Please post any bugs you have found
BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: bug with mtpaint and wary lite

#201 Post by BarryK »

don570 wrote:I have found a bug with mtpaint and wary lite. I didn't
test the full version of Wary.

To see the bug you must go to /root/puppy-reference/vector-images/
and try to open the SVG file there with mtpaint.

You will just be given a warning message about the fle format.

Other versions of Puppy will open this file with any recent version
of mtpaint.

mtpaint documentation says that librsvg needs to installed.
Wary lite does have this though.

Fixed, see my blog:
http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02088
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#202 Post by BarryK »

Sage wrote:
For me it didn't crash, but Edit -> Find only works once. The second and subsequent times that I chose it in the menu, nothing happened. However, Find and Replace continued to work.
I encountered this many years ago when using regedit Find in 'doze. The pointer gets stuck at the last position in the file that it 'found' the request. One had to physically move back to the beginning of the file to search and find again. There were other similar instances in 'doze apps. M$ never fixed such trivia! No idea whether this is relevant or helpful, much less how to fix it.
The weird thing is, I have just tried it again now, and this time Find works properly.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

otropogo

#203 Post by otropogo »

rcrsn51 wrote:
puppy pfix=RAM pfix=nocopy
in order to stop the search for puppy files and save the copy of sfs to RAM.
If you check the examples under F2, the correct syntax should be

Code: Select all

puppy pfix=ram,nocopy
However, I'm not sure this is what you want. The option "pfix=ram" says to ignore any sfs or pupsave files on the hard drive and load entirely from the CD.
Yep, I didn't want to waste time letting Wary search all my partitions for something that wasn't there.
The option "pfix=nocopy" says to NOT copy the sfs file off the CD into memory. Instead the CD is left mounted so Puppy continually reads from it when you run applications.
In this instance, I went by the command description, which says " faster boot, slower running". Since I was configuring the system, speed of running was hardly an issue, I was more interested in finding out quickly whether it would run at all and be worth keeping.

Thanks for the syntax correction. Unfortunately, it removes one of the possible explanations for the failure to save the configuration to CD, since presumably the OS was loaded into RAM (I've got 1GB).
otropogo@gmail.com facebook.com/otropogo

FeodorF

pburn does not work -> Please read the pburn help page

#204 Post by FeodorF »

The help in pburn shows, that verifying is only for closed sessions possible, not for multiple (open).

< Verify >
Pburn can verify in 2 different ways:
1. 'Verify filesystem' (in finish dialog). If burning with temporary storage (off-the-fly), burnt data is checked against data in the temporary storage.
2. If burning an iso image (only closed session), Pburn compares the md5sum of the iso image and the content of the disc. This option also shows up in the finish dialog.

Regards, FeodorF

George_III

alsaconf not working properly

#205 Post by George_III »

Two machines, two (different) stories... to simplify things, let's call them New-PC and Old-PC. A brief summary on each one:

New-PC: bought in 2008, generic mid-tower case, Foxconn 45GMX mobo with Intel 945G chipset (integrated video, sound [Intel-HDA] and ethernet [Realtek RTL8169]), Intel Dual Core 2.0 MHz, Realtek RTL8185 wireless (here is the report from HardInfo).

Old-PC: bought 2nd hand in 2006, Dell Optiplex GX1p, P-III 500 MHz, integrated video (ATI Rage II), integrated sound (Crystal Sound CS4236 ISA), Realtek ethernet card (report from HardInfo).

Short story first: New-PC.
Started Live session (from HD, using Unetbootin), sound and video recognized and configured correctly. Ran Simple Network Setup, wireless network ok (one thing I love about puppies is how easy is to setup my wireless card...). I haven't tried a lot of things yet, but it looks everytyhing's ok. End of story.

And then, the long story: Old-PC (which is the one I downloaded Wary for...).
Again, started Live session (from HD, using Unetbootin), video recognized and configured correctly, no sound. This is no surprise as it is an ISA audio card, I've always (or almost always...) had to run Alsaconf to set it up. Ran Alsaconf, chose CS4236B and Alsaconf hung. In fact, after several attempts, I decided to make this video (using Gtk-RecorMyDesktop, nice app!) and Alsaconf never ended, even though the video took some 25 minutes to encode and I did some surfing meanwhile. In one of my attempts I made a mistake and selected CS4231, and Alsaconf went through all the process and "configured" the card, but running Alsamixer revealed no sound device was present. Then I unloaded that module using

Code: Select all

modprobe -r snd-cs4231
(I also made a video), ran Alsaconf again and, surprise!, it went through with no hassles. I finally got sound working. I surfed and watched some videos, played a couple of songs, everything ok. But happiness only lasted until I powered off the machine. After showing the "Wary Puppy is now shutting down" message briefly, the machine locked completely showing this (had to use Reset or Power button). By the way, I didn't mention, network setup went smoothly, no problems there.
I also tried creating a save file, rebooting and then running Alsaconf, but it behaved the same way. Doing the same cs4231-then-cs4236 procedure above, and rebooting with the save file, loads the cs4236 driver but doesn't keep the volume settings, and the computer continues to lock when shooting down or rebooting.

I hope this info can help to solve the problem.

otropogo

More Wary5 LiveCD issues save issues

#206 Post by otropogo »

I retried my Wary5 burn, this time on a DVD-RW. My wish to retry the multisession mode was frustrated this time by burniso2cd's unexpected failure to present any multisession choice - it went directly to burn.

It did verify the burn, however.

I rebooted, reconfigured xorg, with considerable difficulty, much more than I've ever had with any other linux LiveCD. I then installed xfprot, and rebooted.

The screen gave me the option to Save to CD (even though I had no CD, and the DVD was, presumably, not multisession) but, being of a perversely curious bent, I clicked on it to see what would happen. Maybe Wary knew something I didn't know...

But no, what I got was a black screen with the text:

login [510]:root login on tty1

I then tried shutdown, but that wasn;'t recognized, so I settled for "halt".

It seems Wary gives nonsensical choices and doesn't know how to recover if they are selected.

OK, at least the LiveDV wasn't hosed, and I rebooted., spent another 15-20 minutes wrestlng with xorgwizard, even though I now new that the Intel driver was the better one (although I didn't get confirmation of that until I upgraded).

After several more aborts and refresh tweaks, I finally settled for 1600x1200 at 70Khx, 60 Hz. The number for the colour bits got lost somewhere along the way, and I don't know how to test for that. I only know that I asked for "24 bit color".

I used the Video upgrade wizard to add GLX and DRI, and it told me the Intel driver was the best one (and that my video chip was a model 8265G IGC) but not how to change colour density or resolution.

I installed XFprot again (with a file browser so inferior to the one I have in 4.3.1, that one has to type in paths manually),

Then tried the packet manager. When I saw the Gimp had a couple of large dependencies, I decided to try the URL checker, but it didn't give the verification it said to look for, so I downloaded all my packages to disk instead. It's frustrating that they automatically download to root, without any option to put them on either of the partitions I had mounted.

I installed Gimp but am frustrated by the lack of either the standalone or Gimp plug-in version of UFRAW (which I have on 4.3.1). Without that, I can't view my best image files.

I also installed Firefox and xpdf, then looked for information on the save procedure. All I could find was in the "resize personal storage file" function. This reinforced my suspicion that there is actually no support for save to CD or DVD, despite the button on the save screen) -

"at first shut down you are asked where you want to save your files/data/settings...can be any FAT, NTFS or linux partition or any plugin drive (USB flash...)"

There's no mention of CD or DVD saves. Why am I surprised though? Booting from ZIP drives was kept on the installation Wizard menu for years, and widely reported in the press and online for years without it ever having been a reality. This, after all, is something that actually did work - it should be good for another decade at least....

Well, at least I didn't get burned on the save the third time (well, only a little).

I'd decided to save the warysave file to a USB flash card, and cleared a suitable 500MB SD card for the purpose, then followed the Save to File instructions.

However, after I'd selected the medium and done the save, and been invited to use all of the available space for my 3fs file, ONLY THEN, does Wary suggest that I also save the Wary sfs file to media, with the following gottcha - it will be saved to the "same drive" (does this meant physical drive, or partition?), as the 3fs save file.

Well, all I could do is kick myself for not having chosen the prior suggestion to use all of the available space on the flash card, because then I would have had a chance to see the miracle of putting another 120MB where no space remains. Why would the sfs file need to be on the same "drive" as the 2sf/3fs anyway?

So that's my sad story, except for having to opt for a plain gray wallpaper for the first time with Puppy, because all the other offerings are beyond the pale (I toyed with the orange sunset, but figured it would drive me insane in a few hours).

So - does anyone know how I can at least get the UFRAW plugin for Gimp installed on Wary? Otherwise, I'm afraid this has all been a waste of time for me.

mave

#207 Post by mave »

Terryphi wrote:
You probably need to add or change some symlinks. In Wary5 for Chromium I have these:

/lib/libc.so.6 is a symlink to /lib/libc-2.10.1.so
/lib/libz.so.1 is a symlink to /lib/libz.so.1.2.3
/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6 is a symlink to /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6.0.10

If you do not have the necessary libraries you can download them from http://sites.google.com/site/quirkyuk/quirky-tweaks .
Yes, these symlinks are here and fine! Chromium ist running. BUT Iron tells again:
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/system/iron-linux/chrome: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.11' not found (required by /initrd/mnt/dev_save/system/iron-linux/chrome)
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/system/iron-linux/chrome: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.11' not found (required by /initrd/mnt/dev_save/system/iron-linux/chrome)
Seems the programmer changes the source and it requires newer libs...

mave

otropogo

Wary's Firefox removes Seamonkey and takes its icon

#208 Post by otropogo »

Have just discovered that I can no longer access Seamonkey 1.02, which came as the default browser with Wary5.

Now, when I click on the globe icon, instead of Seamonkey, Firefox opens.

When I look in the apps menu, both Firefox and Seamonkey Web Browser have tabs under INTERNET, but both of them open Firefox..

I'm also having a problem with Firefox not remembering my passwords. It remembers my username when I type in the first letter on the Murga login field, but not the password. Nor does it offer me an opportunity to "remember" it (again).

Billtoo

Wary Puppy 5.0-final feedback

#209 Post by Billtoo »

I made a pet of Dillo-2.2, a small web browser and also xemeraldia, a small falling blocks game.
Attachments
xemeraldia-0.4.3-i686.pet
(17.15 KiB) Downloaded 469 times
Last edited by Billtoo on Mon 17 Jan 2011, 04:03, edited 1 time in total.

technosaurus

Re: Wary's Firefox removes Seamonkey and takes its icon

#210 Post by technosaurus »

otropogo wrote:Have just discovered that I can no longer access Seamonkey 1.02, which came as the default browser with Wary5.

When I look in the apps menu, both Firefox and Seamonkey Web Browser have tabs under INTERNET, but both of them open Firefox..

I'm also having a problem with Firefox not remembering my passwords. It remembers my username when I type in the first letter on the Murga login field, but not the password. Nor does it offer me an opportunity to "remember" it (again).
Seamonkey-1.0.2 was released in June 2006 before wary was even started - what distro/os/time machine are you using? (must be one of Lobster's time travel puplets)

You installed a pet that was set up to become the default browser and it worked as expected, unfortunately both firefox and seamonkey are mozilla products and use the same script to start
currently seamonkey is a symlink to mozilla script (an so is firefox)
this could be solved by renaming mozilla in seamonkey package to seamonkey and to firefox in firefox (and reverse the symlink)

This would still make firefox your defaultbrowser if you installed it and the desktop icons would still open firefox but I feel the this is the desired behavior - otherwise why bother installing firefox

The other option would be to not set default apps in any pets and config those separately.
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

technosaurus

#211 Post by technosaurus »

I'm not sure if this is a bug report or more likely just acknowledgement of my ignorance of dynamic device setup.

The /dev/.udev/db directory _appears_ to be pre-populated with broken symlinks

I don't know whether they are supposed to be this way but it all still works, as adding a usb flash drive added the appropriate entries:
block:sdb
block:sdb1
usb_device:usbdev2.2
usb:2-1
(all with apparently broken symlinks and a working flash drive)

Not a bug - just a little disconcerting. Now I see further why people complain about udev being finicky.... if only mdev could handle more nuances
Attachments
udev.png
(20.52 KiB) Downloaded 3108 times
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

otropogo

#212 Post by otropogo »

technosaurus wrote:
otropogo wrote:Have just discovered that I can no longer access Seamonkey 1.02, which came as the default browser with Wary5.

Seamonkey-1.0.2 was released in June 2006 before wary was even started - what distro/os/time machine are you using? (must be one of Lobster's time travel puplets)

Thanks for the irrelevant NITPICK. Yes I got the Seamonkey version wrong.

Nevertheless, I downloaded Wary_500.iso using the links in Barry's blog, and that's what I'm reporting on. Clicking on the globe icon brought up Seamonkey , which I recognized immediately, since I've been running it for many months on Puppy 4.3.1.

I downloaded the Firefox 3.6.9 pet and dependencies using Wary5's pet manager.
You installed a pet that was set up to become the default browser and it worked as expected, unfortunately both firefox and seamonkey are mozilla products and use the same script to start
That may be, but it's certainly a bug in my book. There was certainly nothing to warn me that installing the Firefox pet would remove Seamonkey. I've downloaded Firefox pets to Puppy previously, and Seamonkey continued to run when I called it from the Internet menu.

And if it's a design choice and not just a stupid mistake, why is the Seamonkey Web Browser tab still sitting in my INTERNET MENU, alongside the Firefox tab, with both of them calling the same app?

thanks for all the technical advice, but my understanding has always been that Puppy is a simple turnkey OS, that doesn't require major technical intervention from the user to run or configure mainstream apps, like browsers.

When I install an app, I don't expect it to replace any and every prexisting app for the same function by default. I expect it to at least ask. And I certainly don't expect it to disable access to competing apps without my consent. The fact that Seamonkey is also a Mozilla browser no excuse. It's even conceivable I might want to use different versions of Firefox interchangeably.

I find your response churlish.

ttuuxxx

Re: More Wary5 LiveCD issues save issues

#213 Post by ttuuxxx »

otropogo wrote: So - does anyone know how I can at least get the UFRAW plugin for Gimp installed on Wary? Otherwise, I'm afraid this has all been a waste of time for me.
Ok as Ufraw plugin goes only a few people would actually make a package for that, I think I did when series 3 came out many moons ago.
I don't think you need the Script FU python to be working, If Script FU isn't needed then yes its possible, If not then a complete recompile of gimp would have to be made with python included, I only made a gimp with python once before for another well talented puppy artist, on series 4, If you can read-up and see if FU is needed or not would be a great start and next time I bootup Wary I'll compile it, it takes about 5-7 other libraries to get that plugin working
like dcdraw, exiv2, lensfun, ufraw, cfitsio etc.
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

ttuuxxx

#214 Post by ttuuxxx »

otropogo wrote:
And if it's a design choice and not just a stupid mistake, why is the Seamonkey Web Browser tab still sitting in my INTERNET MENU, alongside the Firefox tab, with both of them calling the same app?

I find your response churlish.
hmm I'm not using Wary right now but if you install this fix and make sure that Firefox is located in usr/lib/firefox if it has a number on it then just right click on the folder with the number and choose systemlink and call it firefox.
ttuuxxx
ps also maybe delete
/root/.mozilla/firefox <-- Hidden folder in root, press the eye at the top of rox to reveal it. just in case you already had a different version installed/uninstalled and its keeping the older configs that will case you stability issues.
Attachments
seamonkey-fix-1.pet
(1.14 KiB) Downloaded 401 times
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

technosaurus

#215 Post by technosaurus »

otropogo wrote:I find your response churlish.
hmm... I was _trying_ to be civil despite the condescending attitude in your string of almost incoherent "bug reports"

To report a bug that you actually _want_ to get fixed (not just to gripe) try this format at a minimum
  • A. Distro-version, software-version (and where you got it)

B. What steps will reproduce the problem?

C. What is the expected output? What do you see instead?

D. <Please use labels, text and images to provide additional information here>
further reading
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html
http://www.softwaretestinghelp.com/how- ... ug-report/ <<pay attention to #6 in the bonus section

mave

#216 Post by mave »

People having Chromium running under Wary 5: did you try printing?

This is what I get:
[15794:15794:17996167829:ERROR:chrome/browser/browser_main.cc(833)] Gtk: gtkwidget.c:2913: container class `(null)' has no child property named `expand'
[15794:15794:17996167891:ERROR:chrome/browser/browser_main.cc(833)] Gtk: gtkwidget.c:2913: container class `(null)' has no child property named `fill'
[15794:15794:17996167915:ERROR:chrome/browser/browser_main.cc(833)] Gtk: gtkwidget.c:2913: container class `(null)' has no child property named `padding'
[15794:15794:17996167938:ERROR:chrome/browser/browser_main.cc(833)] Gtk: gtkwidget.c:2913: container class `(null)' has no child property named `pack-type'
[15794:15794:17996167960:ERROR:chrome/browser/browser_main.cc(833)] Gtk: gtkwidget.c:2913: container class `(null)' has no child property named `position'
Segmentation fault
Maybe Wary 5 is not able running correctly Chromium or Iron by its architecture?

mave

_Mark_

Geany & PPM

#217 Post by _Mark_ »

I installed Geany with PPM and have now decided to remove and now the weird part PPM confirms successfully removed but is still there and working fine
I tried installing and removing again but still the same.

Does PPM produce any logs, to investigate further?

This is on Wary 5 frugal install on a USBHD

Terryphi

#218 Post by Terryphi »

mave wrote:People having Chromium running under Wary 5: did you try printing?

This is what I get:
[15794:15794:17996167829:ERROR:chrome/browser/browser_main.cc(833)] Gtk: gtkwidget.c:2913: container class `(null)' has no child property named `expand'
[15794:15794:17996167891:ERROR:chrome/browser/browser_main.cc(833)] Gtk: gtkwidget.c:2913: container class `(null)' has no child property named `fill'
[15794:15794:17996167915:ERROR:chrome/browser/browser_main.cc(833)] Gtk: gtkwidget.c:2913: container class `(null)' has no child property named `padding'
[15794:15794:17996167938:ERROR:chrome/browser/browser_main.cc(833)] Gtk: gtkwidget.c:2913: container class `(null)' has no child property named `pack-type'
[15794:15794:17996167960:ERROR:chrome/browser/browser_main.cc(833)] Gtk: gtkwidget.c:2913: container class `(null)' has no child property named `position'
Segmentation fault
Maybe Wary 5 is not able running correctly Chromium or Iron by its architecture?

mave
I do not normally print from browsers but I have just tested Chromium 10 on Wary5 and confirm that it does not print for me either. The print job does not arrive at CUPS. I can print from other programs so this is definitely a Chromium bug.

rcrsn51

#219 Post by rcrsn51 »

The Chrome printing problem was discussed in Puppeee here. and jemimah has a patch. But I would exercise extreme caution in installing the patch in Wary.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#220 Post by Béèm »

technosaurus wrote:I'm not sure if this is a bug report or more likely just acknowledgement of my ignorance of dynamic device setup.

The /dev/.udev/db directory _appears_ to be pre-populated with broken symlinks

I don't know whether they are supposed to be this way but it all still works, as adding a usb flash drive added the appropriate entries:
block:sdb
block:sdb1
usb_device:usbdev2.2
usb:2-1
(all with apparently broken symlinks and a working flash drive)

Not a bug - just a little disconcerting. Now I see further why people complain about udev being finicky.... if only mdev could handle more nuances
I see the same thing in 5.2.0
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]