Why are monikers used in the forum? [SOLVED]

For discussions about security.
Sky Aisling

Why are monikers used in the forum? [SOLVED]

#1 Post by Sky Aisling »

I am posting this in 'Security' forum, however, it may belong in 'House Training'.

My question is about using a 'moniker' when I identifying oneself on a Linux forum and what that means as far as personal information security. I am new to using forums. I've been using Linux distros for a little over a year now.

When I went to sign up for forums I noticed people used whacky names for id. This didn't appeal to me so I used my regular name.

Well, what I didn't realize is that Google picks up on that regular name. I Googled my name today and found that all the posts that I've made to Puppy Forum and other Linux forums are listed under my name! I don't want that much information floating about.

To change my name to a moniker in this Puppy Linux Forum: Do I have to 'sign up' and start all over again? Will there still be a link to my 'regular name' even though I've changed it in my profile? Am I forever caught in the gears of Google?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

I have several other Linux forum I subscribe to such as Ubuntu Forum.
Last edited by Sky Aisling on Thu 26 May 2011, 21:42, edited 1 time in total.

nooby

#2 Post by nooby »

I have not googled your name but if I remember correctly it is better to ask an Administrator that has the know how to change to a moniker that way all your posts will also change name but comments and quotes with your name in it will not change. You can not do that yourself.

Alternative would be to start anew and ask that all your threads and posts get deleted?

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 120#428120
One example of what the forum software allow
It isn't possible for a user to change his own name (with the current settings), but an administrator can change a user's names upon request as long as there's a decent reason - e.g. the name offends somebody or brings up painful memories or makes people not take them seriously, etc., so they want to change it to something different.
Then you have the problem with google cache. It takes a lot of time before they ahve changed all over the net. So for weeks after the change your name would still show up but I guess after those weeks only the monicker will show unless somebody with skill knows how to look back but that is not what normal users do.

If you just start all over then your posts will remain. So better ask how to change so the moniker will replace your name.

I guess it is early morning in Sydney 07.47AM and such places so they can not attend to your wish until they wake up and see this thread.

If I am wrong about how the forum software behaves then I apology.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

nooby

#3 Post by nooby »

Here is an old thread about the topic.

Are we allowed to change username? How?

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=50271
@nooby: If your username is changed, I believe it would also change the name associated with all your posts to match.

So if you want to keep them associated with your new identity, that would be a good thing. If on the other hand you're worried about the people you may have offended figuring out what your new name is, that would be a problem because people might have communicated with you here and called you "nooby" in their posts, but then it would label you as somebody else, so they might figure it out.

(Hmm.... this post is a good example of what I'm talking about! Though for this one I could come back and edit it out later if needed.)

It depends on how much work you think they'd do to identify you.
So as I told you if people have quoted you then most likely those quotes will remain but your username at posts will change to the new so the drawback is that if somebody stalking you then they get to know your new moniker.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 965#373965[/b]
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Sky Aisling

#4 Post by Sky Aisling »

This thread is solved.

Hi Nooby,

My question 'Moniker Why Use?' is a mute question. I just Googled your moniker plus several other names from this forum. They all show up on Google too just like my 'regular' name does.

Makes sense. The software plugs in any alpha/numeric field to search on. For some reason I had it in my Swiss cheese brain that a 'proper' name is what caused this particular search. So, doesn't make any difference what name I use as far as Google is concerned. If I want to hide my identity to the outside world then taking a moniker probably makes sense. I'm sure that anyone looking me up will be enthralled with yardsfull of Linux tech talk.

Thank you for the reply. :)

Sky

PS Puppy is working super fast on this old Toshiba we fixed.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Flash »

Sky Aisling wrote:... I'm sure that anyone looking me up will be enthralled with yardsfull of Linux tech talk. ...
If you want to change your name, the only way I know to do it is for me (or JohnMurga or Pizzasgood) to delete you as a member so you can reregister under a different name. The forum won't allow two different names with the same email address. Of course, you could register under a different name by giving a different email address from the one you gave for your present name. Spammers do it all the time. But if you're legit and it's not a real address, you won't receive the notifications the forum sends when a thread you're watching is posted to.

If you do change your name, the posts you made under your original name remain under that name, but as a guest. I haven't tried it but I don't think the forum search will look for guest's names.

Sky Aisling

#6 Post by Sky Aisling »

Thank you, Flash,
I'm ok using my 'regular' name. No problem.
Sky

Pizzasgood

#7 Post by Pizzasgood »

Actually Flash, we can change their names without having to delete them or anything. You go into their profile, and toward the bottom will be an "edit" button. If you click that, you are sent to an area like the normal profile editing place, but with a field holding their username as well.

Just in case you ever do need to change a username for somebody.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#8 Post by Flash »

OK. Once again I stand corrected. :lol: Seems like I tried that before and it wouldn't let me do it.