e-Sword bible software installation

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
MRT42

#81 Post by MRT42 »

Thanks for the tip. I didn't realize what it is for and so installed it as a precaution.

bones01

Updated Puppy & kept e-Sword

#82 Post by bones01 »

This may not matter to anyone, but thought I'd share this.

I've recently upgraded to Lucid 5.1.1 and seemed to lose e-Sword when I did. To resolve the issue, i looked back to Jim's advice about linking.

I moved the .wine file from root to another file (I setup a 'temp' file for this, just in case something didn't work).

then I used the two Rox boxes to drag .wine from mnt/home into /root and make the link. As e-sword was already in the .wine, it's all there and working.

I'm a happy reader again.

Bones
Dell Latitude D630 running Puppy 5.2.8 frugal, Macpup 525 frugal (if I can get it working again. Sadly, I couldn't get it fixed :? )
Precise Puppy 5.4 live DVD
Precise 5.7.3 on USB

Jim1911

e-Sword update

#83 Post by Jim1911 »

Rick Meyers has posted another update to e-Sword, the latest is setup972.exe. It installs fine over an existing installation of version 9.6, but to be safe, always make a backup copy of root/.wine before updating.
Rick Meyers wrote:e-Sword version 9.7 changes from 9.6

The editors have been broken out into their own view and are no longer located in the Commentary view. Also, a new Journal Notes editor has been added to the Editor view to join the Study Notes and Topic Notes!

You can now Search the Bibles and other modules using Regular Expressions (REGEX). While a bit complicated for typical use, this functionality adds powerful searching capabilities when that might be needed.
Enjoy,
Jim
Attachments
eSword972.png
(107.28 KiB) Downloaded 658 times

its-me-again

Lighthouse pup

#84 Post by its-me-again »

Hi can you test this on the latest lighthouse pup. the built in installer it has does not seem to work. i have tried your solutions with no result.

Jim1911

#85 Post by Jim1911 »

These procedures have been tried and do work on Lighthouse, even for the latest e-Sword. The procedures on page 1 are up-to-date, but must be followed exactly. I have placed a eSword.pet there that provides the icon, code for /usr/bin and /usr/share/applications that should work for anyone.

In Lighthouse, the code installed by my eSword.pet needs to be edited since Tazoc's installer sets up a seperate root/.wine_Esword directory, while my procedures uses the existing root/.wine. If you try these manual procedures, it probably would be easier to just delete or rename the root/.wine_Esword directory and start over.

If you have successfully installed e-Sword using another OS, you could just delete or rename both .wine and .wine_Esword in Lighthouse and copy your successful .wine into root. Then install the eSword.pet on page 1, find and click on the desktop file.

TazOC's installer does work, however, presently his installer needs update due to name changes that Rick Meyers made to e-Sword.

Hope this helps.

bones01

Continued success

#86 Post by bones01 »

Hi Jim

I continue to come back to this thread again and again. I did a frugal re-install of 5.1.1 last week and lost more than I intended - oops. But, because of your instructions, I had made a back up of the .wine file, so now I have e-Sword up and running once again.

Thanks for your great work and updates to this thread.

Bones
Dell Latitude D630 running Puppy 5.2.8 frugal, Macpup 525 frugal (if I can get it working again. Sadly, I couldn't get it fixed :? )
Precise 5.7.3 on USB

Jim1911

#87 Post by Jim1911 »

bones01,
Thanks for the kind words. I hope that this thread benefits anyone who likes e-sword. It used to be very frustrating to use bible programs with puppy. About the only thing that was available was outdated pups using the old java Bible Desktop. Now, thanks to TazOC, playdayz, and 01micko, other fine programs such as this one can run on the later pups, along with Bibletime and Ziphos. Now it's possible for anyone to set up their own Bible study pup.

This threaddiscusses how to set up your own Bible Study pup.

Thanks,
Jim

Jim1911

#88 Post by Jim1911 »

There is a new e-Sword update, e-Sword v9.8.2 application installation. Unfortunately, Rick has changed his site and now the only way to download modules is by using a new Module Downloader that is a main feature of the latest 9.8 version. See attachment.

The Module Downloader is a great feature for Windows users because it shows what you have installed and enables downloads, but it does not work under Linux.

The good news is that you can update to e-Sword v9.8.2 by downloading setup982.exe with your browser and click on it. Except for the downloading feature, it works great.

I have asked Rick to restore browser access to the download area as it was prior to 9.8 so that Linux users can still get new modules and updates.
Attachments
ModuleDownloader.jpg
(137.46 KiB) Downloaded 609 times

bones01

#89 Post by bones01 »

Thanks for keeping us informed Jim. I'll keep an eye hear to see if Rick has been able to make these changes.

Bones
Precise 5.7.3 on USB

Jim1911

#90 Post by Jim1911 »

Jim1911 wrote:There is a new e-Sword update, e-Sword v9.8.2 application installation. Unfortunately, Rick has changed his site and now the only way to download modules is by using a new Module Downloader that is a main feature of the latest 9.8 version. See attachment.

The Module Downloader is a great feature for Windows users because it shows what you have installed and enables downloads, but it does not work under Linux.

The good news is that you can update to e-Sword v9.8.2 by downloading setup982.exe with your browser and click on it. Except for the downloading feature, it works great.

I have asked Rick to restore browser access to the download area as it was prior to 9.8 so that Linux users can still get new modules and updates.
See EDIT on page 1 for a workaround to use the new version.

Jim1911

#91 Post by Jim1911 »

Latest version of e-Sword is v9.8.3. Above comments still apply about the download function.

jblake

Re: e-Sword bible software installation

#92 Post by jblake »

That does not link to topical files.
I don't have the URL for topical files. :(

The Resource Download manager doesn't link to the Bible Illustration that e-Sword offers. http://www.e-sword.net/illustrations.html is the old link for that resource.

jonathon

Jim1911

#93 Post by Jim1911 »

jblake wrote:
That does not link to topical files.
I don't have the URL for topical files. :(

The Resource Download manager doesn't link to the Bible Illustration that e-Sword offers. http://www.e-sword.net/illustrations.html is the old link for that resource.
jonathon
Sorry, nothing we can do about Rick's e-Sword site. Unfortunately the download links that are still available outside of e-Sword are from the older versions and they don't link to all available e-Sword resources. :(
  • There are two solutions from my standpoint:
    (1) Solve the problem with the e-Sword downloader running correctly under Wine. (This is above my skill level.)
    (2) Redesign the new web site to allow browser links to check all available resources as it did previous to the 9.8 updates.
I have brought this problem to Rick's attention, he has been unresponsive to suggested changes to his web site to make it more browser friendly. His only suggestions are for linux users to use an older version or fix Wine so his downloader works. :( See page 1 for current links that are found in older versions. :D Maybe he will respond to someone else's request for a more browser friendly site.

You may want to take a look at Bibletime and Xiphos, both have linux versions that are as good as or better than the corresponding Windows version.

disciple

#94 Post by disciple »

Jim1911 wrote:His only suggestions are for linux users to use an older version or fix Wine so his downloader works. :(
But he only provides a download of the latest version... is he happy for us to redistribute the older version(s) if necessary? (IIRC this is explicitly forbidden in the license agreement)
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Jim1911

#95 Post by Jim1911 »

disciple wrote:
Jim1911 wrote:His only suggestions are for linux users to use an older version or fix Wine so his downloader works. :(
But he only provides a download of the latest version... is he happy for us to redistribute the older version(s) if necessary? (IIRC this is explicitly forbidden in the license agreement)
It may help for you to tell him about the problems he has caused linux users, I have, and got nowhere. Maybe, he will at least redesign his site to make it more browser user friendly, and if nothing else, provide links for older versions for new linux users who must link with browsers.

It would also be nice if browser links were available for the newer resources that are available for a fee.

Jim1911

Link to CrossOver Linux

#96 Post by Jim1911 »

For what it's worth, the e-Sword site now has a link on it's home page to Codeweaver'sCrossOver Linux. However, looking at Codeweaver's e-Sword forum link, I get the impression that it's not worth downloading the trial that's offered.

Frank Cox

New Deal

#97 Post by Frank Cox »

I am going to add esword to puppy for the first time since they changed the download format. The solution I came to in Ubuntu was to add the program with the installer and manually add old modules.

What I am going to attempt now is to load the old program in Puppy . Would you be so kind as to post how to copy the program from one puppy to another?

If its legal I will be happy to send anyone the modules I do have which include many of the books and most of the graphics.

I may also go ahead and get Cross Over , mostly for Quicken and the games and see if it solves the problem of downloading the modules. For 1/2 price it may be a good deal.

Will let you know how it went.

Jim1911

#98 Post by Jim1911 »

Frank Cox wrote:I am going to add esword to puppy for the first time since they changed the download format. The solution I came to in Ubuntu was to add the program with the installer and manually add old modules.

What I am going to attempt now is to load the old program in Puppy . Would you be so kind as to post how to copy the program from one puppy to another?

If its legal I will be happy to send anyone the modules I do have which include many of the books and most of the graphics.

I may also go ahead and get Cross Over , mostly for Quicken and the games and see if it solves the problem of downloading the modules. For 1/2 price it may be a good deal.

Will let you know how it went.
Procedure is simple:

1. Boot into your old pup and copy the hidden file /root/.wine to a safe location.

2. Boot into your new pup, install wine if you haven't already done so. Then delete the hidden file /root/.wine. After deleting, either link your old /root/.wine that you copied to a safe location or copy it to /root.

3. Next install the esword.pet from page 1 that you used to set up your old pup to launch e-Sword. Then launch e-Sword. Wine will reconfigure and your program should launch.

4. To install the latest e-Sword just download the new 9.8.3 version from the e-Sword site (link on page 1), and double click to install. Now you should have the latest version working.

As for Crossover, I don't believe it's worth a download. It appears to have problems even with the older versions of e-Sword that we already have working perfectly in puppy using Wine.

Frank Cox

Crossover

#99 Post by Frank Cox »

Jim1911 wrote:Procedure is simple:

1. Boot into your old pup and copy the hidden file /root/.wine to a safe location.

2. Boot into your new pup, install wine if you haven't already done so. Then delete the hidden file /root/.wine. After deleting, either link your old /root/.wine that you copied to a safe location or copy it to /root.

3. Next install the esword.pet from page 1 that you used to set up your old pup to launch e-Sword. Then launch e-Sword. Wine will reconfigure and your program should launch.

4. To install the latest e-Sword just download the new 9.8.3 version from the e-Sword site (link on page 1), and double click to install. Now you should have the latest version working.

As for Crossover, I don't believe it's worth a download. It appears to have problems even with the older versions of e-Sword that we already have working perfectly in puppy using Wine.
Thanks for the quick reply Jim. That sounds easy enough.
I was planning on getting Crossover for the games and for Quicken before this came up, I would not buy it for this.
It is odd that they would try and use Esword for a hook seeing it seems to be no better and apparently even worse than wine alone.

Jim1911

#100 Post by Jim1911 »

Crossover will be worthwhile if they can show with their trial download that it will successfully run e-Sword 9.8.3 perfectly, including the eSword downloader that doesn't work in puppy or ubuntu. Otherwise, when new modules are desired, we are forced to use MS Windows.