2008 is free again! for Christmas!

Word processors, spreadsheets, presentations, translation, etc.
Frank Cox

2008 is free again! for Christmas!

#1 Post by Frank Cox »

Christmas is coming early this year!

You can now download SoftMaker Office 2008 and a font package free of charge – and do good at the same time: Until December 31, SoftMaker donates 10 Euro cents for every download, supporting aid and development projects around the world.

Tell your friends and colleagues about our Load and Help 2010 campaign. Our goal is to surpass last year's donations of € 6089!

Visit the Load and Help campaign

http://www.softmaker.com/english/index_en.htm

chrome307

#2 Post by chrome307 »

@ Frank Cox

In another thread you mentioned that you had stripped out the locales from the installation to cut down the size.

What I would like to do is the same, only retaining English UK as the default language.

Also, I only need the Textmaker application, is it possible to edit the installation so only this option is available?

When you setup using their installer, all applications are included.

Any tips/suggestions would be appreciated.

Frank Cox

Locales

#3 Post by Frank Cox »

chrome307 wrote:@ Frank Cox

In another thread you mentioned that you had stripped out the locales from the installation to cut down the size.
Hi Chrome:

Download the tarball , the .tgz file, and open it in pupzip or pzip or whatever you prefer to use. Then click on the main file and just delete every file that has an extension that is not the King's English. Be sure to tell it to save the changes when you close it.

Then paste their installer in a terminal window.

chrome307

#4 Post by chrome307 »

OK, thanks for the tip! :)

Frank Cox

Pets

#5 Post by Frank Cox »

chrome307 wrote:OK, thanks for the tip! :)
YW

Someone made a pet last year but i must assume UK locals were removed. They claim it is not that hard to do if you just want to learn how make pets and there are some very good manuals available. . If I remember right the pet was 2 or 3 megs smaller but I left the Spanish locals in which would account for some of it.

If you want to make one to share with others I will help you as I should learn it myself. As far as just installing on Linux the tarball works very well on puppy and every flavour of Ubuntu I have tried it on..
If size is unimportant the .deb file should work but if that was the case why use Puppy Linux anyway?

I will be happy to build the tarball for you with whatever locals if you get stuck. It might be a good idea to do one or the other as I am sure there are lots of other Brits would could use it. My problem is I have no place to post it.

Cheers

Frank Cox

How to

#6 Post by Frank Cox »

I posted a how to for shrinking Softmaker in the How to section of the forum

chrome307

#7 Post by chrome307 »

Firstly thanks to Frank Cox for his easy to follow guide for how to strip down Softmaker Office 2008 posted on this forum. :)

I only need to use Textmaker for the occasional document, so I have cut down Softmaker Office 2008 installation package for this.

This is only Textmaker 2008 with UK & US dictionaries included.

Application: ( approx 8.1mb to download ):

http://www.mediafire.com/?fzzpnkrr31crfzs

Manuals only ( approx 2.5mb ):

http://www.mediafire.com/?dg2pcu30ilb7rny

Please note you need a vaild license to install the product!!

To install:

Copy Textmaker2008-US_UK.tar.gz to

[ EDIT ] (You can also install and run this application outside of your pupsave file - tested on a usb flash drive)

root/my-applications

and then extract.

Click on 'textmaker' to run application, you will be prompted to enter in your license details and set the default directories for templates eg

root/my-applications/Softmaker/

Finally copy the textmaker file onto your desktop
to run the application.

You can choose an icon from the folder 'icons' if needed.