Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 02 Sep 2014, 11:20
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Wary Puppy 5.0-final feedback
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 14 of 21 [308 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, ..., 19, 20, 21 Next
ravensrest

PostPosted: Sat 15 Jan 2011, 12:53    Post subject: Re: urxvt too small - not readable  

Don922, in ~/.jwmrc you should find a line like this:

Quote:
<Program label="MP console editor" icon="mp16.xpm">rxvt -geometry 80x25 -e mp</Program>

Change the "geometry" setting to something else. Also, if starting from the desktop icon, pass it a parameter like "-g 80x32" or whatever geometry you want. You can also change some parameters like font style, color, etc in ~/.Xdefaults or from the command line. Type "Urxvt -h" to discover the installed options and resources. Go online and Google "Urxvt commands".
BS

scsijon wrote:
don922 wrote:
Frugal install of Wary lite using the Lin'N'Win method on a PII 350. Internet and screen resolution all correct and working on initial boot.

The Problem:
The screen of urxvt is very small about 150mm x 90mm the lettering is less than 3mm - just too small for my old eyes. I can't read this.

Can this be fixed? This really kills Wary for me.

from an earler ?wary fix:

Try adding at the end of your menu.lst or whatever equivalent startline

video=640x480

eg with grub the line becomes:

kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1 pmedia=atahd video=640x480

fixed my problem

regards
scsijon
don570

PostPosted: Sat 15 Jan 2011, 14:47    Post subject: some observations on ptiming  

wrong thread
Last edited by don570 on Sat 15 Jan 2011, 15:33; edited 1 time in total
otropogo

PostPosted: Sat 15 Jan 2011, 15:11    Post subject: Wary5 Xorg Intel setup issues
Subject description: Xorg probe useless with Intel MB video

Have just burned Wary full version to CD and booted it for the first time (using it now).

I've run into a few issues:

1. not enough time to hit F2

2. second boot, after getting to F2 in time, I tried to boot without loading to SFS to RAM using this syntax:

puppy pfix=RAM pfix=nocopy

in order to stop the search for puppy files and save the copy of sfs to RAM.

The first command worked, the second - maybe not. The display read "copying to RAM"

Is my syntax wrong, is the command correct, but not working, or is everything working, but the "copying.." message is displaying erroneously?

Now for the important problem:

I'm running an Intel Motherboard. I can't find the model number right now, but it uses a 2.5Ghz Celeron cpu and has a 400Mhz FSB and embedded video (I do know it's pre-PCI-Express).

I assumed it would use an Intel video driver, so I told the xorg wizard to try i810, and it responded by removing the Intel driver. After that started a game of musical drivers.

The essential problem - the wizard doesn't know which driver to use, and when trying drivers, can't tell what either the chip or the monitor can handle (the Monitor, admittedly, is a bit difficult, being a converted Sun Microsystems 20" CRT). Puppy 4.3.1's wizard has some difficulties with this combo too, but handles them much better.

Whether using the Intel or the i810 driver, the Wary wizard presents a full complement of resolutions and colour bits, up to 1600x1200x24, and pronounces every one of them "OK for Monitor, OK for video card".

NOT!

So basically, one has to try each combination to find out what will work. The problem then is that, when one combo is aborted with CTL-ALT-BACKSPACE, the wizard removes the driver in use and replaces it with the other one, and you start all over. So you end up going back and forth between the i810 and the Intel driver (oh, there's also a mention at some point of a "newer driver", but I failed to discover how one accesses that one, much less whether it would work).

Eventually, I found a combination that worked under the i810 driver (1280x1024x24), but had to tweak the dsiplay rates downward to 64 Horizontal and 60 refresh (which seems a mite slow - at least I'm pretty sure I get faster rate reports from Puppy 4.3.1).

But the bottom line is, that after all this monkeying, I still don't know whether I'm running the best driver available under Wary. I suspect not.

Just to say something positive:

I find Mplayer much superior to Gxine, at least after a short comparison.

I also appreciate that a couple of useless steps have been cut out of the firewall automatic setup.

Remains to be seen whether I can get my very few essential apps running under Wary (UFRAW, XFPROT, Chinese Character display....)

rcrsn51

PostPosted: Sat 15 Jan 2011, 15:31    Post subject:  

Quote:

If you check the examples under F2, the correct syntax should be
Code:
puppy pfix=ram,nocopy

However, I'm not sure this is what you want. The option "pfix=ram" says to ignore any sfs or pupsave files on the hard drive and load entirely from the CD. The option "pfix=nocopy" says to NOT copy the sfs file off the CD into memory. Instead the CD is left mounted so Puppy continually reads from it when you run applications.
otropogo

PostPosted: Sat 15 Jan 2011, 15:51    Post subject: Wary_500 corrupts multisession CD during save
Subject description: Attempt to save to CD prevents Wary5 LiveCD from booting

I burned Wary5 to a multisession CD. As reported in the Pburn thread, I successfully did a complete disk blank with pburn 3.3.1, then burned the iso with burniso2cd, and successfully verified it, before booting up.

When I ended my session by using the shut down option, I got an unfamiliar save screen (blue, instead of the regular grey, IIRC), and selected Save to CD.

That evoked a blue screen with IIRC large black lettering, telling that if the save was delayed unduly, I should make sure the tray was closed and hit enter.

This line repeated several times before I finally hit enter. The line keep rewriting.

Meanwhile, the tray continued closed, and the disk light was blinking furiously.

Finally, I gave up and hit CTL-ALT-DEL, and the display turned black and announced "Puppy is shutting down".

This was followed by the familiar grey save screen, and again I selected "Save to CD", which resulted in a black terminal screen on which I could type.

Obviously, the save function wasn't working (since no prompt for file size appeared), so I did a hard reset.

The disk is no longer bootable.

In restrospect, I'm wondering whether the issue is because the sfs file wasn't written to RAM, and Puppy was unable to read from AND write to the CD (I do have a swap file on one of the hard drives which Puppy 4.3.1 manages to find, but there's in indication Wary noticed it).

Or maybe Wary doesn't know how to write to a CD-RW?

Oh, well, I should be used to this sort of mess by now after all these Puppy years. And I should have known better than to get sucked into using the multisession option just because Flash swears by it.

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Sat 15 Jan 2011, 18:33    Post subject: Re: bug with mtpaint and wary lite  

don570 wrote:
I have found a bug with mtpaint and wary lite. I didn't
test the full version of Wary.

To see the bug you must go to /root/puppy-reference/vector-images/
and try to open the SVG file there with mtpaint.

You will just be given a warning message about the fle format.

Other versions of Puppy will open this file with any recent version
of mtpaint.

mtpaint documentation says that librsvg needs to installed.
Wary lite does have this though.

Thanks for reporting that.

Fixed, see my blog:
http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02088

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Sat 15 Jan 2011, 19:12    Post subject:  

Sage wrote:
Quote:
For me it didn't crash, but Edit -> Find only works once. The second and subsequent times that I chose it in the menu, nothing happened. However, Find and Replace continued to work.

I encountered this many years ago when using regedit Find in 'doze. The pointer gets stuck at the last position in the file that it 'found' the request. One had to physically move back to the beginning of the file to search and find again. There were other similar instances in 'doze apps. M$ never fixed such trivia! No idea whether this is relevant or helpful, much less how to fix it.

The weird thing is, I have just tried it again now, and this time Find works properly.

otropogo

PostPosted: Sat 15 Jan 2011, 19:30    Post subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
Quote:

If you check the examples under F2, the correct syntax should be
Code:
puppy pfix=ram,nocopy

However, I'm not sure this is what you want. The option "pfix=ram" says to ignore any sfs or pupsave files on the hard drive and load entirely from the CD.

Yep, I didn't want to waste time letting Wary search all my partitions for something that wasn't there.

Quote:
The option "pfix=nocopy" says to NOT copy the sfs file off the CD into memory. Instead the CD is left mounted so Puppy continually reads from it when you run applications.

In this instance, I went by the command description, which says " faster boot, slower running". Since I was configuring the system, speed of running was hardly an issue, I was more interested in finding out quickly whether it would run at all and be worth keeping.

Thanks for the syntax correction. Unfortunately, it removes one of the possible explanations for the failure to save the configuration to CD, since presumably the OS was loaded into RAM (I've got 1GB).

FeodorF

PostPosted: Sat 15 Jan 2011, 22:16    Post subject: pburn does not work -> Please read the pburn help page
Subject description: < Verify > Pburn can verify in 2 different ways: 1. 'Verify filesystem' (in finish dialog). If burni

The help in pburn shows, that verifying is only for closed sessions possible, not for multiple (open).

< Verify >
Pburn can verify in 2 different ways:
1. 'Verify filesystem' (in finish dialog). If burning with temporary storage (off-the-fly), burnt data is checked against data in the temporary storage.
2. If burning an iso image (only closed session), Pburn compares the md5sum of the iso image and the content of the disc. This option also shows up in the finish dialog.

Regards, FeodorF
George_III

PostPosted: Sat 15 Jan 2011, 23:43    Post subject: alsaconf not working properly
Subject description: alsaconf cannot configure a CS4236 ISA sound card

Two machines, two (different) stories... to simplify things, let's call them New-PC and Old-PC. A brief summary on each one:

New-PC: bought in 2008, generic mid-tower case, Foxconn 45GMX mobo with Intel 945G chipset (integrated video, sound [Intel-HDA] and ethernet [Realtek RTL8169]), Intel Dual Core 2.0 MHz, Realtek RTL8185 wireless (here is the report from HardInfo).

Old-PC: bought 2nd hand in 2006, Dell Optiplex GX1p, P-III 500 MHz, integrated video (ATI Rage II), integrated sound (Crystal Sound CS4236 ISA), Realtek ethernet card (report from HardInfo).

Short story first: New-PC.
Started Live session (from HD, using Unetbootin), sound and video recognized and configured correctly. Ran Simple Network Setup, wireless network ok (one thing I love about puppies is how easy is to setup my wireless card...). I haven't tried a lot of things yet, but it looks everytyhing's ok. End of story.

And then, the long story: Old-PC (which is the one I downloaded Wary for...).
Again, started Live session (from HD, using Unetbootin), video recognized and configured correctly, no sound. This is no surprise as it is an ISA audio card, I've always (or almost always...) had to run Alsaconf to set it up. Ran Alsaconf, chose CS4236B and Alsaconf hung. In fact, after several attempts, I decided to make this video (using Gtk-RecorMyDesktop, nice app!) and Alsaconf never ended, even though the video took some 25 minutes to encode and I did some surfing meanwhile. In one of my attempts I made a mistake and selected CS4231, and Alsaconf went through all the process and "configured" the card, but running Alsamixer revealed no sound device was present. Then I unloaded that module using
Code:
modprobe -r snd-cs4231
(I also made a video), ran Alsaconf again and, surprise!, it went through with no hassles. I finally got sound working. I surfed and watched some videos, played a couple of songs, everything ok. But happiness only lasted until I powered off the machine. After showing the "Wary Puppy is now shutting down" message briefly, the machine locked completely showing this (had to use Reset or Power button). By the way, I didn't mention, network setup went smoothly, no problems there.
I also tried creating a save file, rebooting and then running Alsaconf, but it behaved the same way. Doing the same cs4231-then-cs4236 procedure above, and rebooting with the save file, loads the cs4236 driver but doesn't keep the volume settings, and the computer continues to lock when shooting down or rebooting.

I hope this info can help to solve the problem.
otropogo

PostPosted: Sun 16 Jan 2011, 02:02    Post subject: More Wary5 LiveCD issues save issues
Subject description: shutdown offers invalid option, then crashes, provides incomplete file save info

I retried my Wary5 burn, this time on a DVD-RW. My wish to retry the multisession mode was frustrated this time by burniso2cd's unexpected failure to present any multisession choice - it went directly to burn.

It did verify the burn, however.

I rebooted, reconfigured xorg, with considerable difficulty, much more than I've ever had with any other linux LiveCD. I then installed xfprot, and rebooted.

The screen gave me the option to Save to CD (even though I had no CD, and the DVD was, presumably, not multisession) but, being of a perversely curious bent, I clicked on it to see what would happen. Maybe Wary knew something I didn't know...

But no, what I got was a black screen with the text:

login [510]:root login on tty1

I then tried shutdown, but that wasn;'t recognized, so I settled for "halt".

It seems Wary gives nonsensical choices and doesn't know how to recover if they are selected.

OK, at least the LiveDV wasn't hosed, and I rebooted., spent another 15-20 minutes wrestlng with xorgwizard, even though I now new that the Intel driver was the better one (although I didn't get confirmation of that until I upgraded).

After several more aborts and refresh tweaks, I finally settled for 1600x1200 at 70Khx, 60 Hz. The number for the colour bits got lost somewhere along the way, and I don't know how to test for that. I only know that I asked for "24 bit color".

I used the Video upgrade wizard to add GLX and DRI, and it told me the Intel driver was the best one (and that my video chip was a model 8265G IGC) but not how to change colour density or resolution.

I installed XFprot again (with a file browser so inferior to the one I have in 4.3.1, that one has to type in paths manually),

Then tried the packet manager. When I saw the Gimp had a couple of large dependencies, I decided to try the URL checker, but it didn't give the verification it said to look for, so I downloaded all my packages to disk instead. It's frustrating that they automatically download to root, without any option to put them on either of the partitions I had mounted.

I installed Gimp but am frustrated by the lack of either the standalone or Gimp plug-in version of UFRAW (which I have on 4.3.1). Without that, I can't view my best image files.

I also installed Firefox and xpdf, then looked for information on the save procedure. All I could find was in the "resize personal storage file" function. This reinforced my suspicion that there is actually no support for save to CD or DVD, despite the button on the save screen) -

"at first shut down you are asked where you want to save your files/data/settings...can be any FAT, NTFS or linux partition or any plugin drive (USB flash...)"

There's no mention of CD or DVD saves. Why am I surprised though? Booting from ZIP drives was kept on the installation Wizard menu for years, and widely reported in the press and online for years without it ever having been a reality. This, after all, is something that actually did work - it should be good for another decade at least....

Well, at least I didn't get burned on the save the third time (well, only a little).

I'd decided to save the warysave file to a USB flash card, and cleared a suitable 500MB SD card for the purpose, then followed the Save to File instructions.

However, after I'd selected the medium and done the save, and been invited to use all of the available space for my 3fs file, ONLY THEN, does Wary suggest that I also save the Wary sfs file to media, with the following gottcha - it will be saved to the "same drive" (does this meant physical drive, or partition?), as the 3fs save file.

Well, all I could do is kick myself for not having chosen the prior suggestion to use all of the available space on the flash card, because then I would have had a chance to see the miracle of putting another 120MB where no space remains. Why would the sfs file need to be on the same "drive" as the 2sf/3fs anyway?

So that's my sad story, except for having to opt for a plain gray wallpaper for the first time with Puppy, because all the other offerings are beyond the pale (I toyed with the orange sunset, but figured it would drive me insane in a few hours).

So - does anyone know how I can at least get the UFRAW plugin for Gimp installed on Wary? Otherwise, I'm afraid this has all been a waste of time for me.

mave

PostPosted: Sun 16 Jan 2011, 04:41    Post subject:  

Terryphi wrote:

Quote:
You probably need to add or change some symlinks. In Wary5 for Chromium I have these:

/lib/libc.so.6 is a symlink to /lib/libc-2.10.1.so
/lib/libz.so.1 is a symlink to /lib/libz.so.1.2.3
/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6 is a symlink to /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6.0.10

If you do not have the necessary libraries you can download them from http://sites.google.com/site/quirkyuk/quirky-tweaks .

Yes, these symlinks are here and fine! Chromium ist running. BUT Iron tells again:
Quote:
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/system/iron-linux/chrome: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.11' not found (required by /initrd/mnt/dev_save/system/iron-linux/chrome)
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/system/iron-linux/chrome: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.11' not found (required by /initrd/mnt/dev_save/system/iron-linux/chrome)

Seems the programmer changes the source and it requires newer libs...

mave
otropogo

PostPosted: Sun 16 Jan 2011, 20:40    Post subject: Wary's Firefox removes Seamonkey and takes its icon
Subject description: issues with Firefox 3.6.9 for Wary's installation defaults

Have just discovered that I can no longer access Seamonkey 1.02, which came as the default browser with Wary5.

Now, when I click on the globe icon, instead of Seamonkey, Firefox opens.

When I look in the apps menu, both Firefox and Seamonkey Web Browser have tabs under INTERNET, but both of them open Firefox..

I'm also having a problem with Firefox not remembering my passwords. It remembers my username when I type in the first letter on the Murga login field, but not the password. Nor does it offer me an opportunity to "remember" it (again).

Billtoo

PostPosted: Sun 16 Jan 2011, 21:29    Post subject: Wary Puppy 5.0-final feedback
Subject description: small browser

I made a pet of Dillo-2.2, a small web browser and also xemeraldia, a small falling blocks game.
2011-01-16_23-00-35-thumb.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   33.53 KB
 Viewed   1718 Time(s)

2011-01-16_23-00-35-thumb.jpg

dillo-2.2-i686.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  dillo-2.2-i686.pet 
Filesize  698.07 KB 
Downloaded  373 Time(s) 
xemeraldia-0.4.3-i686.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  xemeraldia-0.4.3-i686.pet 
Filesize  17.15 KB 
Downloaded  322 Time(s) 

Last edited by Billtoo on Mon 17 Jan 2011, 00:03; edited 1 time in total
technosaurus

PostPosted: Sun 16 Jan 2011, 22:36    Post subject: Re: Wary's Firefox removes Seamonkey and takes its icon
Subject description: issues with Firefox 3.6.9 for Wary's installation defaults

otropogo wrote:
Have just discovered that I can no longer access Seamonkey 1.02, which came as the default browser with Wary5.

Now, when I click on the globe icon, instead of Seamonkey, Firefox opens.

When I look in the apps menu, both Firefox and Seamonkey Web Browser have tabs under INTERNET, but both of them open Firefox..

I'm also having a problem with Firefox not remembering my passwords. It remembers my username when I type in the first letter on the Murga login field, but not the password. Nor does it offer me an opportunity to "remember" it (again).

Seamonkey-1.0.2 was released in June 2006 before wary was even started - what distro/os/time machine are you using? (must be one of Lobster's time travel puplets)

You installed a pet that was set up to become the default browser and it worked as expected, unfortunately both firefox and seamonkey are mozilla products and use the same script to start
currently seamonkey is a symlink to mozilla script (an so is firefox)
this could be solved by renaming mozilla in seamonkey package to seamonkey and to firefox in firefox (and reverse the symlink)

This would still make firefox your defaultbrowser if you installed it and the desktop icons would still open firefox but I feel the this is the desired behavior - otherwise why bother installing firefox

The other option would be to not set default apps in any pets and config those separately.

Page 14 of 21 [308 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, ..., 19, 20, 21 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Jump to: