Lucid Puppy 5.2 Official Release JAN 5 2011

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
pemasu

#781 Post by pemasu »

I have seen a report that Aqualung in repo does not have mp3 encoding aka ripping enabled. Coolpups Aqualung from wikka page stripped mp3 ok.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=64040

pupadakat

Any Ideas?

#782 Post by pupadakat »

I tryed many possibilities but in my case only Puppy 4.3.1 works ok on sound. When trying lupu 5.1.1 or 5.2 it's the same problem: the sound tucks (and repeats the same fragment endlessly until the program using it is closed (by me)).
Is there any upgrade for audio configuring? is alsa corrupt or something in lucid puppy?

stu90

#783 Post by stu90 »

01micko wrote:stu90

Nice "radkyfication" :lol: (I'm sure he's flattered :wink: )

An issue with pupradio, did you see the buttons at the bottom were chopped off?

Here's an alternate gui which will handle mods better but may not fit tiny screens so well. (attached)

Cheers
Good catch 01micko, missed that one :oops: - updated now cheers.

playdayz

#784 Post by playdayz »

Puppy Control Panel Plus

By radky, stu90, and 01micko

Too many cool features to list: Control Panel, App Launcher, Desktop Icon Control, PupSnap, many programs with similar theme

Install the pet and then click the Setup icon on the desktop. There are also new listings in the Menu.

Time for testing. Thanks everyone.

http://www.diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/P ... -Lucid.pet

radky, I changed Settings -> Country and Settings -> Timezone because we want all of that to go through countrywizard now.
Last edited by playdayz on Thu 20 Jan 2011, 22:39, edited 3 times in total.

playdayz

#785 Post by playdayz »

I tryed many possibilities but in my case only Puppy 4.3.1 works ok on sound. When trying lupu 5.1.1 or 5.2 it's the same problem: the sound tucks (and repeats the same fragment endlessly until the program using it is closed (by me)).
Is there any upgrade for audio configuring? is alsa corrupt or something in lucid puppy?
This is the first we have heard of this problem with sound. Can you provide more details please--what program, what kind of sound file, etc.

I would recommend trying to use a different sound program--Pmusic is installed, and Audacious and aqualunq and deadbeef are all in the Puppy Package Manager.

Also, of course, try some different sound files. If that doesn't help, you might try Menu -> Setup -> Alsa Sound Wizard.

pupadakat

#786 Post by pupadakat »

Thank you for the reply.
See, now I'm on Puppy Linux 4.3.1 and everything goes ok. But when I open some web pages such as a facebook photography, the speed/framerate becomes a little slow, and that's why I want to change to Lucid Puppy 5.2.

On Puppy Linux 4.3.1: when doing on a terminal cat /proc/asound/card the result is: HDA-Intel on irq 5. Besides, alsaconf tells me this hda-intel is "8086:2668 (rev 04)".
On Lucid Puppy 5.2 it told me hda-intel was "Realtek 82801... a very long phrase I can't remember right now.

On that Lucid Puppy 5.2 (and on LuPu 5.1.1 too) what happened was: Just at the beginning of my live-USB or live-CD, when prompting a Lucid Puppy welcome page (with the default web browser) instead of 2 barks, I hear them repeatedly woof-woof-woof-woof-... until I close the window. On those same LuPu's, if I run alsa wizard, the program (aside from that difference of Realtek...) ends up in the same way: when starting the default probe sound of the 2 barks, it doesn't stop barking. On the other hand, I've seen that when I open that alsa wizard, in Lucid Puppy versions the rapidly disappearing white terminal window says a "something not found" and passes to the blue screen with the ok option to go on with the configuration process. On Puppy 4.3.1 this error doesn't appear; the white window is too fast and passes rapidly to the blue one and another orange prompt appears quite rapidly as well, saying a warning.

Well, I hope it's enough. Maybe it's just my LuPu's have a corrupt alsa program and I have to change it, or maybe you can help me configure the soundcard manually (step by step if possible) on LuPu.

Thanks!!!

playdayz

#787 Post by playdayz »

Pup Control Plus
Now Version 1.1, with PupClockset 1.2
http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/PupCo ... -Lucid.pet
Install the pet and click the Setup icon on the desktop, or check Menu -> General Utilities
Attachments
pupscreen.png
(170.65 KiB) Downloaded 2155 times

playdayz

#788 Post by playdayz »

I have seen a report that Aqualung in repo does not have mp3 encoding aka ripping enabled. Coolpups Aqualung from wikka page stripped mp3 ok.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=64040

pemasu provides the fix in the thread.

playdayz

#789 Post by playdayz »

pupadakat, Try this, Menu -> Multimedia -> Media Tools -> Alsamixer and then press F6. That should give a list of the sound cards that alsa thinks it has found. The newer alsa's "find" video cards with sound and sometimes call that a soundcard. But that will not reset the default, which you need. The Alsa Sound Wizard can do that, if it shows a "real" soundcard. But I assume you have tried changing the default--if you even get a list.

Another suggestion, try 01micko's Spup as a live CD. He has a cool utility at bootup that lets you choose a default sound card.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=62750

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#790 Post by Lobster »

Pup Control Plus
For some reason the desktop icons would turn off on occasion, usually when I reset some other setting. Then equally obscurely they would return. I liked them off. It was a nice effect.
With the Pup Control Panel (under desktop) it seems I can control that option. With wbar, my own wallpaper and settings and right clicking to bring up the menu and the Pup Control Panel, I now have an ideal degree of simplicity and control. 8)

Is it possible (just an idea) to scroll over the tabs in the Pup Control Plus and make the options just appear? In effect this would make it more like a menu system . . .

Thanks guys :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

mamasboy

#791 Post by mamasboy »

thanz playdayz... i will try it soon!

playdayz

#792 Post by playdayz »

For some reason the desktop icons would turn off on occasion, usually when I reset some other setting. Then equally obscurely they would return. I liked them off. It was a nice effect.
With the Pup Control Panel (under desktop) it seems I can control that option.
Yes. That is 01micko's Desksetup Templates for Desk Icons--the second listing under Desktop in Pupcontrol. It also has its own menu entry under Desktop. We should include it in 5.2.1--even though 5.2.1 is mainly only going to be bug fixes. This is a real enhancement imho and it is something many people have wished for. It should solve the problem of losing one's desktop icon setup when upgrading, because you can save particular setups.

I forgot to mention earlier that PupControl Plus also has zigbert's alternate interface for Puppy Package Manager.

And one more. PupSnap, for screenshots, is also included--with a menu entry under Graphics.

NE1

Desktop icon size

#793 Post by NE1 »

Like some others, I find that the size of the desktop icons are a little too large for the resolution/monitor I am using (1280x1024 on 17" monitor)... While some window managers allow you to change the size of the icons (in some automated way), it seems many do not.

Resizing each icon (in mtpaint, etc), and then using set icon (with Rox) to redo all the icons seemed overly complicated to me...

Looking at icon_switcher, I noticed that it already has code in it that generates icons (from the 48x48 icons) at a different size (scaled to 24).

For my personal use, I added code that also generates icons scaled to 36 (pnmscale 0.75) which works good for me (I left the 48x48 icons there as well, as I am not sure if anything else uses them). I then modified the various files (e.g. functions4puppy4, globicons, the .DirIcons and related scripts for the things like zip and trash, etc) that set the desktop icons to use the sized 36 icons. Now when I run the Desktop Icon Switcher, it automatically creates and uses size 36 icons for the desktop with whatever theme I choose, etc.

In any case, I was thinking it should not be too difficult to modify the icon_switcher gui and script to let the user choose the size of the desktop icons (within certain limits). Maybe something for future lupu versions?

Anyway, just a thought/suggestion...

bigpup

Desktop toy

#794 Post by bigpup »

Not sure what this falls under, but it does look different. May be something to add to PPM.
It could be a fun item, Could be a desktop screen saver. Could be a game.
Take a look:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=63512

jpeps

Bash compiled

#795 Post by jpeps »

Fresh compile for 5.2

bigpup

#796 Post by bigpup »

Here is another program for consideration to put into PPM.
A ttuuxxx program

Gsmartcontrol (hard drive info and health testing)

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=46863

Dave_B

#797 Post by Dave_B »

bigpup wrote:Here is another program for consideration to put into PPM.
A ttuuxxx program

Gsmartcontrol (hard drive info and health testing)

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=46863
I've been looking for this!
Thank you.
Dave

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#798 Post by Lobster »

Code: Select all

Spider mode enabled. Check if remote file exists.
--2011-01-22 13:07:22--  http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/puppylinux/pet-packages-lucid/skype_static-2.1.0.81.sfs%20skype_static-2.1.0.81.sfs
Resolving distro.ibiblio.org... 152.19.134.43
Connecting to distro.ibiblio.org|152.19.134.43|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 
  HTTP/1.0 404 Not Found
  Content-Type: text/html
  Content-Length: 345
  Connection: keep-alive
  Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 13:07:23 GMT
  Server: lighttpd/1.4.26
Remote file does not exist -- broken link!!!
Skype SFS is not downloading. I believe iblio are moving/upgrading their servers?
So should be OK in a day or two? Is there another source?

Look forward to 5.2.1 bug fix with added pupcontrol center and other goodies.
Is lack of Transmission (working bit torrent) and Chat icon a bug?
(just thought I would try . . . :oops: )
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

pemasu

#799 Post by pemasu »

radky

#800 Post by radky »

Lobster wrote:Look forward to 5.2.1 bug fix with added pupcontrol center and other goodies.
Is lack of Transmission (working bit torrent) and Chat icon a bug?
(just thought I would try . . . :oops: )
Hi Lobster,

I’m sure playdayz will address your questions about chat and bit-torrent clients in pristine Lucid. Meanwhile, you may have noticed the following in PupApps:

In Lucid 5.2, the ‘defaultchat’ option in /usr/local/bin calls pidgin, which is not installed in the pristine iso. Consequently, the chat button in PupApps is dead when ‘defaultchat’ is selected in Preferences. However, you can activate the pristine ‘defaultchat’ by installing pidgin from Quickpet, or by editing /usr/local/bin/defaultchat to call another program that is currently installed.

Regards