Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 23 Aug 2014, 13:27
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Graphics
Looking for the best upscaling method (MTPaint)
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]  
LinuxFan2010

PostPosted: Sat 01 Jan 2011, 10:09    Post subject:  Looking for the best upscaling method (MTPaint)  

I am in the need of upscaling several pictures from 1920x1080 to something 3k-ish (for a 6'50" x 1'60" panorama gaming calendar).

What is the best upscaling algorithm to do this (in MTPaint)? Or would another tool (like GIMP) give me superior results?
amigo

PostPosted: Sat 01 Jan 2011, 14:02    Post subject:  

What you need is called 'scale2x'. This has been packaged for puppy before, so you should be able to find a pet by searching the forum.
The project is here:
http://scale2x.sourceforge.net/

There is also jpegpixi, though I have not tested it:
http://www.zero-based.org/software/jpegpixi/

scale2x (or scale4x) does a pretty nice job and can be used recursively on an image until you get it large enough. It was designed mostly for icons, though(small images), so it would defintely be worth trying jpegpixi and comparing the results.
wjaguar

PostPosted: Sun 02 Jan 2011, 14:08    Post subject: Re: Looking for the best upscaling method (MTPaint)  

LinuxFan2010 wrote:
I am in the need of upscaling several pictures from 1920x1080 to something 3k-ish (for a 6'50" x 1'60" panorama gaming calendar).
What is the best upscaling algorithm to do this (in MTPaint)? Or would another tool (like GIMP) give me superior results?

Good-quality image enlargement is a very specialized field in image processing, and one which is largely outside my field of interest. For this reason, mtPaint doesn't implement any advanced enlargement algorithms.

Of FOSS programs which do implement such algorithms, SmillaEnlarger worked OK when I tested it some time ago:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/imageenlarger/

-= With best regards, Dmitry Groshev, maintainer of mtPaint =-
LinuxFan2010

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jan 2011, 08:32    Post subject:  

Thanks guys.

I used scale2x (for DOS, since I couldn't find a valid PET for scale2x) and it came out fantastic.

The calendar has already arrived some time ago. Haven't had the time to hang it up yet, but what I have seen looks really good. The resolution of the print is more than decent, the colours are accurate and the paper has a nice shine to it.
GustavoYz

PostPosted: Mon 14 Feb 2011, 02:02    Post subject:  

This seems to be already a solved issue...
Anyway, found a pet on ibiblio, working nice: http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/puppylinux/pet_packages-4/scale2x-2.0.pet
Regards

Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Graphics
Jump to: