Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 21 Aug 2014, 16:23
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
PupServer-435
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 3 of 7 [98 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Fri 26 Nov 2010, 18:06    Post subject:  

Read How to Use Samba-TNG in Puppy
cprivers

PostPosted: Fri 26 Nov 2010, 19:44    Post subject:  

Thanks for the link.
gcmartin

PostPosted: Wed 08 Dec 2010, 19:04    Post subject: Re: Starting Samba
Subject description: Starting Samba

cprivers wrote:
I know I must be missing something simple, but after downloading & installing the samba-tng pet in this thread I can't figure out how to start Samba! In Puppy 5 I used /"etc/rc.d/rc.samba start" and in Ubuntu I use "/etc/init.d/samba start", but these files don't exist on my Puppy 431 setup. What is the command to start the server?
Just saw this post to this thread.

In the distros you mentioned, they use "FULL - Original" SAMBA. They use that one because of the very large support community that exist thruout the world when users have questions. (We have to pay for this support from Microsoft)

In the Puppy community, you have 3 ... NO, 4 ... NO, 5 options for using Puppy (a RAM based distro) to share its files, folders, printers, music, pictures, video with everyone else of your LAN without adding software to any LAN user. The Puppy Options are:
  1. Mobeus's PET or SFS ... either works (FULL Samba)
  2. Shinobar's SFS - (FULL Samba)
  3. Rcrsn51's SFS - (fork of Samba)
  4. JRB's Distro (this thread gives you that)
  5. Kirk's 64bit PET (FULL Samba) found here
You should choose which of these, available solutions, best meets your needs.

FULL SAMBA, as I use it here means that all of the SAMBA tools are present where you expect them once SAMBA is installed and running. These tools are VERY-VERY (to me) important in use and diagnosis of server's behavior.

P.S. Barry K makes a solution available also for Quirky 1.3. See his PPM for it.

Last edited by gcmartin on Wed 08 Dec 2010, 20:19; edited 1 time in total
cprivers

PostPosted: Wed 08 Dec 2010, 19:32    Post subject:  

Thanks GC.

Chuck

gcmartin

PostPosted: Wed 08 Dec 2010, 21:43    Post subject: Big PUP  

@JRB
I've got an idea. See your PM

p310don

PostPosted: Mon 04 Apr 2011, 01:34    Post subject:  

Hi,

Not sure if anyone can help me with this one. I have been using pupserver for a few months now, and its great for other computers in my home lan, but, for some reason, I can't mount any shares using the samba share mounter on my nokia n900.

I have been able to do this in the past with file sharing in Ubuntu, but am trying to be puppy only. I think this is the only thing I miss from Ubuntu. What is the difference between the samba in this, and the samba that ubuntu might use? Should I try shinobar's full sfs of samba as mentioned a few posts up? Might try that anyway.

Thanks

Paul
jrb

PostPosted: Mon 04 Apr 2011, 21:28    Post subject:  

p310don wrote:
What is the difference between the samba in this, and the samba that ubuntu might use?

This is an older version of samba chosen for its smaller size. The newer version provided by Shinobar might do it. Let us know what you find out.

Cheers, J
irishrm

PostPosted: Sat 09 Apr 2011, 16:48    Post subject: pupserver 435 printing.  

I have installed pupserver and can access the hard-drive and work on the files. I have installed my printer with cups. However I haven't been able to figure out how to access it from a client. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks-irishrm
jrb

PostPosted: Sat 09 Apr 2011, 18:02    Post subject: Re: pupserver 435 printing.  

irishrm wrote:
I have installed pupserver and can access the hard-drive and work on the files. I have installed my printer with cups. However I haven't been able to figure out how to access it from a client. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks-irishrm

I booted pfix=ram (to make sure I hadn't done anything special to setup). Did all the usual keyboard, country, timezone, video, etc. Didn't do anything after X started (auto hookup of wired lan). Went to another computer running wary511 and used pnethood to access, user=root password=woofwoof, and then the same with lameexplorer. No problems.

Are you connected to network? Are you able to see your printer when you access CUPS on a client?
pupserver_access2.jpg
 Description   left-pnethood right-lameexplorer
 Filesize   48.23 KB
 Viewed   1436 Time(s)

pupserver_access2.jpg

jrb

PostPosted: Sat 09 Apr 2011, 18:29    Post subject: Re: pupserver 435 printing.  

irishrm wrote:

Just reread your post and realized it was your printer you wanted help with.

On your client open Setup->CUPS PrinterWizard->No->Printers and you should see the printer you have installed on Pupserver435. Just choose "Set as Default" and its a done deal.
pupserver_cups2.jpg
 Description   Pupserver printer viewed from client
 Filesize   68.14 KB
 Viewed   1488 Time(s)

pupserver_cups2.jpg

p310don

PostPosted: Sat 09 Apr 2011, 19:28    Post subject:  

Sorry to derail the thread a little, but I installed shinobar's samba sfs, which is newer than the samba in this pup, and it does work to browse files on my n900. Shame, I like the setup provided here more!
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Sat 09 Apr 2011, 20:20    Post subject:  

@irishrm: To access your Puppy shared printer from a client machine, read How to Install Your Printer/Scanner in Lupu/Quirky/Wary
irishrm

PostPosted: Sat 09 Apr 2011, 20:55    Post subject: Re: pupserver 435 printing.  

jrb wrote:

On your client open Setup->CUPS PrinterWizard->No->Printers and you should see the printer you have installed on Pupserver435. Just choose "Set as Default" and its a done deal.

I have two clients and all that shows up are the printers that are installed on the clients.

▼ Queue Name ▼ Description Location Make and Model Status
CUPS-PDF CUPS-PDF Ghostscript Idle
epson660 epson660 Epson Stylus Color 660 - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.5 Idle
pdf_writer PDF Local Printer Local Raw Printer Idle
i,e the above:

The printer installed on the server is an epson830u and appears to be working properly.
I tried the search for printers option but nothing showed up.
Maybe its a problem with the computer I'm using as a server. If I don't find a solution I might try setting the server up on a different computer.(I have three but they are all ancient, 10 yrs approx )

Anyway I must compliment you on the excellent puppy you have produced. Even without the printing option its extremely useful and so easy to setup.

Thanks again for your help-irishrm
jrb

PostPosted: Sat 09 Apr 2011, 21:30    Post subject: Re: pupserver 435 printing.  

irishrm wrote:
I have two clients and all that shows up are the printers that are installed on the clients.

When you open CUPS on your clients do they see the printers on the other clients? What version of Puppy are you using on the clients?
jrb

PostPosted: Sat 09 Apr 2011, 21:39    Post subject:  

p310don wrote:
Sorry to derail the thread a little, but I installed shinobar's samba sfs, which is newer than the samba in this pup, and it does work to browse files on my n900. Shame, I like the setup provided here more!

I just uploaded
http://puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet.net/choicepup/PupServer435/pupserver435tngG.iso.
http://puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet.net/choicepup/PupServer435/pupserver435tngG.iso-md5.txt
This is the same Pupserver435 but using rcrsn51's tng samba server. Give it a try and see if your n900 will talk to it.

Good Luck, J
Page 3 of 7 [98 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: