Lucid Puppy 5.2 Official Release JAN 5 2011

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
ttuuxxx

#401 Post by ttuuxxx »

Here's a homebank with OFX support, and all the extra's included, Probably best for a repo item :)
I usually only make this package around once every couple of years.
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

tubeguy

#402 Post by tubeguy »

morgonzola wrote:hey there i just recently installed this puppy on my sisters girlfriends dell latitude D400 and it works great

however there is one problem i found and that is when you close the lid everything freezes and turns to black screen with a mouse cursor and you cant do anything or quit to command line. the only option is to hold down the power button and shut down/reboot.

is there some microswitch in there that is telling it to sleep but puppy is not actually sleeping?

is there a workaround for this?
I remember something similar happening to me and it had to do with ~.etc/acpi/events. I don't see that folder on my system but maybe on yours it's there. If I remember correctly I just took out the lid switch stuff. YMMV.
[b]Tahr Pup 6 on desktop, Lucid 3HD on lappie[/b]

morgonzola

#403 Post by morgonzola »

yea thats the same problem i have. there is tons of documentation on stuff with /etc/acpi and all that but it does not exist?

i know its possible to do acpitool -s (after you download it of course) and then close but i wanna get it so the lid doesn't screw it up every time you close so its easier for this person im trying to convert :wink:

any other ideas? im trying out some stuff like the acpid pet that's floating around.

playdayz

#404 Post by playdayz »

i've read once quickpet should have a compiz link update
but still don't see it, so if you want to link this pet (with xfce 4.6.2 tested works fine in Lupu-519 RC2) in quickpet also ....

http://www.smokey01.com/01micko/lupu520 ... -Lucid.pet

and pmusic 1.5.1 to update from zigbert (below)
Thanks flexxx, that helps us keep up!

---------------------------------------------------
HomebankOFX, thanks ttuuxxx, that sis one for the repo.

nooby

#405 Post by nooby »

PlayDayz, hope it is okay to ask.

Fluppy boot each time.
Lupu only boots if one have booted fluppy or snowy puppy first.

Can one somehow borrow the ability to boot from Fluppy and make use of it in Lupu.

Pemasu borrowed Jemimah's drivers and so on and made Snowy Puppy and that one boots each time too. The only two out of some 20 Puppy that do boot each time.

Would it not be great if one could borrow from Fluppy that capacity and add that to Lupu?

I am not alone having small Netbooks like Acer Aspire One and all of these seems a bit different to each other and my D250 seems among the tricky ones.

What do you say?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

shinobar

Sylpheed online documents

#406 Post by shinobar »

Attached the Sylpheed online document kit.
Replace whole the directory '/usr/share/doc/sylpheed-doc' with the attached(4.8kB after extract).
Supported languages: Germany, Spanish, English, French and Japanese.
Unfortunately, Italian FAQ is unavailable.
Last edited by shinobar on Sun 02 Jan 2011, 06:14, edited 2 times in total.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

James C

#407 Post by James C »

Manual upgrade of frugal install from 511 to 519.
Booted into Openbox as expected, internet, sound and display good. No Icewm, unable to start.
"Exit to prompt" in the menu....does nothing. The only widget able to run is the clock.
All other apps I'd previously installed appear to be working correctly though.

EDIT:
Decided to just get rid of the save file and try again.
Last edited by James C on Sun 02 Jan 2011, 05:48, edited 1 time in total.

scsijon

lupu519 problems

#408 Post by scsijon »

hi, found a couple of problems for you.

1/ Upgrade of a Frugal 517.

allowed it to do as it wanted to create a working upgraded system, then went to run my already installed applications, it wouldn't.
checked ppm, they were no longer there!
checked /tmp for user-installed-packages file from .packages to copy back (figured that must have been overwritten), nogo not in there, neither was any of the other upgrade replaced files from /root/.packages!

2/ New frugal into a box with an ati video which uses the radeon driver ok

a) with choice or probe it refused to install the driver, insisted on using xvesa.

b) decided to reboot and try and use pfix=ram,nox and go from there

it did the keyboard settting and dropped to a #
-tried xorgwizard
-just got another #

rebooted and tried again in case I didn't do something right
-same result

tried with poweroff and cold start
-same result, wouldn't run xorgwizard

let it go to the # and typed xwin
- it went on from there as if I had already run the config and accepted it's settings. hm, !script problem somewhere

3/ Suspect this May be a pwidgets problem not yours, but can only move the clock around the desktop, since I keep my "hotapps" buttons on the right side this is a detrament to using them, it even covers your three defaults over.

over to you... :P I fear

oh, yes, the default font in the browsers are back to being horrible

James C

#409 Post by James C »

James C wrote:Manual upgrade of frugal install from 511 to 519.
Booted into Openbox as expected, internet, sound and display good. No Icewm, unable to start.
"Exit to prompt" in the menu....does nothing. The only widget able to run is the clock.

EDIT:
Went through the entire exercise again, same result.....failure.Wiping the save file and using as a fresh frugal of 519.

jemimah

#410 Post by jemimah »

nooby wrote:PlayDayz, hope it is okay to ask.

Fluppy boot each time.

Can one somehow borrow the ability to boot from Fluppy and make use of it in Lupu.

Pemasu borrowed Jemimah's drivers and so on and made Snowy Puppy and that one boots each time too. The only two out of some 20 Puppy that do boot each time.

Would it not be great if one could borrow from Fluppy that capacity and add that to Lupu?

I am not alone having small Netbooks like Acer Aspire One and all of these seems a bit different to each other and my D250 seems among the tricky ones.

What do you say?
I think the relevant thing Snowy and Fluppy have in common is RFKILL support in the kernel.

James C

#411 Post by James C »

James C wrote:
James C wrote:Manual upgrade of frugal install from 511 to 519.

EDIT:
Went through the entire exercise again, same result.....failure.Wiping the save file and using as a fresh frugal of 519.
End results....... 2 upgrade attempts from 511 to 519 failed.....now a fresh frugal of 519 is working perfectly.No problems yet.
Quick edit:
Had installed and switched to Icewm........rebooted and was in Openbox. :?
WM Switcher to change to Icewm and I got JWM. WM Switcher again and finally got to Icewm which is running now. Just now changed wm's a couple of times and seems to be good now.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#412 Post by Lobster »

In Lupu 519 having upgraded

The background was retained this time but not the icons
or the browser

the browser was not retained when upgrading from 517 to 518
Tried from menu, icons and wbar (wbar was retained)

Code: Select all

# firefox
/usr/lib/firefox/firefox-bin: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libdbus-glib-1.so.2: undefined symbol: dbus_watch_get_unix_fd
Thanks guys :)
Happy New Year
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Billtoo

Lupu-519 Release Candidate 2 released JAN 1

#413 Post by Billtoo »

I backed up my 7.5 gb save file and downloaded the 519.iso and used
pburn to blank a cd-rw and burn the 519.iso.
I booted up the new cd and it upgraded my save file to 519 (see
screenshot).
I rebooted again (but I hadn't thought to rerun grub4dos) and it seems
to have upgraded my 519 to 515.

The screenshots have the time that they were taken in the name, one
before the first upgrade and the next two on the next two bootups.

I guess I'll need to bootup with the live cd again and see what I get
next.

Forgetting to rerun grub4dos after the first upgrade has thrown a wrench into
the works I guess.

Edit: I've managed to restore my original 515 save file after re-installing 515 which wasn't easy,back to where I was a couple of hours ago.

Upgrading turned out to be a bit of a nightmare for me, I'm going to start with a fresh frugal install of 519, or maybe wait for the final release and start fresh with that.
Last edited by Billtoo on Sun 02 Jan 2011, 09:21, edited 2 times in total.

nooby

#414 Post by nooby »

jemimah wrote:
nooby wrote:PlayDayz, hope it is okay to ask.

Fluppy boot each time.

Jemimah says:
I think the relevant thing Snowy and Fluppy have in common is RFKILL support in the kernel.
That figures indeed. You comment on one thread this
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 299#482299
One thing I always add to the shutdown script is "rfkill unblock all". Most puppies have rfkill support disabled so it doesn't matter for them. But Fluppy and I think some of Iguleder's, and Pemasu's puplets have it enabled.

The problem is if you shutdown with RF blocked, it actually disables the NIC in the BIOS. If the next OS you boot isn't RF-switch aware, the networking hardware on some machines will not be properly detected during boot.
Yes that is why it is so unpredictable. It depends on what I booted before. That it kills the nic has happen often. Sometimes one need to take the battery and power plug out to get the ethernet card back so it is seen by the boot up software. Very annoying.

So if your RFKILL addition could be added to Lupu that would enhance Lupu indeed.

Edit As you all know I have very vague knowledge of the inner working of an OS and on what goes on when it boots.

I guess it is some kind of script that do things based on feedback it get from the hardware?

So it send out activation requests and listen for some kind of acknowledgement and pattern in the answer? and decide or write some error to the log or to the console?

I don't doubt that RFKILL has some role in it. The errors with the failure to get connection sure is there at times.

But when it fail to boot at exact same place again and again then this RFKill seem kind of unlikely factor to me? Unless something in the script test for that Ethernet card at that same spot.

b43-pci-bridge ... a lot of text I was too lazy to write down and the line end with IRQ16

Am I too wild then in my guess that it has to do with competition to get that IRQ 16 and that the added RFKILL think makes the "run" for to catch the IRQ 16 works faster or slower in Fluppy and that that explain why that OS never fails and why inpu only failed once in say 20 boots and why Luci failed almost every time and booted maybe one out of ten failures and why Snowy still has not failed.

The reason I think this way is that it can fail to boot from a cold start but can boot from a reboot that I've done in Fluppy and then the hardware is warm and that makes it faster or slower and the IRQ 16 is won by the right hardware or software?

Because to my surprise the test I do now with Lupu-519 boots each time.

the differences I have done here is that I have accepted 800x600 and not tried to force it to use 1024x768 and I ahve not made a symlink to mnt/home to Firefox and I have done a fresh frugal install and not an upgrade from 518

So could not that be the better answer to why it don't fail now? I mean if I let it be unchanged now for say ten times more boots.

And then suppose I make a new install and tehre force it to 1024x768 a do the symlink and then it fails 8times out of ten would that not say it is more likely the competition to catch this IRQ 16 going on.

Can one not write something in the kernel line that change something in the boot timing so the IRQ 16 is slower or faster?

I am testing that now by changing the kernel line by adding this to it

pmedia=scsihd and that is the only change I've done to the menu.lst and maybe that is the real answer why it now boots each time and not that I let be of the 1024x768 or the symlink that I usually do???

Last edited by nooby on Sun 02 Jan 2011, 12:15, edited 2 times in total.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

phdzaps

lupu519 initial wireless connection

#415 Post by phdzaps »

With a fresh frugal install of lupu519, upon initial boot, one is presented with the opportunity to connect via wireless using the simple network connection.

The simple network connection however always fails to provide a connection to my network which uses WPA2. The "failed to connect" messages to not suggest using the desktop "connect" route and then using the network connection wizard which, for my network, does work properly. I believe in this initial setup the option should be provided to go this route, or the error message should be modified to include this alternative. This failure is not unique with 519: it has consistently failed to work with WPA2 for each of the releases.

Thanks for your hard work in producing this release!

Sylvander

#416 Post by Sylvander »

1. Working in Lupu-519 RC2 [lupusave on HDD] having successfully updated both the HDD & Flash Drive lupusaves.
All looking good and doing "what it says on the tin". :D 8)

2. Changes/re-configs that needed to be made:
(a) Changed /etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown file [only needed for lupusave on Flash Drive] to be restored to altered version.
I keep a copy of the new version, so that's easy to do.

(b) Had to re-install Firefox-3.6.6 and update it to 3.6.13, then...

(c) Re-sync the Firefox bookmarks using "Firefox sync" to download bookmarks on the web to overwrite those in the browser.
Worked a treat! :D
Thank goodness, 'cause I'd only just recently tidied/re-organised them.
If this hadn't worked the new tidy arrangement would have been lost.

3. Lupu seems to be able to do the following perfectly when most other Puppies don't:
i.e. ALL partitions [of connected/powered devices] are being detected and displayed on the desktop. :D 8)

sszindian

Back 'again' to 517

#417 Post by sszindian »

Back to 517

I encountered this problem back when trying to update from 517 to 518 now the same problem trying to update from 517 to 519...

-------------------------------------------------
Performing a 'switch_root' to the layered filesystem... Kernel Panic - Not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

Now... after downloading 519 (same with 518) all went well and on initial bootup with 519 (same with 518) in CD-Drive, everything went well and 519 was installed on system.

It retained all my save-file stuff from previous version 517 'EXCEPT' it over-writes my LeafPad program with NicoEdit (both times) LeafPad 'remains' in the Menu but when clicked on up comes NicoEdit, and LeafPad has to be reinstalled from the .pet pkg!

After 1st upgrade, some of the desk icons are scattered.

Pwidgets are all intact and working after upgrade.

Now... when I reboot the computer for the second time, thats when I get the-
Performing a 'switch_root' to the layered filesystem... Kernel Panic - Not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

I even tried a reboot using 'pfix=ram' and get the same error. 519 will just NOT LOAD after initial boot.

I'll say again... I use the same HD hook-up that I use for a half dozen other puppy's and have no problem just booting from the CD using the same HD to store all the save-files and had no problems with any of the updates... except with version 518 and 519.

To me it appears something has changed in 518 & 519 to cause me this problem as I have made NO changes to the way I do the updates nor to the system. This 'Kernel Panic' occurs on 2nd boot-up and thereafter!!!

Afer I get this error: I put the 517 disk in and reboot and Puppy up-dates from '519 back to 517' in a flash without any problems EXCEPT... killing the LeafPad program like it did above.

Now... I can do a inital install of 519 when I hookup a different HD and there are no problems, it's ONLY on the upgrade where this happens.

playdayz

#418 Post by playdayz »

Attached the Sylpheed online document kit.
Replace whole the directory '/usr/share/doc/sylpheed-doc' with the attached(4.8kB after extract).
Supported languages: Germany, Spanish, English, French and Japanese.
Wonderful shinobar. That saves 392K *and* makes the German, French, Spanish, and Japanese available in the iso without going online. Win win win!

Even the Japanese works after installing the language pack. Thanks.

playdayz

#419 Post by playdayz »

Manual upgrade of frugal install from 511 to 519.
That 511 was using icewm, right? That is exactly the behavior if the file /etc/windowmanager is not changed to openbox. For 520 we have a different method--but I will be able to check before release. Thanks.

"Manual" frugal update means moving the lupusave.2fs into a directory with the new2 519 files, (or vice versa), am I right?

Ah, did you have lxde installed by any chance?
Last edited by playdayz on Sun 02 Jan 2011, 17:33, edited 1 time in total.

ttuuxxx

#420 Post by ttuuxxx »

here's a image morphing program, most of the files size is just 2 examples, I'll upload 2 versions, one with examples and the smaller one without, If you download the larger one with examples, to view the examples you'll find a link to them in the help menu.
ttuuxxx
Attachments
default.jpg_out.jpeg
(12.7 KiB) Downloaded 2011 times
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)