spup-100 April 2011

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
taca0

#221 Post by taca0 »

I made a remaster version of the spup 052 with this combination:

Kernel 2.6.32.26 from igul and inpu001
Xorg 1.9.2 from current slackware sources.
jwm2-493 from igul
mesa 7.8 from ppm

For me works great

I had to do it with remaster... because I don have the power and space for the Woof built..

mikeslr

Very solid Puplet

#222 Post by mikeslr »

Thank you 01micko for the very nice Puplet. Just started to experiment with 051 and you've brought out 052. 051 worked well with everything I've thrown at it: pets and sfses.

Ran accross you're discussion of sfs_grabber. How does this differ from jrb's sfs_linker which I've been using without a problem?

Those who prefer "realistic" wallpaper, might like this "slacker" pup which can be flinched from:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... s%3Disch:1

I'll try out 052 tomorrow.

mikesLr

mikeslr

Testing 052

#223 Post by mikeslr »

Hi again all,

Couldn't wait 'till tomorrow. So I unpacked 052 into a directory and reran Grub4Dos Config. Edited Menulist to include pfix=ram for 052 so it wouldn't pick up 051's Save-file. (Will change after creating a Save-file for 052),

The first thing I do is run Internet Wizard: Simple Wizard worked as well as in 051. Next I run Alsa sound wizard. It reported that it couldn't find any sound card. Hardinfo reports I have an Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER Multimedia Audio Controller. However, as soon as I got on the web and ran a Youtube, I had sound. So Alsa Wizard isn't reporting properly.

Preparing to get on the web using Opera-11.00.sfs, I installed sfs_grabber-0.1.pet. It installed, but when right-clicking the SFS did nothing, I tried using it from the Menu. Dragged the sfs to it, and it reported something like "you have to first install puppy." So somethings not working right.

More later.

mikesLr

PS. Other than above, every thing I tried worked. Don't have printer or scanner plugged in so didn't try relevant apps. Noted that Abiword lacks thesaurus. But I usually load SFS of OpenOffice or LibreOffice.

Now to create Save-file, edit menu.lst and reboot..

mikesLr
Last edited by mikeslr on Wed 22 Dec 2010, 02:18, edited 1 time in total.

01micko

Re: Audacity

#224 Post by 01micko »

cinclus_cinclus wrote:I tried to install audacity. Got these unresolved dependencies:

libFLAC++.so6
(snip).
Well that is a peculiar one.. I'll look into it.
mikeslr wrote:Hardinfo reports I have an Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER Multimedia Audio Controller. However, as soon as I got on the web and ran a Youtube, I had sound. So Alsa Wizard isn't reporting properly.
Well that's a bug! Try right clicking the retrovol icon next time, if it apears.
mikeslr wrote:Preparing to get on the web using Opera-11.00.sfs, I installed sfs_grabber-0.1.pet. It installed, but when right-clicking the SFS did nothing, I tried using it from the Menu. Dragged the sfs to it, and it reported something like "you have to first install puppy." So somethings not working right.
Yes, it should detect if you are running live and splash that message. It does not work like jrb's sfs_linker. If you were happy using that keep using it, should work fine.

What this thing does is get an sfs either locally or from the web and install it in the traditional way, reboot required.

Thanks for reports

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

mikeslr

Back again

#225 Post by mikeslr »

Hi again:

Rebooted creating 512 meg Save-File. Discovered that Save-File was automatically created in sPup052's folder. (See prior post re unpacking ISO). That's a nice feature. But as I hadn't known it would, I initially booted into sPup051, thinking I'd have to move Save-file from the top of the partition to the sPup052's folder.
While in sPup051 I decided to increase its, sPup051's, Save-file by 256 megs.
When I rebooted into sPup052, boot manager? ran thru its routine to increase sPup052's Save-file from 512 to 756. I'll reboot into sPup051 and see what happens.

Edit: Rebooted into sPup051. Its Save-File was not increased, remaining at 512 megs. I don't know enough about how resizing a Save-file works (perhaps I should mention I use Grub4Dos v.1.6.3 as the boot manager) but it appears that running two versions of sPup causes confusion.

mikesLr

James C

Re: Back again

#226 Post by James C »

mikeslr wrote:Hi again:

Rebooted creating 512 meg Save-File. Discovered that Save-File was automatically created in sPup052's folder. (See prior post re unpacking ISO). That's a nice feature. But as I hadn't known it would, I initially booted into sPup051, thinking I'd have to move Save-file from the top of the partition to the sPup052's folder.
While in sPup051 I decided to increase its, sPup051's, Save-file by 256 megs.
When I rebooted into sPup052, boot manager? ran thru its routine to increase sPup052's Save-file from 512 to 756. I'll reboot into sPup051 and see what happens.

Edit: Rebooted into sPup051. Its Save-File was not increased, remaining at 512 megs. I don't know enough about how resizing a Save-file works (perhaps I should mention I use Grub4Dos v.1.6.3 as the boot manager) but it appears that running two versions of sPup causes confusion.

mikesLr
When you use the utility to resize your save file,when you reboot whatever save file you use next will be the one resized.If you were using 051,resized the save file and rebooted into 052 that save file should have been enlarged.
If I'm incorrect somebody will correct me but that's my understanding of how it works.

Brown Mouse

#227 Post by Brown Mouse »

Still no luck with Mesa.
I see this in a terminal when entering 'glxgears' # glxgears
Error: couldn't get an RGB, Double-buffered visual
#

It's odd because it works in 051.

Stripe

#228 Post by Stripe »

Hi all

just tried 052 on an old amd 800 mhz box (256mb sd ram) (full install) everything works great if a bit slow LOL, (apart from flash, but cant expect anything else with the chip)
Posting from it now.
cheers
Stripe

mikeslr

Resizing Save-File -- Multi-Puppy Precaution

#229 Post by mikeslr »

Thank you James C:

You were right. When you click "Resize Personal Save-File" the SAVE FILE OF WHICHEVER PUPPY YOU NEXT BOOT INTO WILL BE THE ONE RESIZED..

There is, in fact, a warning in the dialogue which appears when you click "Resize Personal Save-File", but the warning is in the middle of the text and doesn't explain why you should reboot into the intended Puppy. And it is partially negated by the first sentence which identifies the Puppy you are in as the one you intend to increase.

In short, the instructions in the dialogue could be clearer.

mikesLr

Iguleder

#230 Post by Iguleder »

Hey 01micko, I'm home after two weeks and I found some time to work on Pslackthing, teh Slackware package downloader.

New stuff:
- Lots of bug fixes
- A package blacklist
- Automatic (and FAST) detection of the installed packages and the option not to download installed packages (i.e just the extra dependencies you need to make the packages work); it uses DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS (either the one in /root/.packages or DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS-slackware-$DISTRO_COMPAT_VERSION in the Pslackthing directory, as with other Woof files). :wink:
- More comments in the code
- More modularity and reusability in various parts of Pslackthing
- Other goodies

How to use it? It's simple. Edit pslackthingrc with a text editor, create a list of packages to download and save it as packages.txt.

Then, decide what side of the force you are on - run Pslackthing on a spup to make life easier or get DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS, DISTRO_COMPAT_REPOS-slackware-13.1 and DISTRO_PET_REPOS-slackware-13.1. If you mess with Woof, you know what these are; just put them in the Pslackthing directory, like packages.txt.

Now you're done configuring it - just run 0setup and 1download. It's all automatic :)

If you want to restore Pslackthing to its vanilla form, delete Packages-slackware-*, packages.txt and the packages directory. That's it.

This thing is getting better and better ... I'm still curious about reverse-engineering Woof's 2createpackages. This requires some serious work I guess 8)
Attachments
Pslackthing-003.tar
(30 KiB) Downloaded 365 times
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

taca0

#231 Post by taca0 »

Iguleader:

Make a version with this combination Xorg 1.9.2 from current slackware and kernel 2.6.36 like the slax remix v9 has??

Iguleder

#232 Post by Iguleder »

I have no intentions to harm spup's development, it's 01micko's baby :)

At the moment I'm rebuilding 052 with micko's instructions, but with my own modifications - I replaced some applications and added goodies. PPM uses the spup repo but also has mine 8)

The most important feature is the automatic Opera installer (which replaces the Firefox installer I wrote). Also, there are many new packages in my repo: Seamonkey, a better Geany, Bluefish, nano_tiny, package_tools, advancecomp_cut, OptiPNG and much more. The Opera PET is just 9 MB and it's so goddamn fast! :D

Here's what I did:

Code: Select all

cat DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS-slackware-13.1 | grep iguleder | sed s/"#iguleder: "//g
And here's the output, the full list of changes from 01micko's vanilla 052:
added acpitool, needed by xbindkeys
added advancecomp_cut, needed by package_tools
added aumix, needed by volumeicon
moved bones exe to dev
removed ctorrent
added deadbeef, replaces pmusic
added dejavu_fonts
added fetchpet, needed by opera_installer
removed flashplayer10
added fotoxx
replaced gecko-mediaplayer with gecko_mediaplayer
removed gexec
added ghasher
replaced gnome-mplayer with gnome_mplayer
added grun, replaces gexec
removed gtk-chtheme
removed gtksourceview
added htop
added igucal, replaces minixcal
added leafpad, replaces nicoedit
added lxappearance, replaces gtk-chtheme
added lxrandr
added lxtask, replaces pprocess and needed by xbindkeys
removed minixcal
added nano_tiny
removed nicoedit
removed notecase
added opera_installer, replaces seamonkey and needs fetchpet
added optipng, needed by package_tools
added package_tools, needs advancecomp_cut and optipng
removed pctorrent
removed pmusic
added powertop
added ppower
removed pprocess
removed retrovol
removed seamonkey
removed seamonkey_addon_sqlite_manager
removed seamonkey_addon_zombie_keys
added sylpheed
added teh_gray_jwm_theme
added transmission, replaces pctorrent and ctorrent
added trinity_icon_theme
added uget
added volumeicon, replaces retrovol and needs any standalone mixer with /usr/local/bin/defaultaudiomixer
added xbindkeys, needs acpitool, mtpaint and lxtask
added xpad, replaces notecase
removed yaf_splash
While 2createpackages is running, I started working on linux_kernel-2.6.36.2-spup :wink:

If I spot any serious bugs or blasts of creativity, I'll report ... got lots of nifty tricks up my sleeve :wink:

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#233 Post by Lobster »

Glad you are OK Igu
after your holiday, care of the local militia :wink:

Wonderful that you are using your time to improve our favourite canine
before returning to your camp site . . .

Have fun :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

ttuuxxx

#234 Post by ttuuxxx »

Iguleder Hope your fine and life is grand, Take care
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

Iguleder

#235 Post by Iguleder »

Thanks, guys - I'm just fine. My body is all broken and physically I'm very tired, but mentally I'm very energetic as I'm building more stuff for spup :)

I compiled 2.6.36.2 with BFS and more packages, including JWM 498 and htop, to make it more ... complete :)

I also tried to compile WeeChat but it's still too big, weechat-curses is ~350 KB if I remember right and the gtk interface is just two text entries, not very friendly.

01micko: in Barry's zzz package, use "exe,dev,doc,nls", otherwise it produces errors - in my case I got an empty package. Also, Bones should be "exe>dev" to save a byte or two of RAM. Besides these problems 052 looks great so far.

taca0

#236 Post by taca0 »

Iguleader:

How I use the linux_kernel-2.6.36.2-spup.pet with spup or igulpup001 but Frugal ??

Iguleder

#237 Post by Iguleder »

Just follow the wonderful instructions by 01micko and build your own spup, it's easy :)

You can build it without having to modify Woof, that's what's so awesome about spup. I don't recommend you to use my kernel packages, since they're experimental and the next time I work on Puppy is next Friday probably :wink:

I built a 052 with 2.6.36.2 and some of my modifications and it was kinda messed up, because I used "exe" instead of "exe,dev>null,doc>null,nls>null" for almost all the apps I packaged - they were missing but the Opera installer was there and worked. Now I'm re-processing them ... grrrrr.

EDIT: more problems! jwm 498's bidi didn't work for me and it has two annoying bugs - 4 workspaces instead of 2 and when you move a window to the top of the screen, it pops out of the bottom. I rolled back to the good 493.

01micko

#238 Post by 01micko »

Iguleder wrote: EDIT: more problems! jwm 498's bidi didn't work for me and it has two annoying bugs - 4 workspaces instead of 2 and when you move a window to the top of the screen, it pops out of the bottom. I rolled back to the good 493.
Ok ,bidi might be a problem but I can't fix that!

The other with the virtual desktops is a cool new feature! The syntax is changed a bit so the current tool for altering desktops is not working.

I asked zigbert if he wants to code a new tool. You can manually edit the file /root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal with the new syntax.

Code: Select all

<!-- Number of virtual desktops -->
<Desktops width="3" height="2"/>
.. meaning you have 3 desktops wide and 2 high! (you can have 3 high and up to 5 wide, maybe more, but impractical :wink: ) Now you can have many and not use the whole pager :lol: (see screeny)

Cheers :D
Attachments
jwm.png
(39.09 KiB) Downloaded 1337 times

01micko

#239 Post by 01micko »

Ok folks, the latest spup is now uploading, won't be very long!

There are numerous changes for you to test/check out.

-the latest ROX from git
-the latest jwm as at 26 December
-many package updates
-fixed nvidia drivers (if you have older ones delete them and start fresh)
-much more stuff

It is built from woof 22 December but I understand Barry has the latest 29 December woof ready, oh well! I leave this out for at least a week before I update again!

There are delta files for the main iso and the devx.

See main Post

Cheers and enjoy!

James C

#240 Post by James C »

Already burning a cd........................... :lol: