Release announcement:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... id-520.htm

Download:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... pu-520.iso

Before reporting any bugs there is a help page at Lupu News

http://www.diddywahdiddy.net/LupuNews/index4.html

The information there may help you overcome your problem

Fixes:

jfs fix (also perhaps if you have missing drivers that were present in 5.1x) http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 759#485759

Unetbootin (their bug, not ours) http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 946#483946

Quickpet bugfix http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 193#487193

Please report any bugs and fixes or other feedback and suggestions here.

Announcing Here First: Instant Update 001 for Lucid 5.2

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... 52-001.pet

This is *not* a crucial bug-fix update because we simply have not found enough bugs to justify that. However it does contain a few nice enhancements.

=> PupControl 1.3 by radky starts with the Setup Icon on the desktop

=> Desksetup Icon Templates by 01micko to make it easy to adjust icon placement on Desktop
Last edited by 01micko on Tue 08 Feb 2011, 22:08, edited 5 times in total.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

tronkel

#2 Post by tronkel »

Wow! - great job Micko. Must be one of the best Linuces to date - Puppy or otherwise.

I installed the Codeblocks Programmers' IDE together with the Fluid-FLTK GUI builder from the Lucid repos (via the PPM) after installing the devx for 520. There was one libpython shared library missing (for the gdb debugger tool) that I installed from the PPM also.

This worked first time - something that I couldn't do with either Debian or Linux Mint Debian. So all set up now to do some useful FLTK programming for Puppy 520.

I also installed Compiz Fusion and the XFCE4 desktop packages. Had some initial problems with losing the XFCE window decorations, but finally got them back by replacing "emerald --replace &" with "gtk-window-decorator --replace &" in /root/.xinitrc. Also did this in the Compiz Setting Manager - in the Window Decoration configuration dialogue.

The Emerald settings manager bombs out on my system, so the XFCE compiz packages need a look at at some point. Research on the net shows that the Emerald packages for Ubuntu/Debian appear to be bugged. If they do come up with repaired code, this would be the time to sort out the XFCE Compiz stuff in the Lucid 520 repo. At least it works at the moment though - albeit with some fiddling around.

In all, the desktop complete with wBAR and Compiz running in XFCE looks terrific. Someone ought to do a fat puplet with that stuff included out-of-the-box.
Attachments
puppy520-desktop.jpg
(73 KiB) Downloaded 1797 times
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

emil

terrific

#3 Post by emil »

Hi tronkel,
would be terrific if someone would be you! :wink:
You have the work already done :D
emil

playdayz

#4 Post by playdayz »

the XFCE compiz packages need a look at at some point.
Hey tronkel, IN PPM, there is one item that has compiz and xfce together. That is newer. Did you use that or the two separate listings? Thanks.

tronkel

#5 Post by tronkel »

@emil. Gruessi!

I have already made a remastered ISO snapshot of this system that includes XFCE4 Compiz and Codeblocks. The ISO is 748MB so needs a DVD. Also, I'm not entirely happy with the way that the live DVD ISO handles Compiz at the moment.

But yes, you're right. I ought to sort this out. Let's see if there's a demand first of all and then I'll have another shot at it. This really ought be built using the Woof build system rather than a simple re-master in any case.

Alles gute

tronkel

tronkel

#6 Post by tronkel »

Playdayz wrote:
Hey tronkel, IN PPM, there is one item that has compiz and xfce together. That is newer. Did you use that or the two separate listings? Thanks.
Aha! lol that's a point! I installed both of them - silly me!. I'll have a play around with a pristine frugal pupsave and see if that improves the way Compiz/XFCE4 behaves.

DaveS

#7 Post by DaveS »

Odd really. The Fn brightness up/down keys dont work as they should. Adjustments dont happen until after re-starting X, so, adjust brightness down, nothing happens, re-start X and the screen is dimmer, and vise versa.
This happens sometimes with various versions of Puppy. Just now, Spup works as expected.
Small thing that would probably take forever to find...............
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

gcmartin

Firefox beta on PUP5.2

#8 Post by gcmartin »

some 3D sites aren't rendering as expected. Seems that sites are NOT recognizing Firefox properly. Is this a PUP5.2 problem?

for example, try this:

Hope this helps

duke93535

#9 Post by duke93535 »

First the menus do not work correctly in Lucid 5.2, but do in the latest Wary and Quirky. Adjusting the number of items to be shown in a submenu has no effect in /etc/xdg/menus/puppy-filesystem.menu, for example.

Second it doesn’t see my 6 core processor as Wary and Quirky’s latest do. Quirky’s 1.4 kernel is older than Lucid 5.2, what is up. Are they better or differently compiled?

Thanks duke

bigpup

Re: Firefox beta on PUP5.2

#10 Post by bigpup »

gcmartin wrote:some 3D sites aren't rendering as expected. Seems that sites are NOT recognizing Firefox properly. Is this a PUP5.2 problem?

for example, try this:

Hope this helps
This info may help;
http://www.khronos.org/webgl/wiki/Imple ... ns/Firefox

swiatmar

#11 Post by swiatmar »

Okey

Here are my problems :) :

1) Unable to remasterCD. I've made it many times before with other puppies so I am not doing anything else here. The problem is :
Lucid build a Lucid.sfs in size about 23 mb !!!! So there is missing something I gues. I am also:
2) unable to burn it directly to CD. My burner can read DVDs and CDs erase them etc. but can't burn remaster puppy

The only thing I have changed was adding xfce package from 01micko and hotpup to managed the drive icons on desktop
There is much stuff not working in xfce with lucid puppy 5.2 :(
After adding hotpup(the only way to get devices on the desktop), there is a problem with drives unmounting and especially the CD/DVD drive :(
Last edited by swiatmar on Sat 08 Jan 2011, 23:18, edited 1 time in total.

smiley

Gparted problems

#12 Post by smiley »

Hi I am new here and what I have tried I love Puppy Linux, it is the best for me.

I have installed 5.1.1 and now upgraded to 5.2, but when I try to run GParted it fails to run, from the terminal it outputs the following:

Code: Select all

glibmm-ERROR **:
unhandled exception (type std::exception) in signal handler:
what: basic_string::_S_create

aborting...
/usr/sbin/gparted_shell: line65: 7696 Aborted            gparted /dev/${THEDRIVE}
In 5.1.1 GParted is running OK.
The disk has some NTFS, HPFS, ext3, jfs partitions and a os2 boot manager

Update: I have found that it is a known bug in GParted(check version 0.7.0?? where to get it?)
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/617885

PS: Is there an easy way to copy-paste from urxvt terminal?[/url]

playdayz

#13 Post by playdayz »

I have installed 5.1.1 and now upgraded to 5.2, but when I try to run GParted it fails to run, from the terminal it outputs the following:
Code:
glibmm-ERROR **:
unhandled exception (type std::exception) in signal handler:
what: basic_string::_S_create

aborting...
/usr/sbin/gparted_shell: line65: 7696 Aborted gparted /dev/${THEDRIVE}

In 5.1.1 GParted is running OK.
The disk has some NTFS, HPFS, ext3, jfs partitions and a os2 boot manager
I think this gparted should run--the newer one in Lucid 5.2 does not like some cpu's.

playdayz

#14 Post by playdayz »

Second it doesn’t see my 6 core processor
What does it see? What do you see with htop (Menu -> System status -> htop) (how many cores?)

qmnaeem

Lucid Puppy 5.2 didn't boot

#15 Post by qmnaeem »

Hello, I'm regular user of Puppy. It's my 1st message in the form and hope a solution for my problem.
I downloaded the new version of Lucid Puppy 5.20 and burn it to pen drive but the puppy didn't boot and displayed the following message:
loading devices drivers needed to access disk drivers ...... done
searching for puppy files in computer disk drivers.......... pausing
searching deeper, sub-folders in partitions .............. pausing
Boot partition not found. Dropping out to initial-ramdisk consol........
/bin/sh; can't access tty; job control turned off.
Solution? Please reply soon.

rcrsn51

#16 Post by rcrsn51 »

loading devices drivers needed to access disk drivers ...... done
searching for puppy files in computer disk drivers.......... pausing
searching deeper, sub-folders in partitions .............. pausing
Boot partition not found. Dropping out to initial-ramdisk consol........
/bin/sh; can't access tty; job control turned off.
Read here.

duke93535

#17 Post by duke93535 »

playdayz
What does it see? What do you see with htop (Menu -> System status -> htop) (how many cores?)[
When i run htop in quirky1.4 it sees all six cores and in lupu520 it only sees 4 cores.

capoverde

#18 Post by capoverde »

As posted by swiatmar in the 5.2 release thread, there are BIG problems with CD burning: tried to copy the Live-CD the two-pass way, but the reading did not start until I noticed that a small black window named "puppy" had opened in a corner up left, and closed it (all new bug!).
The reading started, but went on in an odd way and finished fixating the CD :shock: ; the ISO file I saved was only about 8MB.
The disk had been mastered as multisession as always, and now is closed. BTW, this was done after booting with pfix=ram.

* * *EDITED: it was my bad to be too impatient, the message "...command not found" remaining in the window for all the reading time made me think Pburn had frozen, whereas all was working regularly and the little black window was to be left untouched... Sorry Zigbert for a false alarm. :oops: * * *

JWM can still not be configured from the menu "JWM configuration" as for the tray size and virtual desktop number, must be set by hand.

On earlier Puppies the connection was sometimes lost on upgrading, but could be reconfigured straight on; the updated Lupu 5.2 does not connect (connects OK with pfix=ram).
Actually, I have four HDs with an updated LuPu5.2 savefile each (all with CD boot, no install), some coming from 5.11 and others from 5.16 and 5.17 - and none of them finds any ethernet connection, even setting the right driver module (which is selectable, but then declared to be missing). Also happens on another box.
Last edited by capoverde on Sun 09 Jan 2011, 22:28, edited 2 times in total.

samarai

Post Some BUGS

#19 Post by samarai »

Hello guys,
I am a chinese user,I had use LUPU for some times,and i met some troble.

There is many difference betwin Old release puppy and Lupu,
At the old puppy,It can support chinese locale well.But in the Lupu,When the chinese strings in the ANSI documents it allways show me garbled.
and when I use wireless ,the chinese ESSID just only show me a UTF-8 code..

When I was boot Lupu at first time,the xorgwizard haven't shows,and just take me to the black screen,so I reboot,and at the time when it was going to the 'black screen' I press Ctrl+C to abort ,and run xorgwizard to use vesa mode,my netbook used Atom N270 with intel g945 chipset,I can use probe mode at the old release puppy,but Lupu.

The Lupu is great,It has so more wonderful functions then the old release puppy,But itis BUG also more too,I think...
:arrow: welcome to Amoy lads' club,[url=http://xmlad.com]Xmlad.com[/url] I am Chinese' youth I'm Xiamen's lad.

earthmage

Boot Problem

#20 Post by earthmage »

Thanks for boot answer, lol. Was driving me crazy...