ShepherdPup2

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
1pritts2u

ShepherdPup2

#1 Post by 1pritts2u »

UPDATE: 07/024/11 Now based on Wary 5.1.2

I am please to publicly announce the release of our latest version of ShepherdPup Linux.

This third anniversary edition of ShepherdPup Linux is a self contained freely distributable derivative of Puppy Linux featuring the all new pBiblx2 - Field Wise Bible System http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 443#419443 complete with the many Christian resource materials that we are currently using and developing in our own daily ministries. It is an excellent starting point for you to add your own persnal additions too as well.

From it's very conception, ShepherdPup has been developed to stand out from other bible software by following this simple motto "It's meant to be given". This new edition takes the concept of bible sharing to even greater depths. You are welcome to use and modify it as your outreach efforts in the Lord see fit.

More details and a functional on line "live demo" of the pBiblx2 CGI is available at:

ShepherdPup
http://shepherdpuplinux.us/

as well as downloads.
Last edited by 1pritts2u on Sun 24 Jul 2011, 16:27, edited 6 times in total.

1pritts2u

ShepherdPup

#2 Post by 1pritts2u »

Not sure why yet, but, pBiblx2 on Hiawatha 6.17 in Lupu5.0 won't write to disk.

Thought it might be directory permissions, thought it might be the 'AlterMode' config option in hiawatha.conf, even re-wrote part of code to eliminate use of Post Method. Despite my efforts, I've not yet been able to tackle this bug.

Bug effects the saving of tags and notes. Same CGI works perfectly in 4.3.1 Shep and PupEEE on Hiawatha and even Apache.

Any ideas?

1pritts2u

ShepherdPup2

#3 Post by 1pritts2u »

The Lucid version of ShepherdPup2 is now fixed and updated to Lupu 5.0.1.

Now I would like to reduce the size of the beta release by moving several apps to quickpet. Would like to add a few more Gui tools like a dual monitor config/select app and try to link up some Christian Ubuntu apps before the Shep2 final. Target size will be back to 130megs(?).

jamalexa

Bible School Use

#4 Post by jamalexa »

How would I use this to setup a server and 5 desktops for bible study?

1pritts2u

ShepherdPup

#5 Post by 1pritts2u »

Added 7/6/2010 - Edit /etc/hiawatha/hiawatha.conf to comment out

#Interface = 127.0.0.1

then restart hiawatha.

1. On the same LAN behind a standard IP assigning router:

One computer is cold booted with the ShepherdPup CD. IP address is assigned by your router when you use the Internet Connection Wizard. The other 5 machines point their web browser to the Shep address (example http://192.168.0.100/pbiblx2). No additional setup.

2. From outside of your LAN:

Cold boot ShepherdPup CD and use Internet Connection Wizard. If behind a router, open the router's firewall to accept incoming http on port 80 and forward port 80 requests to the IP address of the Shep machine. If not behind a router/firewall point outside browsers to Shep's IP direct. If behind router's firewall, point outside browsers to router's IP.

3. From outside of your LAN using Dynamic Domain Services:

I've been using DYNDNS.com (others available) to register a free domain name (myopenbible.homeip.net). Whenever my Shep machine is moved, I simply update my dynamic IP address with their Static domain name and get instant Website. Very handy for a more permanently available study server.

EDIT: /root/Web-Server/pbiblx2/pbiblx.conf.pl variable $my_HOST to reflect your domain name.

Hope this helps! Let me know how your study goes!
Last edited by 1pritts2u on Wed 07 Jul 2010, 03:15, edited 1 time in total.

its-me-again

no checksum

#6 Post by its-me-again »

there is no checksum on teh offical site for both the new versions
http://shepherdpuplinux.us/ShepherdPupDownload.html

see for yoursel;f.
this makes it hard to tell if teh download is successfull. can you please please fix this urgently. as i have tryed to download and run without success. several times.

1pritts2u

ShepherdPup2

#7 Post by 1pritts2u »

md5sums are now posted. Thanks for pointing this out!

Let me know if you continue having problems downloading.

1pritts2u

ShepherdPup2

#8 Post by 1pritts2u »

http://shepherdpuplinux.us/ShepSupMan.html

Work has begun on a supplemental manual focusing on using pBiblx2 in conjunction with other pets and apps, a sort of building block approach to bigger and better evangelical uses.

The first entry in this series is regarding public presentation projections using NoteCase/Seamonkey/pBIblx2/xrandr. This building block approach produces a capable feature rich projection package with all components resident on a stock Shep CD.

This manual is being authored in NoteCase and is also available in its original ncd format for first hand trial.

http://shepherdpuplinux.us/Downloads/pu ... SupMan.ncd

1pritts2u

ShepherdPup2

#9 Post by 1pritts2u »

Contrary to the rumors you've heard, Shep is alive and well.

ShepherdPupLinux is preparing for it's next major update early February 2011.

Many enhancements have been made to the pBiblx2 bible server just released 01/12/11. Changes that allow for a lot more component level access to key resources. The effort now is implementing these resources seamlessly across the entire desktop.

So many new features that pBiblx2 is nearly a desktop in itself.

Some new artwork, new content, new cloud features. It's very exciting I must say.

Stay tuned!!!

1pritts2u

ShepherdPup - Third Anniversary Edition Released.

#10 Post by 1pritts2u »

ShepherdPupLinux Third Anniversary Edition Released

07-24-2011 Edition:
1. Built on Wary 5.1.2 for long term support and reliability.
2. pBiblx2 Field Wise version 2.0.7
3. Most all of the additional resources currently being developed/used by our team:

A. Revamped desktop with icons direct to popular features.
B. Additional Admin GUI's including new HTML/PDF/TXT to Pbiblx conversion dialogs.
C. KJV TSK STRKJV translations shipped with some 160 other public domain versions available for download via Admin GUI.
D. Naves Easton Hitchcock Smith TCR Torrey references shipped standard.
E. Revised pcarr:FoundationsOfFaith and pcarr:DailyApplications wiki threads.
F. New extra:FeatureHome thread with extra:MurrayNewLife and index:DAILYLIGHT reading and devotional materials.
G. pBiblx2_Shelf with popular links to on-board and cloud resources. Scripted icons for date sensitive devotionals.
H. Many additional indexes of external media, map and reference links.

4. Default wiki password disabled for private usage (Re-Enabled thru Admin Gui).

jamalexa

#11 Post by jamalexa »

I downloaded the third anniversary version today and ran it on my Thinkpad z61t laptop. I set the wired internet connection and wanted to try the Hiawatha web server. I had to look around to find the pbiblx-admin control. Its at /my-applications/bin/pbiblx_2shelf/Apps. I started the admin and commented out the line interface=127.0.0.1. Then I used IPInfo to get the ip address of my laptop then i went over to the office desktop on my network, typed in 192.168.*.*/pbiblx2 and bam - there was Pbiblx on my desktop. Now I will try to setup this system at my church and school in September. Thanks for all your hard work.

jamalexa

#12 Post by jamalexa »

I forgot to mention that after i commented out the interface line I had to reset the server. I also hit - Share Hiawatha Live just to be sure. Thanks again.

1pritts2u

#13 Post by 1pritts2u »

The "Share Hiawatha Live" option essentially does what you were able to figure out manually. You're right, the Admin GUI used to be in the personal menu and is now in the pBiblx2_shelf.

Admin is a work in progress, I'd appreciate any idea's on what best it should do to be useful.

If you get registered with a domain name like a free one from DynDNS let me know and I'll list you in our seed community.

P.S - I am looking into domain names for our seeds perhaps being provided on ShepherdPupLinux's web host that way I could script the process. Something like YOURNAME.shepherdpuplinux.us

jamalexa

can not connect to pbiblx2

#14 Post by jamalexa »

I've ran into a problem. I did a frigal install on an old Dell Optiplex GX110 that I use as a server. It is running PupServer 435. I did a frugal install, brought up ShepherdPup and configured it the same way I did for my laptop test. When i put in the ip address of the computer I get this message - Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at 127.0.0.1.. If i backspace out /pbiblx2 I get Pbiblx2 Study frame 1000x600 - 404 - not found. See picture. Could it be the amount of ram I have on the server? It Is 137MB.
Attachments
Pbiblx2 Study Frame.png
(45.83 KiB) Downloaded 942 times

1pritts2u

404 error

#15 Post by 1pritts2u »

I have not attempted a frugal install yet with this edition, but my first inclination is that you will need to "chown -R webuser:webgroup pbiblx2/www". It seems that if you are seeing the picture and the empty page frames but not the content, you are just that close. If not, I would check the /var/log/hiawatha/error.log for the full error description.

Let us know what you find.

1pritts2u

ShepherdPup Introductions

#16 Post by 1pritts2u »

A link to my getting settled into ShepherdPup article. To get your inventive juices flowing.

http://shepherdpuplinux.us/cgi-bin/pbib ... SettlingIn

HiDeHo

#17 Post by HiDeHo »

wow good job. what about people like me who cant run wary puppies due to a newer computer will you be doing a lupu version or providing a version baised on wary with new kernels. just wondering

1pritts2u

Wary Version?

#18 Post by 1pritts2u »

At the present time, I am busy searching out good solid public domain content and producing audio content for my own private seed. I intend to revisit the Wary vs Lupu debate this fall.

You are welcome to download the pbiblx2 package and install on your present Lupu until then if you wish.

http://shepherdpuplinux.us/ShepherdPupDownload.html

May God Bless!

HiDeHo

#19 Post by HiDeHo »

I have found wary is more suited to older computers and runs great on them. has some issues running slow adn not so good on the newer computers.

what was the previous version based on. was it a lupu build???

there is so much choice out there with puppy linux lol how can i do it.
welli am going to download and test this anyway. pitty there is no downoad link for the os from teh shepheard pup website.