SFS-TCZ_Linker-2.2.pet

Miscellaneous tools
jrb

Re: /etc/choice

#101 Post by jrb »

tazoc wrote:I understand that /choice is deleted by the Linker, but when the SFS is used in the traditional way, without the Linker, /choice would probably not be deleted. That's why I'd prefer /etc/choice.
Doh!!! Of course, I should have thought of that. Will make the change in SFS-TCZ_Linker-1.9.pet (coming soon). I want to give people the option of using Seaside's technique as well and also update the TCZ link that technosaurus mentioned.

Getting to work now, J :D

reckrhodes

#102 Post by reckrhodes »

Hi jrb!

Just to inform you that I am really fascinated with what you have done with this wonderful pet. It is really useful indeed. I Hope that this linker will also be included in the Lucid Puppy development. (just an additional of 424k will make me happy :lol: )

Tried your program many times and it is operational.

Congrats! I can't wait to test your updated version of SFS-TCZ Linker. :D

God Bless to all devs and testers and to Sir BK too.

jrb

#103 Post by jrb »

Have just uploaded SFS-TCZ_Linker-1.9.pet. See the write up on page one.

Incorporated suggestions by technosaurus, seaview and tazoc. Thanks guys! :D

Cheers, J

seaside

#104 Post by seaside »

Jrb,

I downloaded a couple of TCZ's from the depository, made some .setup files and all linked and ran "smooth as silk".

The "dev" file linked perfectly and all testing was on Pup 431.

No testing of the unlinking part, because I don't use pup save files now.

At this point, it's hard to imagine any further improvements, and thank you for all your good work.

Regards,
s

gcmartin

#105 Post by gcmartin »

@jrb Check your PM
Does the LInker work without rebooting if running on a LiveCD? I run LiveCDsfron the following 4 environments:
  1. LightHouse - (Yes/No)
  2. Lucid 5.1.1 - (Yes/No)
  3. Lucid 5.2 - (Yes/No)
  4. QuickSET - (Yes/No)
Thanks in advance. Great work

Edited 10/02/10: You have already answered this days ago. Sorry as I missed that response.

Your answer is "LIveCD works" without reboot. Thanks again for all of your good work.

jrb

#106 Post by jrb »

Have just uploaded SFS-TCZ_Linker-2.0

Fixed a bug from 1.9 and fine tuned sfs_boot_handler a little more for improved speed.

Cheers, J

tlchost

#107 Post by tlchost »

jrb wrote:Have just uploaded SFS-TCZ_Linker-2.0
Another location/url ... the Merga machine tells me:

The selected Attachment does not exist anymore

Fixed a bug from 1.9 and fine tuned sfs_boot_handler a little more for improved speed.

jrb

#108 Post by jrb »

Try it again Thom, I think I messed up the first upload. Hopefully fixed now.

Good Luck, J

tlchost

#109 Post by tlchost »

jrb wrote:Try it again Thom, I think I messed up the first upload. Hopefully fixed now.
Got it...thanks

gcmartin

#110 Post by gcmartin »

This seems obvious, but I thought I'd ask since I'm in a non-rebooted LiveCD system with Linker 1.9 installed...BUT, can I installed the PET for 2.0 and just continue running or am I required to reboot going from 1.9 to 2.0?

Thanks in advance...

jrb

#111 Post by jrb »

I just uploaded SFS-TCZ_Linker-2.1.pet

I tuned up the .setup script caller a bit and also placed a restart window manager in the pinstall script. This will make sfs_linker immediately useable without worrying about rebooting.

You will still have to reboot to get /root/my_links/sfs_mnt_home populated with links to SFS's on /mnt/home but thats just a luxury.

I'm hoping this is the final version. Not that its not fun to work on, but its embarrassing to have to confess to soooo! many bugs. :wink:

jrb

#112 Post by jrb »

gcmartin wrote:This seems obvious, but I thought I'd ask since I'm in a non-rebooted LiveCD system with Linker 1.9 installed...BUT, can I installed the PET for 2.0 and just continue running or am I required to reboot going from 1.9 to 2.0?

Thanks in advance...
Rebooting is not required to use SFS_Linker. It just activates some of the extra features, my_links folder on the desktop, symlinks in /root/my_links/sfs_mnt_home, etc. These are already present if you're updating.

Just remove the older .pet, install the newer and you're good to go.

Cheers, J

gcmartin

No reboot required to use new Linker in LIveCD

#113 Post by gcmartin »

Thanks for the understanding when running LiveCD.
In PUP5.2 I:
  1. remove the current "Linker"
  2. Opened QuickPET on the desktop
  3. On its menubar, click SFS, click sfs_linker which takes me to this Puppy thread.
  4. Double click the "linker" url to start the installation and when done, I have the new Linker installed on my LiveCD system.
Edited 11/22/10 at 17.39. - The Linker remains in system after LiveCD reboot (Save to CD at shutdown, of course!)
Last edited by gcmartin on Mon 22 Nov 2010, 22:40, edited 2 times in total.

gcmartin

Found a typo

#114 Post by gcmartin »

Sent you a PM to you with correction for the Readme

jrb

Re: Found a typo

#115 Post by jrb »

gcmartin wrote:Sent you a PM to you with correction for the Readme
Thanks GC, Will use it in the next release. :D

technosaurus

#116 Post by technosaurus »

I replaced a couple of the large binaries with statically linked uclibc versions / busybox scripts (recommended that you have a statically linked busybox) ... cuts the size by over 90%, but this is just for testers
Attachments
SFS-TCZ_Linker-2.1-T.pet
(35.52 KiB) Downloaded 654 times
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

gcmartin

size versus functionality

#117 Post by gcmartin »

• Is size an issue with this PET?
  • how does this affect a system after the PET is started?
  • Does this affect the download size or the size when it is run when linking SFSs?
  • Does static links "lock" this in somehow?
I'm curious, ONLY?

tazoc

Thank you, the pet is included with LHP Mariner ISO

#118 Post by tazoc »

jrb wrote:the /choice folder which you could place files in to copy them into the filesystem instead of linking them has been moved to /etc/choice. So if you're making SFS's and know that files need to be copied place them in their path structure in /etc/choice. (ie. /etc/choice/root/.config/your_app).
Hi Jrb,
Thank you for including /etc/choice. :D

Lighthouse Mariner ISO 5.00 G, released yesterday has SFS-TCZ_Linker-2.1-LHP.pet with an 'experimental in LHP' notification added to it. The Linker seems to work, I just don't think enough of us have used it in LHP yet, so I felt that was prudent. The new SFS files I built for G have /etc/choice.

Thanks again for developing and improving this useful tool!

Regards,
TazOC
[url=http://www.lhpup.org/][b][size=100]lhpup.org[/size][/b] [img]http://www.lhpup.org/gallery/images/favicon.png[/img][/url] [url=http://www.lhpup.org/release-lhp.htm#602]Lighthouse 64 6.02[/url]

technosaurus

Re: size versus functionality

#119 Post by technosaurus »

gcmartin wrote:
  • Is size an issue with this PET?
Anything that static links against glibc is going to have a size issue (in this case ldconfig and sln)
gcmartin wrote:
  • Does this affect the download size or the size when it is run when linking SFSs?
Both
gcmartin wrote:
  • how does this affect a system after the PET is started?
it _shouldn't_ (aside from using less resources => _may_ be faster)
gcmartin wrote:
  • Does static links "lock" this in somehow?
the existing binaries are already static linked against static glibc (very bloaty) ... this is so that they can be used to fix borked up shared libraries

(btw I hacked my own minimal version of sln from embutils that is only a couple kb static linked with dietlibc, but the script to use busybox seemed a better option since it has support for more than just -s -f and -v ... I don't know for sure what options are needed)
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

jrb

#120 Post by jrb »

technosaurus wrote:I replaced a couple of the large binaries with statically linked uclibc versions / busybox scripts (recommended that you have a statically linked busybox) ... cuts the size by over 90%, but this is just for testers
Very nicely done. I have downloaded your version and will start testing.

Hoping for a successful test, J