puppy Package Manager.

And one more. PupSnap, for screenshots, is also included--with a menu entry under Graphics.
NE1

PostPosted: Fri 21 Jan 2011, 17:32    Post subject: Desktop icon size  

Like some others, I find that the size of the desktop icons are a little too large for the resolution/monitor I am using (1280x1024 on 17" monitor)... While some window managers allow you to change the size of the icons (in some automated way), it seems many do not.

Resizing each icon (in mtpaint, etc), and then using set icon (with Rox) to redo all the icons seemed overly complicated to me...

Looking at icon_switcher, I noticed that it already has code in it that generates icons (from the 48x48 icons) at a different size (scaled to 24).

For my personal use, I added code that also generates icons scaled to 36 (pnmscale 0.75) which works good for me (I left the 48x48 icons there as well, as I am not sure if anything else uses them). I then modified the various files (e.g. functions4puppy4, globicons, the .DirIcons and related scripts for the things like zip and trash, etc) that set the desktop icons to use the sized 36 icons. Now when I run the Desktop Icon Switcher, it automatically creates and uses size 36 icons for the desktop with whatever theme I choose, etc.

In any case, I was thinking it should not be too difficult to modify the icon_switcher gui and script to let the user choose the size of the desktop icons (within certain limits). Maybe something for future lupu versions?

Anyway, just a thought/suggestion...
bigpup

PostPosted: Fri 21 Jan 2011, 17:55    Post subject: Desktop toy  

Not sure what this falls under, but it does look different. May be something to add to PPM.
It could be a fun item, Could be a desktop screen saver. Could be a game.
Take a look:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=63512
jpeps

PostPosted: Fri 21 Jan 2011, 19:41    Post subject: Bash compiled
Subject description: version 4.1.0(1)-release (i686-pc-linux-gnu)

Fresh compile for 5.2
bash-4.1.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  bash-4.1.pet 
Filesize  1.21 MB 
Downloaded  293 Time(s) 
Page 53 of 71 [1064 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, ..., 69, 70, 71 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: