spup-100 April 2011

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
01micko

#61 Post by 01micko »

I have noticed problems on my old gear, particularly if the cd drive is worn, with loading of the 'zdrv'. I did a quick respin of 051 without the zdrv and the issues were solved, notably many drivers weren't loading including sound and network. Note this is not available for download but 052, due maybe next week will have this implemented. I'm hoping this will solve Tui's issue and perhaps net dropouts reported by aarf.

I also hope to have Barry's video upgrade script working so I need to get the right mesa package going. I'll also compile nvidia-96.43.19. Is anyone up to compiling the ATI fglrx driver?

I also hope to have my repo working in PPM using Iguleder's example. So any packages compiled in spup thet you make or know that work please send a link and it will go to the repo. If anyone wants to compile games all the SDL libs are in the repo listed on the first page of this thread.

I will also make sure that anyone can duplicate the exact iso with some woof instructions. I'm trying to keep things as simple as possible so don't expect any dramatic changes in spup. Woof should be able to search and download from the Brainwaves site (thanks Saturn :wink: ) to make it easy.

Any suggestions, fire at will!

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Billtoo

spup -built from latest woof

#62 Post by Billtoo »

# glxgears
36668 frames in 5.0 seconds = 7333.600 FPS
51880 frames in 5.0 seconds = 10376.000 FPS
51897 frames in 5.0 seconds = 10379.400 FPS
51925 frames in 5.0 seconds = 10385.000 FPS
51897 frames in 5.0 seconds = 10379.400 FPS
Driver used by Xorg:
vesa
:? ???

That is weird... which driver Billtoo? (260 or 173?)

I did have problem installing 173 myself but got it going in the end with 'nvidia' in xorg.conf. I had zero problems with 260.
[/quote]

That's with the 260 driver.
Here are the results for the same computer on Wary 102:

# glxgears
42910 frames in 5.0 seconds = 8582.000 FPS
52259 frames in 5.0 seconds = 10451.800 FPS
52268 frames in 5.0 seconds = 10453.600 FPS
52274 frames in 5.0 seconds = 10454.800 FPS
#
# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: Wary Puppy, version 102

Chip description:
oem: NVIDIA
product: G84 Board - p402h00 Chip Rev

Driver used by Xorg:
nvidia

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth 24 Depth: "Display"

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video
#

Framerates are the same but it correctly reports the nvidia driver, you compiled the one in wary too didn't you?

Anyway, I have accelerated graphics in both wary 102 and spup 51 so that's okay :)

01micko

#63 Post by 01micko »

Framerates are the same but it correctly reports the nvidia driver, you compiled the one in wary too didn't you?
Yes I did.

I wonder if report-video is bugging? I doubt it would though. But maybe it read one of the backup xorg.conf file, possible I guess. Just check your /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Cheers
EDIT
Well whaddyaknow? :lol:

Code: Select all

Section "Device"
	Driver      "vesa" #card0driver
    Identifier     "Card0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "Unknown Vendor"
    BoardName      "Unknown Board"
EndSection
That's my xorg.conf.. so xorg is using the nvidia driver just that report-video is grepping for "#card0driver", that's why "vesa" is returned, it's really a bug in nvidia-xconfig. Well I might change the pinstall.sh and ditch nvidia-xconfig altogether.
Thanks Billtoo

Cheers

Jasper

#64 Post by Jasper »

Hi,

I now have a full HD install. I have experimented and made some progress and I remain very well pleased.

A minor suggestion would be to consider accentuating the difference between an empty trash can and a full one (my eyesight is poor so I have added a bold red "F" to the full icon).

My regards

Billtoo

#65 Post by Billtoo »

I booted the live cd pfix=ram and chose vesa at xorgwizard.
Wired network and sound were working.

After creating a save file and several reboots to load the devx and
kernel source sfs I exited to the prompt and ran the newest ati driver:
ati-driver-installer-10-10-x86.x86_64.run, when it finished I entered
"aticonfig --initial" and then xwin to get to the desktop.

Hot Dog! I have accelerated graphics on this pc, Nexuiz runs great.

Spup can't use wlan0 but the only linux that I've tried to be able to so far
is fatdog 510.

Report video gives incorrect information but who cares?, I have hardware
acceleration :)

# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: Slack Puppy, version 051

Chip description:
oem: ATI ATOMBIOS
product: REDWOOD 01.00

Driver used by Xorg:
vesa

Video mode used by Xorg:

#

Anyhow,it's getting late and I'll use this some more tomorrow.

James C

#66 Post by James C »

Went ahead and did a frugal install on the main Linux box......looking really good so far.
Installed Firefox, not the Italian version :lol: , Htop and VLC....everything working good.

VIDEO REPORT: Slack Puppy, version 051

Chip description:
oem: NVidia
product: NV18 () Board Chip Rev A2

Driver used by Xorg:
nv

Video mode used by Xorg:

#

-Computer-
Processor : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2400+
Memory : 1034MB (155MB used)
Operating System : Puppy Linux 0.05
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Sun 12 Dec 2010 01:05:53 AM CST
-Display-
Resolution : 1440x900 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Unknown
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : VIA8233 - VIA 8235
-
Attachments
slack pup 051.png
(52.91 KiB) Downloaded 1377 times

Iguleder

#67 Post by Iguleder »

Here's something crazy I'm working on atm (army tomorrow and I'm full of adrenaline): Pslackthing :lol:

Took around 2 hours to write this. This insane tool is pretty much like Pdebthing (downloads packages with their dependencies) but for Slackware. It's written from scratch in Perl and Bash and its fully compatible with PPM in the way it handles repos and package lists.

All scripts are independent and have help messages and helpful comments ... very simple and modular.

This thing checks what distro you're running and if it's a spup, it will automatically use its repos and Slackware version. Otherwise, you'll need to supply DISTRO_SPECS and DISTRO_COMPAT_REPOS-slackware-$DISTRO_COMPAT_VERSION, put them in the Pslackthing directory. Take a look at "distroinfo" to see what I'm talking about 8)

You'll also need packages.txt, a list of packages you want it to download.

And if you wonder how to use it: make a package list in packages.txt, run 0setup to convert the Slackware repos to PPM format, then run 1download to download all the packages plus their dependencies.

Don't forget, dependencies resolution is not perfect because Slackware doesn't have meta-packages and the dependencies are third-party. So ... things like the whole X won't be downloaded. In other words, a package can depend on libX11 but NOT on the whole X because there's no package for the entire X.

Oh, one last note - there's no way to blacklist packages to prevent Pslackthing from downloading them and/or their dependencies ... but that's something that can be added in around 5 lines of code. I'm too lazy to do this and I don't find this useful at all.

And by the way, 01micko - you said that Slackware-style package building and management can be a revolution in spup. I think I could expand Pslackthing and make it integrate with Woof (for PPM and stuff) in order to make it able to produce a Puppy built from a true Slackware base (i.e no /usr/local/lib/X11/mini-icons and stuff and no Puppy-specific packages except crucial packages like Bash 3.x) ... that's a very good direction for the future of Puppy (6.x) imho :idea:

EDIT: bug-fix version at your service.
Attachments
Pslackthing-002.tar
(30 KiB) Downloaded 523 times
Pslackthing.tar
(30 KiB) Downloaded 798 times
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

01micko

#68 Post by 01micko »

brand new seamonkey-2.0.11 pet posted here (11M)

Enjoy!

Cheers

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#69 Post by Béèm »

01micko wrote:brand new seamonkey-2.0.11 pet posted here (11M)

Enjoy!

Cheers
Thanks. Being in it a couple of days already. Auto-update did the job correctly, my SeaMonkey being installed outside the save file. 8)
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

nancy reagan

Try to calm yourself ?

#70 Post by nancy reagan »

Iguleder wrote:
Here's something crazy I'm working on atm (army tomorrow and I'm full of adrenaline): .......

Igu.

Although your contributions seem great it is my idea that you should try to calm yourself in front of the big day and nasty period.

Do not think computing settles the brain. Still time for a walk and fresh air, a swim ?

Wish you peace of mind.and that sooon all is over.

Billtoo

#71 Post by Billtoo »

Bootflash is broken, I booted the .51 cd and used bootflash to install to a sdhc card, it booted okay but none of the network modules were loaded.
I just finished using luci 245 to do the same thing and the sdhc install of .51 is working fine on my acer desktop.

Also, the install that I made on my hp with the ati card worked great for a while but sound disappeared at some point and running the Setup alsa Sound wizard couldn't bring it back, I think it's because the hp is only a few months old, anyhow it's back to the trusty acer desktop for me.
Fatdog 510 runs nice on the hp.

01micko

#72 Post by 01micko »

Bootflash is broken, I booted the .51 cd and used bootflash to install to a sdhc card, it booted okay but none of the network modules were loaded.
I just finished using luci 245 to do the same thing and the sdhc install of .51 is working fine on my acer desktop.
Hi Billtoo,

It is kind of a bug with bootflash and having a zdrv. The zdrv has all the kernel modules, and mustn't be getting copied.. you can copy it manually and it should fix that installation. Next version won't have a zdrv, all modules will be in the main sfs

Cheers

yarddog

spup - built from latest woof

#73 Post by yarddog »

would it be possible to get a pet made of xscreensaver 5.12 with all the screeensavers (approx 200) to run in spup 051 including any dependencies?

I found an old copy 5.07 but it includes only part of the screensavers

regards
yarddog

Stripe

#74 Post by Stripe »

Hi all

Watched 2 hours of streamed flash video using seamonkey without a problem. (and newcastle won :P) so no problems there.

The devx has handled most things I have thrown at it, a couple of errors that some libraries were not up to date, but overall very impressive.(I know that is dependent on woof)

anything else need testing/breaking?

Stripe

01micko

#75 Post by 01micko »

Iguleder

Pslackthing is a marvellous piece of work!

Now, I notice it didn't cross check dependencies already installed.. a simple check of $HOME/.packages/woof-installed-packages would fix that, that way only the deps needed will be downloaded. I will then add my loop for unpacking and repacking as a pet or an sfs, also doing the splitting to DOC, DEV, NLS and this will be a complete tool for grabbing slack packages :)

I know you will read this beacuse as soon as you wake you will want to know what's going on before you're shipped off to wherever for your army training. :wink:

Cheers and all the best!

Iguleder

#76 Post by Iguleder »

01micko wrote:I know you will read this beacuse as soon as you wake you will want to know what's going on before you're shipped off to wherever for your army training. :wink:
That's right :lol:

Wearing my new jeans and my favorite sweater, leaving home and the first chapter of my life in half an hour :)

01micko, whenever I have the time, I want to improve this thingy. It's easy - the blacklist can be automatic, through distroinfo. Just a "blacklist=`cat woof-installed-packages` blah blah blah" or "cat blacklist.txt" (in the spup/not spup check).

The distro building part is more complex ... I'll have to think more to get it working. Maybe I can use Slackware's own package management tools, that's an approach I want to explore. Maybe it's time to do the Calf Linux and Puppy union experiment again, this time with Slackware packages and Calf's skeleton (wild beast, boots in 2-3 seconds) :wink:
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

Brown Mouse

#77 Post by Brown Mouse »

Hi 01micko

I solved the colour issues I was having by installing a slightly older pwidgets version 2.2.7 :D

Stripe

#78 Post by Stripe »

Hi all

another question :oops:
With this being a woof built pup could other browsers/software be added to the repo, and be selected in the DISTRO_PKS_SPECS so people could build the distro with the browser/software they want (I think I have only seen Seamonkey in the repos)

I would be more than happy to make the pets and put them on here for testing and if they are any good, perhaps you could add them to the woof repo (if that is any help?) also If you want any updated libs compiling just shout and I will try my best.

I have put the Zfs file into the main sfs and added vlc and another couple of programs as well and it is still only 122mb which I dont think is too bad for an up to date puppy with a browser and vlc included. I am still running totaly in ram and it is flying. :P :P :P

Following one of ttuuxxx's ideas I have made a pet out of the devx and now can compile totaly in ram (on my 4gb ram box)

Loving spup, thanks 01micko.
Stripe

01micko

#79 Post by 01micko »

Hi Stripe

You can add whatever you want to a woof build. However you need to implement a few get-a-rounds so woof doesn't complain.

Create a file called "Packages-puppy-Stripe-official" and put all the petspecs of whatever apps that you want to add. It can include browser pets or anything. Assuming you have already created your woof tree and downloaded the stuffs (pets, txz, tgz, debs or whatever).. plonk your pets into ../woof-*/packages-pet. Also alter the ../woof-*/DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS-* file in the PKGS_SPECS_TABLE variable with an entry for your pet(s) in pet format ie: yes|abiword||exe,dev,doc,nls [yes|generic-packagename||exe (and if doc,dev,nls those too if desired)]
Now you need to tell woof to "download" these packages. In ../woof-*/DISTRO_PET_REPOS find the varibale pertaining to the compatibale distro you are woofing find the PACKAGELISTS_PET_ORDER variable. you will see:
PACKAGELISTS_PET_ORDER='Packages-puppy-quirky-official Packages-puppy-woof-official Packages-puppy-4-official'
Change it to:
PACKAGELISTS_PET_ORDER='Packages-puppy-Stripe-official Packages-puppy-quirky-official Packages-puppy-woof-official Packages-puppy-4-official'
Woof should now see your extras and not spit any errors.

Hope this is what you were after.

You could also add an entry in the PKGS_SPECS_TABLE variable calling for the slackware (or whatever) firefox (or whatever package) and dependencies should be met if you get the syntax right., look at the xorg variable as an example and look in Packages-slackware-13.1-official or Packages-slackware-13.1-slacky (or whatever) to see if a package exists. The dependency info is there too.

Cheers

Stripe

#80 Post by Stripe »

Thanks 01 micko thats brilliant news :P :P

I thought we were restricted to the official repos :P :P

watch this space for some new monsters :lol: :lol:

cheers
A very happy Stripe

Edited to add: having a few problems with the nvidia 260 driver (its the right one for my hardware) but wont play youtube videos full screen, seamonkey crashes when you try. works fine with the nv driver, so I am sticking with that for the time being.