Remastering Lupu 5.11 w/Java Pet

Please post any bugs you have found
tallthom

Remastering Lupu 5.11 w/Java Pet

#1 Post by tallthom »

I'm working on a project which involves remastering Puppy with a few extra toys. One of which is Java. I used the jre.1.6.22 pet install which works perfectly in my running version.

Then I tried to remaster - all other things I added (most under /opt directory) were included. Java was omitted. I followed the links to java from /opt/java --> /mnt/home/java --> /java

Any reason why the Java PET installs java in such a unique way? And how does one include directories under / for a remaster?

I'm going to install java manually using the jre bin provided by Oracle which I'm pretty sure will solve my troubles, but if I could learn more about the remaster process then I could benefit from the ease of PET installed Java.

emil

java and remaster

#2 Post by emil »

Hello,

It is a bit later reply on your post on the forum regarding java and remaster.

The reason why Java on the repos installs to mnt/home is that it then takes up no place in the personal savefiles. So if you have multi frugal installs on your hd as many people (esp. developers) have, then you can use one Java installation for all puppies and save that 100 MB in each savefile.

There are other big packages which also use this approach (e.g. open office package).

This is exactly the reason, why it is not included in the remasterprocess, because only files which are installed under / are remastered (and there are exceptions in the /root and in the /etc directory which you have to handle manually).

It is possible to copy the files under /mnt/home back in a location somewhere in / tree (maybe /usr/local/java ... but then you have also to adapt all the symlinks etc. Thats not easy and very errorprone.

I had a similar problem, because I wanted to include Java on a distributed live CD. There you want to have java working effectivly with 1.boot so shifting java to /mnt/home was not a good option.

I have mad a pet from java which is stored traditionally in the savefile.
you could download (prop. you dont need anymore, and there is also new Java 1.6.23 released) from www.mydrive.ch (username: download@sagelive, pwd: mathematics)

EDIT: I removed Java from mydrive (ran out of space), and it is included per default in the later Sage Live Pupplets. USe this downloadlink
http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/em ... 6.0_22.pet

Experience also shows that this is interesting for people who want to remaster something with Java working out of the box.

regards
emil
Last edited by emil on Fri 28 Jan 2011, 07:53, edited 1 time in total.

tallthom

#3 Post by tallthom »

Ok! I understand the reasoning behind it. I worked around it by manually installing Java from the Oracle Linux binary file in the /opt directory and linking Java to /usr/local/bin/java.

Then it was included in the remastering process.

Best regards and thanks for the reply.

gcmartin

JAVA

#4 Post by gcmartin »

tallthom wrote:Ok! I understand the reasoning behind it. I worked around it by manually installing Java from the Oracle Linux binary file in the /opt directory and linking Java to /usr/local/bin/java. ...
When you say you "manually ..." what exactly do you mean? I'm a newbie and remastering and am trying to follow what's in this thread and specifically yur post on circumvention. Did Lupu have this folder and if so what was required for you to complete your mission..specifically? If can post your links that might help too.

Thanks in advance for your help.

tallthom

#5 Post by tallthom »

@gcmartin

1. I went to Oracle's website and found the JAVA JRE 1.6 SELF-EXTRACTING file for LINUX. http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

2. I downloaded it into the /opt directory in my Puppy system.

3. I opened a terminal in puppy and navigated to that directory:

Code: Select all

$ cd /opt
4. I made sure the binary file was executable.

$ chmod 755 <filename>
Note: (<filename> is the name of the JRE binary you downloaded)

5. I executed the binary.

$ ./<filename>
Note: I run this from the command line because you have to read the text and accept the license agreement. Just hit <enter> until you reach the end of the agreement and then type "y" to accept it.

6. The JRE installs in /opt.

7. I navigated to /usr/local/bin

$ cd /usr/local/bin
8. I created a symbolic link to the java binary in /opt.

$ ln -s /opt/<jre_directory>/bin/java
9. That should do it. You can test that your java is seen by the environment by typing the following command:

$ which java
If it is correctly installed, the system should return the following line to you:

/usr/local/bin/java
-----

Need more help? Post your reply! Best regards!