spup-100 April 2011

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Stripe

#281 Post by Stripe »

Hi all

Have just shaved another 13mb off the sfs (now 79mb) by replacing seamonkey and flashplayer with midori 2.2.92. and it seems to be working ok, I am posting from it now and will report back after further testing.

I tried to download it from slackware but gave up after downloading 60mb of dependancies (and it still wanted more lol)

cheers

Stripe

Iguleder

#282 Post by Iguleder »

Hey guys, I just compiled a new Rox with some extra hacks :)

This one uses the vanilla Rox icons for files and directories, because Puppy's icons are a real mess. They don't allow me to create icon sets for Rox (:twisted:) and having my own package allows me to customize the pinboard - I had to add one line to change the terminal emulator to mrxvt, for instance.

If anyone is interested (especially you, 01micko), the sources are here. And my spup files for Woof are here, the only files you needs are here, no Woof customizations needed except some rare cases and they're in z_spup_something PETs I made.

Army tomorrow, gotta wake up early and it's almost 24:00, so I gotta go to sleep. I'll visit Puppy when I get home, probably next Friday :lol:

Cheers! :wink:
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

ExtremeDpup

#283 Post by ExtremeDpup »

Sound not working with Intex CM8738 pci sound card. It uses snd-cmipci module. Alsawizard finds the card but no sound. No volume icon in taskbar. Works in lupu 511 & 518.
I managed to fix the sound problem by blacklisting a bunch of snd modules in the bootmanager except snd-cmipci.

In console i entered:

modprobe snd-cmipci
depmod

Ran alsawizard and got sound!

Rebooted twice to make sure it worked. All fine now. :-)

[/quote]

ttuuxxx

#284 Post by ttuuxxx »

Iguleder wrote:Hey guys, I just compiled a new Rox with some extra hacks :)

This one uses the vanilla Rox icons for files and directories, because Puppy's icons are a real mess. They don't allow me to create icon sets for Rox (:twisted:) and having my own package allows me to customize the pinboard - I had to add one line to change the terminal emulator to mrxvt, for instance.

If anyone is interested (especially you, 01micko), the sources are here. And my spup files for Woof are here, the only files you needs are here, no Woof customizations needed except some rare cases and they're in z_spup_something PETs I made.

Army tomorrow, gotta wake up early and it's almost 24:00, so I gotta go to sleep. I'll visit Puppy when I get home, probably next Friday :lol:

Cheers! :wink:
hi Iguleder
puppy's mime icons aren't a mess, they are configured for the system mimes,
basically this how you do it, get Barry's latest rox release pet that he posted at his blog last week. Then compile Rox and replace the bin file inside Barry's package with the newer compiled one and then just change the mimes using the same names. and keep the rest of the pet package
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

Stripe

#285 Post by Stripe »

Hi 01micko

have been trying the xine libs with the gxine front end can get it to work but the full screen seems to flicker when playing video

Installed Technosarus's glib 2.22.2 pet as this had some files that were not in the main sfs and midori is running great

hope this helps
Stripe

01micko

#286 Post by 01micko »

Stripe wrote:have been trying the xine libs with the gxine front end can get it to work but the full screen seems to flicker when playing video
I did notice a problem with gxine fullscreen and I don't know if it is really a jwm bug or a gxine bug. Joe has added Patriot's fullscreen patch to the svn branch of jwm so it will be interesting if other apps perform. One notable app that formerly bugged out is stellarium, it runs ok in lupu with jwm-493 patched, I will have to try and get it running in spup.

Note that I have used xine-ui (uploaded too) .. far heavier than gxine but far nicer too. No fullscreen problems.

I am yet to compile the latest mplayer to see what they have fixed. The ffmpeg guys also do their own branch of mplayer. May be worth a look.

Your vlc compile seems to work fine at fullscreen, but it does seem to lack real (as in realplayer codec) support.

Interesting work you're doing with your trimming experiment. I don't think it would be difficult to script a program that cuts all the modules, based on what's loaded, that would be fantastic for an embedded system, or as you use it, customised for a particular PC.

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Stripe

#287 Post by Stripe »

Hi all

Thanks 01micko I am just trying to look to see if any savings in size can be made (for older/low ram machines) without affecting the quality. As well as learning how to configure/edit the sfs file. (and playing nice at the same time lol)

To start straight to the desktop only half a dozen config files need copying into the sfs (which can be done live, so no save file is needed) for the video, locale, keyboard and mouse, but if it is used on another machine it loads to the command line where xorgwizard can be run to set it up for the new hardware but the locale, keyboard remain unchanged. So I can now load my custom slackpup on any machine from usb without having to enter the locale, keyboard and clock settings.

I have been trying to compile midori in slackpup for the last 2 days and am going to give it a rest lol

Could you please post the current woof specs file for 053 (or wait till 054 if it is on the way) so I can strip it right down and try building it up again

Cheers
Stripe

01micko

#288 Post by 01micko »

Here you go Stripe

054 is a couple of days away yet :P

Cheers
Attachments
DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS-slackware-13.1.gz
(5.92 KiB) Downloaded 297 times

don570

new apps using mtpaint

#289 Post by don570 »

I made a slight change to mtpaintsnapshot that users might appreciate.
mtpaintsnapshot.sh 1.2 will open the Screenshots folder as the default when
taking a screenshot
http://www.datafilehost.com/download-cf582c86.html

Screenshotbrowser will open the Screenshots folder and edit images there
http://www.datafilehost.com/download-501053b3.html

Stripe

#290 Post by Stripe »

Hi 01micko

have just been trying the xine-ui out and you are right it is very good, only problems I found was did not play sound on a .rm video or a swf file (i am using larrys drag car test videos) it is also very good with audio even handles streamed audio very well. (so could be set as default audio and default CD player as well to offset the size?)

but it outperforms gxine and mplayer hands down and I may not install vlc straight away I think its that good. even with the size I would be happy for it to be included as default, what does everybody else think?

I will go and test it on the 800mhz box now

Cheers

01micko

#291 Post by 01micko »

Ok, well I got mplayer compiled linked to the system ffmpeg, that means if you try this pet you need the latest ffmpeg I compiled late last year (about a week ago!)

http://www.brainwavedesigncentral.net/m ... 1-i686.pet

It has the gui and isn't too huge, I basically followed Barry's instructions for the 'dark art' of compiling mplayer, sorry, no mencoder.

Next is ogle, see how we go :lol: :roll:

Cheers

Stripe

#292 Post by Stripe »

Hi all

Downloaded and installed the mplayer as well as the ffmpeg 101-230 and the ffmpeg-dev from 01micko's brainwaves/spup but still getting libx264.so.107 missing, have had a look and cant find it yet

have been trying other wm but nothing as good as jwm yet (icewm comes closest). Have been using jwm with 4 desktops and no problems.

Have found a #make localmodconfig command to configure the kernel, but still inserts unneeded moudules. could the kernel (have barrys pre patched source sfs) be compiled with the dot.config file from wary 5 to reduce the modules from 50mb to 20mb that it is in wary 5? (only an idea lol)

cheers

Brown Mouse

#293 Post by Brown Mouse »

Stripe wrote:Hi all

Downloaded and installed the mplayer as well as the ffmpeg 101-230 and the ffmpeg-dev from 01micko's brainwaves/spup but still getting libx264.so.107 missing, have had a look and cant find it yet

have been trying other wm but nothing as good as jwm yet (icewm comes closest). Have been using jwm with 4 desktops and no problems.

Have found a #make localmodconfig command to configure the kernel, but still inserts unneeded moudules. could the kernel (have barrys pre patched source sfs) be compiled with the dot.config file from wary 5 to reduce the modules from 50mb to 20mb that it is in wary 5? (only an idea lol)

cheers
Hi Stripe

Could I ask you,which icewm version might be best to use?

DaveS

#294 Post by DaveS »

Oh SH*T I like this! Just downloaded the iso from the front page and installed. Nothing from threads at the moment, and what do you know.. Seamonkey scroll bug is NOT present. Is in Wary, so have to conclude Wary Seamonkey aint quite right.
And oh I LOVE the way this does NOT boot straight to desktop :)
Opera runs fine.
Gnumeric 1.10.6 is OLD.
Transparency works, it dont in Wary
Screen dim keys (Fn) work, they dont in Lucid
Abiword is more or less OK
Whatever plug-in plays mp4 within browser works fine
Cool so far
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

DaveS

#295 Post by DaveS »

Huh! What is with the password thing for CUPS! Thought we left that behind years ago.................
root
woofwoof

And woof woof to you :)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

01micko

#296 Post by 01micko »

Stripe

Here's the link you need, it has been there all the time :P
http://www.brainwavedesigncentral.net/m ... 5-i686.pet
There's a dev pkg too if you need it
http://www.brainwavedesigncentral.net/m ... 5-i686.pet

################

Brown Mouse

The lucid version of Icewm should work ok.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Dave S

I am picking off old stuff one by one, updating to the latest stable or svn snapshots. Gnumeric is on the list :) , I'll have to get some tips off of ttuuxxx to compile it as I've never tried to compile Gnumeric before.

Cups password was an oversight! :oops: I'll get onto that too.

BTW, I compiled Seamonkey according to Barry's instructions except dbus is enabled, dev package is available too (on devx)

Cheers

MinHundHettePerro

#297 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

Hello there, fellow slack-woofers :)!

(Preamble (mine :oops: :?)
Trial & error is, normally, your best teacher - and I do loathe to rtfm, if I'd feel I'd better read the fm, there's most likely something amiss in the intuitiveness (?) of whatever program or UI I'd be trying to run/cope with).

On selection of mother-distro to woof a pup from:
I would have so liked to woof up a deb-squeeze (sad to say, though, that deb-squeeze itself did not run well on my gear, save for a few instantaneous moments in their development - besides, the efforts of prominent pup-developers, like gposil & Iguleder, although very refined, did not always run on my gear, which was most probably due to the incompatibility of deb-squeeze and my gear).

Ubuntu - I never really got on with the *buntus, save for Lubuntu. That said, I do run and appreciate Puppy Lucid.

Arch - not my cup of tea.

T2 .........., that's what all the quirkies/waries/puplets are for, and they're done better than they'd be done by me.

rpm-based distros, openSUSE - not yet in woof, besides, my experience with SUSE was a sluggish (KDE) one, and my latest Red-hat encounter was some 7 years ago : )

So, slackware it is :D!

Anyway:

Having decided on slackware as the mother-lode for my woof attempts, I built a few that were working well - posting from one of them now -, and some, not so fruitous attempts.

Main question:
Building frequently (trial & error is my preferred method, if you recall), I would have appreciated the ability to include a fully downloaded, local directory, of e.g. slack's repo into the woof-build. Is there any way you woofers know about to achieve that, or do I need to hack the .../support/inline_*-scripts???

Rambling, am I - no, not yet :).

Cheers :)/
MHHP
[color=green]Celeron 2.8 GHz, 1 GB, i82845, many ptns, modes 12, 13
Dual Xeon 3.2 GHz, 1 GB, nvidia quadro nvs 285[/color]
Slackos & 214X, ... and Q6xx
[color=darkred]Nämen, vaf....[/color] [color=green]ln -s /dev/null MHHP[/color]

Stripe

#298 Post by Stripe »

Hi all

sorry I will not be able to help for a while till I can get this problem sorted. I like a os to do what I want, not what someone else wants it to do :lol: :lol: (thats why I gave up with ms)

I am stripping all of the woof installed packages until I can find the one that likes to make connections that I dont want to make. (I am starting with a clean copy of the spup 053)

I have already tried a different os (no problem), different pc, different router and a different broadband provider (in another house). and it is still happening with standard versions of 053 and 511 and no other operating system. (so it is all pointing to something inside puppy).

its strange using another operating system, but until I know what is causing the problem and fixing it I am not letting puppy anywhere near the net.

Cheers

Stripe

nooby

#299 Post by nooby »

Stripe I could be wrong but I vaguely remember that there are versions of Puppy that don't do that 174..... thing if that is what you refer to?

Sadly I don't remember which it was and I am too lazy to fire up all the puppies just to tell you which one it where? Sorry

My gut feeling says it could be Fluppy but I would have to test it first because gut feelings are just a feeling.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

01micko

#300 Post by 01micko »

Too bad Stripe :( .. I hope you get to the bottom of it, there is more around the forum on that topic, I can't put my finger on it, hope you find what your looking for :wink:

MHHP, maybe you can just make a script converting the slack repos in PACKAGES_SPECS_TABLE format and paste that into DISTRO_PACKAGES_SPECS :? .. well something like that!

Ok, I have been trying to solve the stupid stop button issue with Ogle dvd player.. man isn't that a wild goose chase! It goes right back into the ogle cli... I just aint good enough with C to solve this one!

Nevertheless, Ogle is a pretty good lite dvd app and I managed to hack the source to compile against the current libdvdnav :D

Here's the packages: Now for the patched source:

http://www.brainwavedesigncentral.net/m ... 106.tar.gz

Have fun!

Cheers