logkeys-0.1.0

Miscellaneous tools
seaside

logkeys-0.1.0

#1 Post by seaside »

http://code.google.com/p/logkeys/
What is a keylogger?

Keylogger is a software that quietly monitors keyboard input so as to log any keypresses the user makes. Keyloggers can be used by malicious attackers to sniff out passwords and other sensitive textual information, but often times the user himself (or the corporate branch) wants to monitor his computer unattended (or the employees), reliably storing any unauthorized keyboard activity for later inspection. For example, when you leave your PC just to grab a quick bite from the vending machine, you might want to know if anybody was touching it while you were gone. Or you could use it to monitor your supposedly cheating wife, or young kids while they are surfing the web. You could also use it to obtain statistics of your most pressed keys in order to create your custom Dvorak-style keyboard (I've seen that done). Perhaps you want EVERYTHING you've typed or written in the past months archived for ANY purpose... Uses are limitless.
How to-

You can check the action manually in one terminal by typing in -

# logkeys --start

(You'll get some messages complaining about missing items, which you can ignore)

and in another terminal follow the keys by typing in -

# tail -f /var/log/logkeys.log

I've also created a script named "logkeys-start-stop" which you can put in the Startup directory or in /etc/rc.d/rc.local, if you wish to automatically start at boot.

The script could also be put on the desktop where the first time it's clicked it will start "logkeys" (if it's not running) and the second time it's clicked, it will stop "logkeys".

Below are "logkeys" options and a "logkeys-0.1.0.pet"

Cheers,
s
(If anyone looks at mine, they'll quickly realize just how boring an enterprise like this can be....) :D

Note: Tested on pup431 and probably will work on other versions, as well.
Attachments
logkey-options.png
logfiles options
(9.28 KiB) Downloaded 1882 times

aragon

#2 Post by aragon »

hi seaside,

i just wanted to mention, that there have been discussions in the past about keylogger in puppy and on the forum, for example:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=36827

aragon

seaside

#3 Post by seaside »

aragon wrote:hi seaside,

i just wanted to mention, that there have been discussions in the past about keylogger in puppy and on the forum, for example:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=36827

aragon
aragon,

Yes, this topic often prompts a lively discussion.

Other than the covert operations possible, for some, having a huge (everything I've keyed in over the last month) file, provides another avenue to possibly retrieve a lost word or phrase, not easily found otherwise.

Best to keep this file outside of a pup-save file, though... :D

Now if we could only figure out how to read the log file and subsequently output it ........ we'd have an instant macro recorder.

Thanks for the pointer to those discussions.

Regards,
s
(NOTE: I forgot to add that ALL keystrokes are captured, not just those in terminals)

greengeek

#4 Post by greengeek »

I tried to compile logkeys but it tells me that I have "dumpkeys" missing. Any idea where I can find a suitable dumpkeys (or compiled logkeys) for Slacko 5.6 please?

cheers!

souleau

#5 Post by souleau »

seaside wrote:Best to keep this file outside of a pup-save file, though... :D
Really?! The log file where all your keystrokes are recorded over a xxx time period?!

That means that anyone with physical access to that drive is able to take it and use it.

This utility is like a double-edged knife. If you don't use it carefully, you may cut yourself.