RealVNC - remote desktop control

Configuration wizards, scanners, remote desktop, etc.
tempestuous

RealVNC - remote desktop control

#1 Post by tempestuous »

Here is the well known remote desktop control application from RealVNC,
which I have repackaged as a dotpet from binary files available on the RealVNC website.
This dotpet package includes both the VNC viewer, and server. Please note I cannot test these applications, myself.
If you're using Puppy as the server, launch with this command -

Code: Select all

vncserver
The server application requires perl, which Puppy 5.x already contains.

Or if you're using Puppy as the viewer, launch with this command -

vncviewer
For futher information, refer to /root/my-documents/vnc-README.txt

There are two different versions; one for Puppy 4.1/4.2/4.3 and one for Puppy 5.1/5.2. This is due to the different versions of Xorg involved, and the different configuration locations.
For Wary I think (??) that Puppy4 version will be compatible.

Both of these packages include an Xorg plugin, which is an alternative way of creating the vnc server, but this plugin is not compatible with any of the Puppy Xorg versions, so it can't be used.
Last edited by tempestuous on Mon 10 Jan 2011, 10:15, edited 2 times in total.

tempestuous

#2 Post by tempestuous »

If you want to do remote desktop control via VPN, there's a Cisco VPN client for Puppy 5.1/5.2 here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=63121

And I have added some notes there about Microsoft MPPT-MPPE VPN.

PupGeek

#3 Post by PupGeek »

Tempestuous:

I tried the vnc package that I posted yesterday and after a bunch of figuring out, I did get it to work, but it doesn't display my full graphical desktop or icons..... instead it displays the underlying "crosshatch pattern" of X with the "X" cursor and a terminal. Is it possible that I need to start jwm from that terminal to view my full desktop? (That idea hit me on the way to work this morning -- nowhere near my home computer). Anyways, I'm going to try yours out and see if that issue still appears. I'm still sort of a noob at this remote access/vnc/wol thing.

tempestuous

#4 Post by tempestuous »

PupGeek wrote:it doesn't display my full graphical desktop or icons..... instead it displays the underlying "crosshatch pattern" of X with the "X" cursor and a terminal. Is it possible that I need to start jwm from that terminal to view my full desktop?
Sorry, I don't know.
At the outset, is your network config 100% correct? Maybe the vncviewer is not receiving the server data?

Are you using Puppy as the vnc server, viewer, or both?
I must say that it sounds like a vnc server error ie. not sending the correct desktop information.
But if you're running a vnc server which is already known to work with other viewer clients, then clearly the viewer is at fault.

EDIT - vnc Xorg plugin comments removed. See next post.

tempestuous

#5 Post by tempestuous »

Update, regarding the vnc Xorg plugin: it's an alternative method of creating a vnc server.
In cases where you are using Puppy 5.1 as a VNC server, instead of running the vncserver application, you could do this instead - open /etc/X11/xorg.conf in Geany. In the "Module" section add this line

Load  "vnc"
Save. Restart X, or reboot.
Now look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log to see if the vnc server process was created.

PupGeek

#6 Post by PupGeek »

When starting the vncserver on puppy, it would start using screen 1 instead of 0. I couldn't get Xvnc to start with :0, so I ended up using x11vnc and now it works fine both ways. I may try out the Load "vnc" tweak to the xorg.conf just to see if it works though.

sardineman

#7 Post by sardineman »

tempestuous wrote:Update, regarding the vnc Xorg plugin: it's an alternative method of creating a vnc server.
In cases where you are using Puppy 5.1 as a VNC server, instead of running the vncserver application, you could do this instead - open /etc/X11/xorg.conf in Geany. In the "Module" section add this line

Load  "vnc"
Save. Restart X, or reboot.
Now look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log to see if the vnc server process was created.
When I try this on Puppy 5.2, it fails with the following log message:

(II) LoadModule: "vnc"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/vnc.so
dlopen: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/vnc.so: undefined symbol: NumCurrentSelections
(EE) Failed to load /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/vnc.so
(II) UnloadModule: "vnc"
(EE) Failed to load module "vnc" (loader failed, 7)

tempestuous

#8 Post by tempestuous »

sardineman, I did some digging and I see that the Xorg plugin needs to be compiled under the relevant version of Xorg, and the Xorg binary, too, may need to be modified.
I then attempted to compile the Xorg plugin from vnc source code, and this failed with many errors.
So the Xorg plugin is a no-go, at least under Puppy 5.x.

tempestuous

#9 Post by tempestuous »

I just did some testing with this package on my own Puppy 5.1 installation. I discovered a number of errors, mainly relating to Xorg configuration files not being in the location expected by vnc.
Also, the "xauth" utility is needed under Puppy 5.1/5.2.
So I have fixed these problems, and repackaged vnc in the first post. There are now two different versions; one for Puppy 4.1/4.2/4.3 and one for Puppy 5.1/5.2.

Under Puppy 5.1 I can now run the "vncserver" command, and after creating a password, vncserver appears to launch successfully.
When I open /root/.vnc/puppypc:1.log I see this -

vncext:      created VNC server for screen 0

Stripe

#10 Post by Stripe »

Hi tempestuous

Thanks again for the link

I am working in spup 055 at the moment, and all I need on the base machine which is working headless (no keyboard mouse or monitor) is for vnc server to start on boot up. so I have created the following as a text document with geany

#start script for vncserver
vncserver

saved it as vncserver and made it executable then placed it in the root/startup folder so it will automaticaly run at startup. (after setting the password)

will let you know how I get on

cheers

sean56a

#11 Post by sean56a »

PupGeek wrote:When starting the vncserver on puppy, it would start using screen 1 instead of 0. I couldn't get Xvnc to start with :0, so I ended up using x11vnc and now it works fine both ways. I may try out the Load "vnc" tweak to the xorg.conf just to see if it works though.

I'm having the same X's-and-console problem. I've come so far! Would you mind explaining this for a Linux newb? Thanks everyone!

Running the server on Lucid Puppy 5.2. Client on Vista, home network.

Sean

ricb

#12 Post by ricb »

i have just installed the program on lucid 5.1 without any errors, started the server it asked me to make a password and i did...but i cannot connect to it from my ubuntu 10,4 pc. so i rebooted the puppy machine restated the server (this time it did not ask me to make a password) and i am still getting the same reaction when I try to connect ...an instant "connection closed".
I even open all the ports on my router to see if that was the issue to no avail.

i am not new to linux but i am new to puppy....so tell me guys what simple thing am i missing thats going to make me feel like a fool ? :)