Lucid Puppy 5.2 Official Release JAN 5 2011

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
playdayz

#641 Post by playdayz »

This idiot thinks its based on 10.04
That part is basically true. Lucid 5.2 includes *some* binaries from 10.10 Maverick as well as some custom binaries, but the kernel and Xorg are still Lucid Lynx 10.04 spec.

That guy sure can copy and paste well, eh? I wrote the following word for word--but as a "press release" so I regard it as a good thing that they copied it correctly ;-) It is an important fact about Woof that I wanted to get as much publicity for as possible.
"Lucid Puppy 5.2 is a Puppy through and through. What that means is that the *architecture* is pure Puppy--it just happens to be that many of the building materials (applications, utilities, libraries) are Ubuntu binaries. With Puppy founder Barry Kauler’s Woof Build System the packages could just as easily have been Slackware or Arch binaries."

"In fact, the Wary Puppy that Kauler recently released to bring the advantages of Puppy to vintage hardware was also built with Woof, using compiled T2 binaries.

smokey01

#642 Post by smokey01 »

bigpup wrote:Update of a save file in frugal installs does not work!
Update of a save file in frugal installs does not work!!
Update of a save file in frugal installs does not work!!!
Update of a save file in frugal installs does not work!!!!
It will not work until Barry makes changes to improve the process!
I feel your pain too, but that is the facts we have to live with for now.
You are wasting time trying to make borked save file updates work.
Barry's blog has several posts concerning the issue.
Hi bigpup. You are a little harsh. I experienced the same as many with not a 100% update but probably about 99%.

All I was missing were a few icons and a couple of other minor annoyances.

I think it's misleading to say it does not work when most of it does, although not perfect.

This is my personal point of view, not a criticism.

nooby

#643 Post by nooby »

Yes the better way to refer to it is that it is not a predictable outcome

Often it do work but now and then it do things that one did not expect or could predict and Barry has described such instances on his blog but I agree that it can work often enough for some brave users to try every time :)

so it is good that BigPup warn thouse newbies that are too optimistic that it can turn really nasty if they have no back up version to get back to if it screw up.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

smokey01

#644 Post by smokey01 »

You are quite correct nooby.

Backup, backup and backup.

Aways backup the savefile before upgrading or do what I do.

My process is usually:

Make a new directory eg: lupu-520
Copy initrd, lupu-520.sfs and vmlinuz to the directory from lupu-520.iso
Manually add new entry to grub menu.lst file
Boot new distro
copy old savefile to new directory
reboot
Puppy will now use old savefile and upgrade

works for me

bigpup

#645 Post by bigpup »

smokey01 wrote:You are quite correct nooby.

Backup, backup and backup.

Aways backup the savefile before upgrading or do what I do.

My process is usually:

Make a new directory eg: lupu-520
Copy initrd, lupu-520.sfs and vmlinuz to the directory from lupu-520.iso
Manually add new entry to grub menu.lst file
Boot new distro
copy old savefile to new directory
reboot
Puppy will now use old savefile and upgrade

works for me
I agree this is the best way to update a frugal install save file to use in a new version of Puppy, but it does not work 100% of the time with no problems. The thing is there is no way to know for sure what did not work. If there is something in that save file that effects the core programs of Puppy linux you just do not know what will happen. It can be as simple as a program stored in the save file needs a certain version of a dependent file. The new version of Puppy supplies a different version of that dependent file and now the program will not work.

swiatmar

#646 Post by swiatmar »

Hello!!

I found some problem in puppy 5.2.

I am unable to remaster a liveCD!!! I've made it many times with other puppies, but in puppy 5.2 it doesn't work. Does anybody has a better expirence. has anybody tried to remaster?
Everything is working wright until burning. Puppy don't burn the remaster version an it throw out the CD.........

By the way if I don't burn only save remaster CD to disk lupu.sfs size has only 23 mb !!!!!!!!!
Somehow strange.
Last edited by swiatmar on Sat 08 Jan 2011, 00:16, edited 1 time in total.

playdayz

#647 Post by playdayz »

Béèm , Have you tried Pwireless2 in PPM? Jemimah is developing a new wireless wizard to replace pwireless2 (in Fluppy I think) and maybe she has a pet of that. But pwireless2 might be worth a try itself. Please backup first ;-)
Last edited by playdayz on Sat 08 Jan 2011, 00:13, edited 1 time in total.

playdayz

#648 Post by playdayz »

I agree this is the best way to update a frugal install save file to use in a new version of Puppy, but it does not work 100% of the time with no problems.
I agree Bigpup, it doesn't work 100% but the tests i did were definitely useful--one might have to reinstall a program, change the desktop, some icons might get lost--but my tests did end up functional. The thing that bugged me the most is that it used the old wallpaper ;-)

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#649 Post by Béèm »

playdayz wrote:Béèm , Have you tried Pwireless2 in PPM? Jemimah is developing a new wireless wizard to replace pwireless2 (in Fluppy I think) and maybe she has a pet of that. But pwireless2 might be worth a try itself. Please backup first ;-)
A while back I think I tried it, but as far as I remember I had a problem.

Jemimah's Pwireless is called Frisbee now and is in Fluppy 10, with which I didn't have a problem. Don't know if a pet is out yet.

Since I reconfigured with the Wizard and change to direct connection to internet, I didn't have a problem yet.

So I'll leave it a while to see.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

swiatmar

#650 Post by swiatmar »

Okey

I think there is also a problem with burning. I've made a iso file burn it on other computer. but puppy don't boot

The other thing is I can read CD an DVDs, erase RW etc. The drive is regonized, but I am unable to burn anything.............
hmmm

ilanrab

#651 Post by ilanrab »

swiatmar wrote:...I can read CD an DVDs, erase RW etc. The drive is regonized, but I am unable to burn anything.............
hmmm
Must be another puppy "green" feature. Forest fire prevention routines...
After all, we wouldn't want those burning commands to get out of control!
8) :lol:
[b]ir[/b]

smil99

frisbee

#652 Post by smil99 »

First of all, kudos to all those who worked tirelessly to ensure the successful release of Puppy Linux 5.2 (aka Lucid Puppy 5.2). Its a release we are all proud of.

Beem,
You may try the attached frisbee pet which I made from the one in Fluppy10. I had similar problems with the native internet connection tools in puppy and frisbee seems to do the job quite well.

Cheers.

James C

#653 Post by James C »

swiatmar wrote:Okey

I think there is also a problem with burning. I've made a iso file burn it on other computer. but puppy don't boot

The other thing is I can read CD an DVDs, erase RW etc. The drive is regonized, but I am unable to burn anything.............
hmmm
I just used Burniso2cd from my full install of 520 to burn a cd....it booted and is running in my other computer right now. So, no problems burning in 520 here.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#654 Post by Lobster »

Had no problem burning RW-DVD's
Do an md5sum on the ISO and maybe burn at a slower speed.
Bugs can be reported here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 347#484347
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Sage

#655 Post by Sage »

FRUGALITY or NOT FRUGALITY.
Folks who sup with the devil deserve their just rewards.
Remember Doublespace?! Arrrgggh.
There is no case for using compressed data files on HDs, much less OSes, esp. compact distros. Even an old 3Gb unit is adequate for a FULL installation of the OS itself. Text doesn't use much storage space so compression is irrelevant. Personal photos are best saved onto secondary devices; avid photographers with very large albums can use Tb external SATA/USB drives, modest amateurs taking family snaps can use USB sticks/CDs/DVDs or, best of all secondary HDs. Music lovers use MP3 compression to any of the latter storage media. Where's the need for a compressed file with machine settings? If you must have a dozen different versions of a single distro, if you must wear your lemming hat and buy laptops, use cheap USB sticks installed with favoured configurations, deleting versions that become obsolete as needs arise. Alternatively, my solution, a couple of dozen old low capacity HDs on caddies - SATA on an external port is even easier, but more costly.
Then you have the (mostly illegal if truth be told) video downloaders. DVD-RW or USB HDs. Well known that video d/ls are rarely watched more than once or twice subsequently, and can be d/l-ed again if necessary. Wiping your illegal caches regularly would be a sound strategy anyway against a visit from the Holyweird police and their cohorts. Notwithstanding, the operators of the music and film cartels are downright stupid - they will never stop pirating; privateers are too numerous and organised crime too powerful. Despite that, all the evidence suggests that increased exposure of products increases the legitimate trade. Claiming pirated copy as putative sales is illusory - those purchase options never existed.

So, let's stop this whole issue of updating compressed .sfs files. It might work, but it's pretty dumb to attempt it on vital data. Treat vital data with the caution that reflects it's value, even if that entails actually thinking about what to do with it.
At present one perceives far too many distracting enquiries from those who haven't taken the time to grasp the intention of each developer, reasonable limitations of individual releases and proper deployment with available HW. One guy isn't even willing to open his case to verify the actual chip fitted to his board!

scsijon

frugal or not to frugal, that is the comment!

#656 Post by scsijon »

personally I have always used frugals to test and try new versions and puppies, when finally happu that all is working to my satisfaction I create a full on it's own partition. It allows me to also clean out the crud i play with while testing but will never plan to use in a real world situation.

with drive sizes being what they are now and the number of partitions you can have, i just can't see the necessity of running live on a frugal, besides I find a full install runs faster.

my five cents (no 2cents in aus anymore)

regards
scsijon
ps always have burn't at the slowest speed possible as then even an old worn cdrom can usually read it.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#657 Post by Lobster »

Regarding the Jan 6 Pet . . .
There I was changing settings and was pleased with having changed the fonts
(it is hidden beyond beyond in a scroll bar access point) when Google Chrome crashed.
Crashed and took the whole system with it. Crashed and gave me a Black screen of Death.
Got a message from Google
Comment #1 on issue 68831 by thestig@chromium.org: Puppy Linux 5.2 Black Screen Of Death
Does it still take down the computer with it if you turn off the sandbox? Please try with --no-sandbox.
Sadly I no longer have it on my system and am
loath to do free testing for Megacorps.

Provide some Goggle Tablets for Puppy testers
and might comply . . .

Google are forking the Linux kernel
Making Chromium OS only work on designated (controlled) hardware
. . . sounds a little evil to me . . .

Stay Open Guys. Stay Open.

[rant over] Normal Service is now resumed . . . :oops:
Last edited by Lobster on Sun 09 Jan 2011, 19:25, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

Re: frisbee

#658 Post by Béèm »

smil99 wrote:First of all, kudos to all those who worked tirelessly to ensure the successful release of Puppy Linux 5.2 (aka Lucid Puppy 5.2). Its a release we are all proud of.

Beem,
You may try the attached frisbee pet which I made from the one in Fluppy10. I had similar problems with the native internet connection tools in puppy and frisbee seems to do the job quite well.

Cheers.
Thank you. I just see your post now.
In the meantime I PM'ed Jemimah already.
Do I understand well, you tried it in Lucid 5.2?
Time savers:

Béèm

#659 Post by Béèm »

Béèm wrote:
playdayz wrote:Béèm , Have you tried Pwireless2 in PPM? Jemimah is developing a new wireless wizard to replace pwireless2 (in Fluppy I think) and maybe she has a pet of that. But pwireless2 might be worth a try itself. Please backup first ;-)
A while back I think I tried it, but as far as I remember I had a problem.

Jemimah's Pwireless is called Frisbee now and is in Fluppy 10, with which I didn't have a problem. Don't know if a pet is out yet.

Since I reconfigured with the Wizard and change to direct connection to internet, I didn't have a problem yet.

So I'll leave it a while to see.
This morning after boot, I had no internet. So I redid the configuration with the normal wizard. After a while I got this issue of nameserver again. A panel Address not found.....try again.
I verified and IP and nameserver entry gone. This time I insisted on pushing try again several times and finally got connected again.
The same happened somewhat later in my e-mail client. Retrying again and again my connection was there again.

So something triggers the connection to be cut and after insisting the connection is re-established automatically.

Several hours later, I am still connected correctly, no more issue.

In the meantime I saw that post of smil99 who offered a Frisbee pet.

When I get the issue again, I'll install this pet and see how thing evolute and report back.
Time savers:

Béèm

#660 Post by Béèm »

Strange Package Manager experience.
I was looking for a package of which I knew it was a ubuntu one.
I selected the ubuntu packages and did an update in PPM.
With search I found the package. Later I was it was referenced in Packages-ubuntu-lucid-universe.

More later I saw I lost 8MB of save space.
I thought it could be due to the update operation in PPM and looked in .packages directory.
I saw indeed a 8MB file with a date of 29 apr 2010 and named Packages-ubuntu-lucid-mainpre
I looked inside the file (the package I looked for earlier wasn't there) and saw the structure is quite different as follows (first entry):

Code: Select all

Package: abrowser
Priority: optional
Section: web
Installed-Size: 132
Maintainer: Ubuntu Mozilla Team <ubuntu-mozillateam@lists.ubuntu.com>
Architecture: all
Source: firefox
Version: 3.6.3+nobinonly-0ubuntu4
Replaces: abrowser-3.5, abrowser-3.6
Provides: abrowser-3.5, abrowser-3.6
Depends: firefox, abrowser-branding
Conflicts: abrowser-3.5 (<< 3.6~hg20100117r33523), abrowser-3.6 (<< 3.6~hg20100117r33523+nobinonly)
Filename: pool/main/f/firefox/abrowser_3.6.3+nobinonly-0ubuntu4_all.deb
Size: 79050
MD5sum: 109aa3010e292e951750d90d6b636122
SHA1: 23ba3fbea8c0a06619184d43f775e3d2b3ae1374
SHA256: c4cdf6cffc9f43194a9a6e52b9aa1495678f3f3c3847ef491fd5823aa5fba4a4
Description: metapackage for the unbranded abrowser
 ABrowser is an unbranded version of the popular Firefox webbrowser;
 it is written in the XUL language and designed to be lightweight and
 cross-platform.
 This is a metapackage that will point to the latest abrowser package in
 your distribution.
 Don't remove this if you want to receive automatic major version upgrades
 for this package in future.
Xul-Appid: {ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384}
Bugs: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+filebug
Origin: Ubuntu
Supported: 3y
Every package is described that way in this file.
Now I wonder where the file came from.
It wasn't there before I did the update operation.
I moved it outside .packages and redid the update operation expecting the 8MB file being created again.
It wasn't created.

So I am kinda puzzled.
I suppose this file with this structure can't be used in PPM and it is probably save to delete it, thus regaining the 8MB I lost. Correct?
Time savers: