Lucid Puppy 5.2 feedback and bug reports

Please post any bugs you have found
ttuuxxx

#41 Post by ttuuxxx »

abesidi wrote:w00t, finally a simple calculator with a thousands seperator came with Puppy :D Before, there was this scientific unnecessarily huge calculator to calculate 15x23 :P Of course, the added .RAR support is very neat too!

I agree, this is the best Puppy Linux to date, there are lots new features and updates and I have yet to discover lots of them.

Keep up the good work guys!
your probably talking about the hacked gcalctool calculator, Yes that's my favorite also, I really like the advanced features, 3 calc's in one, I first hacked that early last year to work on 2.14X, and since lucid had gconf, It only made since to compile it for 5 series :), I also never liked any of the default calculators.
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

smiley

#42 Post by smiley »

smiley wrote:
01micko wrote:
smiley wrote:I am unable to mount any jfs drives with 5.2.
e2fsprogs was rolled back for older machines, try the one in Lucid Puppy News (link in the first post or from Quickpet)

Cheers
I have tried e2fsprogs-1.41.14-w5-20101224.pet and e2fsprogs_new-1.41.14-w5-20101224.pet found in the ibiblios lucid pets.

No change, jfs mount still not working, pmount(started from the terminal) sais:
"mount: unknown filesystem type 'jfs'"

So i guess something else cause this or I did not find the right version?

I am new, so here is a newbie question, is there a complete list of changes or packages that are in 5.2 and 5.1.1?
I have been checking the previous betas and looks like from luci-243 to luci 244 something has changed.
All the versions below 243(240,241,242) did mount jfs OK.
luci-244 reported an error when mounting jfs, so my guess would be something was changed or broken in this transition.

samarai

Re: Post Some BUGS

#43 Post by samarai »

nooby wrote:
samarai wrote:Hello guys,
I am a chinese user,I had use LUPU for some times,and i met some troble.

There is many difference betwin Old release puppy and Lupu,
At the old puppy,It can support chinese locale well.But in the Lupu,When the chinese strings in the ANSI documents it allways show me garbled.
and when I use wireless ,the chinese ESSID just only show me a UTF-8 code..

When I was boot Lupu at first time,the xorgwizard haven't shows,and just take me to the black screen,so I reboot,and at the time when it was going to the 'black screen' I press Ctrl+C to abort ,and run xorgwizard to use vesa mode,my netbook used Atom N270 with intel g945 chipset,I can use probe mode at the old release puppy,but Lupu.

The Lupu is great,It has so more wonderful functions then the old release puppy,But itis BUG also more too,I think...
I had hoped others that know more should give you advice.

I also have a computer that use n270 and intel 945. I use Fluppy and Snow Puppy on it.

I suggest you do test if these behave better. Fluppy 010 you can find here
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=56156

and Snow Puppy here
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=483927

These both have drivers that hopefully work better on your computer.

Jemimah is Developer for Fluppy.

But about the Chinese maybe Shinobar can help he encourage all to make Local Language support for Puppy. And he is from Japan so he maybe have knowledge on what you ask.
Thank you dear nooby,I have to use quirky1.4 this days.next time I will try the Japanese Vertion,and hope it fixed.Now all the Chinese user use leafpad to open the documents,because of the Bug I told...
I dont like to use the leafpad because I haven't used it before so maybe the old quirky is shut the more.I was so sad with we could not play lupu as well...
:arrow: welcome to Amoy lads' club,[url=http://xmlad.com]Xmlad.com[/url] I am Chinese' youth I'm Xiamen's lad.

playdayz

#44 Post by playdayz »

1) Unable to remasterCD. I've made it many times before with other puppies so I am not doing anything else here. The problem is :
Lucid build a Lucid.sfs in size about 23 mb !!!! So there is missing something I gues. I am also:
I was able to remaster a largish Lucid Puppy--Perhaps you did not have enough spare room on the disk that you used to remaster.

Also I have been able to burn consistently--but we will watch this.

swiatmar

#45 Post by swiatmar »

Hello!!!

I have a question about autostart of xfce after remastering. Usually to start automatically xfce I need to change the entrance in .xinitrc at the end exec
and /etc/windowmanager to startxfce4. But after it Lucid wont start xfce automatically? I sthere something new? Did I miss something?
:)

playdayz

#46 Post by playdayz »

I am unable to mount any jfs drives with 5.2.

e2fsprogs was rolled back for older machines, try the one in Lucid Puppy News (link in the first post or from Quickpet)

Cheers

I have tried e2fsprogs-1.41.14-w5-20101224.pet and e2fsprogs_new-1.41.14-w5-20101224.pet found in the ibiblios lucid pets.

Smiley, Thanks for the sleuthing you did. This is the e2fsprogs from luci-243. As 01micko said, it makes sense that it would be e2fsprogs. This one was from maverick but as micko also said we reverted because some people had trouble with it. It is not the same as any that you have tried. After installing you should reboot to make sure.

<Add> You might try the jfsutils that are several messages below this first.
Last edited by playdayz on Tue 11 Jan 2011, 18:05, edited 1 time in total.

bigpup

#47 Post by bigpup »

playdayz wrote:
I am unable to mount any jfs drives with 5.2.

Cheers

Smiley, Thanks for the sleuthing you did. This is the e2fsprogs from luci-243. As 01micko said, it makes sense that it would be e2fsprogs. This one was from maverick but as micko said we reverted because some people had trouble with it. It is not the same as any that you have tried.
I noticed the Gparted in Lucid 5.2 does not have the ability to do a lot of formats. Is the above why?
Attachments
gparted format.png
Gparted format choices
(35.69 KiB) Downloaded 1962 times

playdayz

#48 Post by playdayz »

Smiley, What am I thinking. Here is the e2fsprogs from Lucid 511.

Sylvander

#49 Post by Sylvander »

Within my Lupu-520, the "Open with..." in Xfe doesn't retain the file associations. :(
Never seen that problem before.

playdayz

#50 Post by playdayz »

Thanks for the clue Bigpup. I checked and lucid 5.1.1 was the same.

Smiley, try this one. It is the utilities for jfs. It allows gparted to format to jfs (bigpup's clue), so maybe it will allow jfs to be mounted.

smiley

jfs drive mounting

#51 Post by smiley »

playdayz wrote:Smiley, What am I thinking. Here is the e2fsprogs from Lucid 511.
Hi playdayz,

I have tried but I am still not able to mount jfs drives.
Did the reboot and jfsutils as I did before.

I don't think this e2fsprogs is the problem(or it can not be solved this way), I have remembered that when I was testing for jfs also ntfs-3g driver would not load(it used ntfs driver instead) due to something to do with "fuse", maybe this could be the problem?

I will try to reproduce that to be able to get to you the full error message.

Is there something else I can try/test to find the source of the problem?

Is there some kind of log to see what were the changes between versions?

playdayz

#52 Post by playdayz »

I don't think this e2fsprogs is the problem
I agree now. It is not the jfsutils either. I formatted a disk as jfs and could not mount it. I don't know. I have to think and experiment. I will look at fuse. Thanks.

smiley

jfs drive mounting

#53 Post by smiley »

playdayz wrote:
I don't think this e2fsprogs is the problem
I agree now. It is not the jfsutils either. I formatted a disk as jfs and could not mount it. I don't know. I have to think and experiment. I will look at fuse. Thanks.
I have also done some experimenting...

When you do upgrade from 5.1.1 the jfs mounting functions OK.
I have noticed that in directory /lib/modules/2.6.33.2/kernel/fs there are some directories missing from 5.2 like jfs and also fuse

I do not know anything about internal work in linux, but this is one lead of what is wrong here...

Is there some easy way to do a compare of directories for a newbie(tried meld but produces some errors...), so that I can see what are the differences between plain 5.2 installation and 5.2 over 5.1.1 upgrade?

playdayz

#54 Post by playdayz »

You found exactly the same thing I found. luci-242 had a zdrv and all the fs drivers were there, but when we switched back away something happened.

You might try copying the jfs folders to 5.2 and then run depmod and then reboot. I have a jfs partition now so I can test also.

We're close (I hope ;-)

smiley

jfs drive mounting

#55 Post by smiley »

playdayz wrote:You found exactly the same thing I found. luci-242 had a zdrv and all the fs drivers were there, but when we switched back away something happened.

You might try copying the jfs folders to 5.2 and then run depmod and then reboot. I have a jfs partition now so I can test also.

We're close (I hope ;-)
Thanks(did not know about the magic word "depmod" :) ), now it is working.
As you noticed there are also some other directories "missing" from there...

So this is a kinda quick fix, when you figure out what happened I presume there will be a "real" fix.

Thanks again, I have almost all the stuff on jfs drives.

playdayz

#56 Post by playdayz »

Thanks(did not know about the magic word "depmod" Smile ), now it is working

Oh that is good news. Here's what happened. When we were trying to shrink, around the time of 243, I checked a box that said "erase 'exotic' modules that are rarely needed." Guess what, the jfs modules were in that group that got erased. Since you are good, we now have the leisure to figure out the best permanent fix. Thanks.

smiley

#57 Post by smiley »

playdayz wrote: Since you are good, we now have the leisure to figure out the best permanent fix. Thanks.
From my point of view if this is fixed in the next version is fine by me, but I think it should be checked what else got erased. I think a lot of people use this Puppy linux CD as a quick rescue disk, so it is useful to support as much of the file systems as possible, at least those that are still used, jfs certainly is.

MinHundHettePerro

#58 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

Hello :)!

On JFS

Sorry, if I'm just coming in from the left here. just been building woof-pups for a fortnight (quite a few of them for experiment, and some kernel builds to go along).

Anyway, just my nooby woof thoughts :shock: :);
- JFS module did not disappear by me erasing exotic modules (don't have a jfs drive to test, though).
- in 3builddistro, one is first asked whether to put the modules in a zdrv, and then one is asked whether to delete built modules (to save space), upon which a depmod at first run should be needed.

And now, my confused conclusion :shock:, had the JFS-support been there if modules had been deleted (and therefore, a depmod at first run would have been performed)?

Please, ignore if it doesn't make any sense :)/
MHHP
[color=green]Celeron 2.8 GHz, 1 GB, i82845, many ptns, modes 12, 13
Dual Xeon 3.2 GHz, 1 GB, nvidia quadro nvs 285[/color]
Slackos & 214X, ... and Q6xx
[color=darkred]Nämen, vaf....[/color] [color=green]ln -s /dev/null MHHP[/color]

MinHundHettePerro

#59 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

duke93535 wrote:playdayz
What does it see? What do you see with htop (Menu -> System status -> htop) (how many cores?)[
When i run htop in quirky1.4 it sees all six cores and in lupu520 it only sees 4 cores.
Again, my nooby thoughts :shock:!

In lupu520's DOTconfig-k2.6.33.2-27MAY2010-LUPU-SMP-TICKLESS the following is specified

Code: Select all

CONFIG_NR_CPUS=4
while in Q140's DOTconfig-K2.6.31.14-25OCT2010 it is specified:

Code: Select all

CONFIG_NR_CPUS=8
Couldn't that config option be the culprit?

Again, please, ignore if I'm posting out of my league here :)/
MHHP
[color=green]Celeron 2.8 GHz, 1 GB, i82845, many ptns, modes 12, 13
Dual Xeon 3.2 GHz, 1 GB, nvidia quadro nvs 285[/color]
Slackos & 214X, ... and Q6xx
[color=darkred]Nämen, vaf....[/color] [color=green]ln -s /dev/null MHHP[/color]

playdayz

#60 Post by playdayz »

Does anyone have or know of "devices" that worked in 5.1.1 but not in Lucid 5.2?

Particularly that would be net devices such as wireless and filesystem devices such as odd filesystems.

If so, please give this a try: it is some Extra Drivers for 5.2 that were in 5.1.1 but were eliminated from 5.2 in the drive to shrink its size..
Last edited by playdayz on Wed 12 Jan 2011, 01:42, edited 1 time in total.