Macpup 511

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
runtt21

#161 Post by runtt21 »

Sorry this is a day late but my ISP has been off since Wednesday. Merry Christmas and a Happy new Year all you Macpup users !!!!

ragaman

#162 Post by ragaman »

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you too.

runtt21

#163 Post by runtt21 »

Not the best video ever but still kind of cool..... :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4tk2TwQ3Yo

Thank you ragaman !!

thelight

#164 Post by thelight »

This is the first puppy derivative I've tried that doesn't work on my old clunker. :( Does it need more RAM than openbox or jwm?

It boots up fine, screen goes blank, mouse pointer appears as X starts, and then a simple message box appears saying "this is very bad" and then words to the effect of SIGILL... enlightenment crashed.

xorgwizard (twice) doesn't help either. I've also tried copying the sfs to the hd manually, now the message box doesn't appear anymore but the screen stays blank.

runtt21

#165 Post by runtt21 »

Do a md5sum check on your download . You need at least 256 Mb ram for this pup. I know people who run it on a lot less but I recommend 256.

thelight

#166 Post by thelight »

Thanks for your reply! The MD5 checks out OK, but I'm trying to run it with only 128MB RAM.

runtt21

#167 Post by runtt21 »

From what you said in your first post it sounds like a refresh rate issues with your screen, They have fixed that in the next lupu or so I have read.Are you able to run the regular lucid 5.1.1?

One of the thing you could do to help your ram is add a swap partition. Even if you have the Macpup511.sfs loaded on a drive ,it still over 180 mb. You need some more room to work with.

bwh1969

Re: acpi bindings only kind of working?

#168 Post by bwh1969 »

bump I still need some help with figuring out why the acpi events produce a trigger, but does not trigger the requested events.
bwh1969 wrote:I think the acpi bindings partially work and here is why:

If I delete the binding (i.e. AC Adapter Unplugged) and add new binding, then unplug the adapter, it adds back the "AC Adapter Unplugged" but the event does not do the requested action. It does not bring the brightness down like is listed, nor does it execute a script that I made. The script does bring the brightness down if I launch it manually. Even if I set up up, log out and then back in, it does not work. Nor does it work after a puppy save / reboot.

None of the items there work all the way, although the actual events do seem to send a signal... it is just that the signal does not trigger the event I want it to.

If I go into "Key bindings" and assign a key (like ctrl + "down"), my script also works (just to check my script works).

runtt21

#169 Post by runtt21 »

Dude acpi is not something I mess with. Several years ago I killed a motherboard trying to boot Sabayon 3.3 with different acpi boot codes.

If you can get your script to run with a key binding use it. If you need it to run at start up add a script to launch it in the /root/startup folder. If you need it at shutdown edit the shutdown script to launch it. Thats the best I can do for you but puppy's acpi settings will override e17's as far as I know.
Last edited by runtt21 on Fri 28 Jan 2011, 03:02, edited 1 time in total.

bwh1969

fair enough

#170 Post by bwh1969 »

Thanks. It is just weird that under the acpi tab, if I delete the item, then do "new" it asks me to do the thing I want it to control, and it does add back the correct item when I do it, but the command I list there does not happen in response.

'lid close' added itself back when I did that action so I set to "command" and it is "xset dpms force suspend" to shut off the display when I close the lid.

I will fiddle with it a bit more and if I figure something out, I will post back.

The fact that puppy overrides it gives me some clues.

thelight

#171 Post by thelight »

runtt21, thanks for pointing me in the right direction -- turns out the media was corrupt, which is to say, dirty. Cleaned it and burned it again, now it starts up fine. Program memory use with desktop is a very frugal 41MB! :up: [so this board lacks a thumbs-up icon]

Quick observations: the included themes are really, really, really well done, and enlightenment is nice. For a full time system, I'd have to replace rox, but that's just personal preference. Oh, and update urxvt -- the included one doesn't seem to understand the useful [|-pe tabbed|] option.

In my view a serious issue though is that the fonts are fuzzy (poorly rendered). I mean, come on, it's almost 2011 and font rendering on linux should not look like [excrement] anymore. Under Settings > Fonts > Advanced > Hinting, it lets you choose the hinting type -- nice, but bytecode hinting doesn't seem to work properly. Then there should be more settings. E.g. Fedora has GUI settings for hinting type, hinting strength, and rendering type (subpixel or not, subpixel pattern, etc). Lastly, any current linux should come with at least a few full bytecode fonts, like the full DejaVu Sans and DejaVu Sans Mono, and all the default fonts should be rendered crisply.

So maybe there's an issue with the included freetype, included fonts, or configuration. Anyway, the result is that fonts very much are not sleek, at least on my system.

I guess you can tell, this is an something that makes me rage. ;-) I've spent so much time in the bad old days making fonts look good on linux system that I've become so fed up with it that I don't want to have to do it ever again. It should just work out of the box.

thelight

#172 Post by thelight »

Update: For me, fonts look fine OOTB on CRTs, but not on LCDs. I copied over a different configuration to /etc/fonts and added some fonts and now all is well. I used the conf files from Sit Heel Speak. Worked perfectly in the past and continue to do so!

I believe the most important difference is that they enable full bci hinting and subpixel rendering. The freetype included in Macpup does support all of that and works fine when properly configured.

On my old CRT, I tried various configs but nothing makes much of a difference -- basically it looks OK, but could be a bit crisper. Pretty much any linux distro looks exactly like that. On LCDs though, the default config is terribly fuzzy, I mean, really bad. With the different config, fonts look about 70% as good as the recent Microsoft os on an LCD, in other words, good enough.

runtt21

#173 Post by runtt21 »

This thread may be of interest to anyone wanting to put folder links on the desktop.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 433#481433

runtt21

#174 Post by runtt21 »

I copied over a different configuration to /etc/fonts
Could you post this in case someone else wants to set up fonts like that?Like in a tar.gz.

Eyes-Only

#175 Post by Eyes-Only »

Odd? The only problem I've ever had with fonting in Puppy is that upon first setup I change it over from the default 78dpi (?) to the next one up - 84dpi - then reboot the X server, and all is perfectly fine.

I'm currently running 11 different Puppies on an old Dell 2400 with only 512megs of RAM ( 1.6gigs total ), a 2.4gig "Celery" processor, small cache, and a 19" Acer SlimScreen LCD that's approximately 6 years old.

I've run Puppy since version 1.0.2 or 1.0.4 ( I forget exactly which ), and on perhaps 7 or 8 different computers. I may have thought a long time ago that I had problems so I remember trying SHS's BCI's settings which I originally thought made a difference but after a month or so I undid the settings as it just worsened my migraine in the end ( Sorry SHS! ).

So I dunno? Maybe it's due to my running my fonts at a higher pixel than many, plus over-riding website's fonting, and using one which to me seems to work great, and perhaps that's why I don't notice any problems? Who knows? -shrug-

Guess I'm of no help whatsoever - just posting MY 2 cents worth. ;)

Cheers/Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

runtt21

#176 Post by runtt21 »

At brothers house, isp is out at home wont be on for a few days. Will get back asap.

omskates

#177 Post by omskates »

:D :D :D Happy New Years Runtt & MacPuppites !! Hope this is a great year for MacPup!! :D :D

runtt21

#178 Post by runtt21 »

OK I am back, MY phone and internet has been off for almost a week this time. Not my fault, ISP has had equipment issues. As I type this they are still out behind the house working on it.

@Eyes-Only Dude Everyone is of help.Every time someone post in one of the macpup threads it help us make macpup better.Mostly because I will never think of everything.

Happy New year to you omskates . Thank you very much !!!

maxpro4u

#179 Post by maxpro4u »

runtt21 wrote:OK I am back, MY phone and internet has been off for almost a week this time. Not my fault, ISP has had equipment issues. As I type this they are still out behind the house working on it.
Make sure that you complain (a lot) to your provider! They will give you more credit for the downtime :wink: squeeky wheel and all that.....

Here is something I figured out today. After booting to desktop,if I run the xorg wizard and pick vesa, my scroll button works! I've done this on 5.1.9,spup,5.1.1 so far and it worked every time.
Happy New Year!
Dell D610 1.7M w/1024mb
Testing Slacko and a few others
I'm Max Wachtel and I approve this message.
Registered Linux User #393236

runtt21

#180 Post by runtt21 »