Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 20 Dec 2014, 01:29
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Lucid Puppy 5.2 Official Release JAN 5 2011
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 30 of 71 [1064 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, ..., 69, 70, 71 Next
radky

PostPosted: Sun 02 Jan 2011, 18:29    Post subject:
Subject description: tuxcommander

ttuuxxx wrote:

Hi I spent a couple of hours on it, it uses freepascal compiler which is a very large pain on puppy, Its about 50 packages that you have to compile and install, I did the ones that were actually needed and then still had errors, so then I tried all ubuntu packages and the same, then I tried a precompiled bin and it worked just fine, So here's a link to it, just click on it and extract it then click on the bin. http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/tuxcmd/tuxcmd-0.6.70-bin-i386.tar.bz2?download
ttuuxxx

ttuuxxx,

Thank you for taking time from your busy schedule to answer my request, and I apologize for sending you on a circular journey. Smile

When linked to available plug-in modules, Tuxcommander is actually quite capable and is similar in form and function to the Total Commander file manager of Windows fame. I’m sure many forum members will find it useful in Lucid-5.2.

Thanks again!
ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Sun 02 Jan 2011, 18:31    Post subject:  

playdayz wrote:
ttuuxxx, I understand automake going into the devx. I still need to know if your cmake is a replacement or a supplement. Thanks.

Its a 100% replacement for the broken Cmake in the devx.
ttuuxxx

Jades

PostPosted: Sun 02 Jan 2011, 18:33    Post subject:  

Been experimenting with upgrading my 511 frugal on the K6 machine to 519. I made a copy of the existing frugal to a new directory, then manually upgraded it by copying the 519 initrd.gz, vmlinuz and lupu-519.sfs files to it. Used Grub4Dos Config to point at it and rebooted. After going through the update process it got to a usable desktop and brought up the Personalize Settings dialogue. Uninstalled a couple of update Pets which were no longer needed due to those versions being in 519 and rebooted again and it still works. Only thing that didn't make the transition smoothly was Pwidgets 2.3.1, which I had to uninstall and reinstall.

Next to see if the update process from 511 to 519 works with the LiveCD install on the Pentium D machine - had some problems with 518.

James C

PostPosted: Sun 02 Jan 2011, 18:37    Post subject:  

playdayz wrote:
Quote:
Lets see..... Yes, 511 was using icewm.
I copied the existing 511 lupusave.2fs into a directory with the new vmlinuz,initrd.gz and lupu_519.sfs. Booted into 519 and upgraded.
No, didn't have lxde installed.

JamesC, did you use the patch 01micko sent you?

Yes indeed. Tested 2 ways.First, having Icewm active in 511 and secondly having JWM as the wm in 511. Manually copying the save file into the directory containing the 519 files.
Sent 01micko a detailed pm....seems to still be problems if icewm is the wm in 511, the JWM upgrade went much, much better.
Actually, getting ready to try again(testing).....patched 519 files and the 511 save file with JWM as the default wm.
01micko

PostPosted: Sun 02 Jan 2011, 18:59    Post subject:  

Hi James C

I sent your report to playdayz

For some weird reason things seem to go better if you boot off the cd. I'm trying to figure out why.

Thanks for testing.

Cheers

James C

PostPosted: Sun 02 Jan 2011, 19:05    Post subject:  

01micko wrote:
Hi James C

I sent your report to playdayz

For some weird reason things seem to go better if you boot off the cd. I'm trying to figure out why.

Thanks for testing.

Cheers

Just did another test upgrade as detailed in the above post.
Booted into Openbox. Set the timezone and numlock.X restarted. Switched to JWM.........all looks good except my Pwidgets....only the clock appears to work.All other preinstalled apps seem good.
Going to reinstall Icewm......that's where the trouble started last time, but I'll reboot first.
James C

PostPosted: Sun 02 Jan 2011, 19:20    Post subject:  

Rebooted. Uninstalled Pwidgets 2.2.7 and reinstalled same with Quickpet. Working correctly.
Reinstalled Icewm with the PPM. WM Switcher worked...in Icewm now.Guess I'd say the upgrade was successful this time. Smile
ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Sun 02 Jan 2011, 19:29    Post subject:  

you know what would be a good addition, FFConvert, its only a 20kb pet, I would like to see the auto close after the converting removed, Its a pain. Hmmm maybe I'll do it if I get some time. Should be easy.
I downloaded this gtk game sources and compiled it, The overall size was large because it was using wav files and one default background music wav file was 5MB, so I went to creative commons music site and found a nice loop for the background music, It was a 216kb mp3 but when I converted it to wav by using FFConvert it was 1500kb, same with mhwavedit and then I went to this site http://audio.online-convert.com/convert-to-wav
I tried different settings and well it worked excellent, I managed to get down to 376kb WOW, what a savings. Should almost have a link in the multimedia section to it Smile http://ccmixter.org/files/Nurykabe/29614 and the sound file and the download for it is, http://ccmixter.org/content/Nurykabe/Nurykabe_-_101210_seq_01.mp3
I'll post the game in a bit Smile
ttuuxxx

Béèm

Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

PostPosted: Sun 02 Jan 2011, 19:52    Post subject:  

Loosing connection
With the 516 and while in a holiday resort I still had the issue I reported before that the nameserver entry in /etc/resolv.conf just disappears, resulting in a browser message 'try again'
I had this quite often, but blamed first the connection.

Then I installed there Light House 500G. I didn't have the issue anymore.
So I went to 516 again and immediately I had that issue.

I didn't report it here yet as I saw new versions had come out.
So now I am in 519 and just got the issue.
The nameserver entry in /etc/resolv.conf had disappeared.
I pushed 'try again' for several times and all of a sudden I got the next screens of the site I was in.
I rechecked the nameserver entry in /etc/resolv.conf again and it was there again.

Once a connection is made, does the WiFi support try to reconnect?

In any case, I use Fluppy and now Wary 5.0 also and I don't have this issue and as stated with Light House 500G neither.

This is something which worries me.

Use peppyy's puppysearch
bigpup

PostPosted: Sun 02 Jan 2011, 19:54    Post subject:  

From Barry's blog:

There are fundamental problems with upgrading a save-file, such as it breaks things.
It is the way that the /etc/rc.d/rc.update script works.
If you install an upgrade PET for a Puppy Linux core program, when the save-file is upgraded to a newer version of Puppy Linux, many of the files get reverted to the "official" ones -- result, that program may not work.
Example:
Had previously upgraded to the latest "Adobe Flash Player", upgraded the save file to a newer version of Puppy Linux, and "Adobe Flash Player" also got reverted to the "official" one.
These are not new problems, they have been there since Puppy started.
Béèm

Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

PostPosted: Sun 02 Jan 2011, 20:14    Post subject: upgrading  

I never really understood that when upgrading all of a sudden I got the message 'reverting to official ones' That didn't seem to me to be the concept of upgrading.
After having had some bad experiences, I didn't upgrade anymore.
'My core programs' are outside the save file and I work with a minimal save file of 32MB.

Use peppyy's puppysearch
ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Sun 02 Jan 2011, 21:14    Post subject:  

Okay here's a game called SpaceZero, Its actually pretty good once you get to know how to play it, Just remember you need to press the "o" key to get the bottom menu where you type which function you want to do.
I made to 2 packages, one with the background CC music playing and one with background music removed. Just to save space I guess.
I also download the website, it was 340kb and opened it with Kompozer and made just for a users how-to-manual, the new size is 52kb extract, lol so you'll get the offline help in the game menu.
enjoy
ttuuxxx
http://spacezero.sourceforge.net/index.html
spacezero-0.76.1-i386.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  spacezero-0.76.1-i386.pet 
Filesize  482.42 KB 
Downloaded  422 Time(s) 
spacezero_NoMusic-0.76.1-i386.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  spacezero_NoMusic-0.76.1-i386.pet 
Filesize  180.19 KB 
Downloaded  416 Time(s) 

Jades

PostPosted: Sun 02 Jan 2011, 22:35    Post subject:  

Still testing upgrading the existing lupusave from the 5.1.1 LiveCD install on the Pentium D machine to 519. I did manage to get one attempt to work, other than the previously reported thing with having to reinstall PWidgets, but the last two attempts went wrong with the machine being unable to see either the onboard ethernet or the USB wireless adaptor. Will copy the backed-up 5.1.1 save and double-check it still works with 5.1.1 in case something's happened to it.

Test upgrade of a 5.1.1 frugal to Lupu-519 is still working on the K6 so far.

nooby

PostPosted: Sun 02 Jan 2011, 23:22    Post subject:  

Playdayz,

When I made use of the symlink from mnt/home back to root then it failed to boot despite having booted some 10 times in a row before I made that one? But that could be unrelated due to it failed to boot even when doing pfix=ram so it seems to be some other factor that kick in. Maybe the
RFKILL thing that makes Fluppy work each time is the major factor.

I fail to get why a lack of that one would be that devastating.

Would it be difficult to include the RFKILL into Lupu-520?

Last edited by nooby on Mon 03 Jan 2011, 07:51; edited 1 time in total
mikeslr

PostPosted: Sun 02 Jan 2011, 23:31    Post subject: Reappearing Desktop Icons on reboot after Savefile  

Hi all,
Just started tinkering with 519. Downloaded ISO --not delta-- and unpacked required files into a new directory. Hand-modified Grub4Dos' Menu.lst (copied 517's entry, changing directories as appropriate, and pfix=fsck to pfix=ram) and rebooted into 519. No problem. All apps relating to setup worked well.
I like a clean desktop, so I usually remove all but about 5 desktop icons. I'm almost certain I did that before shutting down and creating a Savefile. Almost, because I didn't boot into 519 for a couple of hours. (I doubt it matters, but now that the pupsaveconfig pet exists, I installed it in order to have the Savefile in Ext3). At any rate, after changing the pfix=ram in Menu.lst to pfix=fsck, when I rebooted the desktop icons I had removed --I think('Embarassed')-- were back. Has anyone else experienced this? If not, I'll assume my memory is playing tricks. Until next time. No biggy. Just thought you should know.

mikesLr
Page 30 of 71 [1064 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, ..., 69, 70, 71 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: