pTiming 1.0.3-1 - Event timer system

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
zigbert

pTiming 1.0.3-1 - Event timer system

#1 Post by zigbert »

pTiming - Event timer system
Sigmund Berglund

Are you looking for a straight forward stopwatch - here it is.
Are you looking for a more sophisticated timer - here it is.
To get a brief intro how to use this simple event timer, please see next post.

Download
username: puppy
password: linux

pTiming-1.0.3-1 (15 kb)

Language support
Last edited by zigbert on Tue 15 Nov 2016, 21:55, edited 20 times in total.

zigbert

#2 Post by zigbert »

Ok, so you want to use pTiming to more than just a ordinary stopwatch.

The main window - timestamp manager is rather useless before the actual competition. Now, we have to registrate some participants. Be aware that this can be done weeks before the event. - And it can be done now and then, when the registrations comes to your hands.

Now, simply add your participants. pTiming will add a ID (startnumber) and start-time based on the delay value (default is 30 sec). If you want to edit any added participant, just click on it in the list, and you get editable options.

At the end all participants might be shuffled to a complete start list. See button at bottom. You might not understand the reason why adding start time and id, when later shuffle. The reason is simply that you CAN manually set start times. This is handy in a pursuit. Please remember to save your changes for backup reasons.

This simple startlist-generator randomize participants and groups the classes. You can manually change the first starttime in every class. When you are satisfied with the startlist, you should distribute it to the organizations. First you should sort list by organization. For electronic distribution, just attach the pTiming *.csv file. This is a common format, and supported by 'all' spreadsheets. For printing, exported it, and gnumeric (default spreadsheet) will open with your list. Make your layout, and print. To get a startlist for the actual event, sort by starttime

Now, when startlist is ready, competition can start.
Let's take a look at the main module - the Timer. This includes the timestamp manager (main window) and the timer configuration box.

First look at the timer configuration box. This box sets the behavior of the timer.
- As you see, you can choose whether use hundredths or not. This will not affect the visual clock. This will never show hundredths. But the internal clock calculates hundredths if wanted. You can change this setting without resetting timer.
- The timer starts immediately after user starts pTiming. This is convenient for simple use, but not when setting pTiming up for an event. The countdown utility can be set to whatever time before the actual competition begins. This makes it also easy to synchronize several pc that should work together during the competition.
- pTiming may beep at every defined start-time. You can change this setting without resetting timer.

During the first stage of the competition, pTiming acts like a countdown clock and a startclock. The participants will benefit of seeing the time status, so you should switch to 'fullscreen' (else you got a unique pc for that.)

The participants is all started, and we go back to the main window.

Press the big button to store a timestamp for a participant. If an ID (start number) is set in the black field at left, pTiming will search through the startlist for more info about the human behind the ID. If more than one comes at the same time, this might be hard. Forget the ID, and edit the list afterwards. If you want to track laptimes, go ahead adding timestamps.

When everyone is done with the race, we want a result-list. Export list to speadsheet, and it will order results in classes. Lap info will also be shown.

seaside

#3 Post by seaside »

zigbert,

Wow, what a fabulous and well thought out program.

Thanks,
s

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

I just installed Ptimer and gave the simple alarm timer a quick try. I set it to alarm after a minute. It counted down for about 3 beeps before reaching zero and starting to count up. It started making a faint beeping sound several seconds before it got to a minute, and didn't get any louder when it did reach the alarm setting.

May I suggest that the Ptimer tab named "Clock" be changed to "Alarm?" That seems more straightforward to me.

I don't remember which version of Puppy I'm using. I think it's either Wary or Lucid. My /etc/puppyversion says 246

zigbert

#5 Post by zigbert »

seaside wrote:Wow, what a fabulous and well thought out program.
Thank you, - it's the best I could offer at the moment.

Sigmund

zigbert

#6 Post by zigbert »

Flash
You are in the wrong thread. This is not Ptimer.......but pTiming.
HEEEEEELP - Flash is hijacking my thread :shock: :shock: :shock:

:lol:

Ptimer/pStopwatch is not clever code, I have stated it as uncontinued. Puppy has a better alternative for alarm clock with Pschedule which uses less CPU power.

Sigmund

davids45

#7 Post by davids45 »

G'day zigbert,
Thank you for putting this useful package together. I hope I'm understanding what to do - apologies if I'm doing something incorrectly in regards to the following.

I have tried it on my Medion 8818 desktop.
This computer has a sound problem with kernels 2.6.33 or newer - continual stutter - so I'm using it with a Frugal Insidious (2.6.32.26).

A few questions or problems so far.

When I set the Reset Timer > Countdown to say 10 seconds so the first start at 0:0:0 will get the warning beeps, it is usually OK. But if I use the Set Timer again and reset the countdown, the display goes from -1:0 second to +1:0 second (no 0:0:0 displayed) and there is no start beep. It seems a bit unpredictable.

Could there be a <Start pTiming> button to hit/press instead of having the timer begin as soon as pTiming opens?

Could the computer clock time be displayed on the main display somewhere (in a small box using a different font colour, perhaps) as well as the pTime? In my events, we make start lists according to a clock time not a 0:0:0 so the option for displaying the clock time would be appreciated.

On my 19" LCD monitor, the full screen display cuts off the seconds. So only the hour and minute is seen. It may be OK on a laptop.

For the orienteering events I get involved in organising, I'd see two pTiming computers being needed - one for the Start, and one for the Finish. Rarely are the Start & Finish close together so that one pTiming would be enough to do both functions. Working pTiming as a simple Finish timer, would it be possible to configure or optionally register every TimeStamp press as a finish time instead of a LapTime? Exporting results would then only be as a list of the finish order and each finish time. pTiming could replace a thermal-paper printing clock we use sometimes (when SI is not available), with each finisher being given a finish order number that we relate back to the start time for the finisher, and then can work out the time taken.

Thanks again for this very interesting Pet,

David S.

zigbert

#8 Post by zigbert »

davids45 wrote:When I set the Reset Timer > Countdown to say 10 seconds so the first start at 0:0:0 will get the warning beeps, it is usually OK. But if I use the Set Timer again and reset the countdown, the display goes from -1:0 second to +1:0 second (no 0:0:0 displayed) and there is no start beep. It seems a bit unpredictable.
Yes, I have seen this behavior, but hasn't got it reproduced properly to detect its reason. Well, the obvious reason is that countdown and 'countup' have 2 different counter-engines, so 0 is the stage to switch engine. I have just made the first start at 00:00:30 or something else. I will look into this.
davids45 wrote:Could there be a <Start pTiming> button to hit/press instead of having the timer begin as soon as pTiming opens?
No! If user accidently click that button he would ruin the event timing.
davids45 wrote:Could the computer clock time be displayed on the main display somewhere (in a small box using a different font colour, perhaps) as well as the pTime? In my events, we make start lists according to a clock time not a 0:0:0 so the option for displaying the clock time would be appreciated.
I think it would be easier to offer an option to use day-time instead of P-time. I don't think it would be too hard to implement. The only problem that I immediately see, is when competition runs over midnight. The timer wouldn't show 00:00:00 but 25:00:00
davids45 wrote:On my 19" LCD monitor, the full screen display cuts off the seconds. So only the hour and minute is seen. It may be OK on a laptop.
Please help me to find a proper size.
In line 135 of /usr/local/ptiming you'll find

Code: Select all

Mono bold '$((HEIGHT/3))'"
Please try to increase 3 to a number that fixes your problem. In this case it must be an integer, but I could easily rewrite the code to accept decimals. Another solution would be to ship a better mono font to ensure that it works equal on all systems. Pwidgets uses monofonto which is a really nice mono font. But it requires some extra space, and I am strict when it comes to kb :)
davids45 wrote:would it be possible to configure or optionally register every TimeStamp press as a finish time instead of a LapTime? Exporting results would then only be as a list of the finish order and each finish time. pTiming could replace a thermal-paper printing clock we use sometimes (when SI is not available), with each finisher being given a finish order number that we relate back to the start time for the finisher, and then can work out the time taken.
Maybe I don't understand you correct, but I don't see any reason why the lap information give trouble. It is just to remove 1 column in the exported file. In pTiming (now) every timestamp is finish time. Adding lap-info, we have the possibility to redefine finish time to be the next timestamp as well.

I am thankful for your feedback. It wouldn't be possible to improve this app without inbound testing.
Sigmund

don570

observations

#9 Post by don570 »

You seem to be using a tap on the spacebar for just about everything.

Wouldn't it be wise to restrict the tapping of the spacebar to just a key
function like timing a lap?

When the program is full screen shouldn't the only way to get out of
full screen be to tap on ESC.

What about the following situation:

A runner wants to time his lap times while running a course.
He doesn't want to pay a coach to do this so he does it himself.
That's why a quick tap on the spacebar each time he passes the
starting line of the course is the best input method.

It would be pretty awkward to use a mouse or trackpad during a race,
so I have a suggestion.

To input a particular participant finishing a lap,
the judge would type in the participants number, then tap the
spacebar.

zigbert

Re: observations

#10 Post by zigbert »

don570 wrote:You seem to be using a tap on the spacebar for just about everything.
What are you pointing at. I haven't defined any hot-keys. It is only those which already is gtk builtin.
don570 wrote:When the program is full screen shouldn't the only way to get out of
full screen be to tap on ESC.
Exit fullscreen with ESC would be great. - If just anyone could tell me how to do it :roll:
don570 wrote:What about the following situation:

A runner wants to time his lap times while running a course.
He doesn't want to pay a coach to do this so he does it himself.
That's why a quick tap on the spacebar each time he passes the
starting line of the course is the best input method.

It would be pretty awkward to use a mouse or trackpad during a race,
so I have a suggestion.

To input a particular participant finishing a lap,
the judge would type in the participants number, then tap the
spacebar.
If you accept to use enter button instead of space, this already works. The only thing the runner have to do before start is to click in the black field to give it the focus.

Sigmund

zigbert

#11 Post by zigbert »

Version 0.2
See main post

Changelog
- Option to use day-time instead of count from 00:00:00. (thanks to davids45)
- Menuitem 'Online Help'.
- Default starttime is set to 00:02:00.
- Bugfix: Updated link to homepage in 'about'.
- Bugfix: showing 00:00:00 (and beep) fails sometimes when countdown (thanks to davids45)
- Bugfix: Font size in Fullscreen (thanks to davids45)

zigbert

#12 Post by zigbert »

david
Please check if fontsize is ok now in fullscreen. - Yes, there was a logical flaw

Sigmund

zigbert

#13 Post by zigbert »

Version 0.3
See main post

Changelog
- Tooltip for 'use day-time' checkbox.
- Bugfix: switching between day-time and P-time during countdown resets timer
- Bugfix: Timer could freeze when switching between day-time and P-time

davids45

#14 Post by davids45 »

G'day zigbert,

Thank you for continuing to develop this package.
I can confirm the full screen font is fixed in v0.2.

By slightly resizing (smaller) the main pTiming display and putting it to the top of the monitor screen, I can see this and the full screen clock as "background" at the same time. If this was ever useful(?), could the full screen big numbers be made to run across the lower half of the display instead of the centre, so giving more space to list recent button press data? Or just resize the displayed time window of pTiming to be as big as possible then fit the rest of the information around that?

Sorry for my idle thoughts above, I will download v0.3 and test.

I'm still hoping to find a way to set up pTiming as a very simple finish timer/recorder so that just the finish times are exported in button-press order. With v0.2, each press of the button is assumed to be a Lap time unless a competitor number is pre-entered in the special window. So the export puts all these '0' presses on a single line/cell for competitor '0'. I would like a spreadsheet file that lists in columns:

Press Number Time pressed (then the other column headers for later "off-line" adding/matching competitor details)

In the competitions I have in mind, matching the competitor number before finishing is not easy as we don't wear chest numbers and only know who had just finished when the control card is handed in after the button has been pressed.

Of course, I'm sure you know this is already done with, for example, the SportIdent timing system of memory sticks, writers and readers as well as computers, but I think pTiming will be for very good for simpler event situations.

Thanks again,

Regards,
David S.

zigbert

#15 Post by zigbert »

In the competitions I have in mind, matching the competitor number before finishing is not easy as we don't wear chest numbers and only know who had just finished when the control card is handed in after the button has been pressed.
But you can still edit the ID number after the button has been pressed. Click on the line that shows the timestamp, and you can edit in-place.

Sigmund

zigbert

#16 Post by zigbert »

Version 0.4
See main post

Changelog
- Fullscreen numbers at top of screen. (thanks to davids45)
- Export lap info in columns if competitor is not defined. (thanks to davids45)
- Participant has become competitor. (thanks to davids45)
- Bugfix: Make main window scale smaller than default size. (thanks to davids45)

zigbert

#17 Post by zigbert »

'Participant' has become 'competitor'. Please report other strange syntax. pTiming uses English terms that are not common to me. 'Timestamp' is marked by my spellchecker, but I let it go anyway.

Thanks for any help
Sigmund

01micko

#18 Post by 01micko »

Sigmund

As you have stated ptimer and pstopwatch are no longer supported.

Do you see this as a permanent replacement? (pTiming.. I can't see why not)

I am making the next spup soon and want to know your opinion.

Cheers, Mick
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

zigbert

#19 Post by zigbert »

01micko wrote:Do you see this as a permanent replacement?
YES!!!
That was the initial idea. As this idea evolved, things sorted out how to make a straightforward Stopwatch, and in the same time offer a complete timing system. I have tried to make the default window as simple as possible, so that the average user can use it as a ordinary stopwatch.

I see that this might be a niche-app, but at the same time, it will give one more reason to run Puppy. I guess there are comparable free apps out there, but I find it hard to believe that they are 14 kilobytes.

The CPU-usage compared to pStopwatch is heavily improved. When it comes to the alarm-clock in Ptimer, I really think that Pschedule would make a much better job. It might be an idea to build a alarm-clock-app that cooperated with pSchedule.

Sigmund

zigbert

#20 Post by zigbert »

It is of course possible to use pTiming as both alarm-clock and for countdown, but the user has to understand the set-timer options, and that requires a bit of general understanding of how pTiming actually works.

Sigmund