Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 22 Dec 2014, 01:50
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Puppy on an Old World Mac?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
MadPirateBippy

PostPosted: Fri 28 Apr 2006, 03:06    Post_subject:  Puppy on an Old World Mac?  

Hey there, I'd like to put Puppy on an old world mac... this is the machine I have, and I want to use is as a server (if possible) for a test run of a website. If not possible, I'd like to use it as place to put my photos and such, so they don't slow down and clog up my other boxes...

I understand that you can't do a CD install on an Old World mac, but I haven't been able to find out how to actually install Puppy on one, anyway...

I'm sorry if this has been covered before, I searched the archives a few times, Googled it, and read the fine manual, and I couldn't find the answer... Rolling Eyes
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Fri 28 Apr 2006, 06:11    Post_subject: Apple Puppy  

There is some interest in a Mac Puppy and Puppy does run on Mac x86 emulators - that for obvious reasons is not very efficient. I suggest you or those interested

create data here:
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/MacPuppy
(just created)

dvw86

PostPosted: Fri 28 Apr 2006, 14:49    Post_subject:  

I'm afraid that you are out of luck on that one. As lobster mentioned, you can use an emulator such as VirtualPC to run Puppy on a Mac but it would be VERY slow on that computer. Puppy should also run without an emulator on the new Intel Macs, but it will not run natively on a PPC based Mac such as yours. You would be better off finding an old PII somewhere and using Puppy on that. Another option would be to use a PPC based Linux such as YellowDog, but it will be quite slow as well on your old computer.
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum