Lucid Puppy 5.2 Official Release JAN 5 2011

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
playdayz

Lucid Puppy 5.2 Official Release JAN 5 2011

#1 Post by playdayz »

Over 3 Months in Development - Over 230 pages in the forum - Over 50 contributors

Instant Update 001 for Lucid 5.2

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... 52-001.pet

This is *not* a crucial bug-fix update because we simply have not found enough bugs to justify that. However it does contain a few nice enhancements.

=> PupControl 1.3 by radky starts with the Setup Icon on the desktop

=> Desksetup Icon Templates by 01micko to make it easy to adjust icon placement on Desktop

=> Quickpet 4.1 - the latest version by 01micko, updates the contents of Puppy Package Manager and SFS Get - There are a lot of nice new packages available - including both LibreOffice3 3.3 and OpenOffice 3.3 prepared by jim1911

=> gparted 0.5.1 - reverted because some people had trouble - if you want 0.6.2 it is in PPM

If you are already using PupComboPlus (which includes PupControl 1.3 and Desksetup) this will install right over it.
You can also install PupComboPlus over this update (LupuNews -> Fun tab).
To create Lucid Puppy 5.2 we began with the popular Lucid Puppy 5.1.1. We then upgraded, updated, and/or improved all of the main programs as well as many of the other programs in the menu and system. We have incorporated numerous improvements from the latest version of Barry Kauler’s Puppy Builder, Woof. We have refined operation throughout.

This ***IS*** the official release of Lucid 5.2. It is the exact same as the Lupu-520 RC so if you downloaded that you already have it

Open Quickpet to the News tab and go to LupuNews for Tips & Tweaks. There is some information on upgrading below. If you are new to Puppy, please download the Lucid Puppy lupu-520.iso and burn that to a disk, then simply boot the disk .

Lupu-520 ->
http://www.diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/lupu-520.iso
37a843833b65e8246bb08c2913b823a3 lupu-520.iso

Please get the Devx in Quickpet -> SFS Get
You should be able to 1) Quickpet -> File -> Preferences -> ibiblio.org, and then 2) Quickpet -> SFS Get -> Gnu C Compiler lupu_devx_520.sfs You must create a lupusave.sfs file first.

Delta lupu-519 -> lupu-520
http://www.diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/l ... .iso.delta
9507132c654fbebde2b0ac5bbabcd089

Lupu_devx_520 ->
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... vx_520.sfs
19b0afbd87fc8cfa172a18111e95bdae lupu_devx_520.sfs

Tips on Updating

1. Fresh installs don't have any update problems Wink
2. Live CD updates of the lupusave file seem to not have problems. Boot the new CD and if you have more than one lupusave file, choose which to update.
3. Full install updates seem to be OK also. Boot the new CD with 'pfix=ram' and then use Puppy Universal Installer to do a Full Install -> Upgrade.
4. Before any attempt at a frugal update--***Back up the lupusave file***

Manual frugal update
--Copy the new files into an existing Lupu folder or, copy the lupusave file into a folder that you have just created by doing a frugal install.

--> Before any attempt at an update, uninstall LXDE if it is installed.
--> After upgrade, Sylpheed -> Configuration -> Common Preferences -> Details -> External Commands -> Web browser -> sensible-browser '%s' This enables the Sylpheed Help.

Native Language Versions by don570 with hanks to shinobar for the language-packs.

check out
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 94&t=64184
for a German language version.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 94&t=64088
for a French language version.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 94&t=64177
for the Spanish language version.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Lucid Puppy 5.2 is a Puppy through and through. What that means is that the *architecture* is pure Puppy--it just happens to be that many of the building materials (applications, utilities, libraries) are Ubuntu binaries. With Puppy founder Barry Kauler’s Woof Build System the packages could just as easily have been Slackware or Arch binaries. In fact, the Wary Puppy that Kauler recently released to bring the advantages of Puppy to vintage hardware was also built with Woof, using compiled T2 binaries. One of the innovative features of Lucid Puppy is Quickpet, a multi-purpose tool to install additional software, diagnose and install advanced graphics, and open LupuNews with its several tabs of Tips and Tricks and Instant Updates.

The first thing up is a very tidy Quickset dialog to accept or change video resolution, timezone, language/locale and keyboard. Next up could be the Browser Installer--which of the major browsers would you like to use--even more than one, with Browser-Default allowing you to change which one you use as the default. And then there’s Quickpet--with as much good stuff as a Swiss Army Knife. There are three tabs worth of great Linux programs that you can install with a single-click, all tested and configured for Lucid Puppy. There’s another tab to install larger programs in the Puppy sfs format, also with a single-click of course. Still in Quickpet, there is a Drivers tab that will analyze your system and recommend which video driver you should use to get the best video--and click to install it. Finally in Quickpet is LupuNews, with one-click instant updates, recommended Tweaks (with links), and the latest News.

Quickpet will also open the Puppy Package Manager which is chock full of even more programs tested and configured for Lucid Puppy, including language packs for 11 different languages. PPM has other window managers ready to install, XFCE and Fluxbox, but Lucid even has JWM built in as an alternate--and of course a WM Switcher to make it all simple. Puppy is still a compact distro, fast and lean, but with all of these resources there is nothing it cannot do. We call it a full-featured compact distro.

Chief developer - 01micko, Honored developer - shinobar
Contributing developers - dejan555, iguleder, ttuuxxx, radky, tasmod, tazoc, coolpup, rhadon, smil99
Contributors - Jim1911, James C, JustGreg, CatDude, pa_mcclamrock, Tasgarth, ecube, gjuhasz, pemasu, Béèm, rhadon, rjbrewer, stu90, nooby, Lobster, 8-bit, tubeguy, prehistoric, smokey01, DaveS, Snail, aarf, gerry, Billtoo, darwinev0lved, Minnesota, don570, Eyes-Only, enhu, rcrsn51, scsijon, ICPUG, Abnormalter, Stripe, gur, sata80, scruffy, live, alec78,Jades, jpeps, ilanrab, flexxx, don570, Bigpup, mikeslr, einar, scsijon, phdzaps, Sylvander, sszindian, yarddog, morgonzola, jinx100, mave, jbv, crocosm, gcmartin, Bert, peebee, scsijon, cthisbear, sm6lod, mikeslr, Gyle, Terryphi, maxpro4u, Jemimah, technosaurus, and BarryK
Coordinator - playdayz (My apologies for the incompleteness of the list Thank you all.)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

There was a groundswell of great ideas and clever work from forum members, mainly concerning getting more docs to work out of the box (at virtually no cost in extra space!).

-> Abiword and Homebank have Help menu items
-> Gnumeric, mtpaint, sylpheed, and geany have docs from Help button in program (also Gimp in PPM, plus browsers have Help, so I think we are getting a good percentage of the most used programs))
-> killed two unreliable mirrors for puppy-lucid repo
-> Puppy Help--please get a full strength browser to use this feature (drop down menus)
-> the issue of updating icewm 5.11 should be fixed
-> latest Quickpet
-> cmake and automake reinforced the devx

Lupu-518 RC

Not much change. Good. Revert the e2fsprogs, but the very latest is in PPM; fix jwm config manager--remove gtk theme option (shinobar); latest Quickpet; gtkmoz; 01micko's games patch.

Please test installs and upgrades.

Lupu-517 Beta 3

alsawizard is OK again; slight problem in geany conf script is corrected; Psync 1.5 with no splash by request; problem with disappearing fbpanel tray should be solved; gnumeric should be solved by using ttuuxxx's build; the false dependencies in Puppy 2 that is a message from a full install should be corrected and gone; a fix for PPM verifying files from Barry. Are there any left? Will you find one?

Bigpup. We cannot fix Homebank--it does not have preferences to specify a browser; Podcast Grabber seems like it is working to me--it checked and downloaded a podcast; Yes, I haven't fixed the double menu entries. Thanks for your attention to detail.

Please test installs, especially full installs, and upgrades, full, frugal, and live cd. Thanks.

Announcing Lupu-516 Beta 2

Not much has been done to Lupu-515, which is the way it should be. We hope to do even less to lupu-516.

PupClockset has been reverted to 1.1--with an entry in the Desktop settings menu--because it was too late in the process to attach it to the clock without risking problems. However, version 1.2 is in PPM for those who prefer.

Puppy Package Manager no longer unsets localization when a pet is installed. Hopefully this will result in more stability in localization..

Shinobar's rc.shutdown fix that Barry has put into the latest Woof is included in Lupu-516.

Firewallstate has been modified and updated to 1.8 by tasmod to eliminate three options that relate to localization because the names of the respective files have changed.

Pfind, pfilesearch, and pprocess are updated to the latest versions. Pmusic, Pbackup, and grub4dos Help is back--I went a bit overboard deleting files in /usr/share/doc ;-)

The yaf-splash call in save2flash has been modified, to avoid localization problems.

Alsawizard Whew. If you have more than one sound card then alsawizard may not set up the card you choose the first time you run it--but it does seem to set up the card you choose the second time you run it. Sound should work automatically. If it does not, then try to enable it with retrovol and alsamixer F6. Alsawizard last and be prepared to run it twice.

Please also download this pet and install. It would be mandatory if you are going to use Alsawizard, please install this pet first.
http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/alsawizard_test.pet

Lupu-516 ->
http://www.diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/lupu-516.iso
206d4a420c09660067210d5d2a589b45 lupu-516.iso
Last edited by playdayz on Tue 08 Feb 2011, 22:03, edited 56 times in total.

yarddog

Lupu-516 Beta 2 released DEC 22

#2 Post by yarddog »

just created lupu-516 iso using delta files and lupu-515
worked great this time

James C

#3 Post by James C »

Lupu-516 live pfix=ram on the main Linux box.Wirking internet and correct screen resolution on boot.....but muted sound again.
Alsa Wizard did not detect onboard sound....see screenie.
Was able to use Retrovol to get sound working.......will reboot and create a save file to see if it is persistent.

Multimedia audio controller : VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 50)
Attachments
no sound.png
(36.46 KiB) Downloaded 38295 times

playdayz

#4 Post by playdayz »

Alsa Wizard did not detect onboard sound....see screenie.
Was able to use Retrovol to get sound working.......will reboot and create a save file to see if it is persistent.
Ah, James, I will have an experiment for you in a bit.

yarddog

Lupu-516 Beta 2 released DEC 22

#5 Post by yarddog »

booted live cd
installed seamonkey 2.0.11
changed time to 12 hr format using pupclockset 1.1
changed font color, weight and style using pupclockset 1.1
installed wbar
sound was not muted on bootup - works great out of the box

looks like a winner

regards
yarddog

playdayz

#6 Post by playdayz »

JamesC, Could you install this pet and rerun alswawizard. it is the reversion to alsawizard in Lucid 5.1.1. thanks.

James C

#7 Post by James C »

playdayz wrote:JamesC, Could you install this pet and rerun alswawizard. it is the reversion to alsawizard in Lucid 5.1.1. thanks.

Have rebooted 4 or 5 times....sound muted every reboot.
Will install pet and rerun Alsa Wizard. Back in a few. :)

playdayz

#8 Post by playdayz »

Do you usually have to run alsawizard. If retrovol works, I think you would be better off doing that and not running alsawizard--but once you have run alsawizard I think what's done is done.

James C

#9 Post by James C »

Looking good so far, let me reboot to make sure it's persistent.

Using Retrovol is not persistent.
Attachments
after pet.png
(12.99 KiB) Downloaded 38224 times

DaveS

#10 Post by DaveS »

Fresh frugal install and new save file. Sound card detected but speaker (not master) set at zero volume.
Otherwise all ok so far. BTW, standard download of Seamonkey 2.1b1 seems to be already way more stable than 2.11 and works really well with Lucy.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

James C

#11 Post by James C »

playdayz wrote:Do you usually have to run alsawizard. If retrovol works, I think you would be better off doing that and not running alsawizard--but once you have run alsawizard I think what's done is done.
On the initial boot I just used Retrovol, got sound working....muted on reboot. Repeated second time, sound muted on reboot. Then I tried Alsa Wizard, which failed.So Retrovol was not persistent before I tried Alsa...

James C

#12 Post by James C »

Installed the pet, ran Alsa Wizard...... sound working. Have rebooted twice...sound is persistent.I'll do a couple of more reboots to confirm but believe that solved it.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#13 Post by Béèm »

FRUGAL Lin'N'Win installed.
My applications seem to be running.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

James C

#14 Post by James C »

James C wrote:Installed the pet, ran Alsa Wizard...... sound working. Have rebooted twice...sound is persistent.I'll do a couple of more reboots to confirm but believe that solved it.
Thanks playdayz.........believe that pet solved it. A couple of more reboots and I still have sound. :)

01micko

#15 Post by 01micko »

James C wrote:Downloading.....
Download complete. :)
Béèm wrote:Downloading..........
Finished downloading.
Downloading ..
not finished yet.. :( ( :lol: )

The newer alsawizard is definitely buggy. There are similar reports in the spup thread.

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

playdayz

#16 Post by playdayz »

The newer alsawizard is definitely buggy. There are similar reports in the spup thread.
Yes, We had established that and we reverted in 245 or 246. However, in experimenting today I accidentally left the new one in the iso I built.

I cannot decide whether to rush out lupu-517 like in an hour, or to hold my breath until I turn blue!

I am thinking it is a good beta, except for that.
Last edited by playdayz on Wed 22 Dec 2010, 22:49, edited 1 time in total.

yarddog

#17 Post by yarddog »

playdayz wrote:
Yes, We had established that and we reverted in 245 or 246. However, in experimenting today I accidentally left the new one in the iso I built.

I cannot decide whether to rush out lupu-517 like in an hour, or to shoot myself in the head ;-)

I am thinking it is a good beta, except for that.
PLEASE do not shoot yourself in the head - we need you and would be lost without you

regards
yarddog

shinobar

Re: Lupu-516 Beta 2 released DEC 22

#18 Post by shinobar »

Congrats new thread!
playdayz wrote:Puppy Package Manager no longer unsets localization when a pet is installed. Hopefully this will result in more stability in localization..
Great, and confirmed :D
playdayz wrote:The yaf-splash call in save2flash has been modified, to avoid localization problems..
Also comfirmed.
BTW,

Code: Select all

yaf-splash -font "8x16" -text "日本語"
shows the UTF-8 characters correctly, while '/usr/X11R7/bin/yaf-splash -font "8x16" -text "日本語"' doesn't.
It's nice but i am puzzled... :roll:
(Lucu-516 + lang_pack_cjk-lupq-0.2.sfs)
Last edited by shinobar on Wed 22 Dec 2010, 22:18, edited 1 time in total.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

playdayz

#19 Post by playdayz »

PLEASE do not shoot yourself in the head
That's a colloquial saying where I live, but I was worried to say it on the forum. Never any worries :D :D :D

I changed it to more describe my level of maturity.

Last edited by playdayz on Wed 22 Dec 2010, 22:50, edited 2 times in total.

bigpup

#20 Post by bigpup »

A quick slap to the head with a Duh!
That would do! :D
Last edited by bigpup on Wed 22 Dec 2010, 22:21, edited 1 time in total.