RealVNC

Configuration wizards, scanners, remote desktop, etc.
robwoj44

RealVNC

#1 Post by robwoj44 »

http://www.realvnc.com/
RealVNC provides remote control software which lets you see and interact with desktop applications across any network.

gary101

#2 Post by gary101 »

Thanks for the post.

Is this the client, the server or both?
If it's not one thing it's your mother

cprivers

#3 Post by cprivers »

OK. Downloaded, installed and clicked on the menu item. Nothing happened. Now what?

(Puppy 431 frugal)

Chuck
[i]It's always easy when you know how![/i]

tempestuous

#4 Post by tempestuous »

There are problems with this dotpet;
- the executables are not installed into an executable path,
- the Xorg plugin is not installed into the Xorg extensions directory,
- an extra library, libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3, is needed for vncviewer.

Updated vnc dotpet now available for Puppy 5.1/5.2 here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=63122

PupGeek

#5 Post by PupGeek »

I have combined the .pet featured in the first post with the one tempestuous linked us to (that one contains only the missing libraries). It resolves the missing dependency and I rearranged it to install to the system directories instead of its own directory in /root. It gives a couple of moans right now about "xsetroot" and "twm" commands not found. I have run the vncserver script with no fatal error messages but haven't yet been able to verify that it works fully. The vncserver script demands that you set a password, but I commented those lines out temporarily for testing, so that might have something to do with the errors it does give. The log file indicates that it creates the vnc server successfully. I will know more when I am able to test it remotely.

tempestuous

#6 Post by tempestuous »

PupGeek wrote:the one tempestuous linked us to (that one contains only the missing libraries)
No, no, that's wrong. My vnc package has all the executables in /usr/bin
which is Barry's preferred location in Puppy.

The only thing I didn't include was a menu entry, since I assumed that VPN connections are usually for experienced users who are comfortable with the commandline!
I have just now revised the vnc package, and included menu entries for "RealVNC" and "RealVNC server".
I also got the dotpet down in size a bit by stripping the library.

PupGeek, after you have done some more conclusive testing, could you please post your results/comments in the other post, which contains more instructions.

PupGeek

#7 Post by PupGeek »

I redownloaded the .pet today and I stand corrected. I must have gotten a corrupt download yesterday because it only contained the usr/lib directory, which was why I combined it with the other one. Today, however, it had everything in it and does install to /usr/bin, lib, and such. (mine installs to /usr/local/..... )