For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
don570

speed improvements

#621 Post by don570 »

For maximum speed here are some suggestions:

First start by inserting the following 3 lines in appropriate
section of the hidden file /root/.jwmrc-tray

Code: Select all

<TrayButton popup="ROX-Filer" icon="ROX-Filer.xpm">exec:/usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer/ROX-Filer</TrayButton>
		<TrayButton popup="mhwaveedit" icon="mhwaveedit.xpm">exec:mhwaveedit</TrayButton>
		<TrayButton popup="LXTerminal" icon="mini-term.xpm">exec:lxterminal</TrayButton>
Now open the folder /root/Startup and put 3 files in 'DisabledItems' folder
0_show_widgets
lxpanel
wstart

To see the results restart X . You will see new icons in the bottom tray
and no more eye candy.

For a simpler home folder turn off the showing of hidden files.

Right click in some empty space in a Rox window
Display > Show Hidden
must be turned off

To make the setting persist...
Display > Save Current Display settings

To avoid creating Thumbnail pictures by Rox:

Display > Show Thumbnails
make sure that this is turned off for max speed

Edit: To make this setting for thumbnails for all folders...
Display > Save Current Display settings
Make sure that 'thumbnails' is chosen
(a bit confusing!!)

Other Rox Filer tricks that I find useful...

Double click in some empty space in window to make the window
bigger to fit all icons.

Middle button click of folder icon will open the folder in a new window.
The old window remains.

A middle button click of the home icon at the top of the Rox window
will open it and leave the current undisturbed. Neat! :)
Last edited by don570 on Wed 22 Dec 2010, 20:25, edited 1 time in total.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#622 Post by Béèm »

ICPUG wrote:One of the things that Lighthouse would benefit from is a Control Panel. In fact all puppies should have it. It has often been requested and I have never seen an argument why it should not be there, yet it has not been implemented very often in the mainstream pups.

A Control Panel was in Puppy 4.2.1, I think, and I think I read that Fluppy had it.

I suddenly realised this omission when I was footling around the menus trying to find flsynclient to make my touchpad scroll. Does LHP have flsynclient? I found a script with that name but not an executable.
There was one in 4.40CE, but isn't developed anymore.
And yes Jemimah did a good job in fluppy with the control panel.
And not known as special, toutou 4.3.1 FAT, the French version of puppy has a nice approach also.
Playdayz seems to be deaf for such requests.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

its-me-again

#623 Post by its-me-again »

this is interesting the new version of lighthouse is 500-g yet the base os is 501.sfs. i think it should be called lhp-501 now right. it is confusing now as to withc pps run on 501

also urgently need the latest version of pidgin sfs for lighthpuse. pidgin 2.7.7 has a built in msn fix older versions still have problems with it. even when i try to add the new certificate in teh /.purple fiolder as instructed. i still sometimes get teh error in pidgin.
also other sfs files could be updated to later ones. some people dont want to make teh save fill big so pets are not as user friendly.

the version of skype found herehttp://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/quirky/sfs/skype-forum.html works would like an update for lighthouse. as in teh latest one. fcompiled from .slackware repos or whatever you use. I hope there is more than one developer in the team.
from the look of teh post it seems to be that way.

I really do prefer e-sword. adn would like it to be outside save file.. as its so big with all the usual addons i use. as i understand things e-sword and wine apps. cant be moved outside save file, if i am wrong please corect me. bible time sfs works on lighthouse.

Jim1911

#624 Post by Jim1911 »

its-me-again wrote:I really do prefer e-sword. adn would like it to be outside save file.. as its so big with all the usual addons i use. as i understand things e-sword and wine apps. cant be moved outside save file, if i am wrong please corect me. bible time sfs works on lighthouse.
You are wrong. Just move both .wine and .wine-esword to /mnt/home from /root/ and do a relative link back from .wine and .wine-esword to /root/.

novellahub

Conky

#625 Post by novellahub »

How do you disable conky starting up? My laptop I am running on does not have video hardware acceleration (Trident) and is causing high CPU usage and screen flickering. I can get around it by killing conky after everything starts up.
Joe
Lupu 5.28

tazoc

Re: Conky

#626 Post by tazoc »

novellahub wrote:How do you disable conky starting up? My laptop I am running on does not have video hardware acceleration (Trident) and is causing high CPU usage and screen flickering. I can get around it by killing conky after everything starts up.
Pwidgets uses conky for most of its widgets. If you want to keep some widgets, but not others (ex, Analog Clock) click on the Pwidgets icon, select the widgets you don't want and click the '-' remove button, then apply. To remove the CPU and Mem graphs, uncheck 'Apply cluster info' and then Apply.

If you just want to disable Pwidgets altogether, click File | Stop/Start Pwidgets, or like don570 suggested, open /Startup and move 0_show_widgets into /Startup/DisabledItems. Same with ConkyDelayed, although by default in LHP it is already there.

If you don't need the Wbar launcher bar, also move /Startup/wstart into /Startup/DisableItems.
-TazOC
[url=http://www.lhpup.org/][b][size=100]lhpup.org[/size][/b] [img]http://www.lhpup.org/gallery/images/favicon.png[/img][/url] [url=http://www.lhpup.org/release-lhp.htm#602]Lighthouse 64 6.02[/url]

tazoc

#627 Post by tazoc »

ICPUG wrote:One of the things that Lighthouse would benefit from is a Control Panel. In fact all puppies should have it. It has often been requested and I have never seen an argument why it should not be there, yet it has not been implemented very often in the mainstream pups.
An all-inclusive control panel for Lighthouse should detect the current window manager/desktop and display only items that apply to that wm. Since there are 4-6 wms, depending on your setup, that would be a difficult app to write. Actually KDE and Xfce each has its own control panel, so really there are 4 wms to cover. JWM, IceWM, LXDE and Openbox. IceWM has the new IceWM Configuration by 01Micko and JWM has JWM Configuration, both in the Desktop/Settings Menu.

The closest thing Lighthouse has to a system-wide control panel is 2 apps, the Setup icon on the desktop, and Lighthouse Look'n'Feel in the Wbar launcher. If anyone wants to write a Lighthouse Control Panel, just check the file ${HOME}/Choices/windowmanager for detection of the current desktop environment, where ${HOME} is the current user's home, either /root or /home/<username>.

Lighthouse doesn't include flsynclient, maybe there is one on the forum?
-TazOC
[url=http://www.lhpup.org/][b][size=100]lhpup.org[/size][/b] [img]http://www.lhpup.org/gallery/images/favicon.png[/img][/url] [url=http://www.lhpup.org/release-lhp.htm#602]Lighthouse 64 6.02[/url]

gcmartin

Window Manager

#628 Post by gcmartin »

Since for some, there is a need for a Control Panel, KDE does have something I think is akin to a Control Panel. There are also several Distros who also provide a reasonable Control Panel. These distro use KDE and GNOME although I think I might have spotted one distro using the window manager Enlightenment for its "control panel".

When I hear Control Panel, I think of Microsoft's implementation (OS2 also), where system configurations are done. In the modern world of Linux, YAST seems to come closest to matching Microsoft although they use a different approach to provide the same thing.

The next closest thing to a full Linux Control Panel is the http Control Panel called Webmin (which I swear by...BTW). But, until Puppy reaches critical mass, the authors may be reluctant to create a Puppy incarnation.

Puppies tend to be "stripped-down" distros and thus don't have the inclination because of Puppy ISO size issues to offer a "customized across the board control panel" that would run in all X-Windows Window Managers. If there was one, I'm sure every incarnation of Linux would use it same as they do with TOP. (lot of work to achieve all the differing peripheral configurations as well as all the differing system services. Big development effort starting from scratch but it might be manageable.)

Best offer for a "Control Panel like" application folder, from my 'personal' point of view, is a team to "extend" Webmin to Puppy.

Hope this helps.

its-me-again

#629 Post by its-me-again »

Jim1911 wrote:You are wrong. Just move both .wine and .wine-esword to /mnt/home from /root/ and do a relative link back from .wine and .wine-esword to /root/.
well i was unnder the impression that it cant be done from the coments taz said it cant be done. but i will try, no halm in testing. also i use it in another os os i may be able to have a shared directory ourside all os adn access it from them. worth a try. save space.

novellahub

Re: Conky

#630 Post by novellahub »

tazoc wrote:
novellahub wrote:How do you disable conky starting up? My laptop I am running on does not have video hardware acceleration (Trident) and is causing high CPU usage and screen flickering. I can get around it by killing conky after everything starts up.
Pwidgets uses conky for most of its widgets. If you want to keep some widgets, but not others (ex, Analog Clock) click on the Pwidgets icon, select the widgets you don't want and click the '-' remove button, then apply. To remove the CPU and Mem graphs, uncheck 'Apply cluster info' and then Apply.

If you just want to disable Pwidgets altogether, click File | Stop/Start Pwidgets, or like don570 suggested, open /Startup and move 0_show_widgets into /Startup/DisabledItems. Same with ConkyDelayed, although by default in LHP it is already there.

If you don't need the Wbar launcher bar, also move /Startup/wstart into /Startup/DisableItems.
-TazOC
Thank you TazOC. That did it.
Joe
Lupu 5.28

novellahub

Audacious

#631 Post by novellahub »

Has anyone tried WMA file playback in Audacious? It is failing for me missing ffaudio.so input plugin:

Audacious Boards Link

I was able to get the plug in from my Puppy 5.1.1 install Link but from what I understand, you need to re-compile audacious to load up the plug-in.
Joe
Lupu 5.28

radky

#632 Post by radky »

tazoc wrote:
An all-inclusive control panel for Lighthouse should detect the current window manager/desktop and display only items that apply to that wm. Since there are 4-6 wms, depending on your setup, that would be a difficult app to write. Actually KDE and Xfce each has its own control panel, so really there are 4 wms to cover. JWM, IceWM, LXDE and Openbox. IceWM has the new IceWM Configuration by 01Micko and JWM has JWM Configuration, both in the Desktop/Settings Menu.

The closest thing Lighthouse has to a system-wide control panel is 2 apps, the Setup icon on the desktop, and Lighthouse Look'n'Feel in the Wbar launcher. If anyone wants to write a Lighthouse Control Panel, just check the file ${HOME}/Choices/windowmanager for detection of the current desktop environment, where ${HOME} is the current user's home, either /root or /home/<username>.

-TazOC
TazOC

You might want to try PupControl-1.1 here. This is an all-inclusive control panel which automatically detects the current window manager and/or panel, and loads appropriate modules in each program category. It is configured to work with IceWm, JWM, Openbox, Fluxbox, LXDE, LXPanel, FBPanel, KDE3, KDE4, and XFCE. It also recognizes and calls the appropriate configuration managers for all of the above WMs and Panels, including the old (legacy) and new (01Micko and Jemimah) configuration managers for IceWM.

There is also the companion PupApps-1.1 here. This is a graphical application launcher that works with all of the above window managers and panels. Both PupApps and PupControl are standalone programs, but are closely integrated to allow quick access to most Puppy functions (PupControl) and applications (PupApps). They have been tested in Lighthouse Pup, and seem to work well.

Thanks,
radky

don570

some new software

#633 Post by don570 »

Here's the latest mtpaint 3.34.62 compiled in Lighthouse 4.43
http://www.datafilehost.com/download-279bfd07.html

It fixes a bug in the blend mode that causes a crash.
It existed since version 3.34.29

I made a small change to mtpaintsnapshot.sh
The change makes /root/my-documents/Screenshots
the default folder when you save your screenshot to disk

Available
http://www.datafilehost.com/download-0071173b.html

its-me-again

#634 Post by its-me-again »

one more thing i would like to know as lighthouse os becommng a bigger os than puppy linux. adn an os in its owne right. will you be creating a 64 bit os version. i would like to make ful use of my computer eg the full 4gigs of ram that came with my computer.

might me worth doing this.

I have also noticed that teh wine-esword does move some files to /home automaticly but not the actual addons adn main directory so whats the point.

Sage

#635 Post by Sage »

its-me-again :
Could we know where you live? Just edit your profile. It may be possible to help you some more.

ICPUG

#636 Post by ICPUG »

Thank you radky for pointing at your PupControl and PupApps pets. I'm going to be downloading and trying these out ASAP.

I act like a bit of a noob with regard to the Application Software forum and find its format a bit daunting if I am just looking for something particular. Consequently, I miss things like this.

Both of these apps seem very interesting. Everyone likes a control panel and from a quick look at the screenshot I would say PupApp fulfils the need of a Asus EEE701 type interface to puppy apps from Puppy.

Once again thanks.

tazoc

Re: Audacious

#637 Post by tazoc »

novellahub wrote:Has anyone tried WMA file playback in Audacious? It is failing for me missing ffaudio.so input plugin:
Hi Joe,
I noticed that a long time ago and couldn't figure out what was missing. The links and suggestions you gave were very helpful. I couldn't get the new Lucid pet to work in LHP, but I found the correct ffaudio.so and hunted down a couple other missing libs, and I will make sure WMA works in the next release, or build a pet after further testing.
Thanks,
TazOC

tazoc

Pidgin, Flash updates, progress on 5.02

#638 Post by tazoc »

Pidgin-2.7.7-i486-1-L1.pet Pidgin Internet Messenger (by request)

Pidgin_NLS-2.7.7.pet International language support for Pidgin

Flash-10.1.102.65.pet Adobe Flash Player Update

I just added these to Lighthouse Update plus Kompozer-0.8b.pet which was somehow left out earlier.

I'm working on the next release; as suggested it will be 5.02, build 502. Hope to have it ready soon. Has several bug fixes... I was working on some bugs in the initscript gcmartin and others found and decided that if the main file and zWine were copied to RAM, why not all SFS files? So if continued testing of my scripting is positive, build 502 allows selection and copy2ram of all SFS add-ons at boot-time, LiveCD or frugal install. Low spec machines with less RAM will copy as many as will fit, and mount the rest from boot media.

You'll be able to select which SFS, if any to load and whether or not you want them to copy2ram--when your machine starts up, and then the SFS modules will be layered into the main file system, each SFS in its own layer, just like with the Bootmanager. (Bootmanager will work also, but this new arrangement gives you control much earlier in the process and allows everything to load in RAM at first boot, or any boot.)

I've been running Mariner, KDE, devx, kernel source and a dozen or so SFS files, all copied and running in RAM with no issues so far. Apps open very fast and the boot media can be unmounted. None of them reside in the top (pupsave) layer, and because SFS files are compressed, they make very efficient use of available RAM. I will post a bootinit.log shortly.

Hope you all have a very Happy Holiday,
TazOC

Q5sys

#639 Post by Q5sys »

its-me-again wrote:one more thing i would like to know as lighthouse os becommng a bigger os than puppy linux. adn an os in its owne right. will you be creating a 64 bit os version. i would like to make ful use of my computer eg the full 4gigs of ram that came with my computer.

might me worth doing this.
Taking a 32 bit OS and making it into a 64bit OS is no easy task. It takes an incredible amount of time and work. Not to mention that it brings up all sorts of other conflicts along the way; eg. flash on a 64bit linux still is majorly flakey from time to time.

Taz,
You mentioned going to a new base with the next possible version. You had mentioned somewhere about going with the 64bit puplet. Are you really considering this? I'd hate to see you have to start over from ground zero by jumping into the 64bit waters. Realisticly... I dont perceive any gain by having a 64 bit puppy. Ok yes we can use more than 3gb of ram... but when is that really needed with a properly configured puplet? I run LHP with 2 or 3 Vbox's running at the same time and have never run into low memory issues. As far as computing performance, if someone (including myself) really needs to push their hardware to the bleeding edge... puppy really isnt the proper choice for that task. Puppy is great, imho because its focused on certain areas where it accels. Thats like taking a massive gas guzzling SUV and trying to turn it into a economical vehicle. But hey... thats just my opinion. heh
If you dont go the 64bit route, do you think you'll start with one of the ubuntuish based puplets or one of the slackware ones? spup is looking really appealing right now to me.
I havent had time to tinker with 5G yet. I was going to compile the latest Intel drivers, but to use anything past Q1 2010, we'll have to have a newer kernel. (2.6.34 for Q2 and 2.6.35 for Q3) I anticipate that Q4 will require 2.6.36... however knowing Intel, they'll decided to require 2.6.37 since it'll be released in the next few weeks.

Also, I'm going to wait and do bug testing on your next release, as it'll have fixes for all the known stuff thats been worked on the last few pages. That way I dont have to worry about running into what everyone else already has. Great work man. Always happy to see your new releases.

tazoc

#640 Post by tazoc »

Q5sys wrote:Taz,
You mentioned going to a new base with the next possible version. You had mentioned somewhere about going with the 64bit puplet. Are you really considering this? I'd hate to see you have to start over from ground zero by jumping into the 64bit waters.
I havent had time to tinker with 5G yet. I was going to compile the latest Intel drivers, but to use anything past Q1 2010, we'll have to have a newer kernel. (2.6.34 for Q2 and 2.6.35 for Q3) I anticipate that Q4 will require 2.6.36... however knowing Intel, they'll decided to require 2.6.37 since it'll be released in the next few weeks.
Hi Q5sys,
LHP 5.02 will be the same kernel and 32 bit. I haven't had a chance to explore 64 bit in depth yet, You are right about a lot of work recompiling, updating core libs, all apps and so on! And if flash64 is still buggy that would be a showstopper.

Thanks for the guidance on kernels for Intel. I do plan to move to a more recent kernel for 5.1 or so. That may not be ready until sometime in the Spring. I have no idea which base I'll use yet. I'm focusing on 5.02 right now.
-TazOC