Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 07 Jul 2020, 03:45
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Puppy 511 with Tamil 99 keyboard
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]  
veejay

PostPosted: Thu 23 Dec 2010, 07:05    Post subject:  Puppy 511 with Tamil 99 keyboard
Subject description: SCIM with Tamil 99 keyboard

Hai,

Now after installing SCIM in Puppy, if you need Tamil 99 keyboard layout typing..

please download the attached file.

copy and paste in folder ...> /usr/share/m17n

or

copy and paste in folder ...> /usr/share/scim/tables

reboot once. now you get tamil 99 keyboard in your scim settings.

regards
vr
ta-tamil99.zip
Description  Tamil99 keyboard layout file is attached. please insert in proper place as instructed above
zip

Download 
Filename  ta-tamil99.zip 
Filesize  5.56 KB 
Downloaded  202 Time(s) 
Abdurazak

PostPosted: Mon 12 Sep 2011, 13:39    Post subject: Tamil 99 keyboard, SCIM
Subject description: Failed to install Tamil 99 keyboard. Help to install a keyboard from .mim file is required

I am using puppy 5.28 in RAM mode. The instructions in the post were carried out but I could not install the Tamil 99 keyboard. I believe that converting a .mim file to a .bin file will solve my problem. I request the forum members to supply me the method. A detailed description of my effort is given below.

From http://www.ildc.in/Tamil/images/TMOTKapilan_N_Ship.ttf downloaded the Tamil unicode font font TMOTKapilan_N_Ship.ttf to /usr/share/fonts/default/TTF/

From http://puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet.net/Scim/ the file scim-1.4.9-i486.pet was downloaded and installed by clicking on the downloaded file name. The directory /usr/share/scim/ was created but not /usr/share/scim/tables. So scim-tables-0.5.9-i486.pet was installed. /usr/share/scim/tables was created. It contained only bin files. In particular Tamil-inscript.bin, Tamil-phonetic.bin and Tamil-remington.bin

ta-tamil99.zip was downloaded from the link given in the post and extracted the file ta-tamil99.mim to /usr/share/scim/tables and restarted X(menu>shutdown>Restart X server. A reboot was not performed as puppy was running in RAM).

By using the menu>utility>scim input method setup>frontEnd Global set up, the keyboard was changed to English(US) and Control+space was retained to trigger the input method. Tamil was present in IMEngine Global set up.

Abiword was opened and Control+space did not trigger anything.

Next I installed scim-bridge-0.4.16-i486.pet and restarted X. Abiword was opened and Control+space pressed. The option for choosing language appeared at the bottom right corner from which Tamil was chosen by clicking on the language name. Unfortunately it did not list Tamil 99 keyboard, though it listed Inscript, Phonetics and Remington keyboards. We may type in Tamil using them.

Next I installed scim-m17n-0.2.3-i486.pet. The directory /usr/share/m17n was not seen. But the following files were present. I did not know what they are and what to do with them.

/root/.packages/scim-m17n-0.2.3-i486.files
/usr/lib/scim-1.0/1.4.0/IMEngine/m17n.a
/usr/lib/scim-1.0/1.4.0/IMEngine/m17n.la
/usr/lib/scim-1.0/1.4.0/IMEngine/m17n.so
/usr/share/scim/icons/scim-m17n.png

So my effort to use Tamil 99 keyboard failed.

The file ta-tamil99.mim is luring me. I believe that by editing this file, it is possible to customise the keyboard. But I do not know how to construct an input method from a .mim file. I believe that the problem will be solved if the .mim file is converted to a .bin file and saved in /usr/share/scim/tables. Help is required.

I want to know more about SCIM, SCIM bridge, SCIM tables and m17n. I wish to get more details or URLs of tutorials. Searching the web only gives me methods for implementing a particular input method using built in files. What I want to know is how these built in files are created.

Thanks in advance
abdurazakmp@gmail.com
veejay

PostPosted: Sun 25 Sep 2011, 21:08    Post subject:  

Dear Abdurazak,

You are moved in a correct direction. Still let me consolidate the process again.

1. I have installed the following packaging in my puppy 528 frutal and harddisk installation. (which is working fine for tam99 keyboard)

scim-1.4.9-i486.pet
scim-bridge-0.4.16.-i486.pet
scim-tables-0.59-i486.pet
scim-m17n-0.2.3-i486.pet
m17n-db-1.5.5-i486.pet
m17n-lib-1.5.5-i486.pet

2. Restart X.

3. Download tam99.mim file from above link.

4. copy and paste in folder ...> /usr/share/m17n

5. Restart X

Configure SCIM setup. For configuring SCIM, please open the SCIM setup, under IMEngine, select Global setup. Rightside under Tamil sure you will find Tamil99 keyboard. enable that.

thanks and regards
Vr
Abdurazak

PostPosted: Mon 26 Sep 2011, 14:32    Post subject:  

Dear Veejay,
I got it right. Very much thanks. Valuable information for customisation of keyboard. Also kindly see http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?search_id=1598196266&t=71973
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: