spup-100 April 2011

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
yarddog

spup-055 built from latest woof

#441 Post by yarddog »

installed desktop setup-0.3.pet. when I try to show only one drive icon or no drive icons receive message that x will be restarted but nothing happens
I restart x manually and nothing changed
Running full install to hard drive with several applications such as wbar, xchat, deadbeef, pupcontrol, xorghigh, roxterm, bibletime installed

any ideas

regards
yarddog

Jim1911

#442 Post by Jim1911 »

playdayz wrote:01micko, I am thinking to post links to your desktop configurator plus radky's control panel in LupuNews. jim1911 said it works with Lucid. I'll check a bit--do you see any problems?

Oops, The minimal desktop icons worked fine, but the single drive icon didn't take--all the drive icons are back. I know you are not specifically supporting lucid here. It was in icewm btw. Same in jwm.

Hey stripe, I *am* taking a rest. Not being the "boss" is very relaxing ;-)
Hi playdayz,

Mick has posted updates that fixes some bugs. I've had no problems with it on my hardware using JWM or Openbox.

Also, consider adding all five of radky's applications to LupuNews, PupControl, PupApps, PupShutdown, PupClockset, and PupSnap. All five work well with Lucid and are a fine addition. I've used most of them daily through luci, lupu, and now 5.2.

Your "rest" is well deserved.

Cheers,
Jim

01micko

#443 Post by 01micko »

playdayz wrote:01micko, I am thinking to post links to your desktop configurator plus radky's control panel in LupuNews. jim1911 said it works with Lucid. I'll check a bit--do you see any problems?

Oops, The minimal desktop icons worked fine, but the single drive icon didn't take--all the drive icons are back. I know you are not specifically supporting lucid here. It was in icewm btw. Same in jwm.

Hey stripe, I *am* taking a rest. Not being the "boss" is very relaxing ;-)
What it is is that lupu has a slightly different puppypin due to the fact that quickpet is on the desktop. What I would need to do is add cases for the current 52x series and the older 5x series because those older pinboards included a chat icon and QP was lower., no problem I can do it. It's is only dependant on rox running as the pinboard so wm shouldn't make a difference. That said, if rox isn't running (say as in xfce4) then I should put in code that stops the app running.

Yarddog.

I'm not sure what happened there, but it is possible that installing after many modifications may have caused a problem. Ideally this app should be in the iso by default to avoid those issues.
I'll see if I can reproduce your errors and see if there's a fix.

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

playdayz

#444 Post by playdayz »

Also, consider adding all five of radky's applications to LupuNews, PupControl, PupApps, PupShutdown, PupClockset, and PupSnap. All five work well with Lucid and are a fine addition. I've used most of them daily through luci, lupu, and now 5.2.
I have got them jim1911. Pupclockset is already in the iso--oh, that might be a new one.

It's coming.

01micko

#445 Post by 01micko »

desksetup-0.4

Ok, bug fixed, should work fine in lupu, spup, any post woof puppy (I think). I only tested in lupu-520 and spup-055 and 052.

There is a tiny bug in eventmanager. The pristine /etc/eventmanager file has double quotes wrapping all the true and false statements, but as soon as you run eventmanager either from menu or right clicking a drive icon those double quotes disappear. I have a workaround in place where if (and only if) the double quotes are detected then they are removed. This does not affect eventmanager at all. It still runs fine.

I also added cases for lupu less than 515 (for 500-511) and for 515 and greater. (luci wont work correctly, sorry)

All other puppies should be covered, but if used in a puplet with a custom pinboard then this will revert to stock puppy pinboard by default, defined by the DISTRO_FILE_PREFIX (see /etc/DISTRO_SPECS for an explanation)

Cheers!
Attachments
desksetup-0.4.pet
(3.98 KiB) Downloaded 686 times

Stripe

#446 Post by Stripe »

Hi all

trying to compile kde 3.5 and its asking for Qt3.3> <4.0 any ideas on a workaround? or do I need to compile an earlier version of qt?

cheers

stripe

stu90

#447 Post by stu90 »

desksetup-0.4:
drive/desk settings working great here 01micko on Lucid 5.2
cheers.

yarddog

spup-055 built from latest woof

#448 Post by yarddog »

that fixed problem for me with drive icons appearing properly - I still have a problem with restarting x - only way is click on menu option to restart then press ctrl-alt-del - possible problem with some of stuff i have added. will erase and do another full install tomorrow and report back .
thanks for help on desktop setup

yarddog

01micko

#449 Post by 01micko »

Hi yarddog

Good the drive icons are fixed but it does seem to appear that something on your system is corrupt. If you have to press ctrl-alt-bkspce just to restart X then something is wrong. I can't see anything obvious with what you have installed but it appears X is not being killed. You list "xorghigh".. is this the one from lupu? If so that will be your issue. We do have a "mesa" package for spup that should do the same thing, available from the setup icon, "Update X Drivers" or the PPM, type "mesa*" in the search box with the spup repo checked. Make sure you uninstall xorg_high first, and pray that that doesn't break anything!

Thanks for reporting

Cheers

Stripe,

I guess you got your answer in your question... kde3 needs qt3.
I'm going to try something foolish and try TazOC's kde4 for LHP in spup and see what's missing.. (EDIT, no I won't, it's 450M and needs mariner sfs.. gives it potential of being over 500M sfs in spup :shock: ) ... I haven't time to muck about with kde3/trinity just yet.

Cheers

Stripe

#450 Post by Stripe »

Hi all

01micko have downloaded trinity but got sidetracked with icewm (lucid), don't know if its spup or my machine but it is flying compared to jwm, am going to try it on the old 800mhz box as well as compiling it in spup.

cheers

stripe

James C

#451 Post by James C »

Desksetup 0.4 is working fine here.Presently running 2 frugals and 1 full install of 055.

Tried Trinity....... tried to load but got some error messages that I don't remember at the moment.Will check again a bit later.

DaveS

#452 Post by DaveS »

Something is not quite right with the mplayer browser performance.
Click on this link and mplayer should load in a fresh page of the browser, fill its cache to around 7% and then begin to play the video as a stream. This is how it works in all my other Puppies. In spup it does not work. I think it tries to download the whole video and then play it, though I ran out of patience waiting for it to complete.
Try the link first in spup, then in Lucid to see what I mean. Sorry for the late heads up :(

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/TEDTalks ... _2010X.mp4
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Jim1911

#453 Post by Jim1911 »

DaveS wrote:Something is not quite right with the mplayer browser performance.
Click on this link and mplayer should load in a fresh page of the browser, fill its cache to around 7% and then begin to play the video as a stream. This is how it works in all my other Puppies. In spup it does not work. I think it tries to download the whole video and then play it, though I ran out of patience waiting for it to complete.
Try the link first in spup, then in Lucid to see what I mean. Sorry for the late heads up :(

I'm in Lucid 5.2 and it tried to download the entire page but stopped when the cache filled up. It may be a page problem, I don't think it has anything to do with spup. What pup has this link worked on?

pemasu

#454 Post by pemasu »

Same with me. Using Snowpuppy-004. It loads cache 100 % full and then stops.

Stripe

#455 Post by Stripe »

Hi all

same hear Dave seamonkey is just trying to download it

I cant get MHwaveedit to work. missing dependency libsamplerate.so.0

cheers

Stripe

DaveS

#456 Post by DaveS »

Jim1911 wrote:What pup has this link worked on?
Working perfectly in latest Lucid, Wary, and Q13. Using either Seamonkey or Firefox.

EDIT: also works in Chrome and Opera as it should, again in Lucid etc.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

yarddog

#457 Post by yarddog »

01micko wrote:Hi yarddog

Good the drive icons are fixed but it does seem to appear that something on your system is corrupt. If you have to press ctrl-alt-bkspce just to restart X then something is wrong. I can't see anything obvious with what you have installed but it appears X is not being killed. You list "xorghigh".. is this the one from lupu? If so that will be your issue. We do have a "mesa" package for spup that should do the same thing, available from the setup icon, "Update X Drivers" or the PPM, type "mesa*" in the search box with the spup repo checked. Make sure you uninstall xorg_high first, and pray that that doesn't break anything!

Thanks for reporting

Cheers
uninstalled xorghigh and installed mesa-7.8.1-spup.pet which did not fix my problem
reformatted partition and did another full install of spup-055.
each time i install a pet i check to make sure i can restart x from the menu - so far so good
if it breaks again, then i will know what caused it
thanks for your help

yarddog

01micko

#458 Post by 01micko »

DaveS wrote:Something is not quite right with the mplayer browser performance.

Thanks for report DaveS

I found the problem... the guy who makes the gecko mediaplayer plugin also makes gnome-mplayer... naturally he makes the plugin dependant on gnome-mplayer :roll:

Install gnome-mplayer from the repo and it works just fine.

Sorry about that.

Stripe, I'll fix MHwaveedit, I'll recompile, I think it can be done disabling libsamplerate. That was one of Iguleder's, I didn't check it... :roll: :oops:

Cheers

James C

#459 Post by James C »

01micko wrote: Install gnome-mplayer from the repo and it works just fine.
The url plays fine in SeaMonkey now.

The video was a lot more interesting than watching it snow outside...... :lol:

DaveS

#460 Post by DaveS »

01micko wrote:
Install gnome-mplayer from the repo and it works just fine.
Done. Fixed. Thanks.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!