Touchscreen HOWTO

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
CoronelN

#41 Post by CoronelN »

sorry double post....

tempestuous

#42 Post by tempestuous »

CoronelN wrote:I did a inputattch -debug /dev/ttySX until i found that /dev/ttyS2 gives me gibberish in the console when i press the touchscreen... so i assume the TS is on ttyS2 not in 4
OK, that's good diagnosis.
I suggest you also have a look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log, looking for anything relating to the "evtouch" plugin.

I have a feeling you will need a revised kernel image, which will provide the extra logic for the serial driver to talk to the touchscreen driver.
I can compile this shortly after Christmas.
CoronelN wrote:tried to delete the files in
/usr/X11R7/lib/xorg/modules/input/
the window just froze and the files did not delete.

Q: the are a lot of files in there also are you sure i need to delete them all?
Mmm, there should not be anything in there in Puppy 5.1.x

CoronelN

#43 Post by CoronelN »

Thanks again!

I managed to recover from the blank screen, by commenting the touchscreen lines out in:

/etc/rc.d/rc.local

Unfortunately XORG decided that it needed to run the wizard and it destroyed my previos xorg.conf but there was an .old one in the folder so i recovered it

I am still struggling to get rid of a second panel /task bar that appeared after that and trying to figure out why my script in startup stopped mounting the samba shares...

I did a selective
/etc/rc.d/rc.local

enabling and by commenting the
toughbooksmk X asks me to run the wizard (I hit ignore, but still black screen)

I just remembered that in /etc/X11/xorg.conf file is a module section and i added the evdev and the toughtbooksmk in the form:

load "modulename"

because modprobe was telling me that:
WARNING: Deprecated config file /etc/modprobe.conf, all config files belong into /etc/modprobe.d

That didn't work neither...
Finally i commented in /etc/X11/xorg.conf
the line:
InputDevice "touchscreen" "CorePointer"

and Xwin started but the menu items for restart X server and reboot power off are nt working also y have the annoyng double taskbar...

Once i solved this i will re-post with touchscreen related actions...

:(

tempestuous

#44 Post by tempestuous »

To avoid messing up your installation I suggest in the testing phase you just boot to the Puppy 5.1 CD, and restart X (Ctrl<Alt>Backspace) each time you change your xorg.conf file. And of course once X has launched, you need to run the "inputattach" command to activate the touchscreen.
CoronelN wrote:... modprobe was telling me that:
WARNING: Deprecated config file /etc/modprobe.conf, all config files belong into /etc/modprobe.d
Don't worry about that, it's just a warning to update the old /etc/modprobe.conf regime, but the old regime is still recognised.
CoronelN wrote:I just remembered that in /etc/X11/xorg.conf file is a module section and i added the evdev and the toughtbooksmk in the form:

load "modulename"
I don't think that will work. My understanding is that "modulename" refers to an Xorg module or extension, not kernel module.
Yes, some Xorg modules contain logic which will load a kernel module (Xorg DRI modules, for example) but I don't think Xorg can directly load a kernel module.
But there's no need to make things so complex anyway, just run these 2 commands

Code: Select all

modprobe toughbooksmk
modprobe evdev
And I still suspect you will need a revised kernel, which will need to wait.

CoronelN

#45 Post by CoronelN »

tempestuous thanks again!

I have not found out how to unbreak what i broke :( but it is surprisingly easy to break :D even thou i dont know what it is lol...

I just realized myself that i will need to reinstall again the puppy and that i definitively will use 2 install.. 1 to use the laptop and another to get that bloody TS working...

I will do it and keep you posted in case the kennel (puppy kernel :D) needs to be modified...
BTW i am running LUPU-515 i just checked... :D

So if i boot from the CD i should:
From the console:
modprobe toughtbooksmk
modprobe evdev
set serial etc...
inputattach xxxx

edit the xorg.conf and restart X (CTRL ALT BSPACE) and xwin ?

and it should work if it is gonna work ?

I tried from the CD and upon modding the xorg.conf X refused to start used xorgwizard and it broke the menus had to hard boot the machine... maybe there is a bug in xorgwizard ?

Merry xmas mate and have i said thanks?

tempestuous

#46 Post by tempestuous »

Yes, I can see it's getting confusing. So here are the complete steps:
Boot to the Puppy 5.1 CD, and install toughbooksmk-k2.6.33.2.pet
Now load the toughbooksmk module, plus evdev module -

modprobe toughbooksmk
modprobe evdev
It may be necessary to add this to /etc/modules.conf -

alias char-major-13-67 evdev
It wouldn't hurt.
Now modify your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file;
Add these two new InputDevice sections -

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "touchscreen"
    Driver "evtouch"
    Option "Device" "/dev/ttyS2"
    Option "DeviceName" "touchscreen"
    Option "MinX" "82"
    Option "MinY" "146"
    Option "MaxX" "4036"
    Option "MaxY" "3999"
    Option "SendCoreEvents" "On"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "dummy"
    Driver "void"
    Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
EndSection
Notice ttyS2.
In Section "ServerLayout" find the line:
InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
and below that line add this -

InputDevice "touchscreen" "CorePointer"
InputDevice "dummy"
Now it's time to restart the X server.
Ctrl<Alt>Backspace will exit X and leave you at the command prompt.

UPDATE: before relaunching X, it's very important to run this command -

inputattach -smk /dev/ttyS2
Now you can launch X with "xwin"
Last edited by tempestuous on Tue 28 Dec 2010, 02:46, edited 1 time in total.

CoronelN

#47 Post by CoronelN »

Thanks mate

It did not start and had to run the xorg wizard...
Looks like i will need that compiled kernel... if only i knew how to do it myself.

Merry Xmas
N

tempestuous

#48 Post by tempestuous »

CoronelN, I'm back from Christmas break, but before I compile the modified kernel, I realise that it's very important to run the "inputattach ..." command before X is launched.
I have updated the instructions two posts earlier. Can you try this? You might be lucky and not need a modified kernel.

CoronelN

#49 Post by CoronelN »

Tempestuos, thanks you very much i hope you spent a nice xmas and the next year be all that you expect! (my way of best wishes in my esp-fran-glish..)

I tried as you suggested and X11 doenst starts.

maybe i need that kernel after all... one question thou... whenever i update to a newer version of puppy lets say lupu-518 or 520... i will need to apply the kernel ?
I mean as far as i undersand the kernel doesnt necessarly changes between versoins... or i am wrong ?

my question is because if i need a new kernel each time i'd rather ask you to show me how to compile it than brother you every update...

Thanks again ! a 1000 thanks!
N

mcelmeel

#50 Post by mcelmeel »

Hi,

I am completely new to Linux and obviously Puppy 5.1.1 and have spent the last 2 days working out how to create a Puppy LiveUSB and install Java and run a Java app. I finally got that all working and now the problem i have is getting my Elo touchscreen working correctly. I run the xorg wizard and probed for a suitable driver and then used xvidtune to fill out the space. So the display is working fine but its the touch input that i'm having the trouble with.

This thread has brought some light to my situation. i have read through it thourghly and have a small understanding of what I need to do but still don't really know where to start.

I put the command into the console;
modprobe elo and got a warning: deprecated config file so i renamed the file with a .OLD extention as advised by another website.

Then i entered the command again which seemed to work correctly. Then i entered modprobe elographics_drv and got error FATAL: Module elographics_drv not found. The module is definately there as I have found it in a search of files.

If anyone would be able to give me some help or guide me through this process, I would be extremely grateful.

Thanks,

Anthony

tempestuous

#51 Post by tempestuous »

mcelmeel wrote:now the problem i have is getting my Elo touchscreen working correctly.
I can give you some advice regarding this particular touchscreen driver, but I cannot guarantee it's actually the correct touchscreen driver for you.
You should really tell us exactly what your computer hardware is.
mcelmeel wrote:i have read through it thourghly and have a small understanding of what I need to do but still don't really know where to start.
Well assuming the elo touchscreen driver is correct, you should refer to the earlier post in this thread
"HOWTO - serial touchscreens"
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 651#295651
Your kernel module would be elo and your Xorg input plugin would be elographics or elo2300 (the "_drv" extension should not be used in the xorg.conf file).
mcelmeel wrote:I put the command into the console;
modprobe elo and got a warning: deprecated config file
That error message is trivial. Your elo kernel module would have loaded just fine ... but is the elo module really correct for you?
mcelmeel wrote:Then i entered modprobe elographics_drv and got error FATAL: Module elographics_drv not found.
No, no. "elographics_drv" is an Xorg input plugin, not a kernel module. It's not loaded by the modprobe command, it's loaded by the Xorg server, after being configured in the xorg.conf file.

tempestuous

#52 Post by tempestuous »

CoronelN, I have sent you information regarding a modified kernel by private message.

mcelmeel

#53 Post by mcelmeel »

Hi tempestuous,

Thank-you very much for your reply. The exact monitor I'm using is a Elo Entuitive 1746L/1749L. The computer hardware is a Neoware Thin Client (Neoware CA19).

I have checked the Elo website for drivers and they provide drivers for the popular Linux OS but not for Puppy.

mcelmeel

#54 Post by mcelmeel »

Hi,

I think I may mis understood the instructions at the start of the thread. Do i enter into the console;

modprobe elo
modprobe evdev ## (i thought this was part of the fijitsu example only)

tempestuous

#55 Post by tempestuous »

Yes, both.

mcelmeel

#56 Post by mcelmeel »

I have done that and am in the middle of editing the xorg.conf file. I set the driver as elographics but i have found another thread where a guy has got his elo touchscreen to work using driver evtouch. Do you think i should try this instead? Thanks.

mcelmeel

#57 Post by mcelmeel »

just realised that it was an ubuntu forum, so maybe just stick with the elographics. I was looking for the minX settings, do you think they will be the same as a different Linux distro?

mcelmeel

#58 Post by mcelmeel »

OK, I'm still trying to get the touchscreen input working and am getting closer and learning more but just can't get it right.

Its a usb input so i'm using the usbtouchscreen kernel module and evtouch xorg file.

i followed the instructions very carefully and edited the xorg.conf file correctly with the new device data copied exactly from the post as well as the code into System Layout.

Everytime i do it and then reboot, it says that X has not worked correctly or something and that I have to run xorgwizard again.

I have tried several times with no joy. Have you any idea what I may be doing wrong?

Also, each time i start the first instruction;

modprobe usbtouchscreen
modprobe evdev ##

i get the error: deprecated file /etc/modprobe.conf and i have to rename the file .OLD. Would this have anything to do with it not working as the same error message displays during the reboot right befire the X thing?

mcelmeel

#59 Post by mcelmeel »

Hi, I have tried the whole process again with still the same outcome, X will not run and i have to run the xorgwizard again everytime.

I deleted my lupusave file so that all settings were reset (i think thats what happens) and then i started the whole install again with the same outcome.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

mcelmeel

#60 Post by mcelmeel »

sorry guys if i seem to be filling this thread up with just my posts but i want to give as much info as possible incase someone is able to help.

what is happening is that when i follow the instructions and add all the code to xorg.conf, then when i restart the x server the following happens

FATAL: deprecated etc/modprobe.conf something something /etc/modprobe.d/

Starting X...
Exiting X
xwin [f95|wnm] to start x
If x did not start, enter xorgwizard. poweroff or reboot.

i get this everytiime or something like this as it is all from memory as i can not copy it. I have to run the xorgwizard each time to get the system working again and when this is done, all the code entered into xorg.conf is gone.

Also, there is reaction from the mouse pointer via touch but it is well off calibration but i can not change this since the code is gone inc MinX,MinY etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.