Insidious Puppy 001

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
James C

#181 Post by James C »

Further update, tried on another box with a Nvidia 8400 GS card.....won't start X on that one either.
Anyone having success with a Nvidia card?

nooby

#182 Post by nooby »

James apology for my stupid question. You do write xwin at the prompt to get it starting after it has set the xorgwizard don't you? Just in case.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

James C

#183 Post by James C »

nooby wrote:James apology for my stupid question. You do write xwin at the prompt to get it starting after it has set the xorgwizard don't you? Just in case.
No apology necessary because sometimes it is a simple little thing that leads to a bigger problem.
I tried entering "xwin" and "xwin jwm" .....X just doesn't start. Works fine with Intel graphics though.

pemasu

#184 Post by pemasu »

xserver-xorg-video-nouveau_0.0.15+git20100329+7858345-5_i386.deb
xserver-xorg-video-nv_2.1.17-3_i386.deb
Debian sid uses these for nvidia. Unfortunately i dont have any nvidia cards.

I tried sid woof build using Iguleders brand new kernel 2.6.36.2 but choosing intel driver ended up to same situation than with James C. Starting X just hangs. It is like in those KMS introducing phase before I realized to add: i915.modeset=1 to menu.lst in kernel boot row.

nooby

#185 Post by nooby »

pemasu, thanks for takign up this thing with Intel 915 chips.

i915.modeset=1

What should that one be used? I've seen it many times now and fail to get what it is suppose to set up or prevent to happen.

pemasu

#186 Post by pemasu »

Intel
Create a file /etc/modprobe.d/i915-kms.conf:
options i915 modeset=1

Radeon
Create file /etc/modprobe.d/radeon-kms.conf:
options radeon modeset=1
These are in /etc/modprobe.d
Nvidia
Create file /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-kms.conf:
options nouveau modeset=1
This is lacking, it might cause of hanging with X.

You could create that lacking file or give in menu.lst kernel boot parameter: "nouveau.modeset=1" in kernel row.

Kernel mode setting demand is kernel dependent and newer kernels have changed and improved functionality for it. It is behavior for intel, ati and nvidia graphics.

I will build updated Insidious 002 if solution is found.

Iguleder

#187 Post by Iguleder »

I recompiled the kernel, you should try it. Mouse problems should be gone.

And by the way - I found Nouveau to be problematic on Puppy - X did not start on my 002 builds, that's why I got so frustrated about it. Now I just compile my kernels without it and add nvidia drivers to PPM.

EDIT: pemasu, linux_kernel-2.6.36.2-spup-1
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

pemasu

#188 Post by pemasu »

Hey Iguleder, thanks for clarification. Nouveau problem is real then. To get solution for it would be fine. Unfortunately i dont have Nvidia graphics. Could someone send me one to Finland. :) :)

And I will give a shot to your recompiled 2.6.36.2 kernel.

And it is fine that you have time to follow and instruct with your spare time. And remember to show them, before they show you.

pemasu

#189 Post by pemasu »

In wary thread earlier 01micko announced Nvidia drivers for Barrys 2.6.35.7 kernel, Insidious 002 test build has 2.6.35.7. Not the same compile though.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 019#457019

James C

#190 Post by James C »

I finally found some free time and now have Insidious 002 working on my Nvidia box.Running live, booted" Puppy pfix=ram nomodeset" ..... at Xorgwizard used "choose" and chose the nv driver and now running 1440x900x24 as desired.
As already pointed out the nouveau driver just causes problems in Puppy.

VIDEO REPORT: Insidious Puppy, version 002

Chip description:
oem: NVidia
product: NV18 () Board Chip Rev A2

Driver used by Xorg:
nv

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth 16 Depth: "Display"

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video
#

# glxgears
511 frames in 5.0 seconds = 102.158 FPS
660 frames in 5.0 seconds = 131.970 FPS
674 frames in 5.0 seconds = 134.732 FPS
662 frames in 5.0 seconds = 132.265 FPS
683 frames in 5.0 seconds = 136.468 FPS

VGA compatible controller : nVidia Corporation NV18 [GeForce4 MX 440 AGP 8x]

Now that I have it working, I'll test a little bit. :)

#191 Post by 106498 »

Thank you for making this puppy!!!

This is the first puppy that supports all my hardware, but does not cause everything to temporarily freeze after 5s to 1minute of inactivity.
Which means that I can actually play music!

On top of that the suspend button works!

This is on a Toshiba nb200 netbook. Intel n280 processor, atheros wireless, alc272 sound.

To enable sound had to add a line to etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf: "options snd-hda-intel model=auto"

Problems:

I can't seem to enable clicking by tapping the mousepad using the flsyncclient.

Also sometimes when closing a maximised window some of the writing under some of the desktop icons flashes on and off. Also sometimes happens when switching desktops. It goes away by covering the icons (maximised window).

Furthermore when a jwm menu is opened by right-clicking on the desktop, then the next two clicks on the desktop aren't registered. The third can select an icon as usual.

And last of all I can't get any of the debian mirrors to show in the package manager. The puppy-4 mirror does work.
[color=green]An expert is just a beginner with experience.[/color]
Shamelessly representing [url=http://www.tdem.co.nz]TdeM[/url]!

nooby

#192 Post by nooby »

Iguleder wrote:I recompiled the kernel, you should try it. Mouse problems should be gone.
[/url]
I hope you could upload an iso file with Gray that has the new compiled kernel it was in Gray many of us had the mouse total failure.

I have had no problem in inpu as I remember.

pemasu

#193 Post by pemasu »

James C: Hey great, that is good news. I was afraid I had something wrong with my kernel.

106498: I dont know if you refer to my build. If you do, then kernel 2.6.35.7 and laptop goodies in Insidious 002 works with you.

Insidious 002 has jwm2-493-patched-q1 as jwm version. 01micko has made newer jwm500 which could be good choice to try. I have been thinking in compiling 2.6.35.7 in Insidious to make it work even better. I tried 2.6.35.7 also with squeeze 009 specs and it was snappier than older dpup 008 build which had strange behavior sometimes. Recompiling the kernel for dpups might be worth of it. I couldnt get even the newer Iguleders 2.6.36.2 second compile kernel work with dpups. Intel and Ati didnt work, only vesa driver. It isnt ready yet to change kernel to this newer pick.

James C

#194 Post by James C »

pemasu wrote:James C: Hey great, that is good news. I was afraid I had something wrong with my kernel.
Since I got 002 working with Nvidia, I went ahead and did a frugal install.Been testing for a couple of hours and it looks solid and fast. :)
The only little problem was that the Flash downloader didn't download anything.........I just installed it manually.Otherwise, no problems to report.

pemasu

#195 Post by pemasu »

Thanks. It was Iguleders Firefox pet. I need to extract the pet and check the url link which is called. Flashplayer is still in the Iguleders repo.

http://brainwavedesigncentral.net/dima/ ... 102.64.pet

And the newer one:
http://brainwavedesigncentral.net/dima/ ... 151.49.pet

pemasu

#196 Post by pemasu »

106498: Did you notice that in Flsynclient left button is disabled. You need to activate it also. Just moving tapping time to about 200 is not enough to activate tap to click. on tapping section > One finger, select left button
Last edited by pemasu on Mon 03 Jan 2011, 16:20, edited 1 time in total.

pemasu

#197 Post by pemasu »

About flasplayer semiautomatic download. It was Barrys zzz_scripts_simple_bk-20101227.pet which he used for wary 5 and was included to Insidious 002. Delayedrun in it handles the latest flashplayer download straight from adobe download site. And it works for me.

If it give you failing and you were connected to the net when the download message comes, you can check if you have /var/local/internetsuccess file. If you have, you can delete it and restart X. You should get flashplayer download message again when you start firefox.

I fix the repo packages files. I didnt check in which condition the Packages-* files were.

pemasu

#198 Post by pemasu »

I reuploaded Insidious 002. I added to /etc/modprobe.d KMS settings for intel, nouveau and radeon. I also recompiled kernel 2.6.35.7 in Insidious. Probably wasnt necessary. I added working Packages-* for sid packages and also added Iguleders packages-puppy-sid-official in it.
Minor things only. Iso is now smaller: 167 Mb > 159 Mb. None of the previous apps is removed.

nooby

#199 Post by nooby »

Does Insidious 002 have the RFKILL that Fluppy and Snowy has which most likely is whey they boot so reliably on my Acer?

Insidious 001 booted many many times and then suddenly failed so I am using Snowy now and have Fluppy as a reserve should I also make use of Insidious 002?

Kind of confusing to shift between three OS all the time. :)

pemasu

#200 Post by pemasu »

Insidious 002 has rfkill enabled in kernel. Just like in Fluppy and Snow Puppy. Rfkill is mainly useful for shutting wireless, like for saving battery or going to airplane. I dont believe it makes distro any hardware friendly. Rfkill has been enabled also in most Iguleders builds.