How to connect to my WPA2 network?

Booting, installing, newbie
AgentBlair

How to connect to my WPA2 network?

#1 Post by AgentBlair »

I've successfully fully installed Puppy on a CF card inserted in an IDE adapter but ran into trouble with the my wireless card to connect to the internet. Now the CF card is wiped out and I've tried multiple versions of puppy with live CD. I am trying to connect to my WPA2 wireless network but it keeps successfully connecting to my neighbor's open network which I do not want it to do. No matter what I try it refuses to connect to my home network. A year ago I was able to connect to my WEP network. With pup-431.iso, here is what I run into:

Then when I click "Use this Profile" I get this:

then: Image

Details: Image

I know the wireless card works. It's a Linksys PCMCIA card (WPC11, version 1, 2.5, and 3!) I've tried 3 versions of the WPC11 and none of them could connect. So it's not broken hardware. It may be the driver that came with puppy that isn't so great with WPA2. Would using a windows driver be of any help? I'm stuck. Help would be appreciated thanks.

AgentBlair

#2 Post by AgentBlair »

Was trying the Ndiswrapper and 2 .INF files in the drivers provided by Linksys: http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/wireless/lbc/WPC11
None of which worked using None interface.

rjbrewer

#3 Post by rjbrewer »

I believe those are 802.11b cards.
Have you actually been able to use them with wpa encryption
before?

What modules are being loaded when you run the connection
wizard?

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

AgentBlair

#4 Post by AgentBlair »

rjbrewer wrote:I believe those are 802.11b cards.
before?

wizard?
Yes I have accessed the exact same WPA2 network using Windows XP.

It had Wlan0, now it's eth0. I'm not sure how to get it back now.

rjbrewer

#5 Post by rjbrewer »

AgentBlair wrote:
before?

wizard?

WlanO and eth0 are the interfaces, which can change with different
versions.
The wizard also shows module and device description.
I can't find much about wpa with those cards.
A little more Puppy info;

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 336#159336

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

AgentBlair

#6 Post by AgentBlair »

rjbrewer wrote:
AgentBlair wrote:
before?

wizard?

WlanO and eth0 are the interfaces, which can change with different
versions.
The wizard also shows module and device description.
I can't find much about wpa with those cards.
A little more Puppy info;

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 336#159336
I had a hard time understanding that. I did follow the directions and typed in the commands in the console but it wasn't any help.

tempestuous

#7 Post by tempestuous »

AgentBlair,
as rjbrewer has said, it's important that you tell us which kernel module Puppy has loaded, and so far you haven't.
The Network Wizard will clearly list which module is loaded for each network interface.

All 3 of your wifi devices contain the Intersil Prism chipset, which historically has been supported by several different Linux drivers (modules). In modern Puppies there are likely to be 2 different modules competing for your wifi device: orinoco_cs and hostap_cs.
Puppy should load the more modern hostap_cs, which is WPA-compatible, but maybe Puppy is loading orinoco_cs?
You need to find out.

AgentBlair

#8 Post by AgentBlair »

tempestuous wrote:AgentBlair,
as rjbrewer has said, it's important that you tell us which kernel module Puppy has loaded, and so far you haven't.
The Network Wizard will clearly list which module is loaded for each network interface.

All 3 of your wifi devices contain the Intersil Prism chipset, which historically has been supported by several different Linux drivers (modules). In modern Puppies there are likely to be 2 different modules competing for your wifi device: orinoco_cs and hostap_cs.
Puppy should load the more modern hostap_cs, which is WPA-compatible, but maybe Puppy is loading orinoco_cs?
You need to find out.
It loads orinoco_cs module. I've tried hostap_cs but I get the no new interfaces were detected message and asks to unload. Is there a way to force this to hostap_cs?

AgentBlair

#9 Post by AgentBlair »

Code: Select all

modprobe hostap 

ifconfig eth0 up 

rm /var/run/wpa_supplicant/* 

wpa_supplicant -i eth0 -D hostap -c /etc/network-wizard/wireless/wpa_profiles/wpa_supplicant2.conf -dd 
Entered those in the console and it scans the nearby networks and lists them but it goes in a loop and then stops after 5 minutes.

tempestuous

#10 Post by tempestuous »

AgentBlair wrote:I've tried hostap_cs but I get the no new interfaces were detected message and asks to unload.
You cannot successfully load the hostap_cs module until the orinoco_cs module is unloaded (or disabled).
There are several possible ways to achieve this:
i) open /etc/rc.d/MODULESCONFIG in Geany. Near the bottom you will see a long line which starts with

PREFLIST= 
Modify that line so it ends like this -

orinoco_cs:hostap_cs '
It's very important to include a space before the final single quotation mark.
Save. Reboot.
Once rebooted, run the Network Wizard and hopefully Puppy will have automatically loaded the hostap_cs module instead of the orinoco_cs module.

ii) If not, you will need to take more drastic measures -
Use ROX to browse into /lib/modules/2.6.30.5/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/orinoco/
and delete "orinoco_cs.ko"
Now run this command -

depmod-FULL
Then reboot, and hostap_cs should certainly load.

AgentBlair

#11 Post by AgentBlair »

I did that but I may have typed it in incorrectly because after I rebooted puppy was running funny.
So I reinstalled puppy linux and it went back to the hostap_cs module:

However it still gives me the "Unable to establish WPA connection" message and refuses to connect to my network.

tempestuous

#12 Post by tempestuous »

A few things to try

i) in your wifi router's configuration, check that "SSID Broadcast" is enabled.
Puppy often doesn't play well with hidden SSID's.

ii) check to accurately determine whether your router is set for WPA, or WPA2. If one is failing, try the other.

iii) if your SSID or password has a space or special character in it, when configuring the Network Wizard make sure you enclose the SSID/password with quotation marks.

AgentBlair

#13 Post by AgentBlair »

It's WPA2-Personal, it's not a hidden network.

I've tried wrapping the password in quotation marks. When I click save, the dialog window closes and never reappears. Every time I open it up and try this again the window disappears after hitting "Save".

tempestuous

#14 Post by tempestuous »

OK, go back to manual commands.
AgentBlair wrote:

wpa_supplicant -i eth0 -D hostap -c /etc/network-wizard/wireless/wpa_profiles/wpa_supplicant2.conf -dd 
"eth0" ? Your most recent screenshot indicates that the correct interface (created by the hostap_cs driver) is "wlan0".
So the correct command should be -

wpa_supplicant -i wlan0 -D hostap -c /etc/network-wizard/wireless/wpa_profiles/wpa_supplicant2.conf -dd
and obviously your SSID and PSK need to be saved in the wpa_supplicant2.conf file.

AgentBlair

#15 Post by AgentBlair »

tempestuous wrote:OK, go back to manual commands.
AgentBlair wrote:

"eth0" ? Your most recent screenshot indicates that the correct interface (created by the hostap_cs driver) is "wlan0".
So the correct command should be -

wpa_supplicant -i wlan0 -D hostap -c /etc/network-wizard/wireless/wpa_profiles/wpa_supplicant2.conf -dd
and obviously your SSID and PSK need to be saved in the wpa_supplicant2.conf file.
I entered this but it runs in a loop:

modprobe hostap 

ifconfig wlan0 up 

rm /var/run/wpa_supplicant/* 

I edited the wpa_supplicant2.conf file, where the SSID="mynetworkname" and PSK="password" both wrapped in quotes. Still get a loop.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#16 Post by Béèm »

Your story is really confusing.
You said you had a FULL on a CF card.
Then the CF card is wiped.
Then you speak of multiple puppy's on CD.
Then you speak of 4.3.1.ISO
Then you speak of eth0
Then you speak of wlan0.
I think you haven't mentioned other things either.

Please start to specify what your installation/way of operating is now and maybe people understand and can give advice.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

AgentBlair

#17 Post by AgentBlair »

Béèm wrote:Your story is really confusing.
You said you had a FULL on a CF card.
Then the CF card is wiped.
Then you speak of multiple puppy's on CD.
Then you speak of 4.3.1.ISO
Then you speak of eth0
Then you speak of wlan0.
I think you haven't mentioned other things either.

Please start to specify what your installation/way of operating is now and maybe people understand and can give advice.
All is true, in order. I had a full install on CF of 431, then wiped it out after it acted all funny on me. Then I tried multiple versions of puppy to see if they work with my wireless card. None did. I reinstalled 4.3.1, somehow reverted to eth0, and older driver and that never worked, I then reinstalled puppy again which defaulted back to wlan0.

At the moment I am running on a live CD, with the original hard disk drive with the Windows XP contents on it so I can find the .INF and possibly use that with the Ndiswrapper. So far I cannot find the .INF file.

tempestuous

#18 Post by tempestuous »

Now you need to do some troubleshooting.
First, I recommend against this -
AgentBlair wrote:

modprobe hostap
Puppy should have automatically loaded the hostap_cs (plus hostap) module at boot up, and any attempt to load it again may corrupt the network interface.

1. Run the "dmesg" command, and see if there are any errors relating to how the hostap_cs driver loaded, particularly relating to firmware.
If so, please report.

2. If there are no errors from dmesg, disable all encryption at your wifi router, and see if you can connect under Puppy in this unencrypted state, using the Network Wizard. If this works, it proves the hostap_cs driver is working in a basic sense.

3. Run this command to query the version of onboard firmware contained in your WPC11 device -

hostap_diag wlan0
Please report, especially the STAID (station firmware) version.

AgentBlair

#19 Post by AgentBlair »

tempestuous wrote:Now you need to do some troubleshooting.
First, I recommend against this -
AgentBlair wrote:

modprobe hostap
Puppy should have automatically loaded the hostap_cs (plus hostap) module at boot up, and any attempt to load it again may corrupt the network interface.

1. Run the "dmesg" command, and see if there are any errors relating to how the hostap_cs driver loaded, particularly relating to firmware.
If so, please report.

2. If there are no errors from dmesg, disable all encryption at your wifi router, and see if you can connect under Puppy in this unencrypted state, using the Network Wizard. If this works, it proves the hostap_cs driver is working in a basic sense.

3. Run this command to query the version of onboard firmware contained in your WPC11 device -

hostap_diag wlan0
Please report, especially the STAID (station firmware) version.
There were errors running puppy via live CD with a blank hard drive after I typed "dmesg". I'll post the whole log tomorrow.

AgentBlair

#20 Post by AgentBlair »

Okay here it is including the hostap_diag wlan0 command.

I was also able to connect to an unencrypted network.
Attachments
dmesg01.zip
(4.64 KiB) Downloaded 601 times