Lucid Puppy 5.2 Official Release JAN 5 2011

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Jades

#121 Post by Jades »

playdayz wrote:What's on the table here are:

1) trying to find and disable the routine in the Installer that gives the erroneous warnings about Puppy 2.

2) Trying to make fbpanel misbehave in repeatable ways.

3) Testing the 3 Gnumeric packages prepared by ttuuxxx + Abiword

4) question (for 01micko) about pup-advert blocker.
5. My inability to create a working pupsave on my K6 machine with any version of Luci/Lupu newer than Luci-241. Just tried creating a save in Luci-244 on the ext2 partition and that also doesn't work so format of target partition doesn't appear to be a factor - it just won't create a working save on that machine.
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]
Merlin - Core i5-4590, 8GB RAM, Radeon R9 270X. Slacko 5.7.0

bigpup

#122 Post by bigpup »

Jades wrote:5. My inability to create a working pupsave on my K6 machine with any version of Luci/Lupu newer than Luci-241. Just tried creating a save in Luci-244 on the ext2 partition and that also doesn't work so format of target partition doesn't appear to be a factor - it just won't create a working save on that machine.
To make sure we understand the problem. The normal way to make a pupsave file is not working? Live CD at shutdown? Frugal install at shutdown? A fresh new install not an updated?

01micko

#123 Post by 01micko »

bigpup wrote:Why is pup-advert-blocker a selection in select default browser?
:roll: We have been over this more than twice!

In the beginning, yes it was a bug, then it became a feature.

Attached is the browser-default with pup-advert-blocker disabled... I'll leave it up to the Boss man which way he wants to go :wink:

Cheers

and Merry Christmas!
Attachments
browser-default-3.2.pet
(1.74 KiB) Downloaded 423 times
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

playdayz

#124 Post by playdayz »

Browser-default,
then it became a feature.
Concerning the misbehavior of fbpanel. The easy fix is to run the fbpanel fixmenus program when fbpanel starts.

This is interesting to me in a theoretical sense. If we were trying to design a bug proof operating system (or programming method) then when any routine or procedure starts it would immediately check to make sure that everything it was going to need was present. That way it would not get half way through and crash because something was not there. According to that reasoning, fbpanel should run its own fixmenus program when it starts to confirm for itself that the menus are in good order, and if they are not it will fix them. (I think they could be in bad order for instance if the fixmenus program had been interrupted by a killing X.)
Last edited by playdayz on Sat 25 Dec 2010, 00:58, edited 1 time in total.

playdayz

#125 Post by playdayz »

Sorry about your flight DaveS,

Happy Christmas and Peace on Earth to all,

from the icy mid-west of the United States

yarddog

Lupu-516 Beta 2 released DEC 22

#126 Post by yarddog »

Jades wrote:
playdayz wrote:
xmessage

Dependencies may be missing in Puppy 516.
You will either have to uninstall the Puppy2 packages, or install the missing
dependencies -- the latter is easy: click the ‘install’ icon on the desktop
after Puppy is running and you have Internet access.

These are the most likely missing dependencies (if in doubt, install them all!):
PKG-TYPE MISSING DEPENDENCIES
GTK1: gtk+12 gdkxft gdk_pixbuf10 glib12
Tcl/Tk: tk tcl tix uri tktable tablelist tile trf combobox gnocl img
Qt: qt
Xlib: imlib libxaw95_DEP4
Multimedia: speex libosip2 cdrdao sox
Misc.: libidn fig2dev pstoedit mtools
This is an artifact that doesn't mean anything other than that the Puppy is not named 2.xx.
Saw it myself when I full installed Lupu 511, and checked the dependencies using the app once I'd booted it up. Nothing was missing. If it's an obsolete message, can it be removed?
I do only full installs and have done a full install on all of the Lucid 5.2 series - This message did not appear on any of these installs - Lupu 516 was first time i have seen it since the 5.11 series - what is different between lupu 516 and lucid 236, 237, 238, 239, etc for example. none of these had this message

regards
yarddog

bigpup

#127 Post by bigpup »

01micko wrote:
bigpup wrote:Why is pup-advert-blocker a selection in select default browser?
:roll: We have been over this more than twice!

In the beginning, yes it was a bug, then it became a feature.

Attached is the browser-default with pup-advert-blocker disabled... I'll leave it up to the Boss man which way he wants to go :wink:

Cheers

and Merry Christmas!
Just does not go with the title select default browser. Would expect only browsers listed. But a little newbie confusion is not all bad. Understand feature. :wink:
Does Santa Claus fly in the opposite direction, when he gets in the southern hemispheric region? It seems to effect the flow of water. :?

Merry Christmas!
from the South Eastern United States.
Last edited by bigpup on Sat 25 Dec 2010, 06:07, edited 4 times in total.

James C

#128 Post by James C »

Been running this on my test box steadily and other than what's already been noted, no other problems here. Except the snow...... :lol:

Merry Christmas everybody. :)

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#129 Post by Lobster »

Merry Christmas Guys,

Before I forget sound is now loud and boisterous.
Woof, woof

I installed to USB and ran Lupu 516 on a Dell Inspiron from keydrive. Seemed to be working OK.

Our Christmas dinner is eaten, we celebrate on Christmas Eve
Our crackers are pulled. Mine had a little Lobster in it. We choose them at random. I believe it is a communication from Rudolf in another dimension . . .
4AM and I was on my way home. Very few people on the London rds. Quite a few foxes.

:)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#130 Post by Béèm »

playdayz wrote:Sorry about your flight DaveS,

Happy Christmas and Peace on Earth to all,

from the icy mid-west of the United States
Merry Christmas to you also, playdayz and thanks for your efforts with Lucid.
From the warm Lanzarote,
Bernard
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#131 Post by Béèm »

Double post.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

tasmod

#132 Post by tasmod »

Happy Christmas and a Happy New Year to all.

By way of a present. Version 1.5 of Psync is posted in the System category in Additional Software.

This is a "Quiet" version for autostarting. There is nothing to say it is autostarting once the option is selected.

This is the best I can do for now as I have a cold and it's hard to think clearly.

Peace to all
Rob
-
The moment after you press "Post" is the moment you actually see the typso 8)

Jades

More info on my problem with pupsave creation

#133 Post by Jades »

A Merry Christmas to you and everyone on the forums!
bigpup wrote:
Jades wrote:5. My inability to create a working pupsave on my K6 machine with any version of Luci/Lupu newer than Luci-241. Just tried creating a save in Luci-244 on the ext2 partition and that also doesn't work so format of target partition doesn't appear to be a factor - it just won't create a working save on that machine.
To make sure we understand the problem. The normal way to make a pupsave file is not working? Live CD at shutdown? Frugal install at shutdown? A fresh new install not an updated?
This is for the K6 machine, Zhaan. See sig for spec and link to a HardInfo report from Lupu 511. It happens with both LiveCD and Frugals. Fresh installs in all cases. With the LiveCD booted pfix=ram, I try creating the save in the normal way after selecting either reboot or shutdown. It goes through the process of creating it but on the subsequent boot I get the problem with it being unable to find a valid superblock and then it kernel panics.

With the frugal, I use the Universal Installer in a pfix=ram LiveCD boot, update menu.lst and then boot into the frugal install. After initial setup, I select reboot or shutdown and create the pupsave. As with the LiveCD, it then errors on the subsequent boot while attempting to read the save file.

I have a lucisave which I created initially in Luci-238 and has been successfully updated through to Luci-246 without any problems becoming apparent. If this is used with the LiveCD or frugal of Luci-246 then the install boots correctly. I even copied it to the Lupu 516 frugal and renamed the first part of the save to lupusave (so lupusave-zhn238t2.3fs instead of lucisave-zhn238t2.3fs). Having done that, Lupu 516 then did boot up, going through the update process and making it to the desktop. That setup has so far been fine on subsequent boots.

Having found the problem upon trying to create a new pupsave for 515, I've then gone back through the earlier versions of Luci to see at which point the problem crops up. Versions up to and including Luci-241 create saves without problems. Luci-242 and above, as well as Lupu 515 and 516 cannot create new working pupsaves but will boot with ones from earlier versions - the working with earlier versions is the main reason why I haven't noticed the problem before.

As far as creating the faulty saves is concerned. the format of the target partition appears to be irrelevant as I've tried creating them on the main FAT32 partition, the ext3 partition I use for data storage and the ext2 partition the full install lives on (see attached Gparted screenshot). In most cases I've accepted the defaults but even when I do change the format of the pupsave or the name it makes no difference.

I have had no problems with creating pupsaves on Merlin, the Pentium D machine.

Hope this helps, and any advice on how to capture the error message other than finding a camera would be appreciated.

Edits: Fix assorted tyops. ;-)
Attachments
gpartedzhn.png
Gparted screengrab of the partition layout on Zhaan, my AMD K6 2 500 machine.
* Drive is an 80GB IBM Deskstar 120GXP (IIRC).
* Win98 install on partition called EIGHTY, full install of Lucid Puppy 5.1.1 on PuppyFull partition.
(60.29 KiB) Downloaded 438 times
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]

scsijon

#134 Post by scsijon »

playdayz wrote: BTW, Here is an idea that I had last night. For a future Puppy project someone might build a Woof-based Puppy (from any distro) and then go about compiling 'all' of the programs in that Puppy. That strikes me as an interesting use of Woof and possibly a tight and reliable Puppy. That's what ttuuxxx wants to do anyway ;-) which I say in all respect..
I'll give you another!

Think of Puppy as the "Backbone" of the system, contains everything needed to run it (Desktop, System, Setup, Filesystem, a basic set of lib's, Network, some Utilities, etc.) but with !No Actual User Applications! and use .sfs's for the User Style Applications. Some sfs's would autoload if they exist and are in the right place in the tree (Graphic.sfs, Document.sfs, etc,) others would load as is now with the Bootmanager. Hm, may be even the way to allow updating of apps without a total rebuild.
playdayz wrote: If I boot pfix=ram and then use Quickpet to install the Xorg_High driver and then immediately Restart the X server, then the menu malfunctions. However, if I wait until the entire process of installing the Xorg-High is finished and I get the splash that says Success, then Restart the X server, it is OK. So it appears that the problem arises when the X server is killed (restarted) before fixmenus is finished running. I can think of several ways to block this--does anyone have suggestions?
Could we have a wait in there so the restart can't happen before fixmenus has completed, or a please wait till splash , and I didn't get a "success splash" at either time I tried it, maybe I needed to wait longer than previous versions needed. Like the idea of a check before start you mention in a later post, could it also reload the origonal if faulty or a flag is turned on/off, would be useful in schools and the like then.

@Jades,:
There is "something is in the back of my mind from my early days of puppy and some hard drives and it just won't come out" but, can you do a clean frugal install for me but when creating the savefile upsize it to 1gig, make sure to put it into the frugal directory, do a menu item and tell me what happens when you shutdown (not reboot) and start up "cold".
Be aware that there are in fact two types of Deskstar 120GXP drives the N-series and A-series.The A-series (model numbers ending in 'A07-0'), were configured internally very differently to get a speed throughput gain, can you look at the drive and tell me which one you have while I find my ibm drive problems database cd from my archives boxes and see what was listed against them? May be a red-herring but...

gcmartin

SAMBA

#135 Post by gcmartin »

I have discovered 2 items of interest. It will affect any newbie or Puppy user who will want to share stuff from Puppy out over his LAN with Windows machines.

1. the SAMBA PET from QuickPET installs but the tools for SAMBA are not where one should expect them. SAMBA in essence is cripple using this installation approach. (And, its NOT @Mobeus SAMBA PET which he work out all of the Puppy 5.0 and 5.1 issues)

2. The SAMBA in the PPM will not download. Errors when attempts made to get it downloaded...even after running PPM to update the repo lists). If we can get the PPM to download, testing can be done.

I did install Mobeus's PET and got the following error attempting to process SAMBA's configuration file.

Code: Select all

# /etc/rc.d/rc.samba status
Samba is stopped
# mkdir /Downloads
# mkdir /srv/Downloads
mkdir: cannot create directory `/srv/Downloads': No such file or directory
# mkdir -p /srv/Downloads
# testparm
Load smb config files from /usr/lib/smb.conf  
rlimit_max: rlimit_max (1024) below minimum Windows limit (16384)
params.c:OpenConfFile() - Unable to open configuration file "/usr/lib/smb.conf":
	No such file or directory  <=== SAMBA errror message
Error loading services.
#
I Tried to create and save a new smb.conf in /usr/lib/smb.conf failed.
Edited 12/26/10: "testparm" failed to find smb.conf because the symlink is pointing incorrectly. Correct and rerun, I get

Code: Select all

# ls -l /usr/lib/smb.conf
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 23 2010-12-25 23:47 /usr/lib/smb.conf -> /etc/opt/samba/smb.conf
# ln -s /etc/samba/smb.conf /usr/lib/smb.conf
ln: creating symbolic link `/usr/lib/smb.conf': File exists
# rm /usr/lib/smb.conf
# ln -s /etc/samba/smb.conf /usr/lib/smb.conf
# testparm
Load smb config files from /usr/lib/smb.conf
rlimit_max: rlimit_max (1024) below minimum Windows limit (16384)
Processing section "[Downloads]"
Processing section "[Downloads2]"
Processing section "[Downloads3]"
Processing section "[Downloads4]"
Processing section "[Downloads5]"
Loaded services file OK.
ERROR: lock directory /var/opt/samba/locks does not exist
ERROR: state directory /var/opt/samba/locks does not exist
ERROR: cache directory /var/opt/samba/locks does not exist
ERROR: pid directory /var/opt/samba/locks does not exist
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE
Press enter to see a dump of your service definitions
^C
Above, I stored a test smb.conf and ran "testparm". But, I'm now getting errors getting the above errors reported.

Getting system errors running "testparm". These are new as they were not in PUP5.1+ the last time I ran a test, weeks ago.

These problems did NOT exist in PUP5.1.

Hope this helps before 5.2 goes GA. (General Availability)
Last edited by gcmartin on Sun 26 Dec 2010, 18:36, edited 3 times in total.

playdayz

#136 Post by playdayz »

- Lupu 516 was first time i have seen it since the 5.11 series - what is different between lupu 516 and lucid 236, 237, 238, 239, etc for example. none of these had this message
What's different is the number of the release 2xx versus 5xx. That somehow triggers the bogus message. 01micko has a suggestion for lupu-517. Thanks.

playdayz

#137 Post by playdayz »

With the LiveCD booted pfix=ram, I try creating the save in the normal way after selecting either reboot or shutdown. It goes through the process of creating it but on the subsequent boot I get the problem with it being unable to find a valid superblock and then it kernel panics.
Jades, very good detail and description. It is on page 9 the previous page if anyone would like to give it a try. Are you installing the K6-pack *before* trying to exit and create the save file? It might be gparted, which we know does not run correctly.

playdayz

#138 Post by playdayz »

1. the SAMBA PET from QuickPET installs but the tools for SAMBA are not where one should expect them. SAMBA in essence is cripple using this installation approach. (And, its NOT @Mobeus SAMBA PET which he work out all of the Puppy 5.0 and 5.1 issues)
I am sorry,. I believe shinobar is the sfs in Quickpet and Mobeus is the pet.
Last edited by playdayz on Mon 27 Dec 2010, 04:13, edited 1 time in total.

gcmartin

#139 Post by gcmartin »

playdayz wrote:
Mobeus is the sfs Samba in Quickpet.
Thanks @Playdayz. But, looks like the system/libraries/links must have changed going from PUP5.1 to PUP5.2. (probably for some very good reasons). I will appeal to @Mobeus/@Shinobar for some guidance. Someone may already know what contributed to this dilemma of it working in PUP5.1+ variants and not working in PUP5.2betas.

Is this something that MAY have been introduced in the current WOOF? Thus, it would affect ALL of newer Puppies coming out?

Jades

#140 Post by Jades »

scsijon wrote:
@Jades,:
There is "something is in the back of my mind from my early days of puppy and some hard drives and it just won't come out" but, can you do a
clean frugal install
OK, booted into the frugal of Lupu 516 and did Personalize Settings and set up networking with Network Wizard.
scsijon wrote:when creating the savefile upsize it to 1gig, make sure to put it into the frugal directory
Chose default ext2 format, chose 1GB for size, named it 516fr and made sure it was going in the Frugal directory.
scsijon wrote:do a menu item
Not sure what you mean by this?
scsijon wrote:and tell me what happens when you shutdown (not reboot)
Chose Shutdown->Power off, went through dialogues for setting up pupsave and it went through creating the save and then saving the
session to it, ending with a "System Halted" message (APM is off in BIOS in case that was the problem). Powered off manually.
scsijon wrote:and start up "cold".
Power on, skip BIOS memory check (slow), select 516 frugal from Grub4Dos menu and it gets to checking save file then fails with the same errors as previously reported.
scsijon wrote:The A-series (model numbers ending in 'A07-0')
That's the type that I have.
scsijon wrote:while I find my ibm drive problems database cd from my archives boxes and see what was listed against them? May be a red-herring but...
Worth a shot I suppose. As I say, Lucid Puppy 5.1.1 and Lucis up to and including Luci-241 can create working saves. The problem starts with Luci-242 and includes Lupu 515 and 516.